Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

Half the fun of AO is looking good while killing things.

And the other half is making the aliens (as well as anyone around you) gouge their own eyes out when you run around as an atrox with an I-beam, hot pants, and NOTHING ELSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

There have been some developer screenshots of new character heads,showing how they've mapped the old textures onto a more normal head models. If they can continue along this path with AoC's character generator they'll have some of the best looking MMO characters out there. Albeit locked into an ancient game world, but still. Half the fun of AO is looking good while killing things.

The textures for those new heads were remade based on the existing ones, not recycled. I mean, they even showed off the old ones as a comparison and the difference is vast, in more than just texture resolution.

I wish the FC devs knew how to texture hair though. :sigh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I misspoke and I should've known someone would get me. I didn't mean the old low res textures were remapped and I should've made it clear that they recreated the old textures at a higher res prior to the mapping. The only changes they've made are for the purpose of the mapping because they otherwise look exactly the same, in a good way. It is an honest attempt at a literal translation from old to new.

People who might've played a character since 2001 would probably not be upset to see how nicely they are bringing those old heads into the new engine. When you consider how odd some of them are it's quite a feat to translate them to a more capable model.

Lots of example of old vs. new and how good a job they've done: http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarchy/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2538&table=CONTENT

EDIT: Those Shadowland era heads still look like poo poo, though. The original heads are all sorts of awesome but from SL onward it's been a comedy of poorly done head textures. Those walleyes... ugh.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 2, 2009

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
I kinda dislike how round the new opi head models are, but I guess they're still WIP and the dev team did get a lot of feedback about lacking the distinctive skinny-faced elvish look of the current opifexes. And I would've preferred a fully revamped AOC style character creation system over just redoing the uncustomizeable old heads, while the new ones look really cool it feels like such a waste of effort to me when they could spend the time on implementing a system that's on par with modern MMO standards.

And the noses look freakishly small on some of the faces :wtc:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

So you're one of those strange people that picked Opifex but don't want to be cute? :colbert:

If they integrate the AoC character builder I can continue to churn out ugly, squat characters as is my wont.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

So long as the Solitus male with the big-rear end afro lives on so that I can continue to live out my fantasy of being the main character in a blaxploitation film I don't care what they do.

And the only reason to have a male Opifex is for some of the goofy face models they've got. Like the one with the radioactive purple hair, bug eyes and Down's grin. :colbert:

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

So you're one of those strange people that picked Opifex but don't want to be cute? :colbert:

If they integrate the AoC character builder I can continue to churn out ugly, squat characters as is my wont.

I rather like how a lot of the old heads look freakish and off but still kinda attractive, opifex and nano females particularly. I want some goddamn spikes protruding out of my character's head :colbert:

I think my fav head out of the whole game is the male nano one with a black dome and straps covering most of the face. Freaky cool.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I'm partial to the male Nano with the sombrero looking hat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I'm partial to the male Nano with the sombrero looking hat.

I call that one "the gaucho." Use /flamenco with him as often as possible.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I just subscribed with all expansions on a three month recurring. That ought to be more than enough to decide if I like the expansion content or not. :shobon:

edit: I want to fight aliens, how may I do so?

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 3, 2009

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Someone needs to juice up our city controller a bit. That thing's just a little bit below 50%-- it has to be, I've disabled the cloak 3 times in the past 36 hours and gotten zero alien attacks. :colbert:

Also, we need a new OP so that we can get a goonrush going.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Ehhhh.

Snooty fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 17, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Someone needs to juice up our city controller a bit. That thing's just a little bit below 50%-- it has to be, I've disabled the cloak 3 times in the past 36 hours and gotten zero alien attacks. :colbert:

Also, we need a new OP so that we can get a goonrush going.

There's a guy in omni entertainment who will give you missions for 25% CRUs, repeatable every 24 hours. Otherwise you can get them from team mission bosses. If you plan on doing a raid, you're generally responsible for filling the controller yourself, since you're the one who's going to get all the loot and xp at the end.

KreepiKid
Aug 10, 2007
God I hate forked pee, splashes on my pants.
Are there any RK1 Clan goons in here?

I've been playing since '05 and been getting kind of bored lately, would be nice to make new friends.

My more active characters are:
Itsukia 220 Doc
Lolimdead 172 MA Twink

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Clan goon here o/ my Fixer will be 220 today if my plan works out.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some random guy gave me a QL 66 nano charged assault rifle he found in the sewers of Foreman's. :woop:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Watchlar posted:

If anyone else doesn't volunteer for it, I can just whip up a new one, since I wrote the one for this thread too.

Do it :)

Also, I got tipped 1.4 mil today because I taught someone how to use global market search. I really like how people will sometimes randomly give you stuff just because you were helpful or because they like you.

Any newbie goon fixers who need some guns, send Troikafixer a tell; I have some stuff that was passed to me, and I'm going to in turn pass it on down the line. I'll be moving to exclusively shadowlands guns as soon as I get enough burst and so forth to fit on a Mortiig Beamer with a wrangle + riot control.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
(Broken link)
About loving time!

Snooty fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 17, 2018

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Congrats! Maybe now I'll find the motivation to hit 30.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Watchlar posted:

About loving time!

Good job!

Getting to 220 takes loving forever, and I have no idea how people have multiple 220s. It's been a huge stretch to even get 2 characters over TL6, since everything just dries out around level 175 and it's impossible to get non-org teams until 210 or so. I think the power creep has really hurt the mid-range levels, since everyone now wants to do ado hecks at 130 and inf missions as soon as they're 160, while a few years ago it was ely hecks until 150, ado until 180ish, and then pen missions until 205-210, and you'd only occasionally luck out and get in on a team doing something way above your level.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Got a Mortiig Beamer on, and it is a thing of beauty. Incredible burst damage and nice normal hits too. Also, great rate of fire.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Perennium beamers are fantastic too - I think they're pretty similar to the mortiig beamers, though, but when you can upgrade to a higher QL beamer it's well worth it.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

Good job!

Getting to 220 takes loving forever, and I have no idea how people have multiple 220s. It's been a huge stretch to even get 2 characters over TL6, since everything just dries out around level 175 and it's impossible to get non-org teams until 210 or so. I think the power creep has really hurt the mid-range levels, since everyone now wants to do ado hecks at 130 and inf missions as soon as they're 160, while a few years ago it was ely hecks until 150, ado until 180ish, and then pen missions until 205-210, and you'd only occasionally luck out and get in on a team doing something way above your level.

I guess I just got lucky then, I'm in a tiny tiny org (tiny as in 5 people online at once, at most.. on a busy night) and never particularly had problems getting inf teams after level 190. But I always took the time to update my gear too, and I sure as gently caress had nothing but time, 18 months 1-220 jesus christ :gonk:

It seems most of the people with a gazillion 220s are in huge orgs like, I don't know, Redemption or Vengeance? Or twink-oriented/endgame orgs like MDR or Spartans. So they've likely got several people to pocket and kite them 1-160, then just grab Inf boots from org bank, have someone pop Ice Golem and have orgmates drag them along to 220 missions for the rest of the levels. I know some people level to 220 within a few months this way. Don't see the point in it though, I always viewed the leveling progress as more of a journey than something you just HAVE to get over with as fast as possible.

I don't know why the gently caress level 160-180s even bother trying to get into TL7 inferno teams, no matter how geared up they are there is no way they'll match the damage output or survivability of even an average TL7.

Snooty fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 9, 2009

Maxxx
Apr 12, 2006
WHAT

Technogeek posted:

And the other half is making the aliens (as well as anyone around you) gouge their own eyes out when you run around as an atrox with an I-beam, hot pants, and NOTHING ELSE.

I will resubscribe to AO when the day does come! Atrox Fixer + Speed + hot pants = fun time for all

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
MA baby! Though ive forgotten how to play it or gear it w/e the gently caress im supposed to do. Downloading now.

98 MA if anyone got some hints, tips or areas to lvl (froob)

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Atroxes in hotpants are nothing.

Now, Atroxes running around butt naked in Shade tattoos.. :cry:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are Kyr'Ozch Submachine Guns worth using for my fixer? Even QL200 ones are really super cheap on GMS, and the Type 12 especially looks nice (burst + full auto? Yes please!)

Even the biomaterial isn't all THAT expensive, apparently, at least according to gms.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 10, 2009

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Are Kyr'Ozch Submachine Guns worth using for my fixer? Even QL200 ones are really super cheap on GMS, and the Type 12 especially looks nice (burst + full auto? Yes please!)

Even the biomaterial isn't all THAT expensive, apparently, at least according to gms.

They are if you can't find anything better, but a perennium beamer will be better.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A perennium beamer is also 4-5 times as expensive :colbert:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm about to roll a Opifex Fixer. Never played this game, but looking at the forums and guides, the game is probably far too complex to hold my attention. We'll see.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Black Eagle posted:

I'm about to roll a Opifex Fixer. Never played this game, but looking at the forums and guides, the game is probably far too complex to hold my attention. We'll see.

Just take it easy and take your time learning the ropes. Join roflbot and ask for some help, you're bound to get someone to give you a hand starting out :) This game is so complex it can be pretty overwhelming at first, and probably is too, but you don't need to know everything immediately, anyway.

Also Troika, KMPs will start ODing ql200 beamers when you're around level 180-190. At that time I switched to dual ql 200+199 KMPs and it was pretty great. If you end up being REALLY rich around lvl 150, you should invest in a Syndicate Messenger Gun (costing around 120mil), which far ODs peres at that level because of its hefty crit. Though you'll also need to invest in crit % increasing items like a good ql crit scope to get the most out of it.

Snooty fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 11, 2009

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Watchlar posted:

Just take it easy and take your time learning the ropes.
Based on everything I've read, I expected this to be an extremely complex game, but in my opinion, I think AO is much simpler than EQ2. Then again, I'm only CL9, and that took nine hours or so. This game has held my attention thus far. Just entered Borealis. Saw Jahpetto. Trying to figure out how to get into GoonCorp.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Black Eagle posted:

Based on everything I've read, I expected this to be an extremely complex game, but in my opinion, I think AO is much simpler than EQ2. Then again, I'm only CL9, and that took nine hours or so. This game has held my attention thus far. Just entered Borealis. Saw Jahpetto. Trying to figure out how to get into GoonCorp.

GoonCorp is an Omni corp so you won't be able to join, but you can chat all of us up in the Roflbot channel thing.

Would it be possible for somebody to throw some credits my way? I've blitzed and blown through probably 50k credits over the last couple of weeks when I had time to play trying to roll for ql 10 concrete cushions to sell and have 1 to show for the effort. I've hit the point where if I have to spend another day blitzing for credits to blow on rolling missions I'll go on a rampage.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Blep

Snooty fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 2, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Watchlar posted:

Just take it easy and take your time learning the ropes. Join roflbot and ask for some help, you're bound to get someone to give you a hand starting out :) This game is so complex it can be pretty overwhelming at first, and probably is too, but you don't need to know everything immediately, anyway.

Also Troika, KMPs will start ODing ql200 beamers when you're around level 180-190. At that time I switched to dual ql 200+199 KMPs and it was pretty great. If you end up being REALLY rich around lvl 150, you should invest in a Syndicate Messenger Gun (costing around 120mil), which far ODs peres at that level because of its hefty crit. Though you'll also need to invest in crit % increasing items like a good ql crit scope to get the most out of it.

I'm level 78 and have 2 mil in my wallet. Unless the grid armor fairy falls into my lap, I don't think I'm ever going to have 150 million.

It really floors me when I see people selling tons of crap for hundreds of millions of credits in the shopping channel. How do people even get that much money :psyduck:

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

-Troika- posted:

I'm level 78 and have 2 mil in my wallet. Unless the grid armor fairy falls into my lap, I don't think I'm ever going to have 150 million.

It really floors me when I see people selling tons of crap for hundreds of millions of credits in the shopping channel. How do people even get that much money :psyduck:

Camping a rare spawn is how I did it. I sold some dumb pistol from somewehre in the shadowlands for 250mil. I was lucky because I just walked in and the spawn was up. Took like 5 minutes.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyshalob posted:

GoonCorp is an Omni corp so you won't be able to join, but you can chat all of us up in the Roflbot channel thing.
Watchlar helped me out with joining Omni, so now I'm GoonCorp-eligible. Hooray!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
After trying out almost every character as a froob, i've pretty much decided on playing as a Soldier. I'll join gooncorp/roflbot hopefully tonight and up for some noob-rear end subway or group mission grinding with fellow goons (GMT+1 sucks though).

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
For credits, I've been slowly working my way up by farming Pocketbosses in SL, starting from Scheol PBs and moving on to Adonis and Penumbra when the mobs started turning grey for me. When you pop the bosses they drop Symbiants which can be worth 70-130 million credits at most, for the rarest ones. It's a fairly quick way to make money, though it requires a lot of time invested in camping the SL dynas, collecting the pattern parts, and then farming high enough QL Novictum and buying Unpolluted/Crystals filled with the source to novictalize them so they're ready for popping at Incarnators. It's a fairly long process but if you get lucky, it can make you rich.

And yes, another way is camping certain SL bosses for valuable, rare items. You generally only want to do this once the bosses turn grey to you, since they tend to pack a punch and have a bunch of friends nearby, so if you're not prepared you will die quickly. Good examples of valuable camp mobs would be the Predator bosses in Elysium (Predator Armour, heavily competed over), Eremites in Adonis Abyss (they drop Sealed Perennium Containers which can have one of 3 different items, being Blackpack (worth ~40mil), Doctor's Pill Pack (~25mil) and Syndicate Shades for Fixers (~10mil). I've killed these bosses probably close to 100 times total and have had two DPPs drop, Syndicate Shades once. Apparently Blackpack is extremely rare), Dryad dynas in north Adonis (Chef Cleaver, Advy pistols, both very valuable), Nippy Slither (cave deep in Adonis abyss, drops the Nippy John Stiletto weapon for Shades, worth 130-200mil, super rare, never had it drop when I tried), and a lot of others. Inferno bosses have some very valuable drops too but soloing them is much more challenging, most punch through my Fixer's evades like no big deal.

RK dynabosses do still have quite a few precious items on their drop tables. Most nanos they drop (with the exception of Kin of Tarasque) are dynaboss only and will usually sell for at least a million or two. You can also find Nova Dillon, Sekutek and Kirch Kevlar armour on them, which are very good for twinking. :)

SL droprates are utter poo poo though. I wish FC raised them to balance out some of the really obscene prices on the market, same with Viralbots, the inflation makes the game crazy hard for new people to get into. It takes just about everyone quite some blood, sweat and tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Two things I don't like about AO:

1. Having to know which items are worth a lot. That's mainly a problem because of how long this game has been in operation. If everyone were playing for the first time, the focus would be on discovering the world of AO, and not on which items can be sold for big money so I can twink my character.

2. Not knowing why I'm developing my character. But I guess that's the case with all MMOs. There's no real end game, no real consequences for your character, and nothing really matters. It's just phat lewt and levels. With single-player RPGs, such as Risen or Fable, you at least have an idea about the ultimate outcome.

Meh. Don't mind me. I'm sick.

• Locked thread