Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009
If you're gonna go with one of the live-action mini-series ones, go with Hogfather if it's a toon, then Soul Music. That was coincidentally the first discworld novel I ever read, and it hooked me hard. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Wyrd Sisters is my favourite.

The Milkman Cometh posted:

I'm up for watching Granny Weatherwax kick but

Seconding this, always love Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I'm kind of into the toon idea, actually.

So: next weekend? Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bacter posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeees.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bacter posted:

I am so psyched for this. Though Soul Music never really hooked me. First of all because "Band with Rocks In" always made me think "Rocks in what? Rocks in what?!?!", second of all because I've never found Susan to be terribly interesting and dislike that from what I can recall, Soul Music marked the start of Death books really being more Susan books than Death.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm ashamed it took me forever before I got the elvish joke.

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007

Poil posted:

I'm ashamed it took me forever before I got the elvish joke.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Which elvish joke?

:(

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bacter posted:

Which elvish joke?

:(

chop the 'h' off of Elvish and you'll get it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Watch the cartoon for Soul Music. That's how I realized it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh, right right! Phew!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shoeless posted:

"Band with Rocks In" always made me think "Rocks in what? Rocks in what?!?!"

The band. I totally agree about Susan though. And there's the fact that she's one of those characters who gets super powers and resents it. Stop whinging you lucky bastard. And I find the cartoon Soul Music is missing so much of what makes the book good that it's hard to view it objectively. Still, that bit where Death turns and says YES, I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING. is really, really good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tiggum posted:

And I find the cartoon Soul Music is missing so much of what makes the book good that it's hard to view it objectively.

Since every other word in the book is some sort of reference to a rock band, it's difficult to get the full effect from video.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bruceski posted:

Since every other word in the book is some sort of reference to a rock band, it's difficult to get the full effect from video.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they did a bad job, just that it's a really hard book to convert into a TV show.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The band. I totally agree about Susan though. And there's the fact that she's one of those characters who gets super powers and resents it. Stop whinging you lucky bastard. And I find the cartoon Soul Music is missing so much of what makes the book good that it's hard to view it objectively. Still, that bit where Death turns and says YES, I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING. is really, really good.

Then add "It" to the end! My poor, broken sanity and understanding of the English language... :(

But you've definitely hit upon why I dislike Susan. Stop whining because you have super powers. Seriously. Stop it this instant young lady. No one's forcing you to use them if you don't want, if you really do just want to be a nanny (why?!?!?) then use them to help augment things for Offler's sake!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So, not a moment too soon, I've acquired THE GOODS.

Anybody up for a viewin', say, tomorrow night US time? I could do Sunday too?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bacter posted:

So, not a moment too soon, I've acquired THE GOODS.

Anybody up for a viewin', say, tomorrow night US time? I could do Sunday too?

What timeframe are you thinking of? 6 PM whatever timezone you're in? Saturday sounds good to me.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It'd have to be a bit later - around 9 Eastern?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bacter posted:

It'd have to be a bit later - around 9 Eastern?

That's, what, 7pm Texas time?

Yeah, I'm in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Death's always a treat when he shows.

Aren't wizards all the time talking to Death to ask him about murders? But I suppose civilians doing it is where he draws the line.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Death's always a treat when he shows.

Aren't wizards all the time talking to Death to ask him about murders? But I suppose civilians doing it is where he draws the line.

Not really. There's a fairly reliable ritual to summon HIM, but, well... Most wizards are old. They don't want to draw his attention. And they always get him at inopportune times.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Not really. There's a fairly reliable ritual to summon HIM

Depends on your definition of reliable. There are twelve ways to perform the rite of AshkEnte, eight of them will kill you instantly and the ninth is very hard to remember.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Not to mention, if I'm remembering correctly, it kind of cheeses death off to be summoned, and that's typically something you want to avoid.

Edit: Probably going to go Twitch tonight. Will give the link when ready! Still thinking around 9 - it depends when I get back (and when the powerwife goes to bed, but she's an early sleeper), so sometime around there!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bacter posted:

Not to mention, if I'm remembering correctly, it kind of cheeses death off to be summoned, and that's typically something you want to avoid.

He can technically be summoned with a few cc's of mouse blood and nothing else, but THAT annoys him. Wizards tend to go for the more ornate stuff just to keep him happy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

He can technically be summoned with a few cc's of mouse blood and nothing else, but THAT annoys him. Wizards tend to go for the more ornate stuff just to keep him happy.

I thought it mostly annoyed the wizards. If you don't have the dribbly candles, vile odours and eldritch glow then what's the point?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Not live yet! I'll link to m'twitch when we're live. Sooooooon.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright - this MIGHT be working.

Try here!

Tell me in chat if the video looks bad, and I'll sort something out!

OK Confirmed that it's acting up. Current theory: thunderstorm is causing lighting demons to interfere. Looking into appeasing lightning gods.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 5, 2014

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Bacter posted:

Alright - this MIGHT be working.

Try here!

Tell me in chat if the video looks bad, and I'll sort something out!

OK Confirmed that it's acting up. Current theory: thunderstorm is causing lighting demons to interfere. Looking into appeasing lightning gods.

So did this ever happen? Because I paid good money for two tickets and I'm fed up.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey, sorry for the delay. Work is a thing that I have, and lord does the workman come callin'.

THAT SAID

Right, so I've got the videos, and they stream reliably like... 1 in 5 times that I've tried? I can't really tell what the difference is, but I'm up for watchin' the things anytime with people. They might get stuttery midway through, but I guess that's a risk we'll have to take.

Anyway, up discworld is recorded, but in the meantime, why not an appetizer? And by that I mean we usually watch A+ grade Noir action, so it's time to see how low the bar can go, WITH

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 15, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That code at the end isn't binary. It's 7-cell LCD numbers (aka calculator/clock numbers, as seen in the art above the secretary) obfuscated by highlighting the cells to be removed. Read the negative space and 562396 is clear as day.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, see, I THOUGHT it was something like that, and totally would have said so, if I wasn't getting swarmed by crickets, and so paralyzed by terror.

Incidentally, from my one-time jaunt onto Second Life with powerwife, this place is almost exactly right. Actually, the more I reflect on it, the more eerily accurate this seems. Bizarre, completely disjointed areas, graphics of about that quality, dumb little puzzles, it's all there.

In the few hours we were there, we:

* Attended a line dance where your character did everything for you, so no real interaction was necessary

* Tried to fish, but the fishing spot had been taken over by an anorexic, be-fishnetted goth club where they played a murder game. We had to find xxmonkdeathxx or whatever to enter, and it cost money, so instead we just fished by the fishin' hole as the debauch raged on behind us

* Went to some of the better-rated stores, which alternated behind obsessively curated shops with, uh, pretty esoteric goods (a new lighting for your house, or plants that grow and turn into... other plants? I mean it was artistically designed), and massive obelisks stuffed with wrong-sized font talking about all the various clothing packs they had for sale. You had to fly to reach the top, and the place was populated by vendors and people moving at super-speed with insanity high platform shoes

* Attended a church service. We sat in a pew, our avatar swayed to the (live) music, and we listened to maybe 10 minutes of some guy from Colorado preach a sermon to the assembled, shockingly modest (for 2nd life) members, then teleported out.

* Saw a "calm, peaceful meditation" hub with floating rocks and waterfalls and such. It was also being co-opted into a hippie debauch, which just meant it wasn't anorexic platform shoe vampires, but dreadlocks and tie die. Everything else was identical, including, bizarrely, some kind of murder game. I guess it's a thing with the kids there?

And through it all, there was that odd sense of emptiness and disconnection that you get in Nightlong. It's a prophetic game, is I guess what I'm saying.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but your voice sounds different in the latest Nightlong video, Bacter. I actually thought you had a third guest for a minute and that it was them and Mzbundifund speaking. Does anyone else notice this?

Also, I thought that the carnival was a program that the bad guy that I don't really remember anything about other than that he exists made before departing, but he left an important thing there. And/or uses it as a prison for enemies. So you've been sent in to get the thing from inside it. I don't think it's actually a person's mind.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 17, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Nightlong is just completely unrealistic.

I mean, what have you got there in your little navigator, like fifty possible bookmark slots? Sixty? That's just morning news.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
When is the next Discworld Noir update coming? I remember playing this ages ago, and just rocketed the videos through like a shot. Nice work!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Guys, I never said I had it together, I mean I never said I'd be able to string four words together without some kind of breakdown or other, but I DID say I'd Let's Play This Game.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD (and it was already very, very good).

If people'd like, I could do a quick plot retrospective. Helpful, or unnecessary?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say go put a squeeze on Mooncalf, if nothing else he can tell us more about what they're worshipping and whether is happens to be fuzzy and toothy (Anu-anubis, the jackal-headed god of stuttering?). And yeah, some reminder of the plot would be helpful; if only to refresh us on the clues we've forgotten by now.

edit: I keep being amazed how a game that pretty much wants to show off every single significant quirk of Discworld manages to keep it consistent most of the time (well, Death of Rats was shoehorned in). It's one hell of a tour of Ankh-Morpork.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 23, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mooncalf sounds like he could provide us with some good leads and we don't have time for monkey business so lets cut straight to the chase.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

FoolyCharged posted:

Mooncalf sounds like he could provide us with some good leads and we don't have time for monkey business so lets cut straight to the chase.

Now, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply anything, but best not be saying such things around the Unseen Universities library. Their librarian is known to get a bit... 'touchy' on the subject.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I agree with the request for a synopsis, I am kinda lost over how many people want the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, death of rodents aside this has been a VERY natural progression through Ankh-Morpork. Resisting making Bimes and the Patrician major characters that you interact with was a great idea for th story.

Also: plot summary coming up!

• Locked thread