Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MegaCharger posted:

When are the hokages gonna show up? I'm kind of bored of Naruto repeatedly protecting everyone.
Me, i've been kind of bored with all these giant-monster-fights. For a bunch of reasons, the main one being that the power creep has gone off the charts. When was the last time you saw someone doing some smart ninja combat? All these powerups and teamups from nowhere are kind of the path of least resistance in terms of writing. It honestly feels like fanfiction at this point.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

MegaCharger posted:

When are the hokages gonna show up? I'm kind of bored of Naruto repeatedly protecting everyone.

They're protecting him now, but definitely want some more Hokage action.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MegaCharger posted:

Now I know what Milhouse felt during Poochie's debut :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

|Ziggy| posted:

They're protecting him now, but definitely want some more Hokage action.

Well, expect that to change again soon given that Minato is probably going to give him the other half of the 9-tails chakra in the next chapter or two.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Well, expect that to change again soon given that Minato is probably going to give him the other half of the 9-tails chakra in the next chapter or two.

Am I the only one who kind of hopes Kurama becomes an rear end in a top hat again once he gets the other half of his chakra back?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I don't know if it's because I always end up reading the Mangastream version second, but their translation is really beginning to bother me with their unnecessary thesaurus words. poo poo like last time's "I'M ON CLOUD NINE" and all these euphemisms sound really dumb.

Echoing everyone else here about how making Rin the carrier for a tailed beast was a dumb plot point. Yes, every nation knew that jinchuuriki are unstable, but I thought every nation was fighting to get them because it's like stockpiling nuclear arsenal. That's really stupid of the Mist Nation to assume the Fire Nation wouldn't be able to contain its power or subdue the jinchuuriki. If Konoha was able to contain the 9-tails, what made them think the 3-tails would succeed?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Willsun posted:

I don't know if it's because I always end up reading the Mangastream version second, but their translation is really beginning to bother me with their unnecessary thesaurus words. poo poo like last time's "I'M ON CLOUD NINE" and all these euphemisms sound really dumb.

Echoing everyone else here about how making Rin the carrier for a tailed beast was a dumb plot point. Yes, every nation knew that jinchuuriki are unstable, but I thought every nation was fighting to get them because it's like stockpiling nuclear arsenal. That's really stupid of the Mist Nation to assume the Fire Nation wouldn't be able to contain its power or subdue the jinchuuriki. If Konoha was able to contain the 9-tails, what made them think the 3-tails would succeed?

Well to be fair, the last time that Konoha had troubles with Kurama was during Madara's fight with Hashirama and I suppose that nobody but the elders knew the identity of the jinchuuriki. Plus the Hidden Mist never strike me like being a village filled with tacticians :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 9, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Willsun posted:

Mangastream is better than Mangapanda, but they aren't perfect. I do sometimes feel they take one too many liberties that can either end up with everyone having the same "voice" r losing a little meaning. But its much better than mangapanda's translation. I'm not convincedd mangapanda even speak english let alone are capable of translating into it.

I'm kinda getting the impression that the Mist had some method of just unleashing the bijuu fully. They are basically using Rin to carry the Tailed beast into the village. When it is free, it'll just loving rampage and, as we saw when the Nine Tails did it some years later, fighting a wild bijuu is something the entire village has trouble with.

Now obviously, this plan is not gonna end up destroying the leaf. The leaf would have not only the Third and Minato to help fight the Three Tails, but their own jinnchuriki not to mention that Orochimaru is certainly still with Konoha at this time and Jiraya is probably around too, barring missions and poo poo. Presumably they are looking to simply weaken the Leaf post-war.

Since Hashirama isn't around maybe they dont think that the leaf would be able to contain the Three Tails and would be forced to drive it off, or kill it? (Or maybe the leaf would be hesitant to hold onto the Three Tails as it would provoke the other nations, thinking the leaf is getting a little big for its britches?) but that is obviously just speculation, and risking something as valuable as a bijuu on such a plan smacks of idiocy, the real Madara somehow stirring poo poo up, or insane desperation.
Or lovely writing I guess :v:

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
The cloud country did some of the most ridiculous (and often times makes no sense) things.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bisse posted:

It honestly feels like fanfiction at this point.
Honestly, I've read better fanfiction.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

MegaCharger posted:

We've come full circle. Now when Naruto's on the page people want to the manga to cut over to Sasuke's group.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Surec posted:

We've come full circle. Now when Naruto's on the page people want to the manga to cut over to Sasuke's group.

Only because Sasuke's traveling companions are actually interesting (and nothing's really happening on Naruto's end.) :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What are the chances Naruto gets Tobi's eyes including the one Kakashi has / Nagato's Rinnegan in order for him to be the SO6P?

e: Also theres a decent hypothesis about the So6P being the son of an Uzumaki.

http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=333535

Kild fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 9, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

What are the chances Naruto gets Tobi's eyes including the one Kakashi has / Nagato's Rinnegan in order for him to be the SO6P?

e: Also theres a decent hypothesis about the So6P being the son of an Uzumaki.

http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=333535

For some reason I never thought about Obito's eyes going to Naruto. It would work, too, considering Obito's knowledge on SO6P stuff is somewhat decent and he might change sides.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm tempted to say Obito is beyond redemption after his actions as the "real Fourth Mizukage," but considering the recent developments with Orochimaru, who knows? I'm not sure how you can talk a committed solipsist like Obito out of his worldview, though. All the points that convinced Sasuke are irrelevant to him, because he can just respond to them with "I don't consider that real."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
I'm guessing that the Rinnegan doesn't require special eyes or genetics to awaken. It strikes me as being something that comes with a certain degree of spiritual awakening. Essentially, you get them if you become a Ninja Buddha.

Note that destroying the world to save people from suffering is a very Japanese Shonen Buddha-villain thing to do.

On the other hand, being awesome in a unique and personal way seems to be the Senju thing to do.

Naruto with Rinne-tensei kind of just makes death irrelevant though. Actually, since he has unlimited chakra, Madara could literally just end death forever if he wanted to.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm guessing that the Rinnegan doesn't require special eyes or genetics to awaken. It strikes me as being something that comes with a certain degree of spiritual awakening. Essentially, you get them if you become a Ninja Buddha.

If that were the case I am wondering why Hashirama never awakened them. And why did Madara awaken his?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

If that were the case I am wondering why Hashirama never awakened them. And why did Madara awaken his?

Hashirama was too busy with day to day concerns and trying to implement a political solution to worldwide suffering. You can be an awesome dude and not become a Buddha. Using worldly power to good ends isn't necessarily a bad thing in this context, it's just not the path that leads one to being a Buddha (or vague Buddha analog). Giving up political power is explicitly what the original Buddha did immediately prior to his enlightenment.

Madara awakened the Rinnegan when he became an ascetic and put his mind to using his power to end suffering on a worldwide scale.

Naruto's solution to the problems of his crappy world is also fundamentally a spiritual one. He isn't proposing a new ninja system, he basically just wants people to think about each other differently and believes that the world will become a better place if enough people make that their goal in life. Ie, he is Ninja Jesus.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Meanwhile, the subs for the Road to Ninja movie finally came out. Given that Kishi was the one writing the story for this one, it had somewhat higher expectations than the typical Naruto movie. Overall, it was just kind of okay-ish. I can't help but think it squandered a lot of its potential, though it had a few unexpected amusing surprises. At the very least, Naruto and his parents was done well while the Sakura sub-plot was just dumb. Would have liked to see a bit more of topsy turvy versions of Naruto's friends, but I guess a lot of that got cut for time (given there was gif of Hinata punching Sasuke posted around here from way back, but never showed up in the movie). The battles could have been better too, instead of bland. Basically, I feel like there could have been a lot more interesting things done with the initial premise.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure how you can talk a committed solipsist like Obito out of his worldview, though. All the points that convinced Sasuke are irrelevant to him, because he can just respond to them with "I don't consider that real."

Gonna have to have ghost Rin debate him to the truth. Maybe ask him why his hasn't used his Rinnegan to resurrect her, then get into a 10 chapter debate about Plato's Cave.

Alternatively, zombie 4th might have the pull as Obito's teacher and former Ninja Jesus to pull Obito out of his world subjugation scheming. Over a decade inside the Death God's stomach has got to give you at least some cred when it comes to metaphysical discussion.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Why doesn't Obito revive her with Edo Tensei?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
He has said that it isn't just about Rin, even if he revived her, the horrible ninja system that resulted in her dying and all the suffering of others wouldn't change.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Allarion posted:

Meanwhile, the subs for the Road to Ninja movie finally came out. Given that Kishi was the one writing the story for this one, it had somewhat higher expectations than the typical Naruto movie. Overall, it was just kind of okay-ish. I can't help but think it squandered a lot of its potential, though it had a few unexpected amusing surprises. At the very least, Naruto and his parents was done well while the Sakura sub-plot was just dumb. Would have liked to see a bit more of topsy turvy versions of Naruto's friends, but I guess a lot of that got cut for time (given there was gif of Hinata punching Sasuke posted around here from way back, but never showed up in the movie). The battles could have been better too, instead of bland. Basically, I feel like there could have been a lot more interesting things done with the initial premise.

That was a fanmade gif traced over from another show :ssh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

He has said that it isn't just about Rin, even if he revived her, the horrible ninja system that resulted in her dying and all the suffering of others wouldn't change.

Plus apparently that wasn't the real Rin anyway. The real Rin is way to perfect to die like that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It just occurred to me that Obito hates everyone for being fakes, or "phonies" if you will.

So Naruto is basically battling against ninja Holden Caulfield.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not really sure how Obito will get converted by the power of friendship. He actively rejects reality, lacks physical sensations and doesn't seem to be aware of his own emotions. He still has emotions subconsciously but he doesn't seem to feel them, if that makes sense.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not really sure how Obito will get converted by the power of friendship. He actively rejects reality, lacks physical sensations and doesn't seem to be aware of his own emotions. He still has emotions subconsciously but he doesn't seem to feel them, if that makes sense.

Historically speaking, things have not worked out well in terms of "Friendship no Jutsu" for Akatsuki members.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

He's no mere member of Akatsuki though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

U.T. Raptor posted:

Honestly, I've read better fanfiction.

Trap sprung

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kushina looks like she would've been awesome :(

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Seems like a really stupid thing for Kakashi to do, just kill Rin. Won't the three tails just be released wildly wherever he is then? I don't recall that killing the host kills the tailed beast itself

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Guilty posted:

Seems like a really stupid thing for Kakashi to do, just kill Rin. Won't the three tails just be released wildly wherever he is then? I don't recall that killing the host kills the tailed beast itself

I think you need to go back and re-read the chapter, you seem to have missed at least two important points.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guilty posted:

It actually does kill the Tailed Beast, though only temporarily.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Guilty posted:

When Naruto was fighting the Raikage to allow him to fight in the war, the Raikage said that he would rather kill Naruto then than let Madara get the 9 tails. Doing so would cause both to die with the kyuubi resurrecting in a couple years. If killing the host released the tailed beast, then killing Naruto would have no effect on Madara's plans.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Guilty posted:

IIRC, if a host dies without the beast being transferred then it just reappears somewhere after a period of time.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Ah, that's why the hidden mist village is loving dumb

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
There was also a moment when Naruto was near-death, where the Kyuubi explicitly mentions he is starting to fade too.

Not to mention the entire reason that Kurama even gave Naruto any of his chakra in the first place, way back at the beginning of the series is to ensure his own survival. I mean, yeah he'll revive anyway but I guess dying isn't a pleasant experience for them in any event.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Not to mention the entire reason that Kurama even gave Naruto any of his chakra in the first place, way back at the beginning of the series is to ensure his own survival. I mean, yeah he'll revive anyway but I guess dying isn't a pleasant experience for them in any event.

Evidently not, if dying would release him from imprisonment and he still doesn't want to.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Black Is Black posted:

Historically speaking, things have not worked out well in terms of "Friendship no Jutsu" for Akatsuki members.
Hey, it worked fine for Konan, it was Sharingan bullshit that got her :colbert:

Guilty posted:

Ah, that's why the hidden mist village is loving dumb
I really have no idea how the Mist got to be classified as one of the five great villages.

Edit: v Not to mention that their Seven Swordsmen consists of, what, one guy right now? And that at least two of them have turned traitor, and that they'd lost all but one of their swords.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

U.T. Raptor posted:

I really have no idea how the Mist got to be classified as one of the five great villages.

Yeah, thinking about it...

A: kills off half of their graduating students pre-Zabuza.
B: Hunts down and kills bloodline users
C: Throws their bijuu at the one village whose upper echelons count the two best (presumably) sealing experts in the world.

How the gently caress do they function?

• Locked thread