Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I never thought I would live to see the day that someone gave a flying poo poo about the Ray. I mean I thought the character design looked awesome in the 90's but has the character done anything in the past 20 loving years. Did people honestly say "Hey, remember some obscure comic book character from two decades ago, I hope they don't change that character at all now". To compare the Ray to Wally West is pretty much insane seeing as one actually has name recognition and the other is the Ray.

Also lol at the whole rant being pretty much "PC culture gone too far" and double lol that it was the Ray that got that long rant started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alucard Nacirema posted:

This thread might as well be renamed DC Comics - All your favorite characters are black or gay now!

This but unironically

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just to elaborate on my previous so post there's no ambiguity: I realize it's just your opinion and all and as I said you're entitled to it, but if you have any desire to use this thread to further rail against stuff in this vein then maybe take up permanent residence at that other forum.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reminding everyone on the new page that the Batwoman announcement is amazing.

Now, back to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe we can have the new gay version of the Ray, and the old regular version of the Ray.

And then they can gently caress each other

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish they would make Ray black also because it would piss that guy off even more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

greatn posted:

Maybe we can have the new gay version of the Ray, and the old regular version of the Ray.

And then they can gently caress each other

they are father and son. you have made this worse

edit: with the Ray back I hope the rest of the old 52 Freedom Fighters come back.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dr. Manhattan stole ten years and also Ray's heterosexuality.

I have to laugh though because y'all know I'm way into the gay characters, and yet I find I still don't care about the Ray even now.
v:shobon:v

Still looking forward to the series though!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And hot news, he wasn't announced as gay today. That was days ago and nobody on Earth saw it as a negative, so you missed it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's time that DC broke new boundaries and gave us a black and gay Superman that utter tools can respond to with: "What's next? A Black, trans woman, lesbian Superman who has prosthetic legs and suffers from depression?"

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Roth posted:

It's time that DC broke new boundaries and gave us a black and gay Superman that utter tools can respond to with: "What's next? A Black, trans woman, lesbian Superman who has prosthetic legs and suffers from depression?"

AS long as DC follows that with an actual black, trans woman, lesbian Superman then yes lets.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Posting The Flintstones in the funny panels thread is a fool's errand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How about a trans MAN Superman? They are not getting the representation transwomen are. And his legs can be made out of the kryptonian metal from the ship he was sent in as a baby.

And transSupernan can't get gender reassignment surgery because he is invulnerable, and it's something he struggles with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

greatn posted:

How about a trans MAN Superman? They are not getting the representation transwomen are.

This is true, and would make more sense if they still want to call him Superman.

Mohawk Potato posted:

AS long as DC follows that with an actual black, trans woman, lesbian Superman then yes lets.

I love when douchenozzles respond with that kind of question and I'm just like: "Hell yeah, sign me up!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know why transmen seem to be invisible at this point either. I know a lot, they are out there, no one is telling their stories though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Posting The Flintstones in the funny panels thread is a fool's errand.

Well, funny is in the title.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Madkal posted:

I never thought I would live to see the day that someone gave a flying poo poo about the Ray. I mean I thought the character design looked awesome in the 90's but has the character done anything in the past 20 loving years. Did people honestly say "Hey, remember some obscure comic book character from two decades ago, I hope they don't change that character at all now". To compare the Ray to Wally West is pretty much insane seeing as one actually has name recognition and the other is the Ray.

Also lol at the whole rant being pretty much "PC culture gone too far" and double lol that it was the Ray that got that long rant started.

Uh yea he was a member of the JLA, he joined the freedom fighters during Geoff's first JSA run, and was featured heavily in all 3 Palmiotti Freedom Figther minis that came in the late 00s early 10s. He's also appeared in numerous Grant Morrison event books including Final Crisis and Multiversity.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So...i'm a bit annoyed at the moment after the announcement made at the NY Comic Con today that The Ray is going to come out as gay. Now there is nothing wrong with gay characters (Midnight and Batwoman are great for example) but changing an already established character just to follow what a tv show (actually more of a web based cartoon) or to fill some diversity quota is dead wrong in my book. I thought this was supposed to be "DC Rebirth" where characters go back to their most iconic state? The Ray has over a 20 plus year history in the DCU and he was never portrayed as gay in mainline continuity. In fact during Christopher Priest's run he even had a romantic relationship with Black Canary. I brought this up on another forum and I'm getting a bunch of weak rear end "Who cares its an obscure character" arguments but thats not the point. If you want to have gay characters in your justice league either use one that is already established or go make a new one don't just randomly decide "ok lets use this character but how about we make him gay because we need to show how liberal and forward thinking we are!". It's the same loving poo poo they did with Wally West when they made him black and thought everything would be hunky dory. Well its not and I'm once again angry at DC for pointlessly changing a character I liked when I was growing up and then they point to Morrison's Multiversity (who was using an else worlds version of the character plus I believe it was a different Ray on top of that) as justification. What a total load.

This thread might as well be renamed DC Comics - All your favorite characters are black or gay now!

:laffo: at this post. Sure dude. You use the term "diversity quota" unironically you have to realize you've gone to a dark, dark place. I think the Imgur comment section might be a little more welcoming than SA. Or poo poo try Stormfront or something.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

:laffo: at this post. Sure dude. You use the term "diversity quota" unironically you have to realize you've gone to a dark, dark place. I think the Imgur comment section might be a little more welcoming than SA. Or poo poo try Stormfront or something.

What?

I find it annoying that they took a character who has been straight for 20 years and are changing his sexual preference really for no reason (when they could have just created a new ray or a new character or put Midnighter in the JLA or something) and you tell me to go to extreme racist website stormfront? Did you even think before posting?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh yea he was a member of the JLA, he joined the freedom fighters during Geoff's first JSA run, and was featured heavily in all 3 Palmiotti Freedom Figther minis that came in the late 00s early 10s. He's also appeared in numerous Grant Morrison event books including Final Crisis and Multiversity.

And yet I still fail to remember when anyone was clamouring for anything Ray related.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Ray is awesome and him being gay is awesome, but I'll be honest, I sort of already thought he was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So how about that Red Hood?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Madkal posted:

And yet I still fail to remember when anyone was clamouring for anything Ray related.

That's totally irrelevant though

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite part about him is that he has two different states of mind: Cool guy and twisted loving psychopath.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

What?

I find it annoying that they took a character who has been straight for 20 years and are changing his sexual preference really for no reason (when they could have just created a new ray or a new character or put Midnighter in the JLA or something) and you tell me to go to extreme racist website stormfront? Did you even think before posting?

You are aware that people come out after being in the closet their whole lives right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Is he gay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Alucard Nacirema, they are taking characters who have been around for 40-50 years and making them different because those characters have existed for 40 years. Yet for some reason you only complain when they change those characters in ways involving race or sexuality. You should consider what that means about yourself.

You don't want to be told to post on Stormfront? Don't post like a Stormfronter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know what, I take back what I said about not caring. I now care a lot and really like this idea, solely and specifically because Alucard Nacirema does not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Is he gay

He's fabulous.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's amazing that different writers can have different interpretations of these characters that have existed for decades, change around different parts of their personality and adapt traits created in a popular adaptation, but the second a character's race, gender, or sexuality is changed is what some people will utterly lose their poo poo over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

It's amazing that different writers can have different interpretations of these characters that have existed for decades, change around different parts of their personality and adapt traits created in a popular adaptation, but the second a character's race, gender, or sexuality is changed is what some people will utterly lose their poo poo over.

I don't get why they made Superman fly. Why not just make a new character? Superman is DEFINED by "leaping tall buildings in a single bound" but it isn't LEAPING if he's FLYING now is it? Just create a new hero instead of trying to change characters to fit your ideas... especially because you only did it because flying required fewer frames of animation anyway. Lazy!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't believe that they're making Deadpool into a parody. What's with the disrespect for this character's valued history and for Rob Liefeld's original vision?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Personally I can't believe that they stopped Batman killing people with guns. This is what you get when you have the gun control nutjobs censoring artwork.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I seriously can't believe this level of faux outrage is centered around the fuckin' Ray. Talk about a Z-list hero, you weird homophobic goof.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyway, any character progression works or not through the quality of writing, so fingers crossed.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyway, any character progression works or not through the quality of writing, so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed that it sucks like that new Jamie Reyes book

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I honestly cannot, maybe even refuse, to believe that Alucard isn't an intentional troll. For what purposes who knows.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Fingers crossed that it sucks like that new Jamie Reyes book

You don't want a good Justice League comic?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

You don't want a good Justice League comic?

I do and I was very excited about one with Ray back on the team. But I like diversity when it comes naturally (Steel, Batwoman, Midnighter) not changing characters and saying things like "We need a Justice League that actually reflects AMERICA!!" Like wow way to pretend the Detroit era, Morrisons JLA, Mcduffies run, Meltzers run, Johns run, and the loving Justice League International (still the most progressive and diverse Justice League run ever and the longest) never happened and it's just been a bunch of white guys, a green guy and a woman these past 60 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Madkal posted:

Personally I can't believe that they stopped Batman killing people with guns. This is what you get when you have the gun control nutjobs censoring artwork.

You joke but this was basically an actual line of discourse in the Batman thread last month