Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Virgin Islands and the Chad Greenland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

What's wrong with a sunset and a polar bear? I'll give you that the flag looks very similar to Japan's, but compared to the average flag, it's pretty good.
The flag isn't just pretty good, it's great. It's got just enough hints of the flag of Denmark that it's not just a straight up rejection of it, while still making the statement of "We are our own thing", and it's just a neat design.

BonHair posted:

Greenland actually gets two (of 179 I think) seats in the Danish Parliament though. Same as the Faroe Islands.

Also a more fun comparison is the Virgin Islands, which the USA bought from Denmark. Because we stopped having colonies, you see.
A pity we didn't keep them, the Greenland-West Indies-Faeroe Islands "Colonies of Denmark" club could result in some pretty interesting cultural mixing. Which is clearly the most important thing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BonHair posted:

What's wrong with a sunset and a polar bear? I'll give you that the flag looks very similar to Japan's, but compared to the average flag, it's pretty good.

Nono you misunderstand, it's perfect in every way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't the flag also a sunset?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't the flag also a sunset?
The flag is not the sunset

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I Mean

Especially since the Japanese flag is a sun.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nailed it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I Mean

Let me put it another way: The map is not the territory.

Mantis42 posted:

Nailed it

It's true. The top three are the countries most prepared to make a huge epidemic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yes, a year after the entire US epidemic team was fired we were really prepared for an epidemic.

Does make me wonder how things would go 5 years earlier, and how much political incompetence and malice from the worldwide rise of the far right has compromised our built-up defenses.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I Mean

I know a poke ball when I see one

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Nailed it

No amount of preparations can replace actual political will to protect your own people.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Page 1492

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Israel is well prepared. Why, they even introduced mandatory surveillance of all cellphones "to keep track of the infected and recognize anyone else who should be quarantined"

Can't beat that level of preparation, surely. The data will, of course, be deleted once the pandemic is over.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Emigrate to Ernst Thälmann Island! Help our new island thrive!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Post outdated maps with bad colour schema.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Post outdated maps with bad colour schema.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wallonia: ouch

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are the Wallonia numbers because of dust they breathed in in the now shutdown mining industry? Or because they are relatively poorer and therefor have less access to healthcare and stuff?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And is Britain reporting one nation-wide number, or is the UK as hosed as it looked like it was going to be?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
AFAIK Wallonia isn't especially poorer than its French neighbor regions.

So I went to find NUTS-2 maps of regional GDP per capita.

There's also the stark difference between Denmark and Germany. I think the respiratory disease map may be very affected by differences in methodology in each country.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
For some reason I kept reading "Wallonia" as "Wallachia" and was puzzling over how it was supposed to be looking especially bad compared to the rest of Romania.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Grape posted:

For some reason I kept reading "Wallonia" as "Wallachia" and was puzzling over how it was supposed to be looking especially bad compared to the rest of Romania.

You've been watching the new season of Castlevania haven't you?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Grape posted:

Both just mean "Land of Foreigners" in old Germanic, so kinda understandable actually.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

What on earth is up with their regions of Switzerland? Those lines they have drawn mostly don’t correspond to anything that makes sense unless Bern reconquered Neuchatel, Jura, and Fribourg when no one was looking.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Saladman posted:

What on earth is up with their regions of Switzerland? Those lines they have drawn mostly don’t correspond to anything that makes sense unless Bern reconquered Neuchatel, Jura, and Fribourg when no one was looking.

It's NUTS-2.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Both just mean "Land of Foreigners" in old Germanic, so kinda understandable actually.
See also Wales.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

bofa?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also Cornwall

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Saladman posted:

The Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics doesn't necessarily follow any commonly used administrative subdivision.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grape posted:

Oh man I did the same thing

Carbon dioxide posted:

You've been watching the new season of Castlevania haven't you?

Very close; I watched a speedrun of a Wallachia reign of dracula recently because I've been playing a ton of Castlevania. I've beaten 4 in the past month and a half!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
RED [BLACK] SEA

Also the Pacific Ocean with Japan, Indonesia, Australia, etc. Why not. New Zealand's missing, but that's normal.

Also there's an angry frog:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In fairness, the pacific is on a different sheet of paper and the two maps are just taped up next to each other by the look of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

my dad posted:

Israel is well prepared. Why, they even introduced mandatory surveillance of all cellphones "to keep track of the infected and recognize anyone else who should be quarantined"

Can't beat that level of preparation, surely. The data will, of course, be deleted once the pandemic is over.

And I hear they've just moved towards outright dictatorship with Netanyahu shutting down the courts (just before his trial starts) and suspending the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, until Monday by which time the country may be in total lockdown.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm Constantinople.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

What ethnic background calls Istanbul Constantinople and also recognizes the TRNC? :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the OPNC in that timeline.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deformed Church posted:

In fairness, the pacific is on a different sheet of paper and the two maps are just taped up next to each other by the look of it.

It looks like one of those maps where they switch up the locations even if they have to scale the landmasses funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm Constantinople.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKd50lrROc