Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Listening to Kasich on Morning Joe talking about socialized healthcare, "that leads to rationing, which means the weakest get as much as everyone else and that's not acceptable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Turkey (as in, news media controlled by the Turkish government) leaked the locations and numbers of US troops located at 10 specific US bases in Syria (which also house French troops at two of them).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/turkey-leaks-secret-locations-of-us-troops-in-syria

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Listening to Kasich on Morning Joe talking about socialized healthcare, "that leads to rationing, which means the weakest get as much as everyone else and that's not acceptable"

Remember this poo poo when Kasich runs as the "reasonable" option again in the next GOP primary.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Dems scream

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Remember this poo poo when Kasich runs as the "reasonable" option again in the next GOP primary.

Yeah, I was actually pleasantly surprised he farted that out for that very reason.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

There is a reason why all these right wing rallies are having younger and younger people attending; they are starting off at a young age either through indoctrination or just sheer contrariness and getting twisted in that hive mind into cruel adults.

So much for the "Oh, just wait for the conservatives to die off/demographics are destiny" argument.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If this dumb country thinks that being able to drive is a right then healthcare should be a right too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Party Plane Jones posted:

Turkey (as in, news media controlled by the Turkish government) leaked the locations and numbers of US troops located at 10 specific US bases in Syria (which also house French troops at two of them).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/turkey-leaks-secret-locations-of-us-troops-in-syria

what the gently caress

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Invalid Validation posted:

If this dumb country thinks that being able to drive is a right then healthcare should be a right too.

Bro being able to drive ain't a right it's a privelege.

Hence you can have your license revoked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So much for the "Oh, just wait for the conservatives to die off/demographics are destiny" argument.

Pretty much. The new generation of conservatives is out in force, they're just fueled by raw nihilistic malice instead without the veneer of "old fashioned values."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Tell that to old people.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

People can have rights revoked.

Hence some felons can't vote or own a gun.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sorry if this has been posted before (thread moves fast) but breaking news, Trump is Fat.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/18/is-the-president-fit-215385

*EDIT*

I had no idea about this bit:

quote:

Donald Trump was once an athlete, a star first baseman, in fact. In high school at the New York Military Academy, he was, according to his coach, talented enough to be drafted. But Trump headed off to Fordham instead of pursuing a pro career because, as he put it, “there was no money in it.” At Fordham, he tried out for the football team as a punter, but quit after suffering an ankle injury and settled for a spot on the squash team (he later transferred to Penn). And despite his athletic background, Trump received a medical deferral from the Vietnam War for bone spurs in 1968.

The world would have been a better place (maybe?) if he just stuck to being an OK baseball player.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 19, 2017

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It turns out that the farther away from living memory of authoritarianism you get, the more attractive it becomes.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Is there any republican the democrats could hold up and say "If you get rid of trump, we could get beind you replacing him with this person"?

Hypotheticaly of course

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL @ batshit moron Dana Roarbacher being an actual Russian agent.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Is there any republican the democrats could hold up and say "If you get rid of trump, we could get beind you replacing him with this person"?

Maybe Sandoval?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Hobo Erotica posted:

It doesn't matter if there is because the line of succession is clearly defined in law.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The funny thing about Hannity's "lock them in a hot room until they have a deal" approach is it wouldn't work. Maybe they reach a deal. Then you have to schedule a vote and schedule proper floor time, etc.

The second they leave the room they have real food, air conditioning, and cellphones again, and a lot of people with opinions, and are no longer making decisions based on being a hostage.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Invalid Validation posted:

Tell that to old people.

True story: a friend of mine had to spend a few weeks in Sarasota for work a couple years ago. During the orientation, the speaker warned everyone not to walk anywhere unless it was absolutely necessary, because the olds control just about everything around there, and police and whatnot are so afraid of pissing them off that you'd have people driving well past the age of 90. Apparently vehicle on pedestrian accidents are super frequent, and trying to prosecute the drivers never really goes anywhere. Florida sounds terrifying.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before (thread moves fast) but breaking news, Trump is Fat.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/18/is-the-president-fit-215385

Big (and Beautiful) if True

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Hobo Erotica posted:

Hypotheticaly of course

There's a whole line of succession behind Trump filled with people unacceptable to the democrats, and no constitutional method by which a new election could be held OR a specific individual appointed to the position.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/887671308636614660

I get two scoops of scream death

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/887656025733570560

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I think they're laying the groundwork to outlaw taking time off for lunch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crow Jane posted:

True story: a friend of mine had to spend a few weeks in Sarasota for work a couple years ago. During the orientation, the speaker warned everyone not to walk anywhere unless it was absolutely necessary, because the olds control just about everything around there, and police and whatnot are so afraid of pissing them off that you'd have people driving well past the age of 90. Apparently vehicle on pedestrian accidents are super frequent, and trying to prosecute the drivers never really goes anywhere. Florida sounds terrifying.
I've lived in FL my entire life and I have not really run into that outside of like Naples where there are a lot of retirees

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Erdogan would prefer and welcome isis so I can't see how this is news.

Turkey should be under serious consideration to be removed from NATO, imo. He's actively working against us at this point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He's never been caught overestimating how stupid his fanboys/the republican base is before.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

To some extent, but young people still voted much more Democratic than old people in 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

At what point does something happen to remove people from positions of power who are openly bought by other countries?

Shouldn't something, anything, of happened to Trump Jr at this point too?...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JVNO posted:

There's a whole line of succession behind Trump filled with people unacceptable to the democrats, and no constitutional method by which a new election could be held OR a specific individual appointed to the position.

Nah Speaker of the House is second in line and you can make anyone Speaker at any time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Erotica posted:

Hypotheticaly of course

Ben Sasse.

He's an idiot and wouldn't get a lot done, but you can also pick his heart strings and get him to care about people enough to maybe not persecute them.

Susan Collins.

Her questions in hearings haven't been dogshit partisan vomit, and she's clearly interested in governing from the center.

Comedy Option: Hilary "Neocon" Clinton.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The funny thing about Hannity's "lock them in a hot room until they have a deal" approach is it wouldn't work. Maybe they reach a deal. Then you have to schedule a vote and schedule proper floor time, etc.

The second they leave the room they have real food, air conditioning, and cellphones again, and a lot of people with opinions, and are no longer making decisions based on being a hostage.

No, the funny thing about Hannity is always his stupid loving face and constantly escalating tone.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 19, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Ben Sasse.

He's an idiot and wouldn't get a lot done, but you can also pick his heart strings and get him to care about people enough to maybe not persecute them.

Susan Collins.

Her questions in hearings haven't been dogshit partisan vomit, and she's clearly interested in governing from the center.

Comedy Option: Hilary "Neocon" Clinton.

Ben Sasse is a creepy fraud. He's not your friend.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't pretend there's not an ever-increasing cost associated with new technology development. It's a cost driver that must be accounted for.

This is pages old but this is a myth on the level of "getting a raise made me take home less because of taxes!"

R&D basically never can factor into the price of an item.

Someone invents a widget/pill and then hands it to the accountants, the accounts graph out "if we priced it for 5 dollars we'd sell x and make X profit", "if we priced it for 50 dollars we'd sell y and make Y profit", "if we priced it for 5 million dollars we'd sell z and make Z profit" and it makes a curve, and you find the highest point on the curve and sell it at that. That curve doesn't change depending on how much it cost you to get to widget #1, there is a right answer of what price to sell at is the most profitable and you pick that one, because of course you do. If the curve says "sell at 5 million dollars" and it cost you a nickle to make that's great, if you spent a trillion dollars and the curve says "you'd make the most selling them at 1 cent" then you sell at one cent to make the money money and recoup your trillion fastest.

It's a myth based on a mistake you see failing restaurants do a lot, equating "higher price" with "we make more money" , the curve is the curve and you always want to pick the top spot, you don't get to find the most profitable price then say "yeah but this cost us a lot to develop" and then slide the price up a couple dollars to make more money, that makes you less money.

If a drug is most profitable selling at 50,000 a pill it'd be most profitable at 50,000 a pill regardless of how much it took to develop. If it took a lot to develop or very little to develop you'd price it at where it's most profitable to sell it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Ben Sasse is a creepy fraud. He's not your friend.

I'm picking a hypothetical "republican I could stomach being president" not "guy I like and would want to hang with".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

I'm picking a hypothetical "republican I could stomach being president" not "guy I like and would want to hang with".

I know. But you couldn't stomach Sasse. He's a creep.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I know. But you couldn't stomach Sasse. He's a creep.

He made an awesome weed joke once about himself and that endears him to me in a way, but everything else I've seen of him indicates he's moron.

Again, he's one of few republican who isn't acting like a partisan wank in these recent public hearings.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sasse was in favor of repeal and delay replace, he is absolutely not one of the good ones

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Down in the park where the Dems scream "Death, death, death!" until the pres cries mourning
Down in the park with friends in crime

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

Sasse was in favor of repeal and delay replace, he is absolutely not one of the good ones

Yeah, he's not stood out in the healthcare debacle, which counts him as one of the poo poo ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

He made an awesome weed joke once about himself and that endears him to me in a way, but everything else I've seen of him indicates he's moron.

Again, he's one of few republican who isn't acting like a partisan wank in these recent public hearings.

Don't buy into his act. He's voted for EVERY ONE of Trump's cabinet and everything else he's been asked to vote for.

• Locked thread