Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I'd love that myself. I'm gonna grab Emerald of Chivor, but in a perfect world I'd want something without the red luster.

When you look at a really high quality emerald they frequently have a sort of shimmery luster in the depths of the cuts. You're absolutely entitled to like or not like anything at all, but the ink really is pretty evocative of looking into a giant emerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think I literally have enough ink to last a lifetime

but these sparkle :ohdear:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

NeurosisHead posted:

When you look at a really high quality emerald they frequently have a sort of shimmery luster in the depths of the cuts. You're absolutely entitled to like or not like anything at all, but the ink really is pretty evocative of looking into a giant emerald.

Oh, no questions, and it's gorgeous, I just want a straight green and gold.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I would be tempted, but the particles make maintenance a bitch, so unless they've improved on 1670 in that regard, I'll be taking a pass.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
I tried the 1670 inks this past weekend at the SF pen show (which was super great by the way). If the trial pens were any indication, Emerald of Chivor was writing fine mid-afternoon when the others were clogged messes.

Also dat color, so amazing. The red lustre adds depth to that green and really makes the gold pop. Not that I need more inks... :(

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

saphron posted:

I tried the 1670 inks this past weekend at the SF pen show (which was super great by the way). If the trial pens were any indication, Emerald of Chivor was writing fine mid-afternoon when the others were clogged messes.

Also dat color, so amazing. The red lustre adds depth to that green and really makes the gold pop. Not that I need more inks... :(

I didn't end up helping out with the show, but I heard the ink sampling stations were the bee's knees and received well by everybody. Ricky and co. are getting some great feedback regarding the event.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've only got a couple of cheap pens and I've only gotten ink samples so far.

I've found the Noodler's (Ahab and Konrad) are generally hard starters and are pretty wet with the nibs they come with. I ordered a couple different Goulet nibs but haven't switched them out yet

So far, the only problem I'm having is Private Reserve Midnight Blue is not working in my Pilot Metro F.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I put Goulet nibs (italics) in both my Ahab and Konrad and it was a big improvement over the original nibs so hopefully you'll have similar results.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Goulet nibs are the poo poo, yes. Although the Noodler's MF replacement is much cheaper and is pretty darn nice for the price.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You guys should give the nemosine replacement nibs from xfountainpens a try. For $8, they are easily as good as the Goulet/Anderson nibs. Also: the 0.6mm stub is really neat. It's actually thin enough to use for everyday writing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ooh, sounds nice, I'll check that out.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

aldantefax posted:

I didn't end up helping out with the show, but I heard the ink sampling stations were the bee's knees and received well by everybody. Ricky and co. are getting some great feedback regarding the event.

Yeah, it was great to take a break from staring at ALL THE PENS and sit/kneel, and swap colors with whoever was at the table. Someone would be all "oh wow this is neat" while testing some ink and then the rest of the table would look up and want to know what color it was. Even if some of them were unobtainium...

Really hope they do it again next year!

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Bless this thread, I bought a Pilot Kakuno and I'm so happy with it. Its such a great pen for note taking, but its also not too shabby with free-hand sketching. I bought ink refills for it, but I also got a converter to use well ink. However my handwriting is so bad that I'm not sure if i want to splurge on a metro or not...:ohdear:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Brother, if you sincerely have to agonize over a Metro, get out while you're ahead. This way lies madness.

If you're just being dramatic, :getin:

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
In my opinion the metro is just heavier. I like how the two wrote equally.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Nobody cares how bad your handwriting is, get the frigging Metro.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Kakuno is more expensive than metropolitan (in my area) and they write the same anyway.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Get a metro and shove the kakuno nib into it. You have something that looks expensive and professional to the, heh, lessers, but when the cap comes off there's a happy face to greet you! :·)

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
I'm putting in my order for a metro next paycheck, plus some namiki blue-black. I am also picking up some well ink to use with the converter, but I don't know what to get. Any suggestions?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kierena posted:

I'm putting in my order for a metro next paycheck, plus some namiki blue-black. I am also picking up some well ink to use with the converter, but I don't know what to get. Any suggestions?

Ink is pretty subjective it's like asking to recommend a movie.. Or a song.

What will you be using it for?
Colors?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
As subjective as ink can be, an ink guide similar to the OP of this thread would be pretty useful. The current OP gives a fantastic overview of pens, nibs and converters, but only gives a couple paragraphs about ink. It does cover some really important ink-related things, like warning against India ink and pigmented inks.

I think a good guide would cover different ink types, different ink properties (bulletproof, archival, etc.) and characteristics (dry time, well-behaved, prone to nib creep, etc.), what to consider when buying an ink, and an overview of popular inks and the different brands. (e.g. Waterman inks are typically well-behaved but come in limited colors, while Noodler's has a ton of different colors and properties but can be very tricky to work with, and by the way be wary of Baystate Blue.) I know a few goons create their own colors by mixing inks, and a paragraph or two about that would be really neat!

I'd offer to write this myself, but I'm the least qualified person ITT. (I have literally one ink, and it is black. :v:)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really like my Padrino trend lately.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I've made a good dusky blue-black ink. It appears a dark grey with a tiny hint of blue. I had bought the wrong ink and decided to make the best out of it. I got pelikan royal blue ink and noodler's bulletproof black to a 5 ml blue : 1 ml black ratio which makes it permanent, well at least the black in bullet proof.

unicorn dreams
Feb 6, 2015
After a conversation about writing the other day, my bf told me about this thread. I perused it and 24 hours later... I bought myself a Lamy Al-Star. :3:
I've never owned a fountain pen but have been fascinated by them for some time, and now I've jumped the deep end. Taking notes at uni will never be the same.

I feel like I've joined some strange SA cult or something... you guys have brought another into the fold. :worship:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

tater_salad posted:

Every collection starts with just one pen.. soon you have 10 pens and 13 inks.

Yeah, this. Especially if you discover that there are really good pens made for less than 20 bucks. Actually, the most money I spend was on a Waterman Expert and that one keeps having problems with starting slow no matter what ink I use, either waterman cartridges or Sailor ink. In fact, I could do with some help here. Should I just go and try a converter and other inks or is there something specific I can do? It is a really nice looking pen that I would like to use more.

Having said that, I have been using fountain pens since I was a small kid, we learned to write with a fountain pen in school. I remember collecting the little balls from the cartridges vividly, you had to break open the back lid off the empty cartridge with your teeth and if you were unluck you would have blue lips for a day. The small balls, I think they were glass, were then collected in another empty cargtridge that we would put in the back of our pen and over the course of the year, you would get a really nice jingling sound from your pen.
Later in High School I had a simple but nice parker which got stolen within a few weeks after getting it and my parents did not want to shell out another 40 bucks (today 80~100 I think) to have it stolen again and told me to get a ballpoint. Only when I went to college I got myself a real basic parker vector, in black, for a total cost of 12 guilders, 11 euro/dollar I on amazon these days so in effect they got cheaper. A few years back, I found it again, it got super clogged from using it with India Ink. Yes, I am stupid. So I got me a new stainless steel one and not to much later bought the Waterman I mentioned earlier.

Using the parker mostly because of the issues I had with the Waterman, I was pretty happy. However, last year I got a bit bored and ended up browsing some 2nd hand websites and I bought a series of pens, Waterman (new and used), Rotring, Parker and Sheaffer. Also I discovered that browsing ebay can be bad for your sanity. Go ahead, search for "Fountain Pen" and sort on "Price & P+P lowest first". Anyway, I got me a bunch of Jinhao and other Chinese pens, sometimes using the same sorting for other brands and try to not get in a bidding war. Only 2 or 3 Euro a piece! Not even use them for writing, just for getting a parcel from a far away land.

Then I found this thread. The damage is not that big, just some inks, a Lamy and a Pilot but yeah, a few more lined up for when I get my next bonus. Also my daughters expresses interest and as a good father I got them some Diamine inks, splurged on the full anniversary set (8 bottles for the price of 6, a real steal) and there is so much more that I need or else my life is not complete. Picture to display my weakness pending.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wouldn't recommend this but type in Jinhao into amazon.. they are stupid cheap.. write okay, and have lots of different styles / look like clones of other pens.

Edit: you can grow your pen collection right quick with these bad boys for pennies on the dollar. I've had 1 bum one out of 3.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 8, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This year's Hobonichis are out :D

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Are there any goon recommendations for some good, cheap-ish student notebooks? I need them for taking notes in class. I'm left handed, so a binding that won't get in the way would be great. Thanks!

(Even better if they're on Amazon Prime, too!)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I really like using clairefontaine wire bound books. Pricier than normal notebooks though. I've also heard that bamboo paper is super good for fountain pens but I haven't seen any notebooks of it around here.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Solumin posted:

Are there any goon recommendations for some good, cheap-ish student notebooks? I need them for taking notes in class. I'm left handed, so a binding that won't get in the way would be great. Thanks!

I picked up a TWSBI Large notebook for work a couple weeks ago, and it's incredibly nice. Great paper, plenty of pages, and it seems to be well built. I really like the size for taking notes (just slightly smaller than A4/Letter), but your preference may vary.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Clairefontaine staplebound will be better than wire for a lefty, no coil right under your hand.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks, I'll check those out!

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Solumin posted:

Check if there is a Muji store near you. Their stationery section is great and they have a student discount going on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Keetron posted:

Yeah, this. Especially if you discover that there are really good pens made for less than 20 bucks. Actually, the most money I spend was on a Waterman Expert and that one keeps having problems with starting slow no matter what ink I use, either waterman cartridges or Sailor ink. In fact, I could do with some help here. Should I just go and try a converter and other inks or is there something specific I can do? It is a really nice looking pen that I would like to use more.

Pull the nib and feed out and give them a good wash with dish soap. They're friction fit and keyed to the grip in the Expert so disassembly and reassembly should be pretty simple. If that doesn't work get a loupe and check the tip, the tines may be too close together to allow sufficient inkflow to the writing surface. If they are you'll have to spread the out a bit, there are a zillion videos on YouTube that'll show you how.

Amyways, I'm really starting to hate some of the people in this hobby. Reading a review on a Jinhao 599 (an obvious copy of the Lamy Safari but a very good pen in its own right) and people commenting about how horrible and illegal it is. Ignoring of course that; A) Its legal (the patent, if there was one would have expired in 2005) , and B) Copying is loving everywhere in this hobby. I mean poo poo, the Pilot Custom 74, Sailor 1911 and Platinum 3776 are all obvious copies of the MB 149 and nobody seems to give a poo poo about them.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 9, 2015

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It's a spendy hobby full of rich dipshits that are too busy smelling their own cinnamon-scented farts to consider their lovely stances W.R.T. these Chinese knockoff pens. They're a crapshoot and an obvious knockoff, but they're acceptable quality pens for like, two (2) dollars.

But lord forbid we not constantly lambaste a pen for being made outside of either Za Fatherland or Glorious Nippon.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, and Italy.

The Axis was clearly playing the long game, here.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I grabbed a Jinhao X750 and it's heavy as poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The 599 is a legit piece of crap though at least mine is.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The first metal-bodied 599 is a piece of crap. The second one made of plastic with the standard #5 feed and nib is quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cobalt impurity posted:

It's a spendy hobby full of rich dipshits that are too busy smelling their own cinnamon-scented farts to consider their lovely stances W.R.T. these Chinese knockoff pens. They're a crapshoot and an obvious knockoff, but they're acceptable quality pens for like, two (2) dollars.

But lord forbid we not constantly lambaste a pen for being made outside of either Za Fatherland or Glorious Nippon.

parker also make some decent pens.

i just don't get why you'd bother buying a lovely knockoff pen, when you could just have a good non-knockoff pen instead. you don't have to be rich to splurge a princely fifteen (15) dollars on a pilot metro, which is neither a crapshoot nor an obvious knockoff.