Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Is there a site that gives information on all the promo series? I'm curious about the NA ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Sidpret posted:

Is there a site that gives information on all the promo series? I'm curious about the NA ones.

Leaguepedia does! Here!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

The Mattybee posted:

So it looks like the EU summer promos are in like a week - is anyone who knows about the EU scene more familiar with some of the coming up teams? I've heard of MYM, Alternate, and Anexis, but are any of the others actually big names/threats?
Alex Ich mentioned that he though the Dexter team is strong.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I wish people would stop playing Karthus. I see that he is really good, but when you go from watching Zed, Kha, TF, Ahri, or really any other mid, it is super boring and seems too easy.

edit: Zuna and mancloud swapped roles. I can think of times when lanes changed with unconventional champs, but not where an adc and top just switch completely.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 28, 2013

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Goop posted:

I wish people would stop playing Karthus. I see that he is really good, but when you go from watching Zed, Kha, TF, Ahri, or really any other mid, it is super boring and seems too easy.

edit: Zuna and mancloud swapped roles. I can think of times when lanes changed with unconventional champs, but not where an adc and top just switch completely.

Actually most of the games I've seen have been from a very limited pool of champions. The entire LCS was pretty much from a very limited pool of champs.

The problem is that the players have a pool of champs that they are good at and those try something new pretty much get punished.

Until someone plays blitz and everything goes boom! :^)

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
What the hell is a "first stone"?

Why do killed champions "fall down"?

What happens when you get your revengeance?

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 28, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Wow, that was kind of a waste of a ghost by Voyboy, and I did not know about the

Still: Dragon, 2 Turrets and 2 kills. Not bad going.

fake e: 3 kills. Curse kinda stomping

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Goop posted:

Actually they all swapped roles but the support guy

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Isn't there like $5,000 on the line? Why would they role swap?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Libertine posted:

Isn't there like $5,000 on the line? Why would they role swap?

At the same time, it's "only" 5000. Both teams are absolutely secure in the summer split and this is as good a time as any to change up on Curse a little, have Vulcun feel them out for the future and see how they respond to role changes and shifting the meta a bit.

Sadly it doesn't seem to be paying off :v:

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
So I'm studying for my statistics examination tomorrow, and I was looking for a diversion. Why not combine League and statistics? I've been hearing that Blue side has a better win rate than Red side. So, here is a quick hypothesis test using the data for the NA LCS given on http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/tuck-esports-inquirer/21639-blue-side-vs-purple-inside-the-startling-numbers

In particular, "In 145 games played the blue team won 86 of them or 59.3%"

Let X denote the number of games that Blue will win. X follows a binomial distribution with index 145 and probability of success p. The sample provides an estimate of p:

p̂ = .593

If there is no map bias, p=0.5 I.E.

H0 : p = 0.5 vs H1: p =/= .50

If H0 is true then p=0.5 , Expected value of X is np = 72.5, standard deviation of X = Square root (145*0.5*(1-0.5))= 6.028. We find the one sided P value using the normal approximation: P (X≥86) = 1-P(Y≤86.5) = 1-P(Z≤(86.5-72)/6.028) = 1- 0.9893 = .00107

P value = 2x0.00107=0.00207. The P value is sufficiently small that we can reject H0. There is evidence to suggest that the Blue side has a win bias.

Something I did for fun. If you're good at stats, please let me know if the math is wrong so I can not make the mistake tomorrow!

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Dyllyn posted:

Binomial

You need iid (independent identically distributed) Bernoulli(p) trials to use the Binomial distribution. Both assumptions are violated here: games played in the same series are likely dependent. Similarly, different series will have different base p's (e.g. best team vs. worst team isn't a coin flip). You need to run a logistic regression to adjust out the effect of these non-map factors on winning probability.

LoL stuff: What're the chances we get a US finals that are even half as interesting as the EU ones? :(

van fem fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 28, 2013

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I like Megazero as a player but every time I see him or listen to him I just want to shove him in a locker

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Good god these players are awkward as hell....

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Ahhh you're right. Perhaps an analysis of all challenger/diamond games played in a month would better satisfy the independent trials requirement.

Edit: Voyboy still scratches his nose in that really weird way. I remember him scratching his nose kept coming up in the Twitch chat while I was watching him scrim against Studio and the rest of Velocity. They said it was because he wasn't used to the weather but now I wonder if that's a behavioral tic of his.

Dyllyn fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 28, 2013

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Vulcun had a history of doing roleswaps for no reason. Bad habits die hard :911:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm still watching the games from last week, and I just wanted to say that MRN was down 3 inhibs and came back to beat CLG. Not sure if it's just me that's out of the loop or what, but that's just something I never imagined could happen.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

van fem posted:

LoL stuff: What're the chances we get a US finals that are even half as interesting as the EU ones? :(

The finals proper, very good. GGU pulled out some completely unexpected amazingness last night, and we can expect more of the same today.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Should have just disqualified Vulcun for the roleswap and ended the series. This is a snorefest.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
When are the NA finals?

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Rhux is making some jaw droppingly awful mistakes. Popping out of the brush when they were about to jump on Ryze was painful to watch. Ditto with him walking into a Caitlyn trap vs GGU yesterday while sieging GGU's inhibitor turret.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

SpaceDrake posted:

The finals proper, very good. GGU pulled out some completely unexpected amazingness last night, and we can expect more of the same today.

Why should we expect something that's a divergence from the norm?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dyllyn posted:

Rhux is making some jaw droppingly awful mistakes. Popping out of the brush when they were about to jump on Ryze was painful to watch. Ditto with him walking into a Caitlyn trap vs GGU yesterday while sieging GGU's inhibitor turret.

I don't know why Crs keeps brining Rhux in to support because he's a great player but he's clearly not a support player. He almost always plays top lane when he's not playing with Curse and it's very obvious watching him in a professional setting that his mindset just isn't in that support mindset. I don't know why if they drop Elementz because he wasn't dedicated enough to the support role and didn't want to practice more support games or something but then they pick up a guy who is even less committed to support.

Just watching Bloodwater play against him, Bloodwater is just way way way better. Bloodwater has become my favorite support to watch in NA LCS, you can tell why he does everything he does, his positioning and warding is fantastic.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

how is vulcan turning this around! this is amazing...loving it

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dyllyn posted:

Yeah he ruined a free kill. I've done that before, he was probably trying to reposition to the very edge of the bush to hook easier, but with 5 champions in a bush like that path finding is very hard and WILL gently caress you up.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 28, 2013

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
190 cs on orianna at the 40 min mark. That should be a ~25 minute mark cs..

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

silly posted:

Should have just disqualified Vulcun for the roleswap and ended the series. This is a snorefest.

Oh really?

That was an excellent comeback by Vulcan.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Those. loving. Throws.

And yeah what was that Ori CS, I can manage higher CS on an AP mid in a fight that long and I'm not even level 30. :geno:

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

LGD posted:

Oh really?

Can't believe they won this. Brilliant!

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Bloodwater has been landing some excellent crescendos, pretty much won them the game just through those.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Bloodwater is an amazing playcaller, that decision to just go for broke and engage at the end there was fantastic.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Left the second game in disgust; came back to game 3 picks! Loving these upsets :)

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Goddamnit they let them get Shen/Nocturne. This is going to be ugly. And they picked Vlad in response. Ugh.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Uh oh. Incoming shen/noc combo on Zuna. there's really no way to defend against that.. Kogmaw is going to die, hard.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
That's going to depend on Bloodwater's positioning here. Between Flay, Box, and Lantern that's a lot of safety for Kog'Maw.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Is there some reason that Noc has been banned so much against Curse? I feel like Saint is much better on other junglers and they haven't even played it that much. I guess this game will decide whether or not it was a good idea to leave it open.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."

LGD posted:

Oh really?

That was an excellent comeback by Vulcan.

Whoops

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

To be fair that really did look like it was going to be a pretty bad stomp for basically the entire early game.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ninkobei posted:

Uh oh. Incoming shen/noc combo on Zuna. there's really no way to defend against that.. Kogmaw is going to die, hard.

whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Holy crap Zuna. Jukemaster Kog.

• Locked thread