Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if killing a God would supercharge fire Annie.

Court would probably be super displeased their appointed ambassador killed the leader of the rival nation.

How can you kill a god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Macaluso posted:

I'm really curious what Coyote's endgame is here.

The lolz.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Coyote is no liar,.and he said he wants to die.

Honestly, making Annie a god to match Kat seems like a reasonable endgame for him.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The lie is that the tooth works, it'll maybe wound/distract Loup enough for Reynard to steal Loup's body, uniting the three of them into one.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The consciousness of whatever body Reynardine steals dies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Macaluso posted:

I'm really curious what Coyote's endgame is here. Everything seems to be going according to whatever his plan is except for the Court folks being there.

His plan is to read from the script until an almost entirely passive/reactive main cast does whatever he wants.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

life_source posted:

The consciousness of whatever body Reynardine steals dies.

If anyone could survive whatever happens it's Coyote/Ysen/Loup tho

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Coyote should've contacted Aunt Maya day one; I'm sure the Psychopomps or such have the Throne's phone number.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

How can you kill a god?

What a grand and intoxicating innocence.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just like the tooth cut Shadow free from Robot, so to will the tooth separate Ysengrin from Coyote, thus killing Loup and restoring all. And the lulz

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
no true scotsman killing

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh poo poo.

Coyote wants to die so he can have the same kind of influence on the Ether that humans do.

When humans are taken away by psychopomps, they somehow power the ether and their belief gives it shape. Coyote has definitely expressed jealousy about that. He says he 'doesn't exist' because his reality is dependent on that system. So, he's getting Annie to bring him there. Dying in order to become more real.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 23, 2021

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh poo poo.

Coyote wants to die so he can have the same kind of influence on the Ether that humans do.

When humans are taken away by psychopomps, they somehow power the ether and their belief gives it shape. Coyote has definitely expressed jealousy about that. He says he 'doesn't exist' because his reality is dependent on that system. So, he's getting Annie to bring him there. Dying in order to become more real.

Trojan Horsing myself into the Ether to own the Court.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/comics/00002497.jpg

Annie pls understand it’s for the lulz

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Man, Coyote is truly a dick.

Forcing a child to commit murder to further his own ambitions is pretty low.

Also, Annie's lack of agency strikes again. Her first question is why her rather than a flat out refusal to carry out his plan.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

There Bias Two posted:

Also, Annie's lack of agency strikes again. Her first question is why her rather than a flat out refusal to carry out his plan.

Coyote's a god and a Trickster to boot. He's nobody's friend and always has been.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
"When it is done you will know what to do, but not how to do it."

This statement must have like 15 different layers to it.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I love coyote so much. This is a welcome respite from what came before.

The only sad thing is that Coyote never stays for long enough :(

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
thinking a lot about this strip:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=685

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

thinking a lot about this strip:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=685

This does beg the question, which Ysengrin would Annie be "killing" anyway?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

There Bias Two posted:

that explains this scene, at least: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1789

just a couple pages after relentlessly being a hapless pawn: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1787

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

There Bias Two posted:

She doesn't have much choice, given that Loup is about to know that's the plan. The chances of Loup not immediately reacting with violence aren't high.

e: not to disagree with her not having much agency! But it does make sense here, in this specific instance, even if that's a part of a pattern.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Does Annie have the tooth…?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fecha posted:

Does Annie have the tooth…?

I imagine Renard has it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Staltran posted:

She doesn't have much choice, given that Loup is about to know that's the plan. The chances of Loup not immediately reacting with violence aren't high.

e: not to disagree with her not having much agency! But it does make sense here, in this specific instance, even if that's a part of a pattern.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. I hope Annie DOESN'T do it, as much as I hate Loup and want him to die, because then at least Annie would be displaying some sort of agency. If she winds up doing what Coyote wants then it'll really feel like she's kind of just become a vehicle for the story to happen through.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Annie, Coyote is a dick he has been very upfront about that, why does this surprise you?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Maybe Kat will do it and it'll mess up Coyote's plan somehow

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hot take Annie will spend a chapter saying it was totally her choice to commit triple murder and forgives Coyote even if the entire Forest doesn’t agree with her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Annointed posted:

Hot take Annie will spend a chapter saying it was totally her choice to commit triple murder and forgives Coyote even if the entire Forest doesn’t agree with her.

What a creative hot take that hasn't been said about every other page this chapter.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

What a creative hot take that hasn't been said about every other page this chapter.

I know rite. In seriousness though I would like Annie to make the conscious choice to defy gods even if it is the bad choice. If only to see how she feels being responsible for what happens next instead of trying to live with what happens to her. I’d like the change to be “live with what she did good and bad.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Previously Annie was making her own (sometimes terrible, sometimes manipulated, sometimes both) choices. What's frustrating is that since the last zimmy she's only either been having stuff done to her or doing what people tell her, no questions asked.

It's like being merged back together has doubled her trauma from... everything. Given how every major decision she's made has in one way or another arguably made everything worse, it would make sense that she's completely lost the will to decide things for herself. Just depressively going with the flow. The only "decision" she's made recently is to forgive her father, which isn't so much a decision as regressing to her previous "He has his reasons" attitude.

Except it's really not being portrayed like that's the intended reading of what's going on. She's not reading like someone trying and failing to deal with a lot of past crap and breaking down from it (like during Annie and the Fire), she's just turned into a really boring character plot maguffin I'm no longer that invested in.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 24, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
she might be cottoning on to the notion that Coyote might have had something to do with the psychopomp's plot using the Annan ghost, which they discussed and dismissed previously - her role in this scheme is revealed to be more than merely a tool to poke Ysengrin with. Now she learns that Coyote intended to leverage not only her as a fire spirit but also her as a psychopomp. That's the "why me" bit - it's not really lacking agency as such, I think, inasmuch as realizing that one never had that agency to begin with

Annie still trusts Coyote as a friend, however unwisely; that may be ending soon

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 24, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ronya posted:

she might be cottoning on to the notion that Coyote might have had something to do with the psychopomp's plot using the Annan ghost, which they discussed and dismissed previously - her role in this scheme is revealed to be more than merely a tool to poke Ysengrin with. Now she learns that Coyote intended to leverage not only her as a fire spirit but also her as a psychopomp. That's the "why me" bit - it's not really lacking agency as such, I think, inasmuch as realizing that one never had that agency to begin with

Annie still trusts Coyote as a friend, however unwisely; that may be ending soon

Annie is learning a very important lesson: Trickster Gods are fun and cool at parties, but don't always have your best interests at heart.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Aw see folks he’s very thoughtful :)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
gently caress you, Coyote! Manipulative, self-absorbing jerk. I'm glad he's dead and Loup is better than him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fecha posted:

Aw see folks he’s very thoughtful :)

Yeah, he really cares about Annie's feelings. :unsmith:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
"cowardace"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Coyote you piece of poo poo

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

So in the previous page Coyote said that using the tooth would be "truly" killing Ysengrin, Coyote, and Loup... But if the tooth is really dang sharp, maybe Annie could use it to separate Ysengrin and Coyote away from Loup and make them two entities again instead? Maybe that's just me being hopeful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I assume that Coyote arranged to become Loup because Coyote couldn't die in the way a normal creature could and then merge into the Ether, so he's using Ysengrin to piggyback.