Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

make that money honey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

goongrats. much like having sex, doing it the first time is the hardest and it's all easy from there on out

at least that's what i've been told. I wouldn't know of course as i'm saving all my essence to enact global communism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aww c'mon this was funny

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

he MUST gently caress

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Mages are the teamsters of the D&D universe

sorry bub I used my 2 spell slots today, ask me again tomorrow and I'll see about requisitioning some ice spells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27kDtIoL1L4

making a mage that talks like this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

sometimes I love my job

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ytlaya posted:

I found the nuclear reactor reveal hilarious, because it seemingly exists entirely to rebuke the idea that a lifetime of smoking gave him cancer. They didn't even need to explain it, so it's like they only wanted to specifically make sure people didn't get the wrong idea and attribute it to smoking.

To be fair given literally everyone smokes it'd be weird for just one guy to get it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Was just talking to my girlfriend and she told me that as a child she didn't realize Kirby Super Star was a bunch of mini games and thought it was supposed to be a game collection like Mario All Star

To be fair it's pretty much set up like that, and Spring Breeze is iirc a flat out remake of Kirby's Adventure.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my favorite was the mk test your might challenge and victory being measured by how big a fissure you could karate chop into the star planet

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The coolest Kirby game was def the Meta Knight one. Wreaking carnage throughout a giant battleship and the whole crew is freaking out and giving commentary like a Star Fox game. Meta Knight's also really badass

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Buck Wildman posted:

sometimes I love my job

yeah, you're still bad at it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the axe in Hades 2 is extremely fun to use

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah, you're still bad at it

jealous?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Found this "accident" in KCD.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Bumper Stickup posted:

hear no evil

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bumper Stickup posted:

this style of painting was more accurate than people give it credit for

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just a couple of guys having a blast gently stabbing each other with their swords

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
what did EA do to FIFA? their not-FIFA 24 is 80% off on steam and filled with mixed reviews, poo poo's in shambles

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 10:14 on May 12, 2024

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Honest Thief posted:

what did EA do to FIFA? their not-FIFA 24 is 80% on steam and filled with mixed reviews, poo poo's in shambles

EA can't make games anymore.

their last moderately OK received game was what, jedi survivor? im also not sure how ubisoft is doing, I barely heard anyone even mention the new asscreed gam and haven't heard anything from their recent games. i guess their net revenue was down 5% last quarter

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:05 on May 12, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

EA can't make games anymore.

their last moderately OK received game was what, jedi survivor? im also not sure how ubisoft is doing, I barely heard anyone even mention the new asscreed gam and haven't heard anything from their recent games. i guess their net revenue was down 5% last quarter

i was gonna say the dead space remake, which is also on promo in steam but then you remember oh yeah EA shut down the studio because it didnt sell 10mil lol

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not a buy every year guy but I don't think I've ever played a FIFA game I would consider even remotely bad.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Honest Thief posted:

what did EA do to FIFA? their not-FIFA 24 is 80% off on steam and filled with mixed reviews, poo poo's in shambles
I played it having last played 20 or maybe a later one. The gameplay is still as smooth and fun as ever. It's close to exactly the same but that's not really slowed sales for sports games has it. I only played against AI and one problem (which I found I wasn't alone on) is professional mode is too easy and the next difficulty, world class, is way too hard. There's no sweet spot.

I don't touch ultimate team which I think is the most popular part of it so maybe it sucks this year.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Cloister trials in FFX have me wondering about good games with the worst deviations from normal gameplay to some unique thing that sucks rear end.

A lot of games have that with stealth segments. Zelda springs to mind, though it's far from the worst offender and sometimes does it well.

These cloister trials are abysmal. Utterly bland but not easy puzzles that are so slow in their mechanics. It's especially jarring when this was the first Playstation FF that had such smooth and quick battles. Crazy this crap was waved through.

You can't say Blitzball because it's optional and also I think it's kinda neat to do a game or two while going through the main story.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

snoremac posted:

A lot of games have that with stealth segments. Zelda springs to mind, though it's far from the worst offender and sometimes does it well.

homeworld 3 has it too
-there's one mission where there are enemy sensor arrays that can detect your mothership
-so you need to destroy them close in with your combat vessels without letting your mothership in range of the sensors
-which makes no loving sense from a plot PoV because the big bad already knew your combat vessels must have accompanied your mothership in the immediate locale to begin with

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hmm maybe I spoke too soon, the fourth cloister trial was actually decent. Exception to the rule so far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my_custom_username posted:

The coolest Kirby game was def the Meta Knight one. Wreaking carnage throughout a giant battleship and the whole crew is freaking out and giving commentary like a Star Fox game. Meta Knight's also really badass

anyone who doesn't honourably swordfight meta knight in every game he is present as a boss fight is a weak-rear end excuse of a gamer

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

snoremac posted:

Cloister trials in FFX have me wondering about good games with the worst deviations from normal gameplay to some unique thing that sucks rear end.

These cloister trials are abysmal. Utterly bland but not easy puzzles that are so slow in their mechanics. It's especially jarring when this was the first Playstation FF that had such smooth and quick battles. Crazy this crap was waved through.

You can't say Blitzball because it's optional and also I think it's kinda neat to do a game or two while going through the main story.
Cait Sith in Rebirth is a recent one

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

braindances in cyberpunk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

So the next session is going to have to be about doing another run into Red Rocket to pick up more mats, set-up junk scavenging in the Co-Op, and then checking on the Drive-In to see if that one now has settlers by the time I'm done.

it took the better part of two hours to get this done.

when I tried to build an industrial plot in Sunshine Tidings Co-op, the game helpfully informed me that the settlement didn't have enough scrap to construct it, which was true enough. Sim Settlements lets you donate scrap from your own inventory into the settlement's storage, but you need a city planner's desk to gain access to the interface that lets you do that

so I decided that I needed to build a city planner's desk in the Co-op, except it needs rarer materials like Aluminum and Screws and Gears and Circuitry. I had to look it up that Trashcan Carla, once encountered, follows a regular path between Sanctuary and Drumlin's Diner, and then find her along that route, and shuttle back and forth between Red Rocket and her to sell off enough of all the raider armor and pipe pistols and all sorts of various junk, to be able to buy the microscopes and telephones and alarm clocks and cameras and hot plates I needed. This included drinking some mentats and putting on all the +Charisma gear right before talking to Carla to get the best possible prices

while I was at it, I did also activate the quest at Drumlin's Diner to stop a drug dealer from shaking down the good people living in the Diner - I disposed of that extortionary thug right quick.

having gathered up the materials for a desk, I went back to Red Rocket and built a packed-up city planner's desk, I could bring with me and deploy/unpack in the Co-op when I finally got there

on my last trip back, I was waylaid by raiders - I fought them off, but in the confusion, I had accidentally "dropped" the packed-up desk from my inventory, which caused the desk to appear in the middle of nowhere. This was a potential disaster, because it would have represented a huge loss in time and effort if it had all gone to waste. I was sure that there had to have been a way to recover it, and after tinkering around, I found that when using the computer terminal (the "City Manager Software"), there was an option to make the desk pack itself up back into an item in my inventory.

quote:

technically, this does mean that you really only need one desk, ever, provided you're willing to pack it up with you whenever you're moving from one settlement to another, but I wanted to commit to the bit, so to speak

having done that, I completed my journey to Sunshine Tidings, unpacked the desk, used the desk to deposit scrap and caps for the settlement's use, and then watched as the industrial plot was finally completed. That should make the Co-op self-sufficient for now (at least at the difficulty I'm playing at)

I already have a couple of ideas about where to go next:

- I discovered a place called Walden Pond between Drumlin Diner and the Co-op. I skirted around it as I was fatigued when I came across it, but I may want to explore it now

- I should definitely come back to the Starlight Drive-Inn; according to the Pip-boy's map, it's not [CLEARED] yet, which may be why I haven't had any settlers come in. Once I clear it out, I should be able to drop another city planner's desk there and get it jumpstarted

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

braindances in cyberpunk

This, I have no idea why they thought a lovely version of an I Spy book was a good idea.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Been loving Tunic so far! Almost got frustrated trying to find the way to the well, but some exploration and careful examination of the map page got me to figure it out.

I love the whole "reconstructing the manual" conceit, its great and the art is awesome. I just found my way into a giant floating library.

P.S. US goons remember to call your mom today.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

goth smoking cloves posted:

This, I have no idea why they thought a lovely version of an I Spy book was a good idea.

I liked it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i wish there were more braindances, make some more challenging even

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

snoremac posted:

Played through the Hare Brained Schemes Shadowrun RPGs recently and thought the Matrix sequences were kind of tedious. I like the idea of them, that your other party members have to defend your decker while they do cyberspace battles, but they never fleshed out the combat in cyberspace enough to make it interesting. SR Hong Kong made it worse by adding in weird sequence-finding puzzles and awkward real-time movement.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

I liked it

Was fine, but also one of many systems that didn't work for repeated playthroughs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1789354759884837177

quote:

quote:

Me, fighting God: “I better not use any of my consumables yet there might be a bigger guy after this”

this is poor resource design. consumables should be signaled to the player how rare they are and how often they should expect to use them and how they can be replenished.

if you have 3 potions per fight with options to upgrade to 4 or more then the player is going to use all 3 potions..

or the max potions is 5 and you brew one after every fight

I thought this was a good point - if the player sees that consumables drop with some regularity or can be crafted, they won't be as likely to hoard it

or if there's a cap on how many consumables you can bank, and the player can still see that they can pick up more as they spend it, then they'll be likely to spend the consumables to keep themselves under the cap

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I am having a good time with Animal Well so far. Just picked up the yoyo and am enjoying the puzzles.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

gargling an elixer and spitting it out at the boss's feet, to assert dominance

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Buck Wildman posted:

gargling an elixer and spitting it out at the boss's feet, to assert dominance

same as when an invader downs all their estus before owning you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:
https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1789354759884837177

I thought this was a good point - if the player sees that consumables drop with some regularity or can be crafted, they won't be as likely to hoard it

or if there's a cap on how many consumables you can bank, and the player can still see that they can pick up more as they spend it, then they'll be likely to spend the consumables to keep themselves under the cap

a good solution is to have your consumables refill when you rest at a bonfire