Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Sleight actually draws you the card you want when you aren't keeping sketchy 1-landers.

At least we all agree that Opt is great.

Grixis' best hands are 1-2 land and a Visions... And in that spot it's better than either Opt or Slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Sickening posted:

The entire point of decks with tron lands is to beat fair decks so only combo/aggro wins tournaments.

Well in my case it appears to be the perfect deck to 4-0 FNM.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ThePeavstenator posted:

They have to keep the planeswalkers looking the same. The actual problem is that there are only 5 planeswalkers and they all have one-dimensional personalities and are really loving boring and they're going to be featured on cards and in lore forever.

Only five? Looks like someone's overlooking the continuing contributions of such excellent characters as Tibalt, Ral Zarek, and Ashiok

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One day Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver is going to be a good card in modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

It wasn't a good card in standard...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

It's so, so close. I really want to play it in one of the esper control lists.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

JerryLee posted:

Only five? Looks like someone's overlooking the continuing contributions of such excellent characters as Tibalt, Ral Zarek, and Ashiok

Ashiok was actually pretty cool because they wrote basically nothing about them other than the fact that they make people have nightmares.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Ashiok was actually pretty cool because they wrote basically nothing about them other than the fact that they make people have nightmares.

Honestly I bet the not male or female gender aspect got ten times the ink of the actual story.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ashiok could always be on Amonkhet seeing as he was last seen experimenting with a God baby on theros and now suddenly a plane owned by a dude whose flunkies always seem to be u/b has a bunch of Gods on it all of a sudden

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's so, so close. I really want to play it in one of the esper control lists.

IMO that's the best build we'll have for it; get lucky enough to hit a good creature with the first activation, keep Ashiok alive for a turn, and then animate said creature, which a control deck could probably pull off. That or put it in a deck with lots of Processors or other effects that can make use of the exiled cards.

As it stands now, it just seems like a mediocre Mill card that I can't even run in my own Mill decks. Believe me, people have suggested it to me more than once.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

When your world has literal magic in it, anything is possible and explaining things in too much detail kills your atmosphere of worlds that have yet to be explored. This is why the gatewatch is lame and poo poo like Ashiok is cool.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
However, I am curious about the kind of insanity that Urza would have pulled in a place like Kaladesh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

When your world has literal magic in it, anything is possible and explaining things in too much detail kills your atmosphere of worlds that have yet to be explored. This is why the gatewatch is lame and poo poo like Ashiok is cool.

Yeah, their storytelling plays all their cards out now and it's pretty weak.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
More outfits means they can make more stupid funko pops for the gatewatch.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Balon posted:

More outfits means they can make more stupid funko pops for the gatewatch.

The year is 2072. The Atlantic Ocean is no more. The continent of Funko has arisen, dense enough to sustain life.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Veyrall posted:

I really wanna say they do. I mean, Gideon's new digs look ridiculous, but they are definitely different from his old ones. Chandra also covered her midriff and thighs in Kaladesh, which looks way better.

Jace only has one outfit though, kinda like Steve Jobs.

Hey now, he wore a trenchcoat one time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Sorry but Chandra's chainmail-under-a-bra getup is still ridiculous.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Dehtraen posted:

Please don’t be disrespectful of the Iconic OutfitsTM. You might not care but others do

I think that post might actually be MaRo's single greatest contribution to Magic.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

I really don't understand how I've read so many flavour texts with quotes from the Gatewatch, yet I still can't name any individual traits they have other than "shoots fireballs" "makes zombies" etc.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jenx posted:

I think that post might actually be MaRo's single greatest contribution to Magic.

I thought name-dropping Roseanne was his greatest contribution?

Sailor Viy posted:

I really don't understand how I've read so many flavour texts with quotes from the Gatewatch, yet I still can't name any individual traits they have other than "shoots fireballs" "makes zombies" etc.

That is the flavor. There isn't much character development you can get out of a dozen sentences spread over cards.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if you were able to decipher the character's sexual orientation by lining their flavor texts up in set order.

Jace, asexual.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just want to check, if I drop Yahenni's Expertise and cast Always watching as a 3CMC card off of it, will my 3 toughness guys survive? Or do they die to the -3/-3 before the +1/+1 comes in?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just want to check, if I drop Yahenni's Expertise and cast Always watching as a 3CMC card off of it, will my 3 toughness guys survive? Or do they die to the -3/-3 before the +1/+1 comes in?

Yahenni's Expertise resolves, all creatures get -3/-3, Always Watching goes on the stack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Yahenni's Expertise resolves, all creatures get -3/-3, Always Watching goes on the stack.

In other words, they die.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

It was in RTR/THS when most of the last standard's Esper shell existed, with Ashiok serving perfectly fine as a wincon and value engine at 3 mana.

Not as big of a deal as Elspeth but the card was a worker.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I've seen it do work in cube and legacy, it quickly grows out of control and can't be easily answered and has a tendency to make goyfs to protect itself.

Ad Nauseam also was pretty poo poo in Standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

I've seen it do work in cube and legacy, it quickly grows out of control and can't be easily answered and has a tendency to make goyfs to protect itself.

Ad Nauseam also was pretty poo poo in Standard.

To be fair, there's a very large difference between combo card and generic good card. If a card makes it into Modern through being hyperefficient or extremely powerful(for example, Lightning Bolt or Bloodbraid Elf), then I think it's always seen standard play. Synergy or combo cards like Ad Nauseam, Melira, Death's Shadow, or Amulet of Vigor can get an advantage from being in a larger format. I don't think Ashiok falls into that second category.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm proud of my boy Tireless Tracker making it into Modern, but Bedlam Reveler really surprised me by not making the cut into something like burn as a 1 of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DangerDongs posted:

I'm proud of my boy Tireless Tracker making it into Modern, but Bedlam Reveler really surprised me by not making the cut into something like burn as a 1 of.

*gal

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

I've seen some as 1-ofs when I looked up lists on mtgtop8! It's not super popular though. I realized I was basically four Goblin Guides short of Modern Burn and put it together, minus the Guides because I'm hoping they'll be rares in MM17 and I don't have any tournaments to play until then. I've been goldfishing it and only get to ~12 damage before I'm in top-deck mode. Looking forward to playing with it and seeing how it actually closes the game.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I've seen some as 1-ofs when I looked up lists on mtgtop8! It's not super popular though. I realized I was basically four Goblin Guides short of Modern Burn and put it together, minus the Guides because I'm hoping they'll be rares in MM17 and I don't have any tournaments to play until then. I've been goldfishing it and only get to ~12 damage before I'm in top-deck mode. Looking forward to playing with it and seeing how it actually closes the game.

How many are you running?

I tried running a single copy in Grixis Delver, but it competes with delve far too often.

This control list that made it to the finals of that Team Open ran it though, along with 2 Kalitas and 2 New Lili main deck. He only used 1 Tasigur.
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111710

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

To be fair, there's a very large difference between combo card and generic good card. If a card makes it into Modern through being hyperefficient or extremely powerful(for example, Lightning Bolt or Bloodbraid Elf), then I think it's always seen standard play. Synergy or combo cards like Ad Nauseam, Melira, Death's Shadow, or Amulet of Vigor can get an advantage from being in a larger format. I don't think Ashiok falls into that second category.

Ashiok is legit good against pretty much every blue deck in legacy, especially when he's coming off a DRS turn 1.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

it's dece in the UR Delver deck in legacy running delvers, tay tays and stormchasers. that deck is good when the following conditions are met:

-price of progress is a card you're interested in casting
-the best combo deck is Sneak and Show

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

ThePeavstenator posted:

Do you think Ashiok could be an aetherborn? Maybe one from somewhere other than Kaladesh?

Entropic posted:

Sorry but Chandra's chainmail-under-a-bra getup is still ridiculous.
I have actually no idea how women lived before bras, so maybe it's a bra under the chainmail under the bra.

DangerDongs posted:

Jace, asexual.
C'mon now. "Jacesexual" is just too obvious.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Veyrall posted:

Do you think Ashiok could be an aetherborn? Maybe one from somewhere other than Kaladesh?

They have said that Ashiok is not aetherborn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have that video of the Jund Depths vs. Miracles(?) match where in game 3 Miracles drops a RiP and then a couple turns later Depths player draws his one SB Helm of Obedience and Helms the Miracles player out?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone have that video of the Jund Depths vs. Miracles(?) match where in game 3 Miracles drops a RiP and then a couple turns later Depths player draws his one SB Helm of Obedience and Helms the Miracles player out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8pmYFbtakM

e: rewatching footage from the SCG Open that he won is a real treat as well. He plays one of the greatest matches ever against Andrew Shrout on D&T, completely grinds a RUG Delver player into dust and then hits one of the most insane LftL, getting back a tabernacle the turn he was going to die to his opponent's board of two delvers and no lands

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 22, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I used to play Helm as a 1 of in Legacy Jund..... The salt was so delicious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8pmYFbtakM

e: rewatching footage from the SCG Open that he won is a real treat as well. He plays one of the greatest matches ever against Andrew Shrout on D&T, completely grinds a RUG Delver player into dust and then hits one of the most insane LftL, getting back a tabernacle the turn he was going to die to his opponent's board of two delvers and no lands

That is savage, thanks.

E: Which Open did he win?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I used to play Helm as a 1 of in Legacy Jund..... The salt was so delicious.

I never drew it in almost a year of having it in my sideboard of Jund and RUG Delver.

• Locked thread