Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

glad to see the cold-war era lesson of "don't use alcohol-based coolant because troops will drink it" really paid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I would have gone with expedient field grade purple jesus. Air Defense Artillery is little 'r' away from being an anagram of 'Nearer Fear Distillery', make your own joke with that.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 29, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It takes a special dumb to pour perfectly good hooch into antifreeze bottles.

Hell, the moonshine business in central Alabama was practically destroyed 10 years ago after a shitload of people got sick off a batch that turned out to be distilled in an old truck radiator. Practically everything's bootlegged over from Mississippi now.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

GD_American posted:

Hell, the moonshine business in central Alabama was practically destroyed 10 years ago after a shitload of people got sick off a batch that turned out to be distilled in an old truck radiator. Practically everything's bootlegged over from Mississippi now.

These are the kind of juicy facts I come to the thread for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GD_American posted:

They do know they can just buy nonlethal alcohol for drinking, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I would like to know more details.

The Mig-25 had about 300 liters of ethanol on it, used as either anti-freeze, cooling the radar, or injected into the engines for coolant or extra thrust depending on what sources you read. Supposedly maintenance crews would "siphon excess coolant" for recreational purposes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah but you gotta pay tax on that bullshit man let me get my lean on without the fed's involvement

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Midjack posted:

The Mig-25 had about 300 liters of ethanol on it, used as either anti-freeze, cooling the radar, or injected into the engines for coolant or extra thrust depending on what sources you read. Supposedly maintenance crews would "siphon excess coolant" for recreational purposes.

No, I meant what the gently caress those ADA were doing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Dudes used to bring gallon jugs of moonshine from their families for post patrol parties in King's Bay.

Tasted better than the $10/bottle vodka at the NEX.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
is it Alabama where they say at least we aren't Mississippi or vice versa, or more likely does that go both ways

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Alabama kentucky tennessee mississippi missouri all do it pretty much everystate around there thinks theyre the shining jewel of the south east

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

Alabama kentucky tennessee mississippi missouri all do it pretty much everystate around there thinks theyre the shining jewel of the south east

Stupid because the jewel is the city state of Atlanta, the rest are playing for a distant second place

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

Yeah but you gotta pay tax on that bullshit man let me get my lean on without the fed's involvement

Aka gently caress dem revenooers

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Stupid because the jewel is the city state of Atlanta, the rest are playing for a distant second place

I was going to make a joke about the jewel state being cuba or puerto rico but it wasn't coming together for me

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

I was going to make a joke about the jewel state being cuba or puerto rico but it wasn't coming together for me

It's for the best, Puerto Ricos probably cool, but I'm not so sure about Cuba, Guantanamo Bay probably doesn't have a lot good reviews from a lot of people.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The military can make even cuba suck

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

relevant xpost

WITCHCRAFT posted:

This reminds me of Torpedo Juice, in which US Navy torpedoes were drained of their 180 proof ethanol fuel to make a mixed drink with pineapple juice. The authorities that be quickly caught on, and added various unpleasant things to the fuel mixture. People still drank the torpedo juice anyway and tried to find ways of removing the alterants.

The wiki article says that the Navy eventually settled on adding croton oil, which would cause painful cramps, internal bleeding and a violent emptying of the bowels. This replaced the older use of methanol, which was worse; it left a bunch of torpedo chuggin' sailors permanently blind. Oops.

A little poison wouldn't dissuade the sailors though. They set up janky-rear end distillers to get pure ethanol. A more rudimentary method was to pour the torpedo fuel lengthwise through a loaf of bread, like a yeasty coffee filter.

Anyway, here's a cup of Everclear and a splash of pineapple juice. It'll get you hosed up real good, real fast. Maybe you'll vomit and poo poo blood tomorrow morning, maybe you'll go blind. Don't worry, I ran it through three loafs of bread. It's triple distilled.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you don't understand the appeal of good moonshine, I'm not sure I can explain it. Half of it is the "this is still actually illegal" thrill. Half of it is that if you get some really good stuff, it is....really good.

maffew buildings posted:

is it Alabama where they say at least we aren't Mississippi or vice versa, or more likely does that go both ways

Southern states are all about crab logic. As long as Mississippi is 50th in education, we're ok with being 49th.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

GD_American posted:

If you don't understand the appeal of good moonshine, I'm not sure I can explain it. Half of it is the "this is still actually illegal" thrill. Half of it is that if you get some really good stuff, it is....really good.

Its the same logic i use with ecstasy basically

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

today I learned the Georgia legislature very controversially sold what became Alabama and Mississippi for $500k in 1795.

IMO the buyers got screwed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_land_scandal

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Stravag posted:

Its the same logic i use with ecstasy basically

God do I miss ecstasy. Or cocaine. I hate being old with square friends.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I met a dude a few weeks ago, friend of a friend, and we were chatting and having a beer and he's like "hey I'm going to go outside and smoke a joint, not sure if you're interested at all...?"

And all of a sudden, boom, a smoking buddy with a good contact for buying falls into my lap and I'm 21 and chilling again.

Never take it for granted if you can walk downtown and buy high quality weed from a legitimate business. Australia needs to get with the loving program.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There are anecdotal accounts of Russian Tankers taking brake fluid and doing the same, but I believe they are apocryphal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Guest2553 posted:

relevant xpost

Add to the OP of the navy thread, please.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

shame on an IGA posted:

today I learned the Georgia legislature very controversially sold what became Alabama and Mississippi for $500k in 1795.

IMO the buyers got screwed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_land_scandal

Lucky for loving Georgia though, eh? Oglethorpe must have a woodie in the grave right now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

There are anecdotal accounts of Russian Tankers taking brake fluid and doing the same, but I believe they are apocryphal.

If it was in The Beast, it was truth. I will fight over this

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think the torpedo one may be too, in Dick O'Kane's biography they talk about Doc just having a big cabinet of liquor they refer to as "depth charge medicine" the Captain would authorize to boost moral, or after a particularly nasty depth charging by a Japanese destroyer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My father did one of his 2 Vietnam tours on a sub, and he said that by that time the only people that still remembered that poo poo happening were crusty old WWII holdovers. Electric torpedoes ended the need for the stuff.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The fuel ADCAPS use is not something I would want to drink or even smell.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GD_American posted:

If it was in The Beast, it was truth. I will fight over this

The Beast stole it from various anecdotal reports.

And that movie is so underrated.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Elviscat posted:

I think the torpedo one may be too, in Dick O'Kane's biography they talk about Doc just having a big cabinet of liquor they refer to as "depth charge medicine" the Captain would authorize to boost moral, or after a particularly nasty depth charging by a Japanese destroyer.

So your argument is that Joe wouldn’t stoop to making his own hooch so he could get drunk whenever he wanted because limited amounts of alcohol were given out sometimes?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I am the idiot and I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner the landlord did a super short notice walkthrough this morning and I spent a good chunk of the day cleaning and the rest getting my organic chemistry lab and lecture homework squared away. I am sorry if I offended anyone on the GiP Discord but I have not will NEVER use hurtful language or slurs against anyone in the GiP Discord. Everyone there has treated me with nothing but kindness and respect and I only wish to be able to do the same in return. It is a very different environment than some of the other Discords I am in, in that the GiP Discord is much less confrontational.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

McNally posted:

So your argument is that Joe wouldn’t stoop to making his own hooch so he could get drunk whenever he wanted because limited amounts of alcohol were given out sometimes?

poo poo man, I knew guys who made their own mead on a boring rear end airfield security pump.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Cenen posted:

I am the idiot and I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner the landlord did a super short notice walkthrough this morning and I spent a good chunk of the day cleaning and the rest getting my organic chemistry lab and lecture homework squared away. I am sorry if I offended anyone on the GiP Discord but I have not will NEVER use hurtful language or slurs against anyone in the GiP Discord. Everyone there has treated me with nothing but kindness and respect and I only wish to be able to do the same in return. It is a very different environment than some of the other Discords I am in, in that the GiP Discord is much less confrontational.

There's a GiP discord?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thump! posted:

There's a GiP discord?

Yes, it started as a way to reach out to people on the Get help thread.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cenen posted:

I have not will NEVER use hurtful language or slurs against anyone in the GiP Discord

Maybe don't apply qualifiers to "I won't use slurs."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

Maybe don't apply qualifiers to "I won't use slurs."

That's kind of at the heart of the issue, yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This post stolen from the GBS OSHA thread, who in turn stole it from Reddit:

quote:

[Ejection Systems] "What does this thing actually do?!"

This is less about a hobby, and more about a VERY small career field.

The Background

In the military, there’s no such thing as a regular old aircraft mechanic. The days of a pilot landing his fighter and being greeted by the sole mechanic who fixes the whole thing are long gone. Modern military aircraft are so complex that they require a multitude of different mechanical specialties to keep them in flyable condition. There are fuel system mechanics, hydraulic mechanics, engine mechanics, avionics mechanics, there’s even a Wheel and Tire section.

One of the smallest specialties are the ejection systems mechanics, commonly called Egress. When I say small, I mean SMALL; the Air Force doesn’t have more than 1,200 Egress troops around the world, and that number includes the Reserves and Air National Guards. The reason is because the Air Force flies a lot of planes, but many don’t have ejection systems. They’re limited to fighters, bombers, and the U-2 spy plane for the same reason school buses don’t have seat belts; the bigger the aircraft, the more survivable the crash.

Anyway, you also have specialties within the Egress specialty. Egress troops are defined by the airframes they’re qualified on. Some, like the A-10, are seen as easy to work. The others are in arguable order, in terms of difficulty, but everyone can agree that one of the top three most difficult planes to maintain for our system is the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

Hopefully, you’re all keeping up. I tend to ramble on a bit about my job.

Now, part of the reason for the difficulty is because the F-16s the Air Force has purchased are flying WAY past the established service life. We’re replacing parts that were never meant to be replaced. On top of all that, the Air Force has been upgrading the F-16 since the day the first one rolled off the assembly line in Fort Worth. Better avionics, more durable parts, all of it.

The Mass Confusion

On F-16 canopies (the polyurethane bubble the pilot looks through, and the encompassing frame), there is a metal pin.

It’s made of steel. About half an inch long, pointing down, on the very bottom of the canopy frame. It also has an internal spring, which means that when the canopy closes, the pin is pushed up into a recessed pocket in the frame. It sticks out just forward of the canopy locking handle.

And in the early-mid 2010’s (I think around 2014 or so), nobody had a drat clue what it did.

I mean, we all knew it was there. We just didn’t know why. It did absolutely nothing, as far as we could tell. It wasn’t integral to the operation of the canopy. It just hit a metal disk on the frame, retracted in when the canopy closed, and popped back out when it opened. Nobody had any idea what it was there for.

But we had more important problems to deal with. And we were heavy believers in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. So we left it alone.

Until we found a jet with the pin broken off. Missing items in a fighter plane cockpit are a Huge loving Deal ™. A tiny piece of metal in the wrong place can (and has in the past) cause a multi-million-dollar aircraft to crash. So when this pin was found broken off, a search was immediately launched in the cockpit to try and find it. Everything was torn out. Magnets, borescopes, handheld vacuum cleaners, every effort was made to try and find it.

And then supervision started asking the uncomfortable question; “What IS this thing we’re looking for?”

Literally nobody had a clue.

The most experienced mechanic had no idea. He asked our shop chief, who’d been doing Egress work for sixteen years. He had no idea. HE called literally every F-16 base in the WORLD, trying to find out what this pin did. Nobody had a drat clue why F-16s had this mysterious pin.

The entire time this is happening, his phone is ringing off the hook. Senior NCOs want to know what this thing is. Now officers are calling to ask him. Our squadron commander showed up pissed, because the Colonel asked him what the pin did and he “had to stand and explain that he had no idea, like he’s some sort of blind rear end in a top hat leading a bunch of other blind assholes”.

Rule #1: Don’t ever make the commander look stupid.

Rule #2: Don’t, under ANY circumstances, ever break Rule #1.

The Expert

While chaos is reigning, nobody has thought to ask the Expert.

Expert is a civilian who works in our shop. He retired from the Air Force in the late nineties, then came back to work as a civilian contractor because he likes the job. He’s been working on planes longer than some of the other guys have been alive.

He also does not concern himself with what is happening in the shop chief's office. He’s there to work, not get involved with officers, whom he hates with a fiery passion. And he doesn’t know that three NCOs are tearing through technical data in a valiant effort to figure out what the hell this drat pin is there for.

Finally, somebody realizes that the Expert is actually there. Happily and obliviously doing his own thing on a computer, answering emails, where one of the other guys is looking at an intact pin on another canopy. Said guy finally turned to the Expert, the first person to do so in the hours it’s been since the whole ordeal started.

“Hey, Expert?”

Expert lazily turns his chair, spitting a sunflower seed into a cup as he does so. He wipes his mouth on the collar of the work shirt he’s been wearing every day since 1998. “Yea?”

“Do you know what this pin here is for?”

Expert tilts his head to see the pin the NCO is pointing at.

“Oh, sure. Back in the early eighties, there used to be a sensor in the cockpit that turned on a light to tell the pilot that the canopy was fully down. That pin was the thing that used to activate it.”

“It did?!”

“Yea.” He looks up in thought. “They ditched it back in eighty-four, I think. Replaced it with the sensors that lit up when the hooks fully rotated.”

“Then why is the pin still here?!”

“It’s built into the frame. Can’t be removed.” Expert shrugged. “They just plugged the hole where the sensor was, and called it a day. Why do you ask?”

Four hours, we’d been trying to figure it out. Hell, people around the world had been trying. Facebook messages had been sent to guys in Germany, Italy, South Korea, Japan, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Qatar. And nobody had ever thought to ask the Expert, because everyone had just assumed that someone else already had.

The search was called off after another hour. The missing pin was never found. Within twenty-four hours, we had engineer approval to take a pair of metal cutters to every F-16 on the ramp and snip off all the pins.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Absolutely believe it.

Fun F-16 story: In the two seat fighters (specifically the training versions, I don't know how the Strike Eagle is set up), there are a couple of ejection settings...it depends on whether you want both people to have the ability to eject both seats or not. You can understand why you wouldn't want Local Reporter on a PR ride to get freaked out and send both of you rocketing out, letting a jet worth tens of millions of dollars crash into god knows what for no good reason. But in the event that both seats need to leave the aircraft expeditiously, the backseat is supposed to go first. Some time in the 90s, at Hill AFB, I think. It didn't happen that way. Dude in the front seat launches first, rockets burn the gently caress out of the backseater who then gets launched. Turns out someone had taken the plugs for the backseat and plugged them into the front, and vice versa. Because the connections were identical. The entire F-16 fleet was grounded for inspections, and an absurd number, like 1/4 or something, were connected like this. The plugs were redesigned so it couldn't happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

Absolutely believe it.

Fun F-16 story: In the two seat fighters (specifically the training versions, I don't know how the Strike Eagle is set up), there are a couple of ejection settings...it depends on whether you want both people to have the ability to eject both seats or not. You can understand why you wouldn't want Local Reporter on a PR ride to get freaked out and send both of you rocketing out, letting a jet worth tens of millions of dollars crash into god knows what for no good reason. But in the event that both seats need to leave the aircraft expeditiously, the backseat is supposed to go first. Some time in the 90s, at Hill AFB, I think. It didn't happen that way. Dude in the front seat launches first, rockets burn the gently caress out of the backseater who then gets launched. Turns out someone had taken the plugs for the backseat and plugged them into the front, and vice versa. Because the connections were identical. The entire F-16 fleet was grounded for inspections, and an absurd number, like 1/4 or something, were connected like this. The plugs were redesigned so it couldn't happen again.

Aside from the lucky contractor who made the redesigned plugs, who exactly had fun here?