Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Also every time this has happened to me with mobile devices (I've gotten screen defects on I think every single Apple device I've owned, and I'm not even that picky; my current 6s Plus has two big white spots I need to get fixed) they've just gone and gotten a new one and swapped it on the spot. Not saying this will happen every time, but there's a definite non-zero chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Also every time this has happened to me with mobile devices (I've gotten screen defects on I think every single Apple device I've owned, and I'm not even that picky; my current 6s Plus has two big white spots I need to get fixed) they've just gone and gotten a new one and swapped it on the spot. Not saying this will happen every time, but there's a definite non-zero chance.

I sincerely doubt they do this unless you're close to your purchase date.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i've had that experience as well

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Maybe this is just me being a quaint Australian, but isn't the point of a warranty that a manufacturer is guaranteeing that its product is free of defects and will last a certain period of time? If you can't get a refund or a new replacement for something that is defective in the warranty period then that company's warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe this is just me being a quaint Australian, but isn't the point of a warranty that a manufacturer is guaranteeing that its product is free of defects and will last a certain period of time? If you can't get a refund or a new replacement for something that is defective in the warranty period then that company's warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Refurbished units are as good as new (arguably even better as they have more strict QA), and replacing a purchased-new unit with one is fine, given that you get a brand-new battery and whatever defect you had is gone.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Refurbished units are as good as new (arguably even better as they have more strict QA), and replacing a purchased-new unit with one is fine, given that you get a brand-new battery and whatever defect you had is gone.

A refurbished unit is still a second hand item. It is inherently less valuable than a new item. I'd be furious if I paid money for a new thing, and ended up with a second hand thing. Luckily it would be illegal for Apple to do what you're describing in Australia at least, but it still sucks that they do it elsewhere.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i will say that every apple product i've bought for both me and family members have been refurbished for the last few years and they've all been fantastic

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Lord Bude posted:

A refurbished unit is still a second hand item. It is inherently less valuable than a new item. I'd be furious if I paid money for a new thing, and ended up with a second hand thing. Luckily it would be illegal for Apple to do what you're describing in Australia at least, but it still sucks that they do it elsewhere.
Out of curiosity, what's your working definition of "new"? For context, Apple refurb iPads (I'm almost certain) have new outer shells and screens.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, we're getting into Theseus's iPad territory here. I've had a bunch of things replaced under warranty at the Apple Store, in Canada. You bring it in, they take a look, head to the back and bring you a second thing that has no problems.

FWIW, this process has been much more reliable for me than MacBook repairs, which have had a couple of secondary problems that seem to be related to the fact that the repair is just a couple of dudes in the store with screwdrivers instead of an army of Chinese wage slaves with the weight of modern capitalism on their shoulders. The repaired laptop is technically "my purchased-new" one, but it's practically poo poo in comparison.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

A refurbished unit is still a second hand item. It is inherently less valuable than a new item.
In-box, yes. The moment you open the box on your new item it is second-hand and inherently no more valuable than a refurbished one.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your working definition of "new"? For context, Apple refurb iPads (I'm almost certain) have new outer shells and screens.
Yes, the only thing they keep is the internal bits. Shells, screens, batteries, and anything else user-facing is replaced.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The second you've opened the box, you no longer have a new iPad, you have a second-hand one. If he had yellow spots and just waited months to exchange it, that isn't apples fault and he doesn't deserve a new iPad for his old one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Something that hasn't been owned or used by somebody other than me between the time it left the production line to the time I bought it. (some products are turned on/used/tested/etc for quality control purposes before being sold to a customer, that doesn't count.)

FordPRefectLL posted:

i will say that every apple product i've bought for both me and family members have been refurbished for the last few years and they've all been fantastic

Buying something second hand or refurbished is a valid choice to make if you want to save money; but you, the customer; get to make that call, and you naturally expect to pay less for the product as a consequence of it no longer being new - the same goes for ex display models of a product. If a company gives you a refurb to replace a faulty product, then you no longer have what you effectively paid extra for when you decided to buy new instead of buying a refurb - the privilege of owning something that hasn't been previously owned by someone else.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

The second you've opened the box, you no longer have a new iPad, you have a second-hand one. If he had yellow spots and just waited months to exchange it, that isn't apples fault and he doesn't deserve a new iPad for his old one.

It's Apple's fault that the product is faulty, and Apple has a responsibility to give him what he paid for - a new, non defective product, that remains non defective for the period of time Apple says it should. That is literally what a warranty is - a legal guarantee that the thing you just bought works properly and will continue to work properly for a certain period of time. It's appalling that you guys in the US have been screwed for so long that you'd be willing to tolerate less.

In Australia, I could take a year old ipad that stopped working to any retailer in the country and get a refund for it, or a new replacement if I preferred, and as long as I had proof of purchase the retailer would be obligated to give me a refund, or they'd be hauled into court and fined tens of thousands of dollars. I could probably do it for a 2 year old ipad if I was willing to pick a fight over it - the law says that it doesn't matter how long a manufacturer's warranty goes for, a product has to last a reasonable period of time (which is generally significantly longer than the warranty period).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

It's Apple's fault that the product is faulty, and Apple has a responsibility to give him what he paid for - a new, non defective product, that remains non defective for the period of time Apple says it should. That is literally what a warranty is - a legal guarantee that the thing you just bought works properly and will continue to work properly for a certain period of time. It's appalling that you guys in the US have been screwed for so long that you'd be willing to tolerate less.

No, I don't think it's that at all, as we reward retailers such as Costco with refreshingly liberal return policies. But I also don't think it's unreasonable to ask a consumer to at least report problems with a new product.

Also, I'm not in the U.S.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For what it's worth, here's the exact terms from the US warranty:

"Apple.com posted:

WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?

If during the Warranty Period you submit a claim to Apple or an AASP in accordance with this warranty, Apple will, at its option:

(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability,

(ii) replace the Apple Product with the same model (or with your consent a product that has similar functionality) formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or

(iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.

Apple may request that you replace certain user-installable parts or Apple Products. A replacement part or Apple Product, including a user-installable part that has been installed in accordance with instructions provided by Apple, assumes the remaining term of the Warranty or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you. When an Apple Product or part is replaced or a refund provided, any replacement item becomes your property and the replaced or refunded item becomes Apple's property.
It's ultimately at Apple's option, but I bet if you complained enough that it was like that out of the box (rather than developing over time), they'd give a new one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The distinction between "new" and "second-hand" here is kind of metaphysical, even how you're explaining it (why doesn't it matter if it's used in the factory, exactly? What is the significance of the packaging? If you have an iPad Air 1 in its original packaging is it a new iPad, a new old iPad, an old iPad? Why?). I think what we're saying to you is, instead, that as far as any consumer can tell, Apple is replacing your thing with a new thing and in this case the metaphysical newness of the thing is totally irrelevant. I personally prefer a functional definition of newness rather than something mediated by shrink wrap for exactly this reason, and it's not like I'm getting hosed by Apple that way because functionally the thing is identical to a new thing and I pretty much only care about how my consumer electronics function.

Though, sure, I'm all for better consumer protection but it's not like getting all huffy and weird about newness makes those laws materialize instantly, so it seems a little off-topic.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Are there any power banks that aren't chinese bombs?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Refurbs come in shrink-wrap, too!

Teflon Don posted:

Are there any power banks that aren't chinese bombs?
EDIT: Anker

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Trying to decide between an Ipad Air 2 or ipad pro 9.7.

Oh man, I won't be using this for drawing or such, mostly light games and comics, so an ipad air 2 is probably fine. But oh man being 3 years out of date with apple products seems dangerous thanks to apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Air 2 was by far the most powerful thing they'd released when it launched. And it's not even two years old yet?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mediaphage posted:

No, I don't think it's that at all, as we reward retailers such as Costco with refreshingly liberal return policies. But I also don't think it's unreasonable to ask a consumer to at least report problems with a new product.

Also, I'm not in the U.S.

If I read that it was unfixable then I would have returned it right away. I have read that Apple Store employees have told some with the issue in the past that it is an optical illusion (look at white walls and you see yellow dots too) and wanted to avoid the hassle since in some cases it was reported that it was some bonding agent that dried up over time and the screen would be fine.

The difference between buying something for full price new vs. something that had problems, was disassembled and reassembled (and thus should be sold at a discount) goes beyond "the second you opened the box it was used". I don't see the rationale behind that argument. If I was refunded an amount that would make it be a refurbished sale that would be one thing but paying full price for a refurbished model is ridiculous. I will take it in on Thursday and see what happens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rio posted:

If I read that it was unfixable then I would have returned it right away. I have read that Apple Store employees have told some with the issue in the past that it is an optical illusion (look at white walls and you see yellow dots too) and wanted to avoid the hassle since in some cases it was reported that it was some bonding agent that dried up over time and the screen would be fine.

The difference between buying something for full price new vs. something that had problems, was disassembled and reassembled (and thus should be sold at a discount) goes beyond "the second you opened the box it was used". I don't see the rationale behind that argument. If I was refunded an amount that would make it be a refurbished sale that would be one thing but paying full price for a refurbished model is ridiculous. I will take it in on Thursday and see what happens.

This all depends on how long you've had it, I guess?

Less than a month, I agree a new replacement should be standard. If you're 8 months in or something, I just don't think it's the same thing anymore. I just think if you have an issue with a new device, you really should do something about it when you see it, despite what the internet might suggest.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I have a mini and am having lots of trouble getting midi response with Ableton over Bluetooth. Is there something I'm missing, other than this super interesting return policy minutia?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If you can't tell the difference between a new and a refurb after it's been opened, who gives a gently caress? Especially in the case of something that you would otherwise be getting repaired. Surely you'd say it's reasonable that if they can repair (or should I say, "refurbish") the original device and return it, good as new,, that would be fair, right? What's the difference between that and getting some other refurbished device?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 22, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dik-dik posted:

If you can't tell the difference between a new and a refurb after it's been opened, who gives a gently caress? Especially in the case of something that you would otherwise be getting repaired. Surely you'd say it's reasonable that if they can repair (or should I say, "refurbish") the original device and return it, good as new,, that would be fair, right? What's the difference between that and getting some other refurbished device?

If I'm understanding correctly (and I very well may not be), repair isn't even on the table. If there's something wrong, it should be immediately replaced with a new device. Which is a stupid stance to take.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

derekcooper posted:

I have a mini and am having lots of trouble getting midi response with Ableton over Bluetooth. Is there something I'm missing, other than this super interesting return policy minutia?

Hmm...what are you trying to do with it, specifically? Are you using it as a control surface via TouchAble? You might get better responses in NMD's iOS music thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

flosofl posted:

If I'm understanding correctly (and I very well may not be), repair isn't even on the table. If there's something wrong, it should be immediately replaced with a new device. Which is a stupid stance to take.

Why should I have to wait while Apple repairs something? In Australian law, I'm the one that gets to decide whether Apple (or the retailer) repairs, gives me a new one, or just gives me a refund. Apple has no say whatsoever in the matter. That's how it should be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo go argue consumer protection laws in D&D or something.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

The Lord Bude posted:

Why should I have to wait while Apple repairs something? In Australian law, I'm the one that gets to decide whether Apple (or the retailer) repairs, gives me a new one, or just gives me a refund. Apple has no say whatsoever in the matter. That's how it should be.

The Apple site detailing the Australian consumer law doesn't say anything about having to give you an out of the box new phone, just that they will repair or replace it. You'll get a refurb and like it.

Actually, I just remembered I have a coworker who worked at an Apple Store in Australia last year, I will ask them to confirm. Pretty sure you get the same replacement stock everyone else does. You could maybe take it to a civil court or whatever and make them give you a new one but in store you'd get the refurb.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is really the dumbest argument. I've never had an issue with any apple refurb and I don't know anyone that has either.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

This is really the dumbest argument. I've never had an issue with any apple refurb and I don't know anyone that has either.

NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ITS THE PRINCIPLE WHICH MUST BE UPHELD UNDER SUPERIOR AUSTRALIAN LAW

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Australians went crazy over some chocolate milk that became really popular and they waited hours in line for it. Chocolate milk.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mu Zeta posted:

Australians went crazy over some chocolate milk that became really popular and they waited hours in line for it. Chocolate milk.

I guess when the wildlife evolved to kill you more efficiently might as well live it up.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

That was in New Zealand.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Does the new ipad pro 10" have some kind of framerate matching technology to fix 24/60 judder?
I thought there was some slide during the announcement presentation but might have just been misinterpreted marketing talk.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If it does I don't remember them talking about it. I think the refresh rate stuff was mostly limited to talking about capturing touch and pencil input, and maybe something about lowering refresh for static images in order to save battery. Would love to be wrong tho.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

I'm looking at purchasing an iPad Air, and debating which option is better: Buy new from Amazon (no warranty) or used from Apple Refurb (includes one year warranty). The price comes out almost exactly the same after tax, with the only difference being the warrantee Apple offers on refurbs (oh and Amazon will do same day shipping, woo...)

Which is the better choice here? I feel like Apple refurb could possibly actually be better than a 'new' tablet that has been sitting on a shelf for years, but my natural inclination is to go for new.

Mr. Pizza fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 26, 2016

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Get the one with the warranty.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Get the one from Apple. Their refurbs are indistinguishable from new, and come with the same one year warranty as a new one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Why would a new tablet from Amazon not have a warranty? But yea, Apple refurbs are really good.