Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Golden Goblin's new costume looking weird...

I had no idea those armor figures were metal. That's badass. I just thought they were expensive lil hyperposeable and stylized mafex style figs. That magneto is badass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Golden Goblin's new costume looking weird...

I had no idea those armor figures were metal. That's badass. I just thought they were expensive lil hyperposeable and stylized mafex style figs. That magneto is badass!

That's the best part: they're so hefty. My one gripe is that the heads and hands are just plastic and they feel, not cheap, but less-premium than the rest of the figure. That said, I haven't had issues with any of them. Joints are all sturdy without being difficult to move, good range of motion. I'm a big fan

gregday
May 23, 2003

Made with actual bone.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Unless you pluck them from the corpse of an enemy can we ever be sure anything is actually bone?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Last Joe of the year doesn't disappoint.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

For 150 bucks I’d like the eyes to be printed correctly

Yeah like if this was a $100 figure I'd just shrug and honestly probably have a go at repainting it. But $140 is high, especially considering that the Yen is tanked right now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

He's loving perfect!!!

Gonna get this JJ and make him yell at me for photos of Spider-Man

edit: Jet Jaguar Jameson would be a good username

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Who does good bouncy balls these days?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Have you tried hitting up vending machines in grocery stores?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Have you tried hitting up vending machines in grocery stores?

Those often have a mold line that can throw off the bounce. And sometimes even a slightly misaligned mold In which case you might as well go gently caress yourself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The professional bouncy ball league player has logged in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a quality bouncy ball with a reliable bounce.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Is there anything that can be done to fix/stop plastic weeping? I pulled my NECA Simpsons Weird Al figure out of storage to display and the back of his hair is very gummy and you can noticeably see where it's weeping. Got it all over my hands before I realized what was going on. I know this happens, but it's my first time ever running into it in person.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Used to work at a plastic factory, and we used to make our own bouncy balls out of a left over material I forget the name of, and those fuckers flew.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Some of the stuff I got recently:

Amazing figures all around. The flutted armor is the only one that's kind of hard to handle since the torso seems to like to pop off with any mild manipulation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have that dread suit en route, what pushed me over the edge to get it was the magnetized wallgrab panel

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Captain Invictus posted:

I have that dread suit en route, what pushed me over the edge to get it was the magnetized wallgrab panel
Ditto, I got a notification that mine is enroute too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did anyone buy the Snake Eyes set that came with the white repaint of Timber? It was deeply discounted on Walmart.com recently, but sold out at all my local stores.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-I-Joe-Classified-Series-Snake-Eyes-and-Timber-Kids-Toy-Action-Figure-for-Boys-and-Girls-11/893660860

I'd be interested in that Snake Eyes figure for a custom, if anyone just wanted white Timber from the set.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did anyone buy the Snake Eyes set that came with the white repaint of Timber? It was deeply discounted on Walmart.com recently, but sold out at all my local stores.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-I-Joe-Classified-Series-Snake-Eyes-and-Timber-Kids-Toy-Action-Figure-for-Boys-and-Girls-11/893660860

I'd be interested in that Snake Eyes figure for a custom, if anyone just wanted white Timber from the set.

That guy has been going pretty cheap for a while, looks like the best deal right now is $27 at Best Buy. Hey, they lived up to their name!
I picked one up cheap at Target months ago, kind of an impulse buy, but I'm not looking to get rid of it at this point.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Maybe try this?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There were a lot of good guesses about my jungle environment the other day, but nobody got it.

My latest creation is actually all-but-forgotten early-90's PC-shareware platform-jumper Jill of the Jungle!

"Tarzan but he's a hot chick in a bikini instead" is a really well-worn trope in pulp fiction, dating almost as far back as Tarzan himself. Off the top of my head there's Rima, Sheena, Shanna, Jungle Girl, Cavewoman, and who knows how many others. There's only one with a special place in my heart, though, and that's Jill of the Jungle.

This was a game I played the hell out of in my formative years. if you're not familiar with it I found a pretty good video explaining what the hell it is. Basically this was an above-average platform game with nice graphics for its time and cool music, and also one of the few early examples of an action game with a female protagonist. I think of Jill as kind of a precursor to Lara Croft, but there's really not much of a Jill of the Jungle fandom left in the world today. If I didn't make a Jill figure myself it was definitely never going to happen.

As a 12-year-old I was particularly drawn to the suggestive vine-climbing animation!

This figure was built using a cheap wrestler figure as the base, but I chopped it up and totally re-engineered a lot of the articulation and completely changed the body proportions. An extensive amount of custom sculpting was involved. I had looked for a long time and never found a base figure that looked right for the project, so I basically built my own, using this cheap toy as sort of a framework to build on top of. The head used to be a Lara Croft head left over from a custom project of many years ago, but even that I carved down and extensively resculpted because I didn't want it to be recognizable as anyone else. Lots of scratch building here. Her hair started as layers of fabric soaked in glue, then I sculpted on top of that with epoxy putty.

At some point while I was building the figure I was struck by a persistent nagging thought: She's not Jill of the loving Shelf, she's Jill of the Jungle, and she's not going to look good displayed anywhere but in a large jungle environment. So I started simultaneously building this huge diorama display. It's got vines that can be moved around a few different ways, including the one she can climb, because that's important, and swappable day and night sky backgrounds with a hidden LED light to illuminate them. (It's actually pretty hard to photograph the backlit display, as it turns out.) I thought about adding some little animals or other accessories to the jungle but I didn't want to steal too much focus from Jill in the end.

No two pieces of promotional art ever looked the same for this character, so there wasn't a solid visual to work from in that regard, but I wanted this to be the character I pictured in my head.

My main inspiration outside of the actual game sprite was the art of Frank Frazetta. I felt like Jill of the Jungle was a Frazetta Girl at heart. He specifically painted a lot of sexy women in jungle environments, and they always looked like they could kick your rear end. His women were voluptuous, but also really beefy and strong-looking. Probably my favorite painting of his was "Moon's Rapture," which is kinda NSFW so I won't post it here, but look it up. I kept a copy of that in my folder of reference images. That's what inspired the full moon in the night background. And the big butt. (I can not lie.)

Will anyone but me ever care about this? Probably not. But I own the only Jill of the Jungle action figure that will probably ever exist, and I like it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That Jill figure is spot-on. You produce some incredible customs.

That diorama, though, is something else. I've wondered how folks go about creating environmental props, and yours is a fantastic insight.

E: "moon's rapture" lmao indeed, what a caked-up butt

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That is incredibly rad; excellent job! It's all super good, but man I love the texture and tears you got on the clothes. Thanks for sharing I love seeing this kind of stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Joytoy please slow down

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nerd Of Prey that was a fantastic read - thanks for sharing! Amazing work!!!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Gotta agree with everyone that reading the process and also seeing the process of making that fig was incredible. Not to mention it’s an absolutely incredible fig. :swoon:

I wish I had those kinda skills. I’d love to make some custom figs but I don’t even know where/how to start.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That Jill is fantastic and I really love that you share your process as well!

Tamashii Nations has announced that they are releasing a Jumbo Machinder Mazinger Z for it's 50th anniversary!

NGL I might try and get one to relive my childhood. Fingers crossed that if this one does well they re-release a Brave Raiden as well (I loved mine)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How much is that going to be selling for? Got a good friend that'll love this.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Roughly $140 but you'll need a proxy purchaser and then ship it from Japan. The package won't weigh much at all but it'll be big.

https://tamashiiweb.com/item/14741/?wovn=en

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mezco announcing their animated Batman line along with a nice looking Batmobile.

The set is $125 USD
https://www.mezcotoyz.com/5-points-batman-tas

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last package of the year arrived with 2 things I pre-ordered a while back

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Comics best couple is now complete

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My Ultimates Destroyah and 1200° C Godzilla arrived today. Haven’t opened them up yet, but they look amazing, way better than the Biollante wave.

Destroyah is so loving huge though, I was not thinking about space when I bought these :negative:

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

BSS: Bisexual Super Son > BSS Action Figure Megathread VIII -

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was not thinking about space when I bought these :negative:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My Ultimates Destroyah and 1200° C Godzilla arrived today. Haven’t opened them up yet, but they look amazing, way better than the Biollante wave.

Destroyah is so loving huge though, I was not thinking about space when I bought these :negative:

I look forward to the photos!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find the rest of the Batman Mcfarlane DC Direct set? I came across Scarecrow at Target and fell in love with it. I want the rest of them now so I can make Condiment Man.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

IG-88 posted:

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find the rest of the Batman Mcfarlane DC Direct set? I came across Scarecrow at Target and fell in love with it. I want the rest of them now so I can make Condiment Man.

They’re Target exclusive figures, so options are limited

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IG-88 posted:

Rotting on the pegs at target. You’ll probably find them. They’re all over the place

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Feeling like getting jerked around on my HASLAB HISS, still no shipping confirmation, nothing. I've contacted them twice, the first time said it was shipping that day which was good enough, a week later and still no HISS contacted them again and was told it would ship soon and that I needed to keep an eye on my email.

It's basically a fart on the wind at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

Rotting on the pegs at target. You’ll probably find them. They’re all over the place

my gf is gonna drive my drunk rear end around now to look for them, wish me luck