Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we don't see the same 5 heroes mirrored now tho? I mean it happens sometimes but it doesn't as often as it does, which is way better than the tank meta

e: if you're talking about stuff like overwatch league then you also get different team comps depending on the map, which never happened when it was all tanks all the time

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I am and I guess it's kinda better than before but anything not Dva/Winston/Tracer/Widow/Mercy/Zen is the exception and not the rule, sometimes you swap out the non-tracer 2nd dps for Mcree/Genji/Sombra/Pharah on some maps? There's not a ton of variety at the top level at all, it's just fun to watch.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

novaSphere posted:

I am and I guess it's kinda better than before but anything not Dva/Winston/Tracer/Widow/Mercy/Zen is the exception and not the rule, sometimes you swap out the non-tracer 2nd dps for Mcree/Genji/Sombra/Pharah on some maps? There's not a ton of variety at the top level at all, it's just fun to watch.

I have to argue against it being fun to watch. At first yeah it's neat but then every match is the same mirror match or "Well [team] lost the first point they're gonna have to make some changes to bring this back." (team swaps to the same cookie cutter build and oh hey another mirror match. cool.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bumper Stickup posted:

I have to argue against it being fun to watch. At first yeah it's neat but then every match is the same mirror match or "Well [team] lost the first point they're gonna have to make some changes to bring this back." (team swaps to the same cookie cutter build and oh hey another mirror match. cool.)

ok, yes, both teams running the same comps into each other gets dull, but this was the same problem tank meta faced only worse

tank meta was just two walls of meat poking at each other

dive meta is at least a more active fight

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ok I guess I meant it in a relative sense, I think tank meta was boring but dive meta is at least a way to pop off about <favorite player> because them popping off as a high-execution hero is fun to watch

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, that's the big thing that people straight up ignored about triple tank. Teamfights would consist of a minute or so of poking until either a) Ana and either Reaper or Soldier got ult or b)Roadhog landed a hook. Otherwise it was soldier/reaper poking at a Rein shield until it broke. It was always a mirror match of Rein/Hog/Zarya(Later D.Va)/Ana/Lucio/Reaper(Later Soldier). Any deviation from those heroes was incredibly abnormal, with only Misfits really doing it at Dreamhack Winter 2016.

In the past month of OWL, 16 heroes have ~3+ hours of play time (Rein is at 2:58:00, I'm counting him). 12 of them have more than 10 hours of play time. That's hardly a non-diverse metagame. The reason why dive is popular isn't because of Tracer/Genji. Tracer is the best hero in the game, but she doesn't define a metagame, because she slots into literally any team composition perfectly. Dive gets run because the dive tanks of Winston/D.Va are straight up better in almost every situation than any other tank, so teams pick heroes that compliment them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also a single meta is not inherintly bad. American Football has been running West Coast Offense systems for about 40 years, and while there have been tweaks and rule changes that have altered how it operates, its still the basis for every match even in different formations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Probably too late to be thinking of this, but can the difficulty based achievements for Uprising and Retribution be done on All Heroes mode?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Dr Christmas posted:

Probably too late to be thinking of this, but can the difficulty based achievements for Uprising and Retribution be done on All Heroes mode?

Nope.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kaubocks posted:

ok, yes, both teams running the same comps into each other gets dull, but this was the same problem tank meta faced only worse

tank meta was just two walls of meat poking at each other

dive meta is at least a more active fight

This is why I'll never wrap my head around people who think dive is some sort of blight on a competitive first-person shooter. Yes, it would be fantastic if a wide breadth of comps and strategies were equally viable and I hope steps continue to be taken in that direction, but Ana/Triple Tank sucked so fuckin much, the only other thing that's happened in Overwatch that sucked as bad was when they first mega-buffed Mercy and every game had rezzes popping off every 30 seconds, and they sucked for the same reason which is that it turned every single game into this grinding battle of attrition where progress only happened when one side reached the point of exhaustion first.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the extreme minority on this then because I absolutely love battles of attrition but hated Super Mercy. I'm also not keen on the idea that a character (or multiple) must be kept in trash tier lest they carve out a different meta.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the next defense character gets to create a literal trench

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bumper Stickup posted:

I'm in the extreme minority on this then because I absolutely love battles of attrition but hated Super Mercy. I'm also not keen on the idea that a character (or multiple) must be kept in trash tier lest they carve out a different meta.

If Ana can be made better in a way that doesn't facilitate a meta where the optimal strategy is pumping endless healing into the asses of tanks all day long then great, I'm all for it, but I'd prefer it happen in a way that emphasized something other than raw healing output and mitigation of things happening outside of endless poke shuffles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dive, tank, mercy, whatever. The current meta is stun meta and it's the worst

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
To be fair, since Ana came out, there have been several new heroes and big changes that have come to pass. Heck, Hanzo and Sym's changes will make them both very anti-tank. Brigitte as well is an excellent for creating openings vs Reins. I don't think even if triple tank became a thing again it'd play out remotely similarly to how it was before.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, as a tank player i'm just screaming "stop, we're already dead" at the new season

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

If Ana can be made better in a way that doesn't facilitate a meta where the optimal strategy is pumping endless healing into the asses of tanks all day long then great, I'm all for it, but I'd prefer it happen in a way that emphasized something other than raw healing output and mitigation of things happening outside of endless poke shuffles.

Ana has a serious issue in that she requires skill to get her healing out, but you need less skill to pump heals into a tank. Add that to the way a high health pool character or one with natural armour is often an excellent heal target even when you don't have to take potentially missing into account and you end up with a character that can be TOO good with a tank heavy teamcomp while being not good enough all around.

and right now the tanks aren't good enough to focus on them, ana isn't good enough even in a tank heavy comp and in a teamcomp that lacks lots of tanks she's an outright liability

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you must not remember the tank meta very well because everyone hated it and you were basically forced to run the same cookie cutter lineup every match. 5/6 heroes were mirrored every game at the bare minimum

so when did people stop picking zenyatta winston genji tracer and dva to stop this horrible meta you speak of

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Slime posted:

Ana has a serious issue in that she requires skill to get her healing out, but you need less skill to pump heals into a tank. Add that to the way a high health pool character or one with natural armour is often an excellent heal target even when you don't have to take potentially missing into account and you end up with a character that can be TOO good with a tank heavy teamcomp while being not good enough all around.

and right now the tanks aren't good enough to focus on them, ana isn't good enough even in a tank heavy comp and in a teamcomp that lacks lots of tanks she's an outright liability

This is only partially true. Tanks still are good, simply because they can counter a lot of ults, and dive especially is still very good. Mainly the only downside is that Blizz assumed Triple Tank would be returning and nerfed the hell out of it before it could even start. Literally every change done has been made with tank busting in mind. Which unfortunately makes them more vulnerable. As for Ana being a liability.. Sorta? It depends on the skill level of the Ana and the teamcomp shes running against more than anything. Since she lacks mobility she can be dived on really easily, but in regards to reliable burst healing, shes the best.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeliciousCookie posted:

This is only partially true. Tanks still are good, simply because they can counter a lot of ults, and dive especially is still very good. Mainly the only downside is that Blizz assumed Triple Tank would be returning and nerfed the hell out of it before it could even start. Literally every change done has been made with tank busting in mind. Which unfortunately makes them more vulnerable. As for Ana being a liability.. Sorta? It depends on the skill level of the Ana and the teamcomp shes running against more than anything. Since she lacks mobility she can be dived on really easily, but in regards to reliable burst healing, shes the best.

If you look at her win rate across all ranks of play she's definitely the weakest healer. Her winrate is significantly behind every other support.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Is there something I'm supposed to be able to do about Mercy's ult that is not "be good at playing as Widowmaker"

In fact is there any solution to any frustrating dumbass problem in this game that is not "be good at playing as Widowmaker"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bleck posted:

Is there something I'm supposed to be able to do about Mercy's ult that is not "be good at playing as Widowmaker"

In fact is there any solution to any frustrating dumbass problem in this game that is not "be good at playing as Widowmaker"

Be good at playing McCree

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

be good at playing any of the other many dps classes that also have more utility than widowmaker?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

i have two strategies for dealing with mercy ult:

1) use soldier ult
2) ignore her entirely

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

novaSphere posted:

But we see the same 5/6 heroes mirrored now! Why is this acceptable but not triple tank beyblade?

(I think because it's fun to watch compared to old tank meta, and some variation still happens)

Maybe at the top level of games but hooo boy down here in gold land that is certainly not the case. I mean you’ve got Moira’s and Junkrats everywhere but down here people use most of the roster throughout an average play session from my experience.

Not many Ana’s running around though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

so when did people stop picking zenyatta winston genji tracer and dva to stop this horrible meta you speak of

idk what you're talking about because people don't play genji now

but this was a little over half a year from when ana was first buffed until around when roadhog was gutted. oh and d.va was a tank staple too (after she got buffed anyway since this started when defense matrix was still a cooldown ability) so I guess that part never stopped

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk what you're talking about because people don't play genji now

What Overwatch universe is this and how can I go there?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bleck posted:

You can boost into her as D.va to scare the crap out of her.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

You can boost into her as D.va to scare the crap out of her.

In my garbage tier this is usually enough to boop her away from her target, hurt her, and maybe make her do something dumb enough so your soldier 76 can kill her then spam in chat the rest of the match about it

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My best anti-Mercy game was back in the Mercy meta; I played 76 and reserved my ult for literally nothing but countering hers. After the third or fourth time of getting mulched halfway through saying "gemeinsam kampfen wir" she went Ana instead.

Then we won because they didn't have a Mercy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bumper Stickup posted:

What Overwatch universe is this and how can I go there?

my post wasn't about qp. last guy that responded to me was talking about owl so I figured this guy responding to me was also talking about that

qp/comp meta barely exists and you can get away with just about anything. you think genji being poo poo and tanks being overpowered stopped genji from being in all qp games? because it sure as hell didn't

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

If you look at her win rate across all ranks of play she's definitely the weakest healer. Her winrate is significantly behind every other support.

To be fair, Dive counters her hard right now nor does she really fit into Dive metas well, and in low ranks people have a harder time landing shots.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kaubocks posted:

i have two strategies for dealing with mercy ult:

1) use soldier ult
2) ignore her entirely

okay but then what do you do about the invincible damage boosted team that will probably have something to say in the meantime

apply this response to all the other dumbass responses

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeliciousCookie posted:

To be fair, Dive counters her hard right now nor does she really fit into Dive metas well, and in low ranks people have a harder time landing shots.

Even at GM she's the lowest win rate healer.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Any XBox Bros want to work on some placement matches tonight? I'll be on between 8 and 8:30 EST. GT: Flexible Ethics

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
First impressions of the Brigitte meta: killing the supports is once again absolute top priority.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I know what I'll be doing this meta; stay far away from Brigitte with phara or soldier and hope my team will find a way to finish her off while I pound them from a safe distance..hope it won't take too long till they nerf her survivability.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
My last box of the event gave me Specimen 28. I think I have every costume I cared about at all from this event, minus Pajamei. My only costume for her above Rare is Lunar New Year and I'm tired of wearing it.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Brigitte is OP right now- how did she leave PTR like this? Completely game-changing in my comp matches last night. If your team doesn't have her, and the other does- good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

try not going within arms' reach of her