Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Sometimes people have two talents.
Sometimes, they have one.

And sometimes they are Whilce Portacio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

I also think that after spending all those years "picking the cotton" McFarlane doesn't want to be told that he should be beholden to anyone or anything as long as people are buying what he produces. I can understand it.

He was saying that kind of poo poo when he was doing Spider-Man, though, is the thing. Dude gives zero fucks and is entirely in it for the bucks.

Qwo posted:

Good artists are bad writers.

Jack Kirby, Frank Miller when he was in his prime, Steranko, Brandon Graham. Literally top of my head you are poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 31, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Metal Loaf posted:

As much as Liefeld gets slagged off I get the impression that he genuinely loves comics. I don't get the same impression from McFarlane.

I asked a guy who met both of them and he says that Liefeld is a pretty decent fellow while McFarlane is a complete shitlord.

I like how Mignola has panels devoted to the close-ups of sculptures and paintings within the scenes of his story. I didn't get them at first but they set the mood and atmosphere like a film.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So I've been thinking lately. Since SA's sort of declining (mods are all leaving, half the forums are a mess, etc.), are there any other decent comicbook discussion sites? Most of the ones out there are pretty low traffic, and SA has some good posters, especially here. I don't read much else but BSS and a few games threads these days, but the comicbook discussion is slightly above the average internet.

Maybe it's a good idea if the best of BSS is backed up and a replacement forum or something is considered.

I was considering setting up a comicbook site; I've been working on annotating some of my favorite series (mainly Udon's Street Fighter) and I was thinking why not go all the way and make a full on comicbook discussion site?

Note: not interested in drama or exploring why or why not people agree or disagree over the forums' state. I'm just asking for opinions on alternatives just in case.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mister Roboto posted:

So I've been thinking lately. Since SA's sort of declining (mods are all leaving, half the forums are a mess, etc.), are there any other decent comicbook discussion sites? Most of the ones out there are pretty low traffic, and SA has some good posters, especially here. I don't read much else but BSS and a few games threads these days, but the comicbook discussion is slightly above the average internet.

Maybe it's a good idea if the best of BSS is backed up and a replacement forum or something is considered.

I was considering setting up a comicbook site; I've been working on annotating some of my favorite series (mainly Udon's Street Fighter) and I was thinking why not go all the way and make a full on comicbook discussion site?

Note: not interested in drama or exploring why or why not people agree or disagree over the forums' state. I'm just asking for opinions on alternatives just in case.

I had thought BSS had been kept mostly drama free from things :(

If you're wondering where a lot (?) of comic book discussion has moved and where the majority of posters post outside of BSS is pretty much just Twitter as far as I'm aware.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Waterhaul posted:

I had thought BSS had been kept mostly drama free from things :(

If you're wondering where a lot (?) of comic book discussion has moved and where the majority of posters post outside of BSS is pretty much just Twitter as far as I'm aware.

Oh, it is drama free, I wasn't saying otherwise.

That's probably because of the low population; there's like, 40 regular posters? Still, that's a decent number, a small community can be made around that. That's why I'm asking if we should make a backup plan just in case.

But if everyone's moved to twitter, then maybe messageboards and discussion sites are just a thing of the 2000s.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Mister Roboto posted:

Oh, it is drama free, I wasn't saying otherwise.

That's probably because of the low population; there's like, 40 regular posters? Still, that's a decent number, a small community can be made around that. That's why I'm asking if we should make a backup plan just in case.

But if everyone's moved to twitter, then maybe messageboards and discussion sites are just a thing of the 2000s.

Honestly I don't think there are any other great messageboards out there anymore but maybe other people will disagree. BSS isn't going anywhere and while our community number increases and decreases at various points I think we have a healthy community of people who get on with each other and just like talking about comics. I'd hope other people feel the same with regards to that.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 31, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Honestly I don't think they are any other great messageboards out there anymore but maybe other people will disagree. BSS isn't going anywhere and while our community number increases and decreases at various points I think we have a healthy community of people who get on with each other and just like talking about comics. I'd hope other people feel the same with regards to that.

I've got to agree. Outside of whatever is going on in GBS, what's the cause of all this "sky is falling" nonsense?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

good artist

Howard Chaykin

Seriously?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

qntm posted:

Seriously?
American Flagg is really good.

Really, really good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soonmot posted:

I've got to agree. Outside of whatever is going on in GBS, what's the cause of all this "sky is falling" nonsense?

GBS has always been a loving mess, but the rest of the forums seem unchanged to me. Of course, I also never engage in any of the SA-specific stuff like FYAD or YOSPOS or whatever.

The idea of dumping BSS for some arbitrary "the forums are dying" reason seems ludicrous to me. This is easily my favourite part of the site.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 31, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

qntm posted:

Seriously?

Yes.

I could not find any good scans from his original Shadow miniseries, but that is some drat good comics art.

E: Have some more.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 31, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Action Tortoise posted:

I asked a guy who met both of them and he says that Liefeld is a pretty decent fellow while McFarlane is a complete shitlord.

Liefeld always struck me as a big kid who just happened to be in the right place at the right time to become insanely popular by giving the 90s kids the bodacious grimdark kickass comics they wanted and he honestly doesn't understand why so many people hate him.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Soonmot posted:

There's been a lot of changes going on with regards to the state of the forum and admin/moderation for the last few days so I can understand if people get worried or that but well BSS is still just BSS. If people ever have queries or anything I've always said they can post here or PM/e-mail if they don't want to talk on the forums, same with any suggestions they may have and that won't be changing. There are very long threads in QCS if people want to look through everything that's happened with different mods/admins stepping down or being removed.

qntm posted:

Seriously?

I think Chaykin is best treated like Claremont. They were both great at what they do but you don't want to read any of their stuff from the last few years. Any of Chaykin's superhero stuff anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

I think Chaykin is best treated like Claremont. They were both great at what they do but you don't want to read any of their stuff from the last few years. Any of Chaykin's superhero stuff anyway.

I still enjoy his art. It's got a chunky, square-jawed kind of thing that I find appealing for some reason. (Same for Frank Miller; the enormous hands are weird, but not weird enough to turn me off completely.)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

prefect posted:

I still enjoy his art. It's got a chunky, square-jawed kind of thing that I find appealing for some reason. (Same for Frank Miller; the enormous hands are weird, but not weird enough to turn me off completely.)

Yeah i don't mind it either though I know i'm well into the minority. Well I don't mind his non Marvel work. I also still like Miller's art too (though I amn't going to brave Holy Terror or that recent Catwoman cover.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

I like his art. I plan on getting that big Sin City trade coming out later this year and still think his Daredevil and most of his Batman art is amazing. I just think that he currently does not work as a superhero artist and is fitted more for stuff that has the same tone as Sin City. It is violent, but its done to the ridiculous extreme.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

There's been a lot of changes going on with regards to the state of the forum and admin/moderation for the last few days so I can understand if people get worried or that but well BSS is still just BSS. If people ever have queries or anything I've always said they can post here or PM/e-mail if they don't want to talk on the forums, same with any suggestions they may have and that won't be changing. There are very long threads in QCS if people want to look through everything that's happened with different mods/admins stepping down or being removed.

Okay, I read up on it a bit, and I see why those guys are upset, but I still think it's insane to start talking about moving to another forum because poo poo is going down in GBS/FYAD when some of us probably want nothing to do with those parts of SA in the first place.

Sorry, I'll stop talking about it, I just don't think we should freak out over other subforums' internet drama. I love BSS and I'd hate to see all that bullshit intrude on this place.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 31, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay, I read up on it a bit, and I see why those guys are upset, but I still think it's insane to start talking about moving to another forum because poo poo is going down in GBS/FYAD when some of us probably want nothing to do with those parts of SA in the first place.

Eh, I'll stop talking about it, I just don't think we should freak out over other subforums' internet drama.

Also to be honest where would we go? Have you ever been to the forums of comic sits like comic book resources?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Also to be honest where would we go? Have you ever been to the forums of comic sits like comic book resources?

I started out there, and I ain't goin' back. *flicks switchblade* I AIN'T GOIN' BACK, YA HEAR ME?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry, I'll stop talking about it, I just don't think we should freak out over other subforums' internet drama. I love BSS and I'd hate to see all that bullshit intrude on this place.

You don't need to apologise. It's okay to talk about if people want or are concerned about things.

You're right though in that none of it really effects BSS and people can just continue to post as they always do. Personally i'd like to see more threads in BSS and am currently working on a few bigger ones myself but other than that I think BSS is a great community of people who like talking about comics and that's not going to change regardless of what goes on in the rest of SA.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I keep meaning to post a Wonder Woman thread but I'm waiting on all my hardcovers to arrive. Apparently they're held up somewhere along the retail chain-link line.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

I once met a man who told me that his biggest inspiration as a comic artist was Rob Liefeld. I have no idea how I kept a straight face until he left.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There are worse inspirations to have as an artist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

You don't need to apologise. It's okay to talk about if people want or are concerned about things.

You're right though in that none of it really effects BSS and people can just continue to post as they always do. Personally i'd like to see more threads in BSS and am currently working on a few bigger ones myself but other than that I think BSS is a great community of people who like talking about comics and that's not going to change regardless of what goes on in the rest of SA.

I know I have said this before, but next week I will have a hellboy thread up. There is a lot of crazy poo poo going down and it has been 20 years since Seed of Destruction came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I sometimes post there, but only in the Marvel subforum. I went into the DC subforum once and it was a whole lot of "Forever Evil is better than Earth 2" or "Mark Waid is the worst thing ever to happen to comics" and so on.

There was another one I looked at but never registered with or posted on (it wasn't CBR; I can't really remember what the name of the site was) where this one dude was a really hardcore DC fanboy and slagged off Kevin Maguire for not being a good little company man and keeping his mouth shut about being sacked from JL 3000.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I sometimes post there, but only in the Marvel subforum. I went into the DC subforum once and it was a whole lot of "Forever Evil is better than Earth 2" or "Mark Waid is the worst thing ever to happen to comics" and so on.

Try the X-threads.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I tried going there to discuss X-Factor, because pretty much no one here read that at the time, and I'm never loving going back. Seriously there aren't any comics forums that are better and more informative than BSS, despite our faults. I would not be reading comics today if this forum wasn't here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What is this sky is falling SA stuff? So there's probably going to be a transition and change coming about. This is not necessarily a bad thing yet. Unless Lowtax decides he made this and he's going to end it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Somebody give me the quick and dirty. Last time I checked out GBS everyone seemed to be having a Pretty Good Time with the (fairly amazing) 9/11-Star Wars mashups.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

Somebody give me the quick and dirty. Last time I checked out GBS everyone seemed to be having a Pretty Good Time with the (fairly amazing) 9/11-Star Wars mashups.

GBS is a mess, and a lot of people are calling for a general forum revamp and a mod overhaul. People yelled at each other and a lot of them were banned, others walked away, mods included. It's not anything new, and it's not surprising.

The thing I find most baffling is the constant insistence that the forums are supposed to be this or that way, and the current way isn't working, so let's get rid of subforum X or Y. I'm not going to disparage anyone in FYAD or GBS, but I have like 9.000 posts on this forum and I have no clue who Wayne Gretzky or Ruddha are. Maybe I'm missing out, but given the way things are going, I don't wanna touch that poo poo. Internet drama is the worst.

I primarily post here, in Games, and in the Giant Bomb thread, the latter two widely considered to be hellholes, and these are still the best/most civil forums I've ever seen.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I have no clue who Wayne Gretzky or Ruddha are.

Cool

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Wasn't there a goon run proto-BSS around the time Identity Crisis came out? I remember GBS getting flooded with comic threads and that offsite forum failed to divert the threads enough so BSS was created.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanschel posted:

Wasn't there a goon run proto-BSS around the time Identity Crisis came out? I remember GBS getting flooded with comic threads and that offsite forum failed to divert the threads enough so BSS was created.

I have no memory of this. I went to work one night and when I got home 8 hours later BSS existed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sanschel posted:

I don't remember an offsite forum though BSS was created shortly before I started lurking SA. There was an IRC channel, maybe still is if people still use IRC?

There was the BSS FAQ for a short while.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am kind of glad BSS exists otherwise I probably wouldn't be reading comics today. Actually that might not be a good thing. My wallet hates you guys.

I still love all of you though. Even Rhyno.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't be like that, I specifically didn't mean to disparage anyone, nor tout that as some sort of stamp of pride. My point is that there's more to SA than what's going on in GBS/FYAD on any given day.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

No one cares, dude. Talking about a situation that had a lot to do with posters like Wayne and Ruddha and you don't know who any of them are. Like, thanks, but no one cares.

No one cares about anything

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't remember anything offsite besides the IRC room either. We just flooded GBS until the admins got fed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

No one cares, dude.

Then why the passive-aggressiveness? Maybe I said something dumb, but I'd rather not promote the exact thing I'm complaining about.

Edit: Never mind, I'm gonna drop it, this wasn't my intention.

• Locked thread