Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lamuella posted:

Time for some political finger puppets:
<snip>

These are great! I was scrolling down trying to guess them, got most except for Orwell, Guevara (what the hell?) and Mandela who I immediately assumed was Bill Cosby :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

These are great! I was scrolling down trying to guess them, got most except for Orwell, Guevara (what the hell?) and Mandela who I immediately assumed was Bill Cosby :downs:

I've spoilered the names so people can play it as a game if they want

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAeO9KhquFk

baquack obamailure
Feb 20, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Baquack Obamailure

You rang?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fluoride Jones posted:

lol, great, reasonable minds such as George "Richard Pryor is a friend of the family" Carlin, Penn "Global Warming is a Sham" Gilette, Christopher "gently caress every Middle Eastern person" Hitchens, and Richard "Islam is Unmitigated Evil" Dawkins.

Welp

When did George Carlin call Richard Pryor a friend of the family? I'm not saying your wrong I've just listened to a lot of Carlin and I don't recall this at all. Was it in a bit or an interview?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Here's a picture to cover for Your Gay Uncle

and one for me

From the Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979, a month-long war with up to 50,000 deaths.

snowbee
Oct 1, 2003

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The second one hits the American flag.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

baw posted:

The second one hits the American flag.

Never forget :911:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
this is what happens when riot cops start making youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERqF1ZjvvZ4

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ReidRansom posted:

Ah, that probably explains this thing I found in the images folder on my old hard drive the other day. It had me scratching my head a bit.

Yep, that's the stuff.

Sexual themes have been pretty popular in psyops at various points, especially the World Wars. Yours is interesting, as I haven't seen many of the "your girl is cheating on you or being taken advantage of back home" that play on racism towards blacks; there were however plenty by the Germans on the message of "while you're here fighting the Jew's fight, he's taking your women back home."

One of the better online compilations of these I've seen is here: Psywarrior.com - Sex and Propaganda

What's particularly cool are "black" propaganda leaflets: that is, materials purporting to be from somebody else. Here's a pretty clever one dropped in the Philippines, purportedly for US troops but actually targeting locals:

The idea is that it pretends to be saying "Hey GIs, be careful because all these Filipino women are sluts, so watch what you tap" with the intended result that Filipino men become enraged at the Americans for plotting to nail their women and for describing their culture as easy and filthy.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

When did George Carlin call Richard Pryor a friend of the family? I'm not saying your wrong I've just listened to a lot of Carlin and I don't recall this at all. Was it in a bit or an interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxPQuIPV2A

Do yourself a favour and don't read the comment.

az
Dec 2, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Yep, that's the stuff.

How can people not even spellcheck four loving words.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
How can people not even read the loving OP

Tuckleberry fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 14, 2012

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I finally have something to share!

Oh... oh... :smith:

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

nerdz posted:

this is what happens when riot cops start making youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERqF1ZjvvZ4

It's already gone. Care to explain what it was?

In return, here are some beautiful, big photos I've been admiring lately, of students protesting tuition hikes in Quebec.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

:rolleye:

I have no loving clue where I found this one. It was just lying there on my hard drive, dormant, waiting to be discovered and wielded again.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

a false posted:

This was really depressing to watch in real time. For the uninitiated, this was Boston Bruins fans angry about Joel Ward, a black player for the Washington Capitals, scoring on them to win their playoff series. Unsurprisingly, when Joel Ward hosed up in the next series, indirectly costing his team the game, Capitals fans did pretty much the same thing.

That really bothers me as a Bruins fan. Part of the reason I love the Bruins so much is that Willy O'Ree, the first black NHL player played with the Bruins and the team stuck with him at a time when hockey was considered a white man's game.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Frosted Flake posted:

That really bothers me as a Bruins fan. Part of the reason I love the Bruins so much is that Willy O'Ree, the first black NHL player played with the Bruins and the team stuck with him at a time when hockey was considered a white man's game.

Yeah, a lot of people chalked it up to "well of course it was going to happen because it was Boston and Boston fans are assholes" but really it could have been expected from pretty much any fanbase because it's sports fans in general that are assholes.

It's kind of mindboggling that people still haven't fully wrapped their heads around the concept of a black player, there's a pretty good number now, there have been for a while, and some of them are really loving good.

Here's P.K. Subban, who owns, but is somewhat cocky and was criticized for a while about not having "respect for the game." Would that have happened if it was a white player doing the same poo poo? Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tNVwQUJoik

Here is an unfortunate slip of the tongue by a guy discussing that so called lack of "respect for the game."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Winner of Mr. Gay Norway in 2007.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The 4% Solution draws on the best minds in the business, including five Nobel laureates:

· Robert E. Lucas, Jr., on the history and future of economic growth
· Gary S. Becker on why we need immigrants in order to grow
· Edward Prescott on the cost (to growth) of the welfare state
· Vernon Smith on why housing leads us into and out of recessions
· Myron Scholes on why we need to innovate in order to grow the economy

oh boy

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Huge Liability posted:

Quebec protest stuff

I was in Montreal for a few days during some of those protests. Here are a bunch of shots I took myself:

I'm from one of the most right-wing areas in the entire U.S. (north Texas :smith:), so it was quite surreal seeing all that. That was also the largest crowd I had ever been in before. Even though I was a drat dirty foreigner who spoke no French and was only in the area for a few days, I wore the red square and marched with them anyway. It was pretty great actually.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

· Robert E. Lucas, Jr., on the history and future of economic growth

Reminder that Lucas was one of the Freshwater guys that Krugman quoted as (essentially) being "The unemployed are lazy shits that don't want to work".

quote:

· Gary S. Becker on why we need immigrants in order to grow

Reminder that Becker was totally cool with the neoliberal policies shoved down Latin America's throat.

quote:

· Vernon Smith on why housing leads us into and out of recessions

Reminder that Vernon Smith is an acolyte of Ludwig von Mises and a huge proponent of Austrian Economics.

quote:

· Myron Scholes on why we need to innovate in order to grow the economy

Reminder of how spectacularly awesome Myron Scholes was an innovator:

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 15, 2012

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I've always wondered how many economists are actually imbeciles versus how many are cynically avoiding biting the hand that feeds them.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

this is one of the better responses I've read to this point http://www.metafilter.com/114735/Ill-be-back-faster-than-you-can-say-furious#4286947

Only registered members can see post attachments!

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

Today I was listening to the documentary Letters From Iran when I was reminded of this photo. It's of my girlfriend's hand, taken near Vanak Square in Tehran during the 2009 election protests. A photographer friend took the photo and it's been used in countless news articles ever since. Her parents still do not know that her hand is world famous because they were so adamant about her staying away from any potential harm while at university. The middle finger is crooked because it broke when she was hit by a taxi the month before.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is that a black kid playing the monkey?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is that a black kid playing the monkey?

And a white guy playing an arabian protagonist.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My old images folder is full of relevant things, it seems.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eikre posted:

Aladdin and Jafar have pretty similar skin tones in the film.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Officeboy
Jun 27, 2006

-----------------------------------
Today's Episode on The Adventures of Pete and Pete:

"Revolution and Pete: Part I"

It has been 10 years since we've last seen the Wrigley brothers part ways. Artie, the Strongest Man In The World, is now homeless. Mr. and Mrs. Wrigley have their home foreclosed on them, as well as most of Wellsville.

People around the country and especially in Wellsville are laid off by the thousands. Stu Benedict is now unemployed thanks to Wellsville's education budget cuts, and is now a raging alcoholic. Even the Wrigleys are laid off and because Mr. Wrigley has lost his job, and therefore his health insurance, Mrs. Wrigley can no longer afford the money to maintain her metal plate. The Kreb Corporation has a new CEO, who takes control of Wellsville, and possibly, even the entire country.

What is causing this? Could it be aliens? The supernatural? A lucky penny that became cursed? The dissapearance of Petunia from Pete's shoulder? Whatever it is, it is tearing Wellsville apart, and it, or 'they', must be stopped. It's up to the brothers Pete to rally the 99% and demand justice and equality, or be prepared to fight for it. The revolution is imminent. It won't be easy. But they won't be alone.

Even the most unlikely allies will join them in their fight. Even 'Endless Mike' Hellstrom.

Guest stars: Larissa Oleynik, Chris Viscardi and Will McRobb, Janeane Garofalo, Syd Straw, Iggy Pop, Steve Buscemi,Jeff Magnum, the 99%, You.
------------------------------

I wish.

Officeboy fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 15, 2012

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Eikre posted:

The original story of Aladdin was set in Muslim China :hist101:

Have a Detroit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Spirit Tree posted:

The original story of Aladdin was set in Muslim China :hist101:

Have a Detroit

Not to worry, Snyder will have his bridge bankrolled by the Chinese soon and then this building will get knocked down so the fracking fluids will have a shiny new bridge to ride over from Ontario.

• Locked thread