Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

DizzyBum posted:

I didn't make this connection until just now:

Gold Roger and Silvers Rayleigh

A bit late to the party but better late than never :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zoro... zorro... am i the only one seeing this ??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monkey D. Luffy and Portgas D. Ape.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DizzyBum posted:

I didn't make this connection until just now:

Gold Roger and Silvers Rayleigh

roger had a crewmate named scopper gaban

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Crazyeyes posted:

Nah. Zoro beating him and getting that sword is extremely important setup for Wano. It absolutely had to happen that way.

Plus... I mean... it's not like Sanji took out Don Krieg, Nami took out Arlong, Usopp took out Kuro and then Vivi destroyed Crocodile. Hell, it's not like Zoro was the one who beat Axe Hand Morgan. Even in Ennies Lobby, which is the biggest departure from the One Piece formula, and Franky and Robin got to physically beat down Spandam, he wasn't the big physical threat that arc, Lucci and the other CP9 dudes were and they would've still killed/detained Franky and Robin even if Spandam was dead because they had their orders.

The Strawhats' role (Luffy especially) is to beat foes who are beyond the people actually involved in the conflict. It's how Luffy and the Strawhats forge bonds with people. It'd be against everything One Piece has ever done to have Brook beat Ryuuma because if he could do that he wouldn't need Luffy and Zoro's help.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

anime was right posted:

roger had a crewmate named scopper gaban

Oh poo poo, you're right.

Oda, you cheeky bastard.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Zoro totally got the final blow on Morgan, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Advice posted:

Zoro totally got the final blow on Morgan, though.

Zorro's beef was with Helmempo though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Gyges posted:

Zorro's beef was with Helmempo though.

Which makes it extra funny when they meet again and neither Zoro nor Luffy can remember him. At all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's insane how physically different helmeppo and coby are from their first appearance

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's insane how physically different helmeppo and coby are from their first appearance

Eh Helmeppo is pretty much the same, he just doesn't have that dumb hairdo and wears glasses to cover his eyes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Puberty is a magical thing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I feel like it's one case where Oda forgot that while he'd been writing for yeeeears at that point, less than a year had passed in the story.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Do you think Coby could take Alvida now?

For that matter, do you think Usopp could take the Franky Family? I like to think so.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I feel like it's one case where Oda forgot that while he'd been writing for yeeeears at that point, less than a year had passed in the story.

I thought that too until I started my most recent read-through. You get to see Coby's gradual progress during the cover stories. It's still a huge difference, but you get to see him getting lankier and developing abs.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

lowercase16 posted:

For that matter, do you think Usopp could take the Franky Family? I like to think so.

Haha, what? Usopp could take pre-timeskip Franky, let alone Franky Family. Have you seen those loving plants? Not to mention he has haki now. Not even close.

What's Helmeppo's dream? I know he's just kind of tacked onto Coby to give Zoro someone to fight in that matchup, but what's his ultimate goal?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The Strawhats' role (Luffy especially) is to beat foes who are beyond the people actually involved in the conflict. It's how Luffy and the Strawhats forge bonds with people. It'd be against everything One Piece has ever done to have Brook beat Ryuuma because if he could do that he wouldn't need Luffy and Zoro's help.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

lowercase16 posted:

Alvida wouldn't stand a chance against him now. She was one of the first pirates that Luffy beat up, and since then Coby has been training in rokushiki with freaking Garp, of all people.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I am expecting Coby to become a major player in the OP universe in the coming years. Gonna be vice admiral or something next time we see him.

His dream is to be a marine and he is living it. Luffy has lots of respect for him on those grounds even though they disagree on the philosophy of the world order as it stands.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Advice posted:

Haha, what? Usopp could take pre-timeskip Franky, let alone Franky Family. Have you seen those loving plants? Not to mention he has haki now. Not even close.

What's Helmeppo's dream? I know he's just kind of tacked onto Coby to give Zoro someone to fight in that matchup, but what's his ultimate goal?

I think Helmeppo wants to track down his father and bring him to justice, if I remember right.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought he just wanted to achieve rank and live a comfortable life like his daddy, without the whole corruption and rear end in a top hat thing?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Crazyeyes posted:

I am expecting Coby to become a major player in the OP universe in the coming years. Gonna be vice admiral or something next time we see him.

Haven't people been expecting that for like a decade at this point?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Haven't people been expecting that for like a decade at this point?

And we'll keep I expecting it :argh:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crazyeyes posted:

And we'll keep I expecting it :argh:

Given how long Fishman Island took to happen, it's not unreasonable to expect character payoff to take a while but to actually happen at some point. Coby is obviously going somewhere and it'll be at least Vice Admiral given his training by Garp and the fact he can use haki, but it taking a while isn't really unexpected.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

tsob posted:

I thought he just wanted to achieve rank and live a comfortable life like his daddy, without the whole corruption and rear end in a top hat thing?

Episode 68 of the anime involves that cover arc and it's really good. You should rewatch it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tsob posted:

Given how long Fishman Island took to happen, it's not unreasonable to expect character payoff to take a while but to actually happen at some point. Coby is obviously going somewhere and it'll be at least Vice Admiral given his training by Garp and the fact he can use haki, but it taking a while isn't really unexpected.

it took essentially the entire manga to date for luffy to be able to beat a vice admiral

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Official anime colors

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

... Cat Viper lost one of his arms

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Surely you know that's a cover for the volume introducing them, and not some sort of promotional artwork.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jose posted:

it took essentially the entire manga to date for luffy to be able to beat a vice admiral

I think you're thinking of admirals. They were beating vice admirals en masse at Enies Lobby.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

tsob posted:

I think you're thinking of admirals. They were beating vice admirals en masse at Enies Lobby.

Those were apparently of Captain rank, not VAs.

There were only 5 VAs total at Enies Lobby and none of them were seen directly fighting.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Luffy beat a Vice Admiral in one hit during the Paramount War arc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Advice posted:

Luffy beat a Vice Admiral in one hit during the Paramount War arc.

lol

Not counting Garp throwing that fight, I believe Luffy still hasn't beaten a VA. People presumably on his level or weaker (Law, Bartolomeo) have, though; it seems pretty clear that very few VAs pose a serious challenge to Luffy at this point.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Advice posted:

I don't know if he could take out pre-timeskip Franky, but that could be bias talking. Franky can breathe fire, though, and plants hate that.

Usopp did take out the Fake Hats in one shot. I doubt the Franky Family were any stronger than them. At least, the ones that mugged Usopp, which was the scene I recently reread and broke my heart.

Shoren posted:

Alvida wouldn't stand a chance against him now. She was one of the first pirates that Luffy beat up, and since then Coby has been training in rokushiki with freaking Garp, of all people.

True. But Luffy one-shotted Coby at the Paramount War. Luffy was much stronger by then and I can't remember if he used Gear Second, but Alvida's gotten a Devil Fruit power. Eh. It's something I'd like to see, even if Coby just chumps her. Then again, Coby probably can't fight her because she probably has immunity as a part of Buggy's crew.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Green Bull is Helmheppo. You heard it here first.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

lowercase16 posted:

I don't know if he could take out pre-timeskip Franky, but that could be bias talking. Franky can breathe fire, though, and plants hate that.

He'd just pull a Shaman King and have a plant immune or really resistant to heat.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Jose posted:

He knocked out a bunch of Giants/Vice Admirals during the Paramount War

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

lowercase16 posted:

True. But Luffy one-shotted Coby at the Paramount War. Luffy was much stronger by then and I can't remember if he used Gear Second, but Alvida's gotten a Devil Fruit power. Eh. It's something I'd like to see, even if Coby just chumps her. Then again, Coby probably can't fight her because she probably has immunity as a part of Buggy's crew.

Immediately following Enies Lobby, Luffy and Zoro chumped Coby and Helmeppo, too. I'm pretty sure Luffy was maintaining Gear Second for the whole war due to how high the stakes were, and that's a big advantage, though I'd still give Luffy the benefit of the doubt when he's serious (ref. Bellamy). Pre-timeskip Coby would have had trouble attacking Alvida because her fruit naturally deflects physical attacks, but she probably couldn't hurt him either. Currently, I'm sure Coby has developed his haki and could easily defeat her.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NutritiousSnack posted:

He knocked out a bunch of Giants/Vice Admirals during the Paramount War

there were only a few vice admirals and they hosed him up from what i remember but its been a while. of course they could have just only had the strongest vice admirals there

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
As far as I know, the only two VAs Luffy has ever engaged were Smoker (who clowned him multiple times) and Garp (who lost on purpose). None of the VAs did anything at Enies Lobby, and at Marineford Luffy basically ran directly to the Admirals and I'm not sure he actually engaged a VA (other than Smoker and Garp). He did punch a giant with gigant rifle right off the bat, but that was not a VA.

Since the timeskip, the only VAs encountered by the Strawhats are Smoker, Vergo, Bastille and Maynard. Luffy never engaged with any of them (he did briefly engage Tashigi in Smoker's body).

However, based on transitive defeats, it's pretty obvious that Luffy could have trashed any of these people if necessary; I doubt he'd even need gear 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Defeats are not transitive.