Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Wolverine's main series is bad and everyone should feel bad who has a hand in it.

I'm glad they're giving him a 6-8 month haitus killing him off soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I already asked Marvel if there was gonna be a real grave of Wolverine for me to dance on. They've deigned not reply.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

I already asked Marvel if there was gonna be a real grave of Wolverine for me to dance on. They've deigned not reply.

You might just have to enjoy seeing me eat a comic

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Pak's Storm doesn't costantly arrange monorail rendezvous, the series is a failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I haven't seen anyone mention how laughably terrible Origin II's ending is.

The series is about Wolverine being all savage in the wilderness. A group is hired to track him down, which includes Victor Creed and his scar-faced companion Clara, who is able to reason with Victor and keep him in check. Clara feels bad for Logan and catches feelings for him, which naturally makes Victor mad. The three of them end up on the run from Nathaniel Essex and his men, as Essex wants to experiment on Logan. Eventually, it's revealed that Clara is not Victor's girlfriend, but his sister. Victor secretly snitches on where they're hiding so that Essex can take Logan out of the equation. Instead, Logan kills a bunch of Essex's soldiers while accidentally stabbing Clara. Victor shows up and they decide to go gently caress up Essex out of revenge. Then Clara gets up once they're gone.

Logan claws up Essex and throws him out a window just after finding out that Victor snitched. Clara pops in to point out that she's alive and all the Creed children have healing factors. Logan snaps at Victor and drowns him in a vat of some potion Essex made that cancels out healing factors. Victor is dead and Clara bitches Logan out for being a monster.

Months later, Clara is confronted by someone she identifies as a complete sadist and tells him that Victor is dead. The man in question is a crazy-jacked and animal-like Sabretooth (compared to Victor, who was just a tall dude with fangs), who is all mad that Victor -- the victim of his annual birthday beatings -- died without his permission. Now he's going to transfer that tradition to the man who killed his little brother.

Yes, Origin II did the loving Landfill from Beerfest plot device. With a straight face!

Art was nice, at least.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Glad I didn't bother with the last issue.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention how laughably terrible Origin II's ending is.

-snip-

Yes, Origin II did the loving Landfill from Beerfest plot device. With a straight face!

Art was nice, at least.

Incorrect.

Through the entire mini, Creed is only referred to in-story as "Creed". This is stupid because nobody would call their drat brother by his last name only, but whatever, it's true. I just skimmed back through all 5 issues to make sure. There IS an exception: in the recap to book 3. Which you can blame on editorial not knowing/remembering that it's gonna be revealed in 5 that it was never Victor Creed at all but his little brother Saul Creed (like Clara says on the last page of 5, "Saul's dead"). This was fixed in the recap for 4.

So it was Sabretooth's little brother the entire time. Victor Creed was, I dunno, hanging out with the circus the whole time or whatever and never showed up til the end. Still not a great ending, and you probably can see the twist coming if you stop to ask why "Creed"s sister is calling him Creed the whole time, but it's not as dumb as what you thought.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ah, my bad. Still, I absolutely hated the over-the-top depiction of Victor compared to Saul, who looked pretty much like Tyler Mane Sabretooth with a knit cap.

I was wrong about the name thing, but in spirit it was the same idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You know, the whole Sabertooth/Wolverine thing was a lot more interesting when we didnt know the facts. Remember when we all thought Sabertooth was Wolverine's dad?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Sabretooth is a bad character with a bad design and is awful and boring except when riding a jetpack.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chinaman7000 posted:

Sabretooth is a bad character with a bad design and is awful and boring except when riding a jetpack.

And when he's walking in on Deadpool beating the poo poo out of Crossbones.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sabretooth really should have stayed an Iron Fist villain.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sabretooth's kinda okay when running The Hand

Admittedly, that's the only time i've seen him run The Hand.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sabertooth was only good in Age of Apocalypse/Exiles.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like Sabertooth is better the further away he gets from Wolverine and being caught in the perpetual loop of being a secondary character that progresses or regresses randomly.

Also is it just a thing that Wolverine stories have to be about healing factors and relatives now? I haven't read much of his solo work recently but that was a big part of Daken and all his back story right? Hell, isn't the current book about how he lost his healing factor?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Sabertooth was pretty great in that Mike Carey X-Men lineup. He works best as a wild card beast-on-a-leash, kind of like how Bullseye was with the Dark Avengers. As just a villain, his whole gimmick of nastiness has been outdone by a lot freakier characters.

Also, I'd read a Cain Marko/Victor Creed team-up book in the right hands, so I might be a strange fan to get an opinion from on this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

Sabertooth was pretty great in that Mike Carey X-Men lineup.
This is correct.

I also really liked that Wolverine and the X-Men issue with Bachalo on art where Beast fights him in space. As one does.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gavok posted:

And when he's walking in on Deadpool beating the poo poo out of Crossbones.

I remember seeing panels from that. What issue was it?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That twist sounds so horrible. I was really looking forward to seeing how "Creed" and Wolverine's relationship turned out by the end, but gently caress it, we have to have a twist in there and have Sabertooth just kind of randomly decide to start antagonizing Wolverine because he killed the dude Sabertooth normally antagonized.

It also bothers me that Clara turns on Wolverine by the end, because of course she does.

To add to the "Sabertooth as a good character" discussion, he's also awesome in Age of Apocolypse and Exiles, but he's practically a different character entirely there.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I have a HUGE problem with how they portray Cyclops's power in the issue that came out today. He uses it to propel himself around in space, which means it's pushing back on him when he's using it, which means he's basically headbutting everything he hits with his eye beams! Ahhh!!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How the eye beams work is one of the least consistent matters in comics.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

I have a HUGE problem with how they portray Cyclops's power in the issue that came out today. He uses it to propel himself around in space, which means it's pushing back on him when he's using it, which means he's basically headbutting everything he hits with his eye beams! Ahhh!!

Starring Sandra Bullock as Cyclops

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Gavok posted:

Ah, my bad. Still, I absolutely hated the over-the-top depiction of Victor compared to Saul, who looked pretty much like Tyler Mane Sabretooth with a knit cap.

I was wrong about the name thing, but in spirit it was the same idea.

I'd have forgiven that series a lot if the last page reveal had been that Clara was pregnant with the real Sabretooth (and Logan never figures it out), would have been a neat tie in with their original planned origin.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

One time he was falling and used the beams to slow his descent.

Whatever man, I thought it was cool back then!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's comic books. I'm not going to let physics ruin my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent Greg Rucka boook about space pirates.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Senor Candle posted:

It pushes him around in space, where there's absolutely zero resistance. Considering he barely knocked his head against the ship when he was firing full blast, it's clearly not much of a push.

Edit: What bugs me is that Warpath's cat-skunk-whatever girlfriend is cheating on Jimmy with Corsair.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 8, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

It pushes him around in space, where there's absolutely zero resistance. Considering he barely knocked his head against the ship when he was firing full blast, it's clearly not much of a push.

Edit: What bugs me is that Warpath's cat-skunk-whatever girlfriend is cheating on Jimmy with Corsair.

Uh, Hezibath (sp?) was Corsair's girlfriend for like 30 years. Long before she ever met Warpath. But of course, we're ignoring that Corsair died or that the San Francisco X-Men era ever happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uh. How did lil' Scott join the Xavier school two weeks ago?
Are we meant to believe all of All-New X-men and Uncanny take place in even less time?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh. How did lil' Scott join the Xavier school two weeks ago?
Are we meant to believe all of All-New X-men and Uncanny take place in even less time?

That is how long ago Battle of the Atom is, and they switched from the Jean Grey school to Xavier school.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That is how long ago Battle of the Atom is, and they switched from the Jean Grey school to Xavier school.

"BUT A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, I JOINED A SCHOOL FOR MUTANTS. A SCHOOL RUN BY A MAN NAMED CHARLES XAVIER."
Then talks about it being the first time he had friends, met Jean, yadda yadda.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 8, 2014

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I came here to talk about how great Cyclops was, how much fun it was to read and how touching and awkward Scott and Corsair's relationship is and how Rucka has pretty much nailed it, plus it was a whole bunch a fun and alla y'all are just complaining about eye-beam head buts and skunk girl fidelity and Jeegus priorities people this was a drat fine and drat fun X-book a++ would buy again.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah Cyclops was a grade A fun book and despite not caring about young X people in the present I am down for the Space Adventures of Errol Flynn trying to figure out how to raise his son.

And I like Scott getting to appreciate having his father back while still a kid, even for a little bit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah Cyclops was a grade A fun book and despite not caring about young X people in the present I am down for the Space Adventures of Errol Flynn trying to figure out how to raise his son.

And I like Scott getting to appreciate having his father back while still a kid, even for a little bit.

Agree 70000% Fun book, can't wait to see where they end up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm really glad the Cyclops book was good 'cause I love Cyclops and I don't want the haters to have more ammunition :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Magneto is a violent dick. The paperclip thing. yeesh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been reading the Cable and Hope adventures, but holy gently caress Bishop. I hate how he's a "Don't worry guys, all the horrible poo poo i'm doing has a really good reason, but i'm not going to tell you because that would make you try to stop me, but trust me when I say I need to kill this baby and most of the population of the planet" guy.

Hope and Cable as a father/daughter team is really great though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, nobody has issue with the 'couple of weeks' thing in Cyclops?

My mind is still boggling.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, nobody has issue with the 'couple of weeks' thing in Cyclops?

My mind is still boggling.

The original five X-Men had only been with Xavier, in the past, for five weeks before they were brought to the future.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

The original five X-Men had only been with Xavier, in the past, for five weeks before they were brought to the future.

But Scott is saying it's been a couple from his time joining the original school till the present in space.

I don't see how the line could be interpreted any different unless we really stretch how much time 'a couple' can refer to.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't see how the line could be interpreted any different unless we really stretch how much time 'a couple' can refer to.
"A couple of weeks" can mean more than two when used informally by a confused teenager.

Otherwise people would just say two.

• Locked thread