Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

the talent deficit posted:

he does this so he doesn't waste water on laundry

he also took massive doses of antibiotics to kill his gut flora so he could stop pooping and not waste water flushing the toilet. (he peed in the sink)

This can’t be real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's a bunch of weird poo poo he's done.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/27/soylent-ceo-rob-rhinehart-shipping-container-home-la?CMP=share_btn_tw

The Guardian posted:

After apparently abolishing the need for food with a meal-substitute drink, which spawned a $100m startup, Rob Rhinehart had another epiphany: plonk a shipping container on a hill overlooking Los Angeles.

The red metal hulk would be his home, an eco-abode with solar panels and panoramic views that would set a new benchmark in hip, minimalist living.

You get three guesses as to how that went.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

THC posted:

Lol all the Uber and Airbnb fanbois on my fb are upset as hell. Goddamn government regulations! :argh: *turns up Ben Shapiro podcast to comfort self*

Tech bubble is a mental disease

:yeah:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

on that topic, i have this theory that silicon valley techno fetishists are just the trying to get as close as they can to god without the whole god thing because gently caress YOU DAD I AIN'T GOING TO CHURCH AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME NOW THAT I'M BIG

Yep, the new gods are super lame, rip Old Gods.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

odiv posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/27/soylent-ceo-rob-rhinehart-shipping-container-home-la?CMP=share_btn_tw

This article is pro click

quote:

The grubby, vandalised ruin evokes a low-budget hipster Ozymandias. “Another city’s possible,” says graffiti, while broken glass crunches underfoot and debris, including jars of organic coconut oil and olive oil, lie outside.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Utgardaloki posted:

sorry gluttons, but food sucks and cooking/eating is a chore. i wish i could have soylent pumped into my stomach while i sleep.

Lol

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

DariusLikewise posted:

This can’t be real

I had to Google it

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/10/27/7078837/the-creator-of-soylent-stopped-pooping-to-use-less-water

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

namaste faggots posted:

on that topic, i have this theory that silicon valley techno fetishists are just the trying to get as close as they can to god without the whole god thing because gently caress YOU DAD I AIN'T GOING TO CHURCH AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME NOW THAT I'M BIG

Theory nothing, have you heard of Roko's Basilisk? They invented a techno-devil that will torture simulations of you for eternity because you didn't help create it as quickly as possible.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Soylent is also made in an abandoned paint factory and has constant mould and contamination issues, resulting in explosive diarrhea, projectile vomiting, cramps, nausea, headaches and the like for the idiots that keep consuming it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Utgardaloki posted:

sorry gluttons, but food sucks and cooking/eating is a chore. i wish i could have soylent pumped into my stomach while i sleep.

Just for the purposes of my research here, what field do you work in?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

NZAmoeba posted:

Soylent is also made by a guy who doesn't own clothes, he bulk orders hundreds of the same jumpsuit and wears each one once before disposing of it. This way he's optimised his fashion choices and no longer has to do laundry.

What

he does this so he doesn't waste water on laundry

he also took massive doses of antibiotics to kill his gut flora so he could stop pooping and not waste water flushing the toilet. (he peed in the sink)

WHAT :stare:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Utgardaloki posted:

sorry gluttons, but food sucks

someone sucks at cooking lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Soylent is fine, even though the guy who made it really is crazy. I ordered a case once just to try it, I can only describe it as inoffensive. Pretty effective at sating hunger. Perfectly suitable as a meal replacement if you're too busy for a meal now and then; under no circumstances should you try to give up all meals.

he also took massive doses of antibiotics to kill his gut flora so he could stop pooping

Does this actually work? I'm very curious in an academic sort of way, obviously it is a terrible idea.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 26, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Soylent is fine, even though the guy who made it really is crazy. I ordered a case once just to try it, I can only describe it as inoffensive. Pretty effective at sating your hunger. Perfectly suitable as a meal replacement if you're too busy for a meal now and then; under no circumstances should you try to give up all meals.

Does this actually work? I'm very curious in an academic sort of way, obviously it is a terrible idea.

No.

It'll also seriously gently caress up a whole bunch of other things like your cholesterol level and possibly even mood. There's new research constantly being done on the effects your gut biome has, and it seems more and more every day that we're just meat spaceships being piloted by bacteria.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Soylent is fine, even though the guy who made it really is crazy. I ordered a case once just to try it, I can only describe it as inoffensive. Pretty effective at sating hunger. Perfectly suitable as a meal replacement if you're too busy for a meal now and then; under no circumstances should you try to give up all meals.

Short answer, no. ~60% of the dry mass of your poop is gut flora. All this idiot is doing eliminating competition for potential pathogens for his GI tract and gently caress with his hormones possibly.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Soylent is fine, even though the guy who made it really is crazy. I ordered a case once just to try it, I can only describe it as inoffensive. Pretty effective at sating hunger. Perfectly suitable as a meal replacement if you're too busy for a meal now and then

Boost and Ensure already did all this long before Soylent came on the scene, in compliance with health Canada regs, and without giving you radiation poisoning

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PittTheElder posted:

Nope. Great way to get a gut disease though. All the bacteria in your gut live in a state of equilibrium; loving around with oral antibiotics can push it all in to a chronic inflammatory state leading to things like UC or Chrohns, or elimination of all the good stuff can open up a niche for expansion of C. Diff or the nastier E, coli strains.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

odiv posted:

I guessed he would have baked to death in his tin box under the hot California sun, but alas

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

THC posted:

Boost and Ensure already did all this long before Soylent came on the scene, in compliance with health Canada regs, and without giving you radiation poisoning

It's doubly funny because looking at prices, Boost and Ensure are the same price as Soylent, if not cheaper bought in bulk at Costco or something.

They're paying more for a shittier product made by someone who doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
But it's a disruptive technosupplement!

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 26, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I bet soylent would be even better if it came in bags and had to put in a $700 Internet enabled QR code reader/bag squeezer.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
He can just get a poo poo transplant when he's done playing technofetishist doctor

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

He can just get a poo poo transplant when he's done playing technofetishist doctor

Uh excuse me it's called anushacking

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

vyelkin posted:

Uh excuse me it's called anushacking

:golfclap:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

I'm just glad none of these geniuses have never decided to incorporate "blockchain" anywhere there.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

I'm just glad none of these geniuses have never decided to incorporate "blockchain" anywhere there.

That's a hell of the name for the bowel movements resulting from doing this to his body.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Relevant

The creator of this comic was completely amazed afterwards that poop transplants are actually a thing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Great chat about soylent guys

Very interesting study

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the gently caress is a "second generation" immigrant?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I enjoy how they completely ignore French.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah I'm totally going to see dr Singh MD from Bhopal polytechnic school of medicine u guys

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Yeah I'm totally going to see dr Singh MD from Bhopal polytechnic school of medicine u guys

Oh please, he went to stanford

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Loool

Y'all sjw fuckwits keep going to your degree mill GPs and I'll stick to my credentialism bias tyvm

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

You'll see the good doctor driving a taxi because there's no way any of Dr Singh's qualifications would be recognized here. Fun story, as of a few years ago graduates from top international schools have to pass national exams to get residencies in Canada, whereas even the worst Canadian students don't have to bother*.

*I have no idea how true any of that (still) is so feel free to correct me if it's nonsense.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm afraid the lol is on you CI for thinking more expensive == better education.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Cool, I had no idea that since my parents were immigrants that I'm still seen from a statistical standpoint as an immigrant as well even though I was born in Canada according to StatsCan.

So what the hell is the definition of 'native-born' then? My kids will be considered native-born or is there gonna be a third-generation immigrant category as well?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 9, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wirth1000 posted:

Cool, I had no idea that since my parents were immigrants that I'm still seen from a statistical standpoint as an immigrant as well even though I was born in Canada according to StatsCan.

So what the hell is the definition of 'native-born' then? My kids will be considered native-born or is there gonna be a third-generation immigrant category as well?

it the context of that study, every Canadian who isn't a first or second generation immigrant.

It's not that complicated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd say you're both native-born and a second-generation immigrant if you were born in Canada to parents who were not born in Canada, or Canadian citizens. It's an odd wording, but it works to describe this specific case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I get a little WORKED UP over nomenclature.