Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the solution is to not hoard items neurotically and just use them as convenient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
but what if I need them later?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

you'll have more later

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

crepeface posted:

a good solution is to have your consumables refill when you rest at a bonfire

the witcher way of handling potions is one of the best mechanics in rpgs and its baffling that i havent seen anyone copy that system

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

screeching in rage as I chug a high-ether then kill the boss on the next normal attack. I won the battle but lost the war

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think the only time I use scrolls and potions is in games where you really need to manage resources. Pillars of Eternity 1 made me spent lots of scrolls on Hard and Path of the Damned, but I don't think I bothered using a single one in the sequel because everything is per-encounter anyway and you have practically infinite amounts of the resources needed to rest

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I usually brute force my way through rather than use the item. Not because of hoarding, I just don't like having to select items. I'm a button awesome player. I have never once beaten a game with style and efficiency. You headbutt a wall enough it always comes down.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i need these potions for my family

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

nodding in satisfaction as I check off the last of the 800 potions in my bunker. we'll who's laughing when meteor drops, you loving primates

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Buck Wildman posted:

the solution is to not hoard items neurotically and just use them as convenient

Remembering when my friend used Shadow and threw Atma at Atma weapon, losing Atma forever

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Remembering when my friend used Shadow and threw Atma at Atma weapon, losing Atma forever

king poo poo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I hope you screamed and he just had a giant poo poo eating grin on his face

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

it's his weapon, it's supposed to be there

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Buck Wildman posted:

I hope you screamed and he just had a giant poo poo eating grin on his face

that is exactly what happened, though he also later did not wait for Shadow on the floating continent so RIP his story in the world of ruin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

i wish there were more braindances, make some more challenging even

How would you even do that? You just look for the lit up parts of each bar, go to them in the time line, and look for the glowy bits.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:00 on May 12, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How would you even do that? You just look for the lit up parts of each bar, go to them in the time line, and look for the glory bits.

I dunno, make it so u can reconstruct events that didn't happen, add some more adventure game mechanics to it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm using items in Like A Dragon so often. It helps that health potions are Tuna Salad Sandwiches so my brain thinks "oh you should use that before it expires"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm using items in Like A Dragon so often. It helps that health potions are Tuna Salad Sandwiches so my brain thinks "oh you should use that before it expires"

I like that aspect, they were like "what's the American equivalent of <Japanese street food that healed 160 HP in Yakuza 7>?" "Probably a tuna sandwich." And it really fits

They also have the "toughness +" potions and poo poo from old Yakuza games too ofc, those are an international brand

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Fondly remembering the feeling of being owned by FF7 Remake when it went "a stack of elixirs, huh. Won't be needing any of these in hard Mode my friend"

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I liked lies of p's refill mechanic when you ran out of healing, really made the decision easier to just use the last healing when appropriate

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Animal Well is very cool, don't remember if it was in this thread somebody said it was very much an indie game from the 2010s is right but so far I really love the atmosphere and the the puzzles so far have been pretty cool

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TontoCorazon posted:

Animal Well is very cool, don't remember if it was in this thread somebody said it was very much an indie game from the 2010s is right but so far I really love the atmosphere and the the puzzles so far have been pretty cool
that was al! i'm not the biggest platformer fan, even playing many of the 2010s indie bonanza games, but i guess it's been awhile since i played a 2010s-era platformer and I did like la mulana

i'll probably get it after I finish crabiro souls, ghosts of tsunishma, remnant 2, and maybe homeworld 3. not really high on my list at the moment

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the witcher way of handling potions is one of the best mechanics in rpgs and its baffling that i havent seen anyone copy that system

probably because it sucked compared to tw2. iirc in that game the idea was that you'd collect ingredients to craft specific potions as pre-fight preparations made for specific bosses since i think you could only drink them while medidating and it was much cooler in a monster hunter kind of way

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
here's the thing about items:

you will get better items in the future, they will never have more utility than when you first get them

therefore if you don't use them right away you're wasting their utility by not putting them to the highest and best use

please don't hoard your items

also in bg3 just use all your weapon skills right away after short resting because short rests are so common, you're probably going to just usually forget to use them otherwise

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
using healing potions is weakness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rf1l-4zP98

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Stefan Prodan posted:

you will get better items in the future, they will never have more utility than when you first get them

therefore if you don't use them right away you're wasting their utility by not putting them to the highest and best use

also in bg3 just use all your weapon skills right away after short resting because short rests are so common, you're probably going to just usually forget to use them otherwise
every morning in BG3 I wake up and open palm slam a potion of cloud giant strength into Lae'Zel

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Karach posted:

every morning in BG3 I wake up and open palm slam a potion of cloud giant strength into Lae'Zel

this is how to do it

I guess there are some pretty obvious endgame items

like if you don't have a mage, save your globe of invulnerability scroll for raphael

or don't!!! you can just buy more!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

also the early parts of the game are generally where you'll have the least options available anyways so why not go hog wild with consumables!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

also the early parts of the game are generally where you'll have the least options available anyways so why not go hog wild with consumables!

yeah on subsequent playthroughs I really tried to use all my potions and scrolls whenever they would be slightly convenient and I just could not, I had so many at the end

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
You're so overpowered by the end of BG3 even on Tactician, that you might as well use all that stuff early on, when it offers you a bigger boost in power. Plus the game just dumps so many scrolls and potions and magic items on you, there's no reason to hoard them. I didnt even have a mage in the party for most of the game, because the consumables offered so much utility.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/Kotaku/status/1788925411172180312
"Take a shower."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finally got the blob boss. How the gently caress did I miss that there were buttons in all the corners? Should really get my eyes checked. Crosscode still rules.
Feel like thatone goon who didn't figure out the jumping button in one of the metroids.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 23:03 on May 12, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

lol at the Crush 40 remix

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/jfarlow2nd/status/1789487103845536251

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Fallout: New Vegas Fan

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

TontoCorazon posted:

lol at the Crush 40 remix

apparently it is named rules of tekken

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

been playing labyrinth of refrain in between crosscode sessions. it's p anime but nice to be on my blobber poo poo again

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

nothing worth playing on the Nintendo switches SNES,nes, génesis, N64 releases. what a scam.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

BONGHITZ posted:

i need these potions for my family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Stefan Prodan posted:

more players would if the inventory UI wasn't absolute dog poo poo.