Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Marumaru

Marumaru hurries to help Brother Ox inside. "There were, but we dealt with them." She looks at the others. "If we wait here, they're just going to keep coming after us. I want to know what's going on. You can come with me if you want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Inuniku

Inuniku stared at his friend as he staggered in. Everyone was proving so much scarier then he thought they were. As Marumaru spoke up, he shifted his attention back to her.

"Um. Um. Inuniku knows. Some-something kill Red Fists in the night. Inuniku saw they bodies when he went for a walk. He tell-tell Big-Chief-Yaiba, show her. She not sure what going on either. Then Inuniku smell someone watch-watching us. Chased after, but he not see the branch and knocked himself out. When he wake up, Inuniku came back here."

He paused, the gears obviously working overtime in his head.

"...Big-Chief-Yaiba! Inuniku leave her alone! If person he smell kill-killing Red-Fists, she-she could be next, and more Red-Fists blame us."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

"We need to find Yaiba-san then. Show me where you saw her last." Marumaru pulls a hachimaki out and wraps it around her forehead to keep her hair from getting in her eyes, then heads back outside.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

"...Yes-yes." The ratling gently laid Pochi down and took a few steps back. Looking up at Marumaru he bobbed his head, then glanced at the door. "Um. Inuniku needs a thing. Please to wait."

Darting out, he returned a moment later with his sack and plopped it down. Digging through it, he eventually climbed back out clutching a finger of jade.

"This keep Pochi-dog safe, yes-yes?"

He quickly shoved the jade into Qiu's hands and nodded at Marumaru.

"Okay. Follow. Inuniku left a trail."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Ox follows along as Inuniku leads the way. Soon enough, the group is at the place where Yaiba had met the Nezumi...and there is still no sign of the woman, though the dead Red Fist is still there, and there are tracks on the snow...

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

The ratling paused, his ears turning this way and that as he tried to detect any sign of Yaiba. He had been blessedly quiet during the trek; it would seem this was a day for strange occurrences.

"This a new track." He loped alongside it a few yards before looking back. "Inuniku thinks he-he can follow it."

Hunting roll: [23:33] <+Morphball> Shardix: 29 = 5k3(9,[10,2],4,8,1)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru is carrying her sheathed sword in hand, resting it on one shoulder as she walks. "I don't like this. Something else is going on here than just a fight among the bandits."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

"You are right, I think...and to keep these people - to keep all of these people safe, we must learn what is going on."

Qiu sighs.

"Well...I will come with you this time. Perhaps the four of us," He glances at Brother Ox, "can work out what is truly happening here."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Guys I'm sorry this game has fallen so quiet. Are we all still here?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I am good to go whenever.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Ready to go!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

gah I lost my thread bookmark. I'm here~!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sorry for slow response - I graduate this weekend and these past two weeks have been a bit crazy, but I am here!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The tracks in the snow lead to the Red Fists camp. The Red Fists camp is currently in chaos.

Bodies lie in the snow and battle rages between members of the gang, openly assaulting each other. One side seems to be led by Yaiba, bleeding from several injuries and tired but still indomitable. The other is evidently led by the man who reclaimed Ininiku's sword, Murasaki, and he is likewise injured - but less so than Yaiba.

Murasaki's men seem to outnumber those still loyal to Yaiba.

None of them seem to have noticed your arrival yet.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru looks over the scene, then turns to her companions. "I'm not sure what the right thing, the honorable thing, to do here is, but I know I must do something, and there's only one choice that doesn't feel wrong. I hope you'll support me, but I don't demand it. Do as your own consciences require." She draws her sword, dropping the empty scabbard next to a rock. "I will aid Yaiba-san."

Marumaru moves forward, determinedly approaching the nearest of Murasaki's men.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

"Wait, you're going to have to point me at the correct people!" calls out Tomoe. She shrugs, embarrassed. "I can only tell Yaiba apart from the others."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

The ratling nodded vigorously at Marumaru. At Tomoe's words, he chirped excitedly.

"Inuniku has a plan-plan for that. He will mark you enemy. Look for Red Fist with dye all over he-he clothes."

Digging into his sack, he pulled out a bottle of white dye. He held it up, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

"Be-be safe." With that, he darted off, vanishing into the camp.

Stealth: [12:54] <+Morphball> Shardix: 56 = 10k6(6,3,4,2,[10,8],2,5,[10,9],1,4)
Sneaking up on Murasaki. He can move 40 feet as a simple action while sneaking, so it shouldn't take too long.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

"W-wai-, oh that stupid rat!" Tomoe sighs. "I'M BLIND!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

Qiu calls to Inuniku: "Make it a smelly dye."

He turns back to Tomie. "I hope that can help...still, it would be a favor to me if we could try to not kill more than we need to."

The old man sighs, then, and places his walking stick on the ground.

"If you need eyes, though, and the dye is not strong-smelling enough, then stay with me. I will be your eyes."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
As you enter the fray, one of the Red Fists cuts down his opponent - you're not sure what side he's on. He spots you, and shouts, "It's them ronin from town!"

Let's have initiative!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Initiative for Qiu: [21:20] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 17 = 4k3(6,1,9,2)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

Initiative: [20:20] <+Morphball> Shardix: 27 = 4k3(9,7,[10,1],1)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Initiative: [21:34] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 22 = 4k3(8,4,7,7)
Increases by 3 each round until I'm at the top of the init.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

KPrime, 4 = 4, 2 = 2, 9 = 9, 1 = 1, 2 = 2

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Initiative:

[22:53] <Ridley>: .roll 4k3
[22:53] <Morphball>: Ridley: 39 = 4k3(1,9,4,[10,10,6])
[22:53] <Ridley>: holy gently caress why

Okay so the Red Fists, as a group, are going to be acting first. However, because the Red Fists, as a group, are already engaged with other Red Fists, this round they will be acting against each other.

Order is:

Red Fists 39
Inuniku 27
Marumaru 22
Tomoe 17
Qiu 17

The Red Fists have already acted, shifting their stances slightly to accommodate the newcomers to the battle. There are, at this point, about six groups of them in twos and threes, fighting each other. Group One is Yaiba vs Murasaki. Group Two is one of the men you have seen supporting Yaiba vs two others. Group Three is one of the men you saw following Murasaki, vs two others. Groups four through six are one-on-one fights. More fighting can be heard out of sight in other parts of the camp, and the yell from the Red Fist who spotted you is sure to bring more to the field...

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku (Attack Stance, TNtbH: 28)

As the sounds of battle rang out, the ratling scurried quickly behind Murasaki's lines. Yaiba and her loyalists were putting up a valiant effort, but Inuniku had seen firsthand the man's skill with a blade. He had no desire to see Yaiba end up the same way. Leaping from a snow bank, he chattered loudly at Murasaki, an inscrutable length of syllables which assuredly translated into nothing nice. As the man turned briefly, an object flew right towards his face. Inuniku did not wait to see if it hit its mark, darting back the way he came.

Throwing the bottle of dye into Murasaki's face.
Athletics: [00:36] <+Morphball> Shardix: 43 = 7k5(1,2,2,[10,7],7,6,[10,1])
Free action to run away 20 feet.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 20, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru advances on the second group, with the one supporter of Yaiba being pressed by two foes. She strikes at the nearer foe with an all out attack!

Kenjutsu attack!
[20:56] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 30 = 9k4e(7,4,2,3,6,9,8,2,6)

Damage if it connects.
[20:56] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 40 = 8k3(4,2,9,7,4,[10,10,2],8,9)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

Tomoe pauses. Thinks. Smells. Hears. Lets the flow of the battle sink into her.

Before she strikes, she needs to know where.

!r 3k2 Battle+Per
Krysmbot KZA, (8 6, 4) = 14 to get an idea of what the hell is going on (BLIND)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu - Void: 2/3

Qiu sighs, casting away his walking stick. For the first time since arriving in the village, he stands at his full height. He takes a breath, drawing in his focus and reaches out to the world around him, centering his chi within himself.

Spending one Void to activate Touch the Void Dragon - I get +1 to a ring based on the local terrain, which given the snow is probably +1 Earth (for mountains) or +1 Water (for snow). So this won't affect my attack roll.

Then, Qiu moves with shocking speed for an old man. He heads for one of the duels - it will be easiest to quell these battles first, for Qiu is no hero himself. His companions are the heroes. They have chosen to side with Yaiba, and he trusts their decision. (And approves - she seemed the more reasonable.) Still, he will try to preserve what life he can.

He strikes for one of the men dueling that seems to be on Murasaki's side - but he can't be sure which is which. Thus, he will act without harm. The only thing that must be done is to make the fighting stop, after all - and Qiu knows methods of doing this. He reaches out to try and grab one of the men by the arm, to touch a key nerve. "Cease your fighting, please! Stand down!"

[16:29] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 20 = 7k3(3,7,5,2,4,1,8)
[16:32] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 27 = 5k3([10,5],3,3,5,7) - ACtivation roll for Unbalance the Mind.
If that attack hit, then the guy I touched is Dazed. He takes -3k0 to all actions, can only use Defense and Full Defnese stances and must roll Earth against TN 20 to recover during the Reaction Stage of the turn, but the TN goes down 5 each time he fails the roll.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Red Fists 39
Inuniku 27
Marumaru 25
Tomoe 17
Qiu 17

Murasaki howls in fury as the dye is cast. The fury turns to pain as Yaiba takes advantage of the distraction to bring her blade down upon him, though he is not out of the fight just yet.

Marumaru brings down the Red Fist she strikes, evening the odds for one of Yaiba's men.

Tomoe has a sense of where the fighting is happening now, and can smell the caustic white dye that Inuniku used on Murasaki..

Qiu grabs the arm of one of Murasaki's loyalists, who, stunned by the sudden lack of feeling, gapes at him. His opponent, however, is not inclined to leave him standing, and Qiu is spattered by the man's blood.

Just a bit of it, though. This is not an anime or Dragon Age.

There are still several Purple Fists, but the tide will turn if you keep this up guys!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

Marumaru snaps her blade to side, blood spraying off it, then immediately moves into another attack without breaking stride. She brings down the other of Murasaki's men in front of her as she cuts a path towards the duel at the center.

Another attack...
[09:54] <+Morphball> Snorebash: 34 = 9k4e(8,3,9,8,3,9,2,7,3)

And damage.
[09:54] <+Morphball> Snorebash: 73 = 8k3([10,8],2,[10,10,2],[10,10,10,3],5,7,8,3)

[/quote]

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
gently caress cheese, that man's head just came right off.

It came right off.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

Tomoe sniffs the air. Hears the battle. Then, suddenly, she moves.

With 0 hesitation. 0 thought. She dashes through the hole created by Marumaru's slain foe and draws, straight into Murasaki's chest.

KPrime !r 9k4
Krysmbot KPrime, (9 9 8 7, 6 6 4 4 2) = 33
KPrime !r 7k2
Krysmbot KPrime, (12 9, 9 9 8 7 7) = 21

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Inuniku

Drawing his new katana, Inuniku quickly surveyed the scene. His companions had the inititative, for now. Time to ensure their foes could not regain it. Darting back into the fray, he tucked and rolled through the legs of the warriors, springing back up next to Tomoe. Clutching the blade in both hands, he watched warily for any incoming attacks.

"Sad-Eyes! Focus on you-you front, Inuniku will watch you back!"

Shifting to Defense stance, putting my TNtbH at 32. One simple action to draw my weapon, a free action to move back to Tomoe, and a second simple action to take the Guard action for her. My TNtbH drops to 27 and Tomoe's increases by 10.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Qiu

Qiu sighs. Ah well - with warriors, such things are inevitable. He will give the man a proper burial later.

He steps towards the next of the fights, walking lightly and easily. He reaches out again, touching just so. His touch is light and gentle...and yet it touches the exact spot that will render the man helpless.

[16:14] <@MorsRattus> .roll 7k3
[16:14] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 32 = 7k3(1,4,[10,10,5],2,3,3,1)
[16:14] <@MorsRattus> .roll 5k3
[16:14] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 28 = 5k3(5,5,[10,5],8,5)

As before.

"I ask you - spare his life, that he may learn the error of his ways. Disarm him now and he will not harm you."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Okay so you guys here is the question: how many more rounds of hacking people down do you want to roll dice for? Or would you prefer to just go on the narrative for you wiping the floor with who's left of the Red Fist deserters?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Marumaru

As Murasaki falls, Marumaru salutes Yaiba with her blade, then turns to deal with the remaining bandits.

None more. Let's get on with it!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm okay with ending it here, we've pretty clearly shown we can consistently just remove these guys.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Tomoe

"Pfeh, one strike."

Moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yaiba pants, breath steaming in the cold air, as the last of the rebellious Red Fists falls. It would seem that only a few remained loyal - or only a few of those who did remain alive.

There are many dead.

Murasaki and his rebels did not leave many of their foes uninjured, either. In the chaos of the fighting, it seems that most of the Red Fists took wounds. To a man they are stoic, not complaining or moaning.

"So that's the end of us," Yaiba says fatalistically, seeing her half-dozen men. "We'll not last the winter in this shape."

• Locked thread