Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Ziir posted:

tipping
I usually tip 10% of the bill and depending on my mood/the amount of money I round up or down to the nearest Euro. Also, most places pool all tips and divide them equally by the number of employees (including their kitchen staff), so everyone benefits from good service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

bronin posted:

Edit: beaten to it... But I like how we used the same beer example :eng101:
Seems like that's sort of a normal price all over the place ;). Also, we used the same price of 17.30 EUR for a larger sum even though I find your tip excessive (or am I just a cheap bastard :ohdear:?)

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
17,30 is a bad example because if you say 18, you might as well not tip at all, 20 is too much and I would feel silly if I make it 18,50 or 19 and get 1 or 1,50 back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could always order more drinks until you arrive at a sum that gives you a more comfortable bill/tip ratio after rounding up. :eng101:

I'm always tempted to say something like "make it 18,73." Maybe one day if the service was bad.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

FLX posted:

I usually tip 10% of the bill and depending on my mood/the amount of money I round up or down to the nearest Euro. Also, most places pool all tips and divide them equally by the number of employees (including their kitchen staff), so everyone benefits from good service.

I do this, too.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

elwood posted:

17,30 is a bad example because if you say 18, you might as well not tip at all, 20 is too much and I would feel silly if I make it 18,50 or 19 and get 1 or 1,50 back.
That's exactly why it's a good example, imho. You will have totals like that and if and how you tip on this and the differences in what you give (underlining the fact that there's no hard 10% or whatever rule and illustrated by your thought process) are the interesting subtleties. FWIW, I'd do 18.50 and not feel silly. That's 1.20 EUR, which should be enough. And for those 1.50 EUR I get back I can get meself a beer at the next petrol station, yay.

Fake Edit: or do as MyLovelyHorse says.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just pocket your change and drop 1 or 2 euros as a tip whenever weird sums come up. Problem solved.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

schoenfelder posted:

Seems like that's sort of a normal price all over the place ;). Also, we used the same price of 17.30 EUR for a larger sum even though I find your tip excessive (or am I just a cheap bastard :ohdear:?)

Haha, yeah. When I think about it 20 EUR seems a bit much to me too.

Edit: I guess I'd say 19. Unless I was drunk of course... and/or the waitress was hot :D

bronin fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 10, 2010

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Ziir posted:

Why is everything in Germany so slow? Opened a bank account last week, still waiting for the bank card to be sent to me. Until I get it, I can't do anything and I'm running out of money (I have all of my other money in an online account in America, but I'm waiting for the German one to open to transfer it over). Bought insurance too, and I'm also waiting for the card in the mail. Bought a bus pass the other day, and they told me to come back the next day to pick things up.

Meh. I'm used to getting things when I pay for it. I want it now drat it.

(Not really ranting, it's probably the biggest difference in culture I've noticed)

Man, never go to Latin America. Or pretty much any other country... Germany is probably the fastest non-anglophone country.

Liface fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 10, 2010

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Now that it has been a month since I returned from travelling around Germany for three weeks I can tell you that I am actually missing one thing: A decent Currywurst.
Thank you again for the invitation to lunch, Elwood!

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Default Settings posted:

one thing: A decent Currywurst

Please spread the news! With all the misconceptions about Lederhosen and our troubled past, this is finally something we Germans can be proud of.

Seriously, unironically, Currywurst is just awesome.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Quick- What is the daily withdrawal limit for DeutscheBank ATMs? In the US almost all ATMs have $300 daily limits unless you're in Vegas or something.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I think it's 1000 €.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

More like 500 €.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
So in conclusion, if in doubt, call your bank.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Or go in right before midnight, withdraw maximum amount, wait til past midnight, withdraw maximum amount again. Haven't tried it myself but heard it works.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
You can got to like two different ATMs?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
DeutscheBank isn't my bank though. I have a Bank of America account from the US that lets me withdraw for free at DeutscheBank ATMs. I opened a Sparkasse account here the other week and have my bank card finally, so I just wanted to withdraw money from my BoA account through DeutscheBank so I can have some money in my Sparkasse account.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hungry Gerbil posted:

You can got to like two different ATMs?

No you can't. I think it's €500/day too.

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007
On my Deutsche Bank account it's 1.000€/day, but I think I upped it sometime in the past when I needed money on some vacation or so... just call them and ask.

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010
I am interested in the different clothing styles of university students (or that demographic in general) in Germany.

Do they tend to dress more casual or formal, for the most part?
Are there any "scenes" that are unique to Germany?
What attitudes and/or lifestyles are associated with German fashion styles?
Are there equivalents to fashion styles to ones in the US?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Little Treasure posted:

I am interested in the different clothing styles of university students (or that demographic in general) in Germany.

From what I gathered on my last trip to the States, it's exactly the same as in Germany :D

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Definitely casual. As a matter of fact dressing formal for everyday university business would be seen as downright eccentric. (Exceptions include subjects closely related to economy.)

Not sure about the rest, could you narrow it down? Maybe list some standard US scenes and fashion styles and we can give equivalents and point out similarities and differences? Depending on how deep you want to go into the subject there's really rather a lot of "scenes".

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 16, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Well here in the west it's pretty cold so everyone is wearing jeans and tshirts. It's pretty much the same as back home.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Little Treasure posted:

FLX posted:

From what I gathered on my last trip to the States, it's exactly the same as in Germany :D

I would say American university students dress a lot more casually than German university students. For example, at American universities you often get 10% of people in a lecture showing up in sweatpants, trainers, and a T-shirt, or the classic sorority girl with the JUICY sweatpants and Ugg boots. That just doesn't happen in Germany.

To answer your question more generally, there is definitely a German style. So much that I was able to accurately pick out German students in university towns in The Netherlands. For example, the following picture is just so quintessentially German:

Apart from Germans specifically, the general Western Europe style is just so fundamentally different. Lots more plimsoles, scarfs, tighter clothes, and normal people off the street are so much more fashionable than their counterparts in the United States.

I can't think of any scenes that are unique to Germany, except for the "Krocha" picture I posted above, but that's in Austria. You get all the standard western stuff: hippies, rockabillies, skaters, fraternity members, goths (Gruftis) etc.

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Definitely casual. As a matter of fact dressing formal for everyday university business would be seen as downright eccentric. (Exceptions include subjects closely related to economy.)

Not sure about the rest, could you narrow it down? Maybe list some standard US scenes and fashion styles and we can give equivalents and point out similarities and differences? Depending on how deep you want to go into the subject there's really rather a lot of "scenes".

When I said "more formal" I was sort of meaning: does that demographic put emphasis on looking good in public? I usually wear a button down shirt and a cardigan and nice pants or something, but every once and a while I'll go to lecture in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Liface posted:

Apart from Germans specifically, the general Western Europe style is just so fundamentally different. Lots more plimsoles, scarfs, tighter clothes, and normal people off the street are so much more fashionable than their counterparts in the United States.

I agree with how drat fashionable you Europeans are! It bothers me when I see the "just rolled out of bed" look on a daily basis here.

But for the most part, I see US students' clothing styles here as more of getting a definite message across; to assert their individuality, etc. Which is why I find that picture very interesting; no one is trying to make a huge statement with how they dress. That may or may not be true, but that's what I kinda get from the picture.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Liface posted:

This is in Freiburg, right? I think I know one of the girls in the picture, do you have it any larger? :) small world, really...

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

System Metternich posted:

This is in Freiburg, right? I think I know one of the girls in the picture, do you have it any larger? :) small world, really...

I just grabbed a random picture from my StudiVZ friends, but yeah, it appears to be the Erstihütte for Sprachwissenschaft at Uni Freiburg. Unfortunately that's the only size of the picture.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

So does anybody check tickets on the Berlin metro, or am I safe in riding all over the city without paying?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

freebooter posted:

So does anybody check tickets on the Berlin metro, or am I safe in riding all over the city without paying?

gently caress you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They do check but it's really quite rare that you'll actually walk into them. Hell you'll probably see more street paper vendors than people who check tickets.

I mean I'm not gonna tell you "hell yes buddy never pay again" but there's no denying facts and it's not like it's a closely guarded secret, either.

e: it's also €40 if they do catch you

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 17, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: it's also €40 if they do catch you
Plus a criminal procedure, at least for repeat offenders (don't know how Berlin handles this)

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Little Treasure posted:

go to lecture in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Please don't. :)

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Little Treasure posted:

I don't know if this would be too fashion-oriented rather than like a regular Joe sort of thing for what you're after, but there's a good blog here if you're interested in Berlin street style. http://stilinberlin.blogspot.com/

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

this is a good one too, its more typical berliners http://piecesofberlin.blogspot.com/

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

unixbeard posted:

this is a good one too, its more typical berliners http://piecesofberlin.blogspot.com/

quote:

nicky; 20; angehende studentin;
berlin schläft nie, das findet sie super + die vielen parks;
gar nicht mag sie die spürbare arroganz in den schicken bezirken.
"...diese hipsters...die gehen gar nicht!"
eine ihrer lieblingsecken ist die warschauerstraße

Are hipsters known in Germany? I tried to explain the subculture to one of my buddies and he didn't understand. He's from Mannheim.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yes. Munich is full of hipsters for example.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hungry Gerbil posted:

gently caress you.

Hey, I pay taxes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I think it's just the word "Hipster" that isn't widespread in Germany but we defenitely have the people here.

To the clothingissue: It really depends on what your major is. Mine is molecular biology and people usually turn up in sweatpants/clothes that were the least dirty. We also have a MBA building next to ours and they always wear SUCH fine clothes. We regularily mock them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Why do Germans think it's totally cool and normal to just stand in the way of everything? They stand in front of doors obstructing the way in/out, they stand on the middle of aisles, they stand in the middle of crowded stairs when they see someone and start playing catch up instead of moving to the side and making everyone trying to squeeze around.

Think of the other people :(.