Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Consider that, in all the OT movies, we never see Luke move more than silhouette 0-1 sized objects at fairly close range. That does not, however, excuse the fact that a fully fueled Move is like Starkiller levels of silly bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think I wander in and post this every time a new supplement comes out...but man the art in Stay on Target is amazing. While I think I personally prefer roleplaying in the EotE side of things, I love me some pilot and ship art, which this book has tons of. Also, I think their fluff-writers are getting better and better; I'm having a great time just reading the text for Ace backgrounds and duties.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
So I think my group is done playing FF Star Wars. My contribution to the set was the threee Adversary Decks.

Since I am no longer going to need them, I figured I'd see if anyone in the thread wanted to pick them up -- $20 for all three, shipped to the Con US? They are $30 from Fantasy Flight with shipping.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Preview article for Lords of Nal Hutta is up. I'm interested to see what they do with the modular encounters in Hutt space, as I rather liked the ones from Suns of Fortune....but on the whole, I'm not really enthused for this particular book and am instead just biding my time for Fly Casual to come out.

That being said:

That's pretty sweet.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I have fond memories of Nar Shadaa from both Dark Forces and KOTOR 2, so I'm really looking forward to the Hutt Space book.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Nar Shadaa plus scumbag EotE style stories? gently caress yes that's gonna be great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Honestly, not writing an entire 300 page supplement just about Nar Shaddaa seems like a big mistake. It's the perfect setting for a city-based EotE campaign.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Honestly, not writing an entire 300 page supplement just about Nar Shaddaa seems like a big mistake. It's the perfect setting for a city-based EotE campaign.

That sounds incredible and now I'm disappointed we won't get it. I would buy that day one even though it would probably cost a ridiculous amount.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did one of the older RPGs perhaps have a Nar Shadaa focused supplement?

Also I just read the EotE beginner rules for the first time and drat. Its a bit crunchier than I normally prefer, but this system seems awesome. I was uncertain about it given what I'd heard about WHFRP3 ages ago but these "gimmick" dice are cool with the triumph/despair thing.

Another RPG on the pile of "Games I'd love to pkay some day".

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm tempted to run a real world WW2 game using this system, simply because I like the dice. Am I dumb?

More specifically, a Wolfenstein: The New Order game set in Nazi occupied America in the 1960s.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I would say it is pretty fitting to anything in the action genre as long as the focus lies on shooting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I'm tempted to run a real world WW2 game using this system, simply because I like the dice. Am I dumb?

More specifically, a Wolfenstein: The New Order game set in Nazi occupied America in the 1960s.

I think it would be great for a real world WW2 movie- or game-style game. So yeah, you are not dumb.
I would argue that WFRP3e might be even better, since you get fewer abilities for each character career exclusively (which would better emulate things enabled by tactics, training, or items) and also have a party "character sheet" that tracks the stress of the party and allows players to attach some of their own class upgrades so that the whole party can benefit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

See, this has me thinking the reverse. Stuff like "How could I adapt The Guns of Naverrone to Star Wars?" :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

See, this has me thinking the reverse. Stuff like "How could I adapt The Guns of Naverrone to Star Wars?" :v:

If you're not pilfering 60s/70s WW2 films for campaign ideas and scenes to shamelessly rip off, you're not playing AoR right.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you're not pilfering 60s/70s WW2 films for campaign ideas and scenes to shamelessly rip off, you're not playing AoR right.

That and Kurosawa films. Basically the entire Kurosawa catalogue is perfect for RPG appropriating.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The same way Battlestar Galactica did, only less dumb?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

susan posted:

That and Kurosawa films. Basically the entire Kurosawa catalogue is perfect for RPG appropriating.

This may have something to do with how much Star Wars rips off WW2 movies and Kurosawa, in this case.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You should be adapting Inglorious Bastards actually

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

You should be adapting Inglorious Bastards actually

I had pondered running a one off game on here based on The Great Escape/Von Ryan's Express, but you're escaping from an Imperial Prison.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I had pondered running a one off game on here based on The Great Escape/Von Ryan's Express, but you're escaping from an Imperial Prison.

What's the Luksankya up to when it's not buried under Imperial City on Coruscant?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Everblight posted:

What's the Luksankya up to when it's not buried under Imperial City on Coruscant?

Probably being built. And then promptly buried under Coruscant.

Question for Stay on Target owners:
How robust are the fleet/flight rules? Could I conceivably run a BSG game with it?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Madurai posted:

The same way Battlestar Galactica did, only less dumb?

Nah, all the weird poo poo BSG adds makes it even more Star Wars.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, all the weird poo poo BSG adds makes it even more Star Wars.

I really want Stormtroopers as cowboys, and a daggit too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Oh man

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=282&esem=1

Fuckin' love that artwork and the maps look excellent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So do they expect everyone who bought the beta rules to buy the hardback? I mean I didn't buy it but a $30 beta rule set? WTFLOL

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

So do they expect everyone who bought the beta rules to buy the hardback? I mean I didn't buy it but a $30 beta rule set? WTFLOL

Not everyone. Some people loving Love Star Wars.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I do too but seeing those paperbacks with the large BETA caution splattered everywhere was off putting.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't think they're expecting everybody to buy the betas, only the hardcore nerd playtesters who are willing to spend extra money to get early access and a chance to help playtest the game. So yeah, they expect most people who bought the beta to buy the hardback, but they're not really expecting everybody to buy the beta in the first place.

Now Begginers set -> Hardcover is kind of a jump in my eyes, but the beginners set is really cool.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think they're expecting everybody to buy the betas, only the hardcore nerd playtesters who are willing to spend extra money to get early access and a chance to help playtest the game. So yeah, they expect most people who bought the beta to buy the hardback, but they're not really expecting everybody to buy the beta in the first place.

Now Begginers set -> Hardcover is kind of a jump in my eyes, but the beginners set is really cool.

I think it's worth it to get at least two beginners sets, since you get the dice and an adventure and some character pregens and a couple nice maps and some tokens. It's all useful, even if you already have a campaign.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't see any reason to get more than one beginner set, if you want more dice, just get more dice. I don't need two of each pregen character. I don't think the characther tokens are valuable enough for me to want multitudes of them, especially when I have a box full of WotC Star Wars Miniatures.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't see any reason to get more than one beginner set, if you want more dice, just get more dice. I don't need two of each pregen character. I don't think the characther tokens are valuable enough for me to want multitudes of them, especially when I have a box full of WotC Star Wars Miniatures.

The pregen characters are different in the different games' beginner sets (which is what I was suggesting, sorry -- that I think it's worth getting two of the three EotE, AoR, and F&D beginner sets). If you already bought dice and have a pile of minis, yes, YMMV.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

He's saying get two different beginner's sets.

Though yeah, if you have a bunch of SW minis and the maps for that game the utility would be pretty limited.

e: beaten!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I see what you guys are saying, yeah, I may very well pick up the other two beginner sets (already have EotE).

But I also get everything super cheap from my friend that works at FFG. In fact he's just given me copies of each of the Beta books :humblebrag:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I bought the betas of AoR and F&D both to help playtest and to support FFG. I'm really sad now that I missed out on the EotE beta, since my shelf is now incomplete without it.

I have the EotE and AoR beginner boxes, and I fully plan on getting the F&D one as well; I bought the EotE one because I wasn't quite sold on the system, and AoR to get dice. They also include a blank character sheet which would be good for photocopying without stressing the spine of the hardbacks.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Part of the reason they charge for the beta is the Star Wars license. They can't just give it away. And the restrictions on PDFs interfere with that avenue for it too. It's a crappy situation but I see why it is how it is. I also won't pay for them and good news don't have to.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I really wish they'd release some of the supplemental stuff online, like the Rebellion Day prison break scenario.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I really wish they'd release some of the supplemental stuff online, like the Rebellion Day prison break scenario.

Most of the freebie stuff has made it online; the Rebellion Day mission is a notable omission.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

PM me.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I haven't gotten a chance to play the RPG yet, but I've talked to a few friends about it. I'm just too lazy and busy to DM, and nobody wants to do it.

The artwork in the books is pretty great, though.

I wonder if the space combat in Age of Rebellion is good enough to do a Rogue Squadron \ Wraith Squadron kind of game or if that would be a total mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play the RPG yet, but I've talked to a few friends about it. I'm just too lazy and busy to DM, and nobody wants to do it.

The artwork in the books is pretty great, though.

I wonder if the space combat in Age of Rebellion is good enough to do a Rogue Squadron \ Wraith Squadron kind of game or if that would be a total mess.

It would actually work OK if you locked the Squad Leader to a spot on the mat and had range bands radiating out from him so everyone (and enemies) could just calculate how many bands away they are and move in or out based on that. But combat is not supposed to be tactical and a space-combat heavy game would probably end up being way more lethal than you want. I mean, remember that only 3 ships came back out of two twelve-wing squadrons at the Battle of Yavin.