Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
So I finally cracked the tin of Tapatio KO's I got from one of those FB giveaways, figured I should try them out before ordering a case. Was pretty excited, as I've never found any 'hot' deens to actually be more than maybe slightly warm out of the can, and I do love KO's...

So the good news is, they were actually pretty spicy, hell yeah

Bad news is, packing and texture-wise, they were pretty bad? My fishes were all broken up into pieces and squished, dang thing looked like a can of catfood when I opened em, and nothing like the usual neat rows of beautiful lil' fish I'm used to from king oscars. Did I get skunked, did the mail beat the crap outta them or something, or are they all this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

they must've sent you some bad ones or something. here's the pic on their website

you should've taken a pic of it and bitched at em

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Tapatio got vinegar and water in there I would buy the normal ones and put Tapatio on myself after opening

naem
May 29, 2011

I wish you could buy whatever the mediterranean ones are flavored with in a jar, i’d just drink that stuff

like i’m sure you could mush up some olives or whatever

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I wish you could buy whatever the mediterranean ones are flavored with in a jar, i’d just drink that stuff

like i’m sure you could mush up some olives or whatever

Closest is tapenade. The trader joes store brand one is good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I read this thread but I'm still a 'dine newbie and can eat them but am still a pussy and get the boneless ones. Whatever. Babby steps.

Anyway I was at a new grocery store tonight and was getting the tuna in pouches because the tuna I have in cans is super dry. Like worse than usual. While I was walking there something caught my eye. KO Kipper Snacks. Not sure if I've ever had herring before but I'm going to soon.

I saw you guys mentioning them a lot and how many people can't find them. Since I saw them I had to grab it. Do you guys cook with them or is this one of those "grab a fork and go to town" things? Would they be good on a cracker and hot sauce or something?

I'm not sure when I'll eat them, I've been a little sick recently and want to experience them fully. But I'm excited.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
eat them. with a fork. but also on crackers with hot sauce. and on toast. and in a salad. just put them inside you. the kipper snacks are loving great

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I tend to have grand plans involving tinned fish (sardines most freq.) but usually just open the drat things and start eating them in the kitchen, introducing crackers maybe halfway out of a sense of obligation to the crackers, but occasionally saying "gently caress the crackers, you hear me?" and eating the whole thing, although if I made bread that day, that poo poo gets involved in some way, maybe pour a little balsamic or red wine vinegar or mustard into the leftover oil and dip the bread. Really can't go wrong. I get that bones are scary but my overall position on the matter is to eat the dang bones.

Kipper snacks tend to be in kinda big tins, though, so maybe the leftovers on a spinach salad, little bit of corn, I guess?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bardeh posted:

If you go to Waitrose they have a better selection of fancy dines. Parmentier are decent french ones, and there are some other fancy looking brands too that I haven't tried yet. Asda, Tesco etc all only have John West which are OK in a pinch but aren't great.

I live up north, no Waitrose here. Gonna try the mediterranean deli after work.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kipper...snacks?

You can get whole kippers in any supermarket over here, and they're amazing. Best on toast with a little horseradish imo, or made into Kedgeree which is the most amazingly delicious bastard of a dish.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Kippers kick so much rear end, definitely an easy way to start the slippery slope into Dine Dadship. Delicious smokey fish that's ready to eat.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
My local stopped carrying Kipper snacks where do I get them on the internet for cheap?!?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Kipper snacks own, whole kippers own, those dry salty kippers filets own. Eat kippers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Roki B posted:

My local stopped carrying Kipper snacks where do I get them on the internet for cheap?!?
If you can get your cart to $35+ (free shipping) go with Walmart right now
$1.88 a tin
https://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Oscar-Lightly-Smoked-Herring-Kipper-Snacks-3-25-oz/10291157

Amazon's prices vary depending on a ton of factors, I've picked up some good deals so it's worth keeping an eye on and buying a few bulk packages when they prices drop.

Amazon currently has a 10 pack for $29. You can sometimes get some really good deals on Amazon if you keep an eye out since the prices change constantly depending on who has stock.

Remember 3rd parties can sell on both these sites, so if it is from a 3rd party make sure to actually take a look at their profile before order. You can always pick another vendor if you don't like the cheapest one.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Had kippered brunswick herring, on watercress crackers with lousiana hot sauce while in my dad robe, 4/5 would do again. Feeling very dadly, tipsy helps.

Work the next morning and midweek drinking, very dadly

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 18, 2018

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Sounds like you're doing it right :cheers: :coolfish:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Pixaal thank you and ~dine bless~

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

brought in a tin of Bonta dines to supplement my leftover gnocci lunch

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

co-worker gave me a tin of sardines too

they said they bought a bunch for a lost cat and now the cat is no longer lost or something

FREE SARDINES

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Got home after work, looking forward to a small dinner of a salad with sardines. I could have sworn I had some dines on hand.

I feel shame.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Trader Joe's intermittently carries kippers, they're like $2.75 for a big can of the good German ones. I never go there otherwise but I do go periodically to stock up on them. Good stuff. Don't waste the oil, either, pour a little bit of it over some greens with some vinegar and pepper and you have made yourself a very fine meal indeed. Best served after a day's work with a couple cold cans of beer.

naem
May 29, 2011

literally just opened a can of, i think it was bar harbor brand smoked kippers. good as HECK. it has that smoky flavor that makes lox so good, but in a way easier more versatile form.

as good as bacon. only without all the heart exploding qualities

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Ill try smoked kipper next time

Going to the states on Saturday gonna pillage trader joes for dines, hot sauce, and i dunno other good poo poo.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Bar Harbor makes quality products, buy whatever you can find of theirs. I like Polar kippers a lot too - they're drier and meatier than the other brands. Trader Joe's are excellent as well. I've never had a bad kipper, come to think of it. Try them on eggs with some sauteed onions.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Going to the states on Saturday gonna pillage trader joes for dines, hot sauce, and i dunno other good poo poo.

Get the TJ canned trout. It's freakin' phenom.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Get the TJ herring in the fatty green can too!! Super good meaty fillets.

Also prolly some tapenade and mebbie brews, cheese and crackers/breads

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Flint Ironstag posted:

Got home after work, looking forward to a small dinner of a salad with sardines. I could have sworn I had some dines on hand.

I feel shame.

Roll Fizzledeen :(

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

numberoneposter posted:

I'm reasonably sure ALL kippers are smoked, as unsmoked kippers are just herring.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Coworker that works in the shipping department told me he gets unsolicited 'dine chat from one of the UPS guys, up to the point where he got a free tin of Season brand 'dines that he re-gifted to me. Which one of yall is a UPS driver

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What are kipper snacks? I bought some but I thought they were the tiny 'dines that KO had. But now that I think about it, I think those were something else. Sprats? KO Minis? I don't know, my 'dine game is still bad. I'm a beginner.

If it's just big pieces of big herring then I'll feel very Nordic and worldly.

Maybe I should get those bruschetta things that come in a bag (if I get crusty bread it will go bad before I finish it) and grab an avocado and maybe some lemon juice and go with that.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 19, 2018

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What are kipper snacks? I bought some but I thought they were the tiny 'dines that KO had. But now that I think about it, I think those were something else. Sprats? KO Minis? I don't know, my 'dine game is still bad. I'm a beginner.

If it's just big pieces of big herring then I'll feel very Nordic and worldly.

for "kipper snacks" they're one or two smoked filets of herring, about the length of the can. Better ones like King Oscar have bigger pieces, cheap ones like Brunswick are sort of pieced together.

the trader joe's ones are, iirc, about 2-3 fish, split down the belly and gutted. no heads or tails obviously. they come in a much larger can.

Polar ones are pretty good but I'd avoid the pepper ones. I love black pepper but there's just too much imo and you can do the same with your own pepper grinder.

all are boneless if you're a weenie like me and don't like bones in your canned fish. all are also extremely delicious on a cracker with some tabasco (i like tabasco on canned fish for the vinegar kick.)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

berth ell pup posted:

all are boneless if you're a weenie like me and don't like bones in your canned fish.

:hfive:

I'm looking for ways to ease into it and something that's easy on the palette. Kind of to hide the fishiness at first so I can build up to the good stuff. I've had toast with guacamole and KO Mediterranean sardines (not a good combo imo) and those were decent. It was a take on the Alton Brown thing.

I'm lazy and simple.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Last I checked the TJ smoked herring were no longer available :( As far as I could tell they were the same thing as the polar smoked herring though, if you can find those. Agreed on the pepper ones, they are packed in water and not quite as nice as the ones packed in oil. I can only find either at Walmart, unfortunately. I ordered 12 and they came in a case :yum:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BaconCopter posted:

Get the TJ canned trout. It's freakin' phenom.

It is. I love every canned trout I've had, but TJs is my favorite.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I enjoyed the brunswick kippered herring, picked up a can of crown prince. Dont let me down prince, i know youre not a king tho.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
giant stacks of Wild Planet in evoo, for a buck?!

aw, skinless and boneless only. pass.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Eat the bones

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lathespin.gif posted:

Is that at Ollie's? I'd pass on skinless/boneless 'dines too.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Looks like Grocery Outlet (formerly Amelia's).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lathespin.gif posted:

dang