Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait is this saying that hairstyles and faces are limited to body styles?

Yes, each gender has three body types (tall, medium, short) that come with different sets of hair and faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Yes. Each body type has a unique set of five faces and five hairstyles to mix and match.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey, is the Awakening bundle an online-only thing or can I go into gamestop and order it as well.

I asked a GS employee about it the day the bundle was announced, but he didn't see any bundle listed. That could just be because it was so soon after the announcement (it wasn't on their website then either)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Fisher King posted:

Hey, is the Awakening bundle an online-only thing or can I go into gamestop and order it as well.

I asked a GS employee about it the day the bundle was announced, but he didn't see any bundle listed. That could just be because it was so soon after the announcement (it wasn't on their website then either)

You can do it in-store. I was trading in a couple games and asked about it, ended up walking out significantly poorer than I was expecting to.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Artix74 posted:

You can do it in-store. I was trading in a couple games and asked about it, ended up walking out significantly poorer than I was expecting to.

awesome! I have a buddy who wants to buy my Zelda 3DS for $160 with a game, so being able to toss a clerk a wad of cash is much better than having to figure out how to get it onto my card without a bank (yay for USAA having no local branches!)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dr Pepper posted:

It's due to how the Avatar 3D models are put together; so yeah, each body type has its own selection of looks.

There are a goodly number of hair color options, though.

For Regy: Male Average, Face 4, Hair 2 should produce a reasonable facsimile of Canas. The only problem might be that he's a little shorter than intended (I always got the impression Canas was a fairly tall dude).

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It sounds like My Unit is a better mage than any Mage could ever hope to be, so I can't think of a decent reason not to pick Magic as his strength.

The flaw though. God drat but I don't want to give anything up :negative:

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE GAME

Edit: If I reclass the MU out of Strategist, then back in, does he begin at level 1 again for Strategist or does he return to his old level? How does that work

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The medium sized male My Unit, one of them looks pretty drat close to being a Shulk likeness from Xenoblade.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Captain Oblivious posted:

It sounds like My Unit is a better mage than any Mage could ever hope to be, so I can't think of a decent reason not to pick Magic as his strength.

The flaw though. God drat but I don't want to give anything up :negative:

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE GAME

Edit: If I reclass the MU out of Strategist, then back in, does he begin at level 1 again for Strategist or does he return to his old level? How does that work

I want MU to be a badass Swordmaster though...Crits and dodges and clearing maps ftw

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Reclassing always starts you at level 1 in whatever class you switch to, it doesn't remember what level you were last time you were in that class. Though there are invisible internal levels it won't reset that'll keep him from gaining EXP like a completely fresh level 1 dude again. Those can only be reset by promoting with a Master Seal, if memory serves.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shiny777 posted:

Reclassing always starts you at level 1 in whatever class you switch to, it doesn't remember what level you were last time you were in that class. Though there are invisible internal levels it won't reset that'll keep him from gaining EXP like a completely fresh level 1 dude again. Those can only be reset by promoting with a Master Seal, if memory serves.

Seems like I need to reclass him out ASAP then.

Edit: On that note, can you reclass into promoted classes? Like lets say I've reached Grandmaster once, can I reclass back into it or would I have to reclass back into Strategist to level all the way back to 20?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

yellowcar posted:

Good god, there needs to be a combination of :ughh: and :japan:
To be fair, there's really only one or two instances of this actually being workable. Most of the characters aren't in any way related, so it's largely impossible to engineer any kind of incest.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Goddamn, this game - the more and more I look at it, the more I want to buy a stupidly overpriced 3DS from a local retailer ($450), since Amazon.com won't ship to Argentina.
For those who own it, is this game good enough to justify a 3DS even if I'm not interested in any other game?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Edit: On that note, can you reclass into promoted classes? Like lets say I've reached Grandmaster once, can I reclass back into it or would I have to reclass back into Strategist to level all the way back to 20?

Depends on what level you do it at.

Unpromoted units, promoted units under 10, and special classes under 30 can only reclass to their unpromoted or special options. Promoted units over 10 and special classes at 30 can reclass directly to promoted classes as well. Promoted units at 20 and special classes at 30 can also use a seal to reset their level to 1 while staying in the same class.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

RuBisCO posted:

Negative.

What
gently caress this lovely game preorder canceled. :mad:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shiny777 posted:

Depends on what level you do it at.

Unpromoted units, promoted units under 10, and special classes under 30 can only reclass to their unpromoted or special options. Promoted units over 10 and special classes at 30 can reclass directly to promoted classes as well. Promoted units at 20 and special classes at 30 can also use a seal to reset their level to 1 while staying in the same class.

Aha

This makes the whole process considerably less of a BOONDOGGLE.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are videos floating around for the Avatar customization.

Male/Female (JPN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-7UMfe0uw
Male-only (ENG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfmFibF_5I

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

There are videos floating around for the Avatar customization.

Male/Female (JPN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-7UMfe0uw
Male-only (ENG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfmFibF_5I

It's going to take a while for the feet to stop being so distracting. They seriously look like they're clipping through the goddamn floor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I seriously never notice the feet and have never noticed the feet, even with people pointing them out to me. It's an art thing. The sprites in the GBA games didn't have fingers. Heck, the sprites in the SNES games didn't even have eyes.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes.

I see you can play as Travis Touchdown, day one buy :syoon:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
In Japanese SRPGs, you can have feet or noses, but not both.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

But Popeye upper body anatomy is ok.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

nftyw posted:

In Japanese SRPGs, you can have feet or noses, but not both.

Hector says gently caress your rules :colbert:

I think I can deal with the peg-leg thing and a couple of skeevy pieces of character art. This game must be mine now; there is no stopping it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

I seriously never notice the feet and have never noticed the feet, even with people pointing them out to me. It's an art thing. The sprites in the GBA games didn't have fingers. Heck, the sprites in the SNES games didn't even have eyes.

It's because the rest of them looks so reasonable. Then you get to the lower torso and it's like what

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Man I started looking at the skills link in the OP again and suddenly I was planning out how I wanted to make a Female Avatar and turn her into a harbinger of flying magic destruction and how I could use Lightning Speed to score a kill and then use the second turn to Rainbow Cry buff the rest of my army. This game can't come out soon enough.

To pass the time, what Class/Skill combinations are people here looking to try with their Avatars? I think it'd be interesting to see how many go all Strength or all Magic, or who tries something more balanced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, every part of the anatomy is kind of hosed. They've got orangutan arms and hooves. poo poo is mad cray-cray.
It's stylized. They couldn't do big ol' character models like Radiant Dawn's that were nicely detailed, and Path of Radiance's were honestly kind of poo poo. They settled for simplified yet exaggerated models, overemphasizing the head (since that's most of the 'character' in the models, and helps distinguish them) and arms (since that's where the weapons are, as well as most of the motion).

It's not an anatomy class, jeez.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think the feet thing is so noticeable for people because it looks like just adding a little triangle in front to make it look more foot-like doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You know, if they add a character from this game to the next Smash Bros, I hope they defy conventions and make it My Unit, just because it feels like they could give him/her a wider array of attacks, what with the swording and the magicking.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Man I started looking at the skills link in the OP again and suddenly I was planning out how I wanted to make a Female Avatar and turn her into a harbinger of flying magic destruction and how I could use Lightning Speed to score a kill and then use the second turn to Rainbow Cry buff the rest of my army. This game can't come out soon enough.

To pass the time, what Class/Skill combinations are people here looking to try with their Avatars? I think it'd be interesting to see how many go all Strength or all Magic, or who tries something more balanced.

I'm going to be rolling a +Spd/-Def glass cannon Assassin because :black101:.
She will have the lowest Def/Res score in the entire army so I'm pretty sure if someone even looks in her general direction she will crumple over and die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

You know, if they add a character from this game to the next Smash Bros, I hope they defy conventions and make it My Unit, just because it feels like they could give him/her a wider array of attacks, what with the swording and the magicking.
Chrom could work if they actually paid attention to the game's mechanics and the fact that he can be a Sniper, Cavalier, or Demon Fighter.

Falchion as his main weapon with bows, axes, magic, and lances as a back-up would be an actually interesting character. He could play a bit like Link, maybe, with the wide array of tools.

Of course that won't happen and we'll get another swordfighter, but hey.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Nakar posted:

To be fair, there's really only one or two instances of this actually being workable. Most of the characters aren't in any way related, so it's largely impossible to engineer any kind of incest.

(Minor spoilers up ins)

Yeah, the "kissing cousins/aunt-uncle&nephew-niece" is largely a result of IntSys not really thinking through the consequences of the Avatar being able to marry every single opposite-gender character. As a result, you can actually end up with one or more third-generation characters, technically, or with a certain character who is related to another in one specific pairing but not in any other and the game script sometimes just does not know what the hell to do in these cases and just defaults to "they're romanceable".

In 95%+ percent of cases, though, the game will catch that something weird would happen and prevent anything other than a "good friendship" from occurring. In anything remotely resembling "normal play", you won't come across anything creepy or :japan:-worthy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

It's stylized. They couldn't do big ol' character models like Radiant Dawn's that were nicely detailed, and Path of Radiance's were honestly kind of poo poo. They settled for simplified yet exaggerated models, overemphasizing the head (since that's most of the 'character' in the models, and helps distinguish them) and arms (since that's where the weapons are, as well as most of the motion).

It's not an anatomy class, jeez.

I actually edited my post because after looking at it longer, I realized it wasn't that their arms were too long it's that their lower torso is weirdly tiny.

I'm not sure if simplified is even a valid defense, because their art is completely reasonable...until you get to the lower torso. It's just bad art :v:

Not bad enough to be a deal breaker by any means.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually it's not bad art at all to use a specific style for a specific purpose but eh, going back and forth over this won't get anywhere.

Anyway I'm going to make My Unit a Dark Pegasus because it's a class concept I've been wanting since I first played the series.

v So uh, do you want to just pretend we went 'but feet' 'but style' 'but feet' 'but style' for another twenty posts and let the thread get back on-topic, or...?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I find it hard to believe that adding feet to their character models would have been that resource intensive, when they already had plenty of detail to spare for My Unit's coat.

Edit: I don't care about your opinion of the art's quality, I'm just interested in the claim that it's a decision in the name of hardware limitations. That claim is more than a little hard to believe. The lack of feet seems more likely a stylistic choice irrespective of memory constraints or what have you. The character models are already generally higher quality than Path of Radiance's. The only thing missing...is feet.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 22, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying? Here's my point:

They couldn't do Radiant Dawn's models because of memory limitations. Memory Limitations are immaterial beyond this point.
They didn't want to do Path of Radiance's models, because they blew.
They used a highly stylized way of modeling the characters (including the lack of feet as part of the style, to under emphasize the legs)

That's the point in it's entirety. Feet would be like, one polygon, of course I don't think the lack of feet is a memory thing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The problem with that is the lack of feet actually draws attention to the legs, rather than decreasing the emphasis on them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ah right I see, I was thrown off because your claim of it being a decision in the name of memory was more in response to my old post about the arms, before I'd realized that the arms seeming off was more symptomatic of the lower torso than a problem with the arms themselves. Carry on.

Zurai posted:

The problem with that is the lack of feet actually draws attention to the legs, rather than decreasing the emphasis on them.

Also this. The hooves make me think of Chinese footbinding, which is mad creepy poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moving swiftly onwards, why can My Unit romance Anna? What about Jake? This is completely in contradiction with everything you have ever been, Anna.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Obviously you need to name your Avatar Jake. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Endorph posted:

Moving swiftly onwards, why can My Unit romance Anna? What about Jake? This is completely in contradiction with everything you have ever been, Anna.

There are tons of Annas in the game, Jake could just be involved with one that isn't in your army.

• Locked thread