Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'd be down for Worst Instance of Obvious Doublethink or Best Illustration Accompanying My Alternate Reality Fanfiction or What The gently caress Are You Trying To Say Here Seriously What The Hell.

The name of the award for the best edits should be The Pantsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cutting me to the quick RR

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Can we actually mail really lovely trophies to actual cartoonist who win? A small acrylic 3D sculpture of the pants donkey on a trophy stand would be amazing on its own.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Count Canuckula posted:

Can we actually mail really lovely trophies to actual cartoonist who win? A small acrylic 3D sculpture of the pants donkey on a trophy stand would be amazing on its own.
I think this has been suggested before. I am conflicted. On one hand not touching the poop is a pretty good rule. On the other hand the reaction of some, like rall, would be amusing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ruben Bolling makes daily comics that are often funny, and sometimes political.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JT Jag posted:

I say "Worst Victim-Blaming Cartoon"

I'd second this one, and the "Worst Sore-Winner" mention.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I guess Kelly is off this week, huh :smith:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's a good Lucky Ducky.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Complains about reverse racism, racebaiting and whites becoming a minority should probably get some love as well. Pat Buchanan award?

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd like to see Pettiest Cartoon. I know it isn't topical, but it just feels so right.

Oh, this one.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

seiferguy posted:

Kelly has something to say about the torture report.

Actually from 2007

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Dear god, I didn't know that Bolling's Lucky Ducky came from completely unironic Wall Street Journal articles about people making like $12k a year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_duckies :psyduck:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CampingCarl posted:

I think this has been suggested before. I am conflicted. On one hand not touching the poop is a pretty good rule. On the other hand the reaction of some, like rall, would be amusing.

I don't know, man, I think in the age of 3d printers I feel like somebody could make up a pretty loving wicked pants donkey statue, and at that point, how do you not make a physical award and mail it out? Paint those fuckers a really glossy gold and then mail them off, I'm sure at least a few of these fuckers would proudly display it on their mantles.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Count Canuckula posted:

I dunno, on the one hand that sounds hilares, especially if accompanied with Rorus Raz stationary. On the other hand, letting so many terrible cartoonists know that a lot of people care about their work seems counter-productive.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Of course if you know how the republican 1928 majority actually turned out this really shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

I'm having a dumb moment. What should I be looking up to read more on this?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I dunno, on the one hand that sounds hilares, especially if accompanied with Rorus Raz stationary. On the other hand, letting so many terrible cartoonists know that a lot of people care about their work seems counter-productive.

I think we decided that telling people about the gay abortions counts as poop touching in the very first gay abortions awards.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Worst of the year?

It'll have to be Kirschens Chauvinistic poo poo....

The total lack of introspection just does it for me.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

But the PolitiToons thread is a living document!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Kelly DID do a cartoon this week, but apparently it was critical of Onion policy and thus not put on the site this week.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

Kelly DID do a cartoon this week, but apparently it was critical of Onion policy and thus not put on the site this week.

Why are they on playground?

Aw gently caress it, it's Kelly :allears:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I love it.
I can't even tell if it's real or not. I've been reading this thread too long.

EDIT: Are there any links to the previous Gay Abortions awards?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I love it.
I can't even tell if it's real or not. I've been reading this thread too long.

EDIT: Are there any links to the previous Gay Abortions awards?

2013: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596352&pagenumber=1

2012: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523762&pagenumber=1

lol this old gem from Gorrell (laziest of 2012):

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chamale posted:

What new categories should we have for this year's Gay Abortions Awards? Normally there are 3-4 topical ones, I'm thinking one category should be for the recent string of police shootings but I'm not sure what to call it. Worst police brutality cartoon? Worst Brown/Garner/Rice/Crawford cartoon? Here are the recurring categories:

I'm still in favor of "Cartoon with the least amount of thought put into it beyond the most superficial possible level" (the name might use some work)

pkfan2004 posted:

What The gently caress Are You Trying To Say Here Seriously What The Hell.
(Yeah, maybe that) as distinct from AGC.

The go-to example is that one cartoon with the ghosts of Napoleon and Hitler celebrating the fact that France and Germany won't aid the Iraq invasion.

Monkey Fracas posted:

There were a lot of cartoons in which Mexicans were drawn as an unstoppable indiscriminate horde, as they might be in a A. Wyatt Mann cartoon.
Oh yeah - "man, gently caress adorable children" should totally be a category.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 16, 2014

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Thanks for the links, I was trying to find these ages ago but I couldn't find them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

beepsandboops posted:

Dear god, I didn't know that Bolling's Lucky Ducky came from completely unironic Wall Street Journal articles about people making like $12k a year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_duckies :psyduck:

Chris Muir: Lucky Ducky.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Would Worst Visual Metaphor be too close to Easiest AGC? I dunno. Terrible visual metaphor spawned AGC but I feel AGC has sort of expanded its scope at this point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Would Worst Visual Metaphor be too close to Easiest AGC? I dunno. Terrible visual metaphor spawned AGC but I feel AGC has sort of expanded its scope at this point.

I think they're distinct enough -- "new gun laws depicted as a giant gun", for example, is so terrible a visual metaphor you can't even AGC it (although gun laws weren't in the news this year).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

God I already forgot about how lovely some of these were.

I mean what the gently caress kind of criticism is this? I hate Branco so much.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone got a collection of the worst Asay cartoons? I feel like I need to raise my blood pressure a bit.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I'm still in favor of "Cartoon with the least amount of thought put into it beyond the most superficial possible level" (the name might use some work)
(Yeah, maybe that) as distinct from AGC.

"Laziest" has at least three Gorrell cartoons that just have a single line of text, no actual drawing.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It was a cartoon so bad that even Branco's ex-wife felt the embarassment when it hit the blogosphere.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Alexzandvar posted:

Anyone got a collection of the worst Asay cartoons? I feel like I need to raise my blood pressure a bit.
Asay was probably the worst on homosexuality, which is saying a lot:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Ha, took 2 loving years but I finally noticed the 2012 dog on roof winner has "8ADOG" as the license plate on the Obama truck.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Internet Kraken posted:

"If women females are given birth control as part of their insurance, they'll turn into promiscuous, disease-spreading sluts instead of demonstrating proper, hygienic harem behavior as is my due as a Manly Man Alpha."

This is the only way I can remotely make sense of this fuckfest, and I think I died a little inside just typing that.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

This 2012 winner for worst label, couldn't it be construed at being about Reagan?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Does anyone else involuntarily read the captions in Branco cartoons in a grating, nasal voice? It just seems so appropriate.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

This 2012 winner for worst label, couldn't it be construed at being about Reagan?

Reading (or writing) it and not thinking of the president who started the modern American state debt would be crazy.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Thesaurasaurus posted:

"If women females are given birth control as part of their insurance, they'll turn into promiscuous, disease-spreading sluts instead of demonstrating proper, hygienic harem behavior as is my due as a Manly Man Alpha."

This is the only way I can remotely make sense of this fuckfest, and I think I died a little inside just typing that.
Even then, the hashtags are nonsensical given the rest of the comic. Why would child support, broken condoms, and accidental pregnancies be a bigger problem if women get free birth control? :psyduck:

Edit: Wait, it's because those filthy sluts lie about taking their free pills, isn't it? loving Branco.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

Even then, the hashtags are nonsensical given the rest of the comic. Why would child support, broken condoms, and accidental pregnancies be a bigger problem if women get free birth control? :psyduck:

Edit: Wait, it's because those filthy sluts lie about taking those free pills, isn't it?

Yes, and because the only downside of getting someone pregnant is that it's a financial burden on the man. The woman just gets a ton of cash.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

I can't find a source on it, but someone i know who is getting a PhD in history (so probably a pretty good source?) said that there are Reagan white house staffers, who attest that Reagan was deliberately trying to raise spending and lower taxes specifically to accelerate the public realizing that government was bad and we should all but abolish it. Kind of like how Ted Rall wants republicans to win to accelerate social unrest towards a revolution, but from the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

alnilam posted:

I can't find a source on it, but someone i know who is getting a PhD in history (so probably a pretty good source?) said that there are Reagan white house staffers, who attest that Reagan was deliberately trying to raise spending and lower taxes specifically to accelerate the public realizing that government was bad and we should all but abolish it. Kind of like how Ted Rall wants republicans to win to accelerate social unrest towards a revolution, but from the other side.

Or it could just be that Reagan was a demented moron who genuinely thought that these were good ideas. I mean the guy campaigned on strong military and lower taxes.

• Locked thread