Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

corn in the bible posted:

I'll be eating lamb ribs at Davila's in Seguin and laughing at your smallmindedness

We don't cotton to lamb bbq in these parts, mister. That sounds awful Ay-rab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...m=.573a9cb88310

Incidentally, the best brisket in Texas is now in Cloudcroft, NM, where some Lockhart exiles set up shop for some reason.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"Redneck Mother" was written in New Mexico too, which pisses me off irrationally

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Going back to the Capitol tomorrow with a bunch of other vets to pressure Abbot to expand medical cannabis. Wish me luck!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Going back to the Capitol tomorrow with a bunch of other vets to pressure Abbot to expand medical cannabis. Wish me luck!

Godspeed friend, god knows you'll need it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Office Pig posted:

Godspeed friend, god knows you'll need it.

Medical is a tough sell since it has a lot of moving parts, but at worst we're laying the groundwork for the 2019 session.

Decriminalization, on the other hand, has a pretty strong chance of passing this session and would mean 50+ thousand Texans per year getting a $250 ticket instead of a criminal record.

EDIT: among medical issues, they jacked up the price for a CBD license from a few ten-thousands to 1.5 mil, then under protest lowered it to $750k or whatever. Then (since DPS is somehow in charge of MMJ) they tried to require that every CBD dispensary have a 24hr off-duty armed cop guarding that precious CBD the junkies all covet. But I think that fell away when they pointed out that the people who grow it aren't guarding it 24/7 and freaking FedEx is delivering it without armed guard somehow.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just don't get mad if he doesn't get up to greet you. :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
any big protests going down in Houston this weekend?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Looks like Austin got hit particularly badly by ICE raids. I used to work at Govalle and Ortega elementary schools, thinking of those kids losing a loved one is really :smith:

I'm white and blingual English/Spanish, there's gotta be some way I can volunteer and use my privilege to help.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Looks like Austin got hit particularly badly by ICE raids. I used to work at Govalle and Ortega elementary schools, thinking of those kids losing a loved one is really :smith:

I'm white and blingual English/Spanish, there's gotta be some way I can volunteer and use my privilege to help.

When this originally started Casar put out a call for translator volunteers. You could call his office and see if they're still looking.

e: also I'm not sure how much this counts as helping but there's a no ban no wall rally at the Capitol on Saturday at 2. Facebook has 30k attendees so far so it might be big.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

The last I heard, Greg Casar was looking for bilingual individuals to help assist families at risk of predatory ICE agents. I am not entirely certain where that stands at the moment, but it's the best lead I can give you.

e;fb

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Xibanya posted:

It's not clear how those skills can change the law or enable you to go back in time so that you can explain they might not be fully thinking through the risk/reward trade off in trying to live in a country where they have no right to reside.

Do you have any construction skills? I hear there's this wall project that could contribute to lessening future heartbreak for those tempted to make similarly poor decisions today.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It's not clear how those skills can change the law or enable you to go back in time so that you can explain they might not be fully thinking through the risk/reward trade off in trying to live in a country where they have no right to reside.

Do you have any construction skills? I hear there's this wall project that could contribute to lessening future heartbreak for those tempted to make similarly poor decisions today.

I know it's only been a week, but let me remind you...

MariusLecter posted:

Go gently caress yourself with a rusty length of rebar.

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Choke on a forest of dicks, you loving chode

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Boy the CPAC train just chugs along and right off a cliff into the screaming abyss:

https://twitter.com/o_ema/status/834846716314652672

This is my stupid congressman.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:regd09:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I guess those kids should just get hosed huh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ICE agent: we're taking your mom and dad away to Mexico and you'll be placed in foster care and probably never adopted

Child: ¿Que?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

I guess those kids should just get hosed huh

If their parents didn't care enough about them to prevent this I don't know why you should.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

If their parents didn't care enough about them to prevent this I don't know why you should.

Yeah why would anyone want to protect children from things that aren't their fault, lol let's just legalize child rape imho I mean their parents didn't protect them from appearing on Jimmy Saville's show lololol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

do you support the molestation of children in religious cults? their parents should know better lmao

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Yeah why would anyone want to protect children from things that aren't their fault, lol let's just legalize child rape imho I mean their parents didn't protect them from appearing on Jimmy Saville's show lololol

I feel like their own government might have a prior claim on providing for their welfare before the US government gets involved. And while birthright citizenship is a bad idea, I do support state funded orphanages to help support or redistribute "American" children who don't want to follow their parents to their ancestral homes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Please stop entertaining the crazy guy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is like our thread's very own Alex Jones, good to laugh at, but don't engage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nm

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 24, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh good it's about time someone came along to relitigate the 14th Amendment.

:goonsay: Are descendants of slaves really entitled to citinzenship just because they were born here? Furthermore

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
http://wapo.st/2lPNqXe

There is no :ironicat: big enough for Louie Gohmert.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03/01/businesses-line-against-dan-patricks-pet-insurance-bill/

Has Patrick done a single thing since he got elected that isn't completely reprehensible?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

FBS posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03/01/businesses-line-against-dan-patricks-pet-insurance-bill/

Has Patrick done a single thing since he got elected that isn't completely reprehensible?

My sister was telling me about a cool guest lecture thing at various universities he pushed through, but I don't know enough about it to say it wasn't rooted in evil.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
SXSW may refer international artists to immigration for playing unofficial shows

gently caress SXSW

Even in the update where they try to clarify the issue they still come off as petty assholes

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If you're in the 26th congressional district, like me, Rep. Burgess is having his town hall meeting at FM Marcus High School tomorrow morning.

https://burgess.house.gov/uploadedfiles/final_march_th_flyer.pdf

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Wow, your representative is doing a actual in person town hall meeting! Michael McCaul of district 10 is have a :airquote:telephone town hall.:airquote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmi3Eryz_2A

He hasn't done a town hall since 2009.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

If you're in the 26th congressional district, like me, Rep. Burgess is having his town hall meeting at FM Marcus High School tomorrow morning.

https://burgess.house.gov/uploadedfiles/final_march_th_flyer.pdf

Is there a recording or transcript or something of this anywhere? By the time I remembered that this was happening today it was already noon.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Burgess is a cowardly poo poo, and I've been watching for his town halls since he's my rep. He sprung this stuff last minute and I couldn't make it :(.

Keep posting about him and his surprise town halls though itt - I wanna make it to the next one.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

karlor posted:

SXSW may refer international artists to immigration for playing unofficial shows

gently caress SXSW

Even in the update where they try to clarify the issue they still come off as petty assholes

The SXSW organization is basically a jealous Cool Dad, pissed off that all the unofficial events bring in the bigger/better artists. They've been doing everything they can for years to shut them down. One year they got a list of unofficial showcases online and called in complaints about every single venue to the city's police to try and get them shut down.

Interactive is the only part of the official festival that actually matters anymore. (And frankly, SXSW music has always been kind of mediocre. Like, this is the festival whose big discoveries were Hanson and Norah Jones.) Pretty much every big artists that plays at SXSW actually plays at an unofficial showcase.

It doesn't help that SXSW treats artists like poo poo. (Hey! Jump through all these hoops for us and we'll give you a 1:30 am "showcase" at a venue that's just a pizza place with a PA system for the week of SXSW. Oh, and we aren't paying you!)

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

LanceHunter posted:

The SXSW organization is basically a jealous Cool Dad, pissed off that all the unofficial events bring in the bigger/better artists. They've been doing everything they can for years to shut them down. One year they got a list of unofficial showcases online and called in complaints about every single venue to the city's police to try and get them shut down.

Interactive is the only part of the official festival that actually matters anymore. (And frankly, SXSW music has always been kind of mediocre. Like, this is the festival whose big discoveries were Hanson and Norah Jones.) Pretty much every big artists that plays at SXSW actually plays at an unofficial showcase.

It doesn't help that SXSW treats artists like poo poo. (Hey! Jump through all these hoops for us and we'll give you a 1:30 am "showcase" at a venue that's just a pizza place with a PA system for the week of SXSW. Oh, and we aren't paying you!)

Not being from Austin, is ACL any better?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DAS Super! posted:

The artists are generally better and if you get on the list you'll get a stage to play on in the park but I'm not sure how well smaller bands are compensated etc. If they have any of this immigration stuff in their contracts I'm sure we'll here about it in a few months.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DAS Super! posted:

Dunno, as a native Austinite I do my best to stay indoors and avoid the apocalyptic traffic either event causes since I ain't got the money to go to either.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DAS Super! posted:

It's more fun to attend, at any rate.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Malleum posted:

Is there a recording or transcript or something of this anywhere? By the time I remembered that this was happening today it was already noon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mBpCPt-8yc

edit: check out 1:10 of the video where the lady with MS goes after him pretty hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mBpCPt-8yc&t=4210s

JosefStalinator posted:

Burgess is a cowardly poo poo, and I've been watching for his town halls since he's my rep. He sprung this stuff last minute and I couldn't make it :(.

Keep posting about him and his surprise town halls though itt - I wanna make it to the next one.

I disagree with almost all of his policy positions, but at least he actually did a town hall. Even if he announced it on Tuesday the 28th on Facebook, that's how I found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Austinite, been going to festivals I hate since 2002.

ACL and SXSW are different experiences. ACL's a giant field and susceptible to weather. It used to be in September and was outright dangerous, but it's been better the last few years in October. Like said above, ACL gets better bands; if you stay past 6pm you're guaranteed a good show from someone you've heard of. You're trapped inside the festival, subject to lovely festival food and beer in plastic cups at terrible prices.

SXSW turns all of downtown into a Choose Your Own Adventure. If you spring for a music wristband, you can seek out free poo poo like swag, food and booze. The bands are awful but the experience is seeing weird poo poo from Finland and Japan. There's a .0001% you get to party with Kanye. Locals who have lived here awhile spurn those who buy wristbands and, god forbid, badges. So many bands get screwed by the organization into lovely venues at lovely times and go off the grid. An entire economy has sprung up involving free shows and shows unaffiliated with SXSW. There are probably more free shows than official ones by now. Ask for drink prices before you buy. That $8 can of Lone Star will be $2 at the bar across the street not participating in the festival. There are also liquor stores downtown if you wanna feel shady as you walk around and get the Experience.