Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

"Don't be a dick"

Or have everyone put their phones in a basket at the end of their row as they file into the pews for the ceremony or whatever. I think confiscating at certain times is going to be far more effective than a nuanced list of what things cna and cannot be done on their phones, at certain intervals... especially if your wedding has a lot of guests, or a lot of guests under the age of 25 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

Let's agree that we (along with the OP) don't really know how much he drank because his numbers change slightly with each post. The "shots" were actually mixed drinks he was mixing himself, and based on his posts I'm guessing he's a novice drinker so he probably doesn't actually know how close to a "serving" each they were. He's also not sure exactly how many drinks he had (was it seven? eight? maybe nine or ten? who knows when you're getting drunk!). He's probably consuming them faster than he can process them, so idk why it would be so outlandish that he's getting drunk? It may not be "normal" from your perspective, but it's apparently how his body works. His description of lying in bed with the room spinning is a pretty spot on description of having had way too much to drink.

Anyways, the point that I was trying to make is that for whatever reason the OP is getting too drunk for his comfort level, and he's trying to find some silver bullet that will allow him to drink a shitload and not get hungover. This will never happen.

OP, if your goal is to meet people and drinking causes you pain, why not try meeting people... another way?!?! A lot of us in this thread were (or are) in college once. There are other, better ways of meeting people than going clubbing, trust me on this.

My numbers haven't changed. I had 4 drinks, gin and lemonade all. Each drink comprised of 2 shots of gin, filled to the brim the rest of the way with lemonade. I wasn't eyeballing, I was using a shot glass. I know how much a shot is. I originally didn't include the fact I was mixing them because I wanted to make it easier from a purely numbers standpoint. I had 8 shots, that's 8 units of alcohol (UK), over 6 hours. 4 drinks, 2 shots per drink, 6 hours.

I wasn't drunk. At most, I was tipsy. Yet ~2 hours after my last drink, I violently puked for most of the night, had fitful sleep, and generally felt like shite.

We'll put this to rest as just being my body not handling alcohol due to whatever reason. I've never been great with alcohol, it always affects me severely, but for a brief moment in my life, I could get away with drinking stuff like gin and vodka without too many nasty side effects the morning after. I guess I'm past that, despite only being 24. It works out for the best anyways, my hangovers wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the crippling anxiety it induces, that's the worst part of the hangovers and is what makes me kick up such a fuss over them. Queasy stomach and headache and throwing up I can sorta deal with, anxiety however isn't as fun.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Theory: The lemonade was past its date

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Sugary mixers will make you feel like poo poo the next day. I wonder how much sugar you ingested via lemonade.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Probs a poo poo tonne. 4 big glasses worth of the stuff. Any idea how far off we are from inventing a hangover-less alcohol? The thought of being able to drink with literally zero or incredibly reduced side effects is a dream come true. I love zoning out and watching Planet Earth whilst I'm tipsy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

Probs a poo poo tonne. 4 big glasses worth of the stuff. Any idea how far off we are from inventing a hangover-less alcohol? The thought of being able to drink with literally zero or incredibly reduced side effects is a dream come true. I love zoning out and watching Planet Earth whilst I'm tipsy.

We already have it, it's called marijuana and it's pretty much amazing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Q8ee posted:

I'd wager it's the sugar instead of the alcohol. Try something like a gin and tonic?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'd wager it's the sugar instead of the alcohol. Try something like a gin and tonic?
The average tonic has as much/more sugar as the average lemonade.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Diet tonic is fine

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

We already have it, it's called marijuana and it's pretty much objectively and verifiably amazing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

This whole discussion could have been "don't know, smoke weed."

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Q8ee posted:

I've never been great with alcohol, it always affects me severely, but for a brief moment in my life, I could get away with drinking stuff like gin and vodka without too many nasty side effects the morning after. I guess I'm past that, despite only being 24.

Case closed I guess? Glad we all had this lengthy discussion. Back pats all around!

bongwizzard posted:

Quoth the mighty bongwizzard, king of the kush. Pray thee listen to his wisdome.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

gives me mad paranoia and makes me feel like a schizo

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Q8ee posted:

gives me mad paranoia and makes me feel like a schizo

Hmm you didn't smoke enough, triple dosage and call me in the morning.

If you still have hands, that is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

black.lion posted:

Hmm you didn't smoke enough, triple dosage and call me in the morning.

If you still have hands, that is.

the one highlight i can always look back on is the time i used a gravity bong when i was 18 with zero tolerance. walkin to the kitchen after i cleared a 2l homemade bottle, thinking i got sold a bag of oregano and was fuming to myself, next thing i know im being hit by a freight train. 180'd straight back to my bedroom, lay down on my bed, and proceeded to trip balls super hard for 2 hours. first 2 hours were rough, but the comedown was awesome. it reached a point where the full on panic attack subsided, and instead i felt my body turn into a motorbike and i could focus on parts of my body to make the atoms tingle. i've never felt so mentally retarded, i was straight up moaning like i had some sort of disorder.

some crazy poo poo i've never experienced since :smug:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

twodot posted:

The average tonic has as much/more sugar as the average lemonade.

Not in the UK.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Jeza posted:

Not in the UK.
I don't know, maybe you've got better information than me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schweppes-...3W0FTTRXNPZ391Y
Schweppes Lemonade: Per: 100 ml: Energy: 78 kJ/, : 18 kcal, Fat: 0 g, of which saturates: 0 g, Carbohydrate: 4.2 g, of which sugars: 4.2 g,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schweppes-Tonic-12-x-150ml/dp/B017T4GES6/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1504735555&sr=1-2&keywords=tonic+water
Schweppes Tonic: Per: 100 ml: Energy: 93 kJ/, : 22 kcal, Fat: 0 g, of which saturates: 0 g, Carbohydrate: 5.1 g, of which sugars: 5.1 g

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Disharmony posted:

We are planning a semi-unplugged wedding in that we don't want guests to turn off their phones and taking pictures are permitted BUT only selfies and to not do it during the important parts of the ceremony (i.e. entrance, kiss). What's the best way to phrase this?

I just went to a wedding over the weekend and before the processional the officiant came out and said "We are going to get started in a moment but the bride and groom have requested that everyone silence their cell phones and put them away until after the ceremony has concluded. Please be respectful of their wishes." Simple. To the point. Polite. Not Bridezilla levels of controlling. If you absolutely cannot go 30 minutes without your phone in your hand and your eyes glued to the screen - take it outside. I mean, it's the same rules every movie asks you to follow before the show starts.

Though the "feel free to take selfies" thing just seems like it's inviting trouble. Maybe I'm just an old, but if I don't want people to take pictures of "thing" using their phones facing one direction, I don't know why turning the camera the other way makes it ok. Either you want to let people take pictures or you don't.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

While you're issuing directions, perhaps ask people to let your photographer take their posed shots first, and for guests to look at the photographer first. If your spouse's weird aunt wants to take groups shots too, they will have a moment after the person you're paying to get good photos has what they need.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

twodot posted:

I don't know, maybe you've got better information than me:

The majority of supermarket own-brand, non-diet Tonic Waters have lower sugar content than their Lemonades. Some brands don't, but it's generally the case. My point was mainly that the UK has less sweet tonic than the rest of the EU and the USA, which is true. Plus the fact that Diet/Slimline tonic is more popular overall, and in better than coin-flip odds what somebody is drinking in their G&T here.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lately I've been noticing that water tastes weird. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can think of is as sour, acidic or tangy. It's most noticeable on the underside of my tongue right at the point the water hits as I drink, but it effects my whole tongue. I can't taste it when I smack my lips and hit the roof of my mouth with my tongue like you do when you want to taste something, but I taste/feel it if I fill my mouth completely with water and move my tongue around through the water. The reason I've been saying water generally instead of "the water" from some specific source, is that it seems to be all water, no matter what source it's from or container it's in. I'm going to try water at different temperatures, and some alkaline water, in case those are related, but water shouldn't be sour just because it's room temperature anyway. Has this happened to anyone else?

I bought some alkaline water and it doesn't do this at all. Maybe my water really is acidic. I got it from a public supply (filtered). How much baking soda should I put in to increase its pH a little to see if that has an effect?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Is there an active SimCity thread?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I put about 1/40 of a teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of my normal water and it completely negated the tang. Maybe it is too acidic.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Jeza posted:

The majority of supermarket own-brand, non-diet Tonic Waters have lower sugar content than their Lemonades.
Where'd you get your data on this?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Van Dis posted:

Is there an active SimCity thread?

Everybody's playing Cities: Skylines now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Yes but I am looking for a SimCity thread because that is the game I already own and that my non-gaming computer can run. I take it there isn't one.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I think everyone who posts here and played SimCity will probably be in that thread. Games is a nice place, there's no harm in asking your question there since there's no thread for it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Long shot: does anyone know about the mechanics of an espresso machine?

This is the boiler from my bean to cup machine and I think it is blocked. I need someone to confirm that it is supposed to be free-flowing when disconnected- i.e. if I blow into the inlet, my air will come out of outlet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“spog”" post="“476150728”"]
Long shot: does anyone know about the mechanics of an espresso machine?

This is the boiler from my bean to cup machine and I think it is blocked. I need someone to confirm that it is supposed to be free-flowing when disconnected- i.e. if I blow into the inlet, my air will come out of outlet.
[/quote]

There are some guys that repair espresso machines for a living in the coffee thread in gws.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There are some guys that repair espresso machines for a living in the coffee thread in gws.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

Thanks, much appreciated.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm adding a 2TB internal hard drive to my computer tomorrow. It's the third hard drive in the computer. After I plug it in, how do I want to format it? NTFS? FAT? (NTFS is the format of my 500 GB internal storage drive right now)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

I'm adding a 2TB internal hard drive to my computer tomorrow. It's the third hard drive in the computer. After I plug it in, how do I want to format it? NTFS? FAT? (NTFS is the format of my 500 GB internal storage drive right now)

NTFS if it's going to stay internal.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the advantages / disadvantages of various formatting styles? I've always just randomly formatted to whatever, depending on how I feel.

For example: why NTFS if it's internal?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Q8ee posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the advantages / disadvantages of various formatting styles? I've always just randomly formatted to whatever, depending on how I feel.

For example: why NTFS if it's internal?

You only use FAT/FAT32/exFAT for media you expect to frequently move around to other computers with other operating systems.

You use NTFS as the main format on a Windows computer like he has, HFS+ on a Mac, various other systems on Linux like ext4 or zfs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ah, so FAT formatting provides cross-compatibility between multiple OS types?

Whereas NTFS is mainly for Windows?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Q8ee posted:

Ah, so FAT formatting provides cross-compatibility between multiple OS types?

Whereas NTFS is mainly for Windows?

Yes. In the old days Windows would use FAT itself for the system drives, but NTFS has been the way to go for quite some time, being practically mandatory for the main system drive now.

Linux and Mac systems support the various FAT systems to allow for easier interoperability with Windows devices, and also because many things like cameras and the like use the FAT systems on their removable storage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why don't people still use FAT as the go-to? Seems like it'd be easier formatting to FAT from the get-go, in case you ever wanna transfer files to another OS, instead of walling yourself in with NTFS.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Q8ee posted:

Why don't people still use FAT as the go-to? Seems like it'd be easier formatting to FAT from the get-go, in case you ever wanna transfer files to another OS, instead of walling yourself in with NTFS.

because of the way the file structure is, FAT can't handle super large files in windows (iirc it's like a 4 gig limit or something like that) and I believe there something about stability, too

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Q8ee posted:

NTFS was developed to improve upon FAT, so it is an improvement on FAT. Consider that none of Windows, Mac, or Linux actually uses FAT as their preferred filesystem anymore.

1. Even on FAT32, the maximum file size is 4GB.
2. There is no built-in support for long filenames.
3. There is no journaling on FAT, so it is easier to have data corruption on FAT in the event of a crash.
4. Security and access controls are not present on the filesystem.
5. NTFS has an indexed tree allowing for faster file lookups.

And a lot more - see here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Awesome replies, thanks!