Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

hot sauce posted:

Just sent the list of names to them, so when you register it should give you the discount. I'm going to register later today after I get a few things done at work.

Link: http://www.cornerspin.com/spinregistrations.html
Click "Register Online Now" for the form.

Saturday & Sunday, May 17th-18th, 2014 (Tier 4 pricing)

About to sign up, why dont they take amex drat it.

CheeseSpawn fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yep, you can put my name in there if you want, but I gave them a list of everyone's name as well so they know who we are when they see you register.

The site is a little bootleg - no amex but they do have an option to send check or money order lol

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Just got my confirmation email from them, all set!

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Koruthaiolos posted:

Just got my confirmation email from them, all set!

Got my confirmation, apparently they make you a lunch?!?

Need to go set up a hotel res now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lunch is provided, gatorade & water is also provided. When I went lunch was deli meat/cheese and bread to make sandwiches as well as some chips and snacks.

I recommend making sure you hydrate well the week leading up to the school because you will sweat your rear end off and despite the provided drinks you'll get dehydrated pretty easy.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Ever since our main drag strip in VA closed this has been scheduled to come back, it's been years, lets see if it finally happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqN5-SXEOO4&t=72s

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yes! It says they'll have a venue for concerts, drive-in theater, and BINGO! Finally!

Also, I really liked the stopped traffic on virtual 95. At least we know that part will be accurate.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.

ought ten posted:

Give Myer's Cycle in Kensington, MD a call. They've been good to me the last few years. Not always cheap, but it's worth a call.

That's my usual spot that gave me the outlandish quote. $250 for a single rear tire that costs $110 on motorcycle-superstore. A quick googling around led me to believe paying much more than $50 to have a tire mounted is a ripoff...

They have been fantastic to me every other time i've dealt with them but this quote was kind of off-putting.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ernie Luckman posted:

That's my usual spot that gave me the outlandish quote. $250 for a single rear tire that costs $110 on motorcycle-superstore. A quick googling around led me to believe paying much more than $50 to have a tire mounted is a ripoff...

They have been fantastic to me every other time i've dealt with them but this quote was kind of off-putting.

Strange. And lovely. Last time Deep did some work for me I wasn't happy with the price for what he did. I hope this isn't a trend.

In other news, I'm out of here for a few months. I'll be back in July, which I'm sure we all agree is the best time to ride in DC. Have fun at Cornerspin, enjoy the spring and I'll see you all this summer.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I finally got off my lazy rear end found time in my packed social calender to register for Cornerspin, and I just got the confirmation email.

It'd be awesome if HNasty can host a bieks night at the deli, or we can meet for a happy hour in the city, or the craziest idea of them all, we have a weekend ride together so we can get a handle on whose coming, discuss how we want to travel and debate accommodations (hotel or AirBnB a whole house). Thoughts?

Edit: We could get a whole place like this for $700.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 25, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No experience with AirBnB personally, but if everyone wants to do that count me in. However, the hotel nearby is cheap if we do 2 to a room, everyone would get a bed, and we wouldn't have to worry about getting someone's house dirty with our gear. Either works for me so lets discuss next time we meet up.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

So we're going riding all day Saturday right? It's going to be clear skies and high 60's.

VVV Thanks! I got the details from Hot Sauce. See you guys Saturday morning!

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2014

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

McLarenF1 posted:

So we're going riding all day Saturday right? It's going to be clear skies and high 60's.

I got a couple people meeting at my place, and then headed to Woodbridge to pick up a couple others, and then out into the wild blue yonder. (Probably Rt 33 or 675 or something.) We'll be rolling around 10am cause I need time for coffee.

Edit: Hnasty made me realize that this should be said: PM for details.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 4, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I got a couple people meeting at my place, and then headed to Woodbridge to pick up a couple others, and then out into the wild blue yonder. (Probably Rt 33 or 675 or something.) We'll be rolling around 10am cause I need time for coffee.

Yall mahfuckas rollin without me? I see how it is >:[

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

HNasty posted:

Yall mahfuckas rollin without me? I see how it is >:[
Eh, not like that. I should have said to PM for details on the where. So do that.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Another good ride, it wouldn't be a DC goon bike ride unless it was in lovely weather :)

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The vented jacket was a bad idea. Still haven't thawed out.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Where'd you guys end up going?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Down 211 to 33 and back.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

With a pit stop side ways in some gravel :v:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Extremely aggressive backing it in technique.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

McLaren, I hope your bikes not going to be in too many pieces to get down to NC in a couple weeks!

And speaking of which, anybody have any more ideas for getting together to discuss plans for Cornerspin? Might be time to start looking at booking hotel rooms and planning travel routes and times.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Yea about that, I'm getting surgery on Monday for my shoulder. Rehab is ~3 months, so def won't be making CornerSpin. I already emailed them, they were nice enough to give me a full refund, so please be sure to thank them again for me.

That being said, I'm trying to get back on my bike / the links as soon as humanly possible. Being inside in the summer is just cruel and unusual punishment.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

And speaking of which, anybody have any more ideas for getting together to discuss plans for Cornerspin? Might be time to start looking at booking hotel rooms and planning travel routes and times.

Just an FYI for you guys, I booked my room a couple weeks ago at the recommended Comfort Suites and they only had single rooms available. I have a room booked Fri-Mon so if people need to store their junk somewhere during the day Sunday I'll have space.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

Yea about that, I'm getting surgery on Monday for my shoulder. Rehab is ~3 months, so def won't be making CornerSpin. I already emailed them, they were nice enough to give me a full refund, so please be sure to thank them again for me.

That being said, I'm trying to get back on my bike / the links as soon as humanly possible. Being inside in the summer is just cruel and unusual punishment.

drat dude :( Hope it heals up quickly

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just an FYI for you guys, I booked my room a couple weeks ago at the recommended Comfort Suites and they only had single rooms available. I have a room booked Fri-Mon so if people need to store their junk somewhere during the day Sunday I'll have space.

What is the nightly rate there? If there is nothing else nearby this might be the way to go. I have off work that Monday so I'll be staying Sunday night as well.

As for getting down there, I think we should just roll out of DC a little after rush hour on that Friday. Hnasty suggested we have at least one car drive down in case anyone eats it and is unable to make the ride back. I don't have a car, so I was just going to ride down or hitch a ride if someone has an open spot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

hot sauce posted:

What is the nightly rate there? If there is nothing else nearby this might be the way to go. I have off work that Monday so I'll be staying Sunday night as well.

$79 a night, 3 nights after taxes ended up at $267

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just reserved a room to share w Koruthaiolos. I believe all of the singles have a pullout couch so 2 to a room shouldn't be a problem. To those that haven't reserved anything, I'd look into it soon. It's a nascar weekend and will probably fill up at some point. Google maps shows some other hotels in the area but I doubt any are cheaper than the deal through cornerspin.

edit: also booked 3 nights, Fri - Mon

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 11, 2014

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

McLarenF1 posted:

Ah poo poo dude, that's awful, I'm sorry. Just as the winter was finally breaking too. Good luck with the surgery, and at least CornerSpin were cool with refunding you.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Just took the MRC course this weekend on a whim and I think I've got the bug. Any general tips on good places to buy gear / bikes in the area or good roads for a beginner will be greatly appreciated.

edit: how would this be?

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 14, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Phone posting so can't elaborate, but getting a vintage bike for a first is a bad idea. Post in the "what bike i should buy" thread, they'll help you out.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

Just took the MRC course this weekend on a whim and I think I've got the bug. Any general tips on good places to buy gear / bikes in the area or good roads for a beginner will be greatly appreciated.

Coleman Powersports in Falls Church has a good gear selection and will sometimes price match websites like motorcycle superstore. Gear is usually cheaper online in general, though.

Not sure what the closest beginner roads would be to you - are you in DC or a surrounding suburb? If you are in a suburb I'd do some drills in a nearby parking lot and then just find any empty road to cruise around on at a non-rush hour time. It's a little tougher in DC proper. I had to learn in the downtown area myself, so I would just go to the national mall and ride around really late after commuters and tourists were gone.

As for that bike...I wouldn't feel comfortable on that on the beltway plus you'll prob spend half your time fixing it. Why not get something newer? The usual response around here is a ninja 250/sv650/drz400sm/gs 500

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, what general area are you in? We could probably find some good routes for you. And I'm sure one us would be willing to go out with you.

Also, where did you do the class? I'm trying to find a good md location for my wife.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Necc0 posted:

Buy a 70's bike, and you'll spend more time searching Ebay for rare parts and fabricating gaskets and wiring harnesses than you will riding. If you *must* get an older bike for budget reasons, stick to the really really really common UJM models from the 80s and 90s. The KZ500/550, CB500/750, the Yamaha versions (XS?).

The best bet is to get one of the models that was made for decades without any changes, and not worry too much about the specific year. (or decade) The Ninjas, Viragos, GS500, SV650, KLR650, stuff like that.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Holy lol at that price.

M42 posted:

Phone posting so can't elaborate, but getting a vintage bike for a first is a bad idea. Post in the "what bike i should buy" thread, they'll help you out.

This looks to be a clean well maintained version so it shouldn't be too bad, but yeah at that price I wouldn't touch it also be warned a 70's 200 is legit not gonna be highway capable.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

Also, where did you do the class? I'm trying to find a good md location for my wife.

Howard CC is supposed to be pretty prime MSF. I've heard they keep their trainer bikes in decent repair and they keep in touch with newbies. I took the Lee Parks Total Control class there, and it was pretty nice. not related to MSF tho.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Ha and that's why I'm asking you guys. As for location I'm in the Arlington area for now but may or may not be moving into DC at the end of the summer. I was originally considering a ninja 250 so I guess I'll go back to that.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Koruthaiolos posted:

It was with these guys and I highly recommend them. Really good instruction from experienced riders.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Necc0 posted:

Ha and that's why I'm asking you guys. As for location I'm in the Arlington area for now but may or may not be moving into DC at the end of the summer. I was originally considering a ninja 250 so I guess I'll go back to that.
If you come across a GS500, it's a great alternative to the ninjette for around the same price.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Replacing me already huh? :argh:

Fake edit: I've got Friend selling a Ninja 250 that's well maintained, if you PM me I can connect you via email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Seconding Coleman over in Falls Church. I know there have been occasional mixed reviews but I've never had a bad experience there. They've been good with gear, seemed to give a drat about proper fitment, and will order pretty much anything for you. Also the price matching thing is handy.

Necc0, I just started riding last summer while living over in Arlington. Shoot me a PM and I can show you some of the less-traveled roads I found while getting used to the bike. I think I still have them saved on gmaps. Seconding the parking lot drill refresh too. I picked up some dirt cheap MSF style cones on Amazon that I chuck in a bag and use to mark some basic stuff for drills. For 7 bucks it's pretty worth it.

• Locked thread