Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I guess the 12 Apostles could make for a good sentai team for main hero backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

Personally, I prefer laser cancer Jesus, but that's just me.

I was expecting The Binding of Isaac from that description. But that was... uh, something else.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 7, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Spider lady is horrifying, thanks for sharing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, the minotaur just kicking a little hole in the door for you to run through was some amazing if unintentional comedy.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Hey, who wants an update? I want an update. Update time is fun. Here's the update.

Episode 10 - Satyrs ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy ... Hosted

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't believe Kratos almost got chumped by a door.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I might be wrong about this, but from what I vaguely recall, the Greeks saw huge dicks as being a sign of being uncultured or barbaric. So, understandable why lazy, drunken goat-(Or apparently, horse-)men might have big penises to an ancient Greek. Also the fact that they're part horse.

And, I seem to remember that satyrs would pick the leader of their tribe or group by whomever had the largest dick.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah. Having a huge wang was like wearing a fedora is now. Just a big sign that says, "this guy is an rear end in a top hat." Priapus is the best god, though. Nothin' like havin' big dick shrines that people rub all up ons all day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Desfore posted:

I might be wrong about this, but from what I vaguely recall, the Greeks saw huge dicks as being a sign of being uncultured or barbaric. So, understandable why lazy, drunken goat-(Or apparently, horse-)men might have big penises to an ancient Greek. Also the fact that they're part horse.

And, I seem to remember that satyrs would pick the leader of their tribe or group by whomever had the largest dick.

Gives new meaning to this:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah. Having a huge wang was like wearing a fedora is now. Just a big sign that says, "this guy is an rear end in a top hat." Priapus is the best god, though. Nothin' like havin' big dick shrines that people rub all up ons all day.

Not just dick shrines, but also (:nws:) winged dick windchimes, also sprouting dicks of their own, like some crazed dick-hydra.

Aside from the previously aformentioned big dick associated with barbarism thing for the Greeks, it was also an obvious fertility symbol. Although for purely aesthetic purposes, it seems that the Greeks prefered proportionally smaller penises in their art, when depicting idealised men and gods.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm pretty sure that every culture across space and time has obsessed over dicks (along with the female equivalents). It's just that here and now we've convinced ourselves to avoid bringing them up in polite company.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hey Kalon you're gonna hate me but this bit at 3:34? Yeah that's not how you spell "disciple" :mmmhmm:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Hey Kalon you're gonna hate me but this bit at 3:34? Yeah that's not how you spell "disciple" :mmmhmm:

Too late. It's out. It's published. gently caress you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

Too late. It's out. It's published. gently caress you.

Oh I don't want you to do anything about it. I just want you to know.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Actually, that's exactly how he spells "disciple."

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So how many hours did it take to find that picture of a satyr balancing something on his dick? :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's interesting that Heave mentioned Sagittarius being originally a Satyr despite modern depictions being Centaurs but given that the former were originally horse-men and Centaurs are associated with archery, it's easy to see where the modern depiction came from.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Chimera-gui posted:

It's interesting that Heave mentioned Sagittarius being originally a Satyr despite modern depictions being Centaurs but given that the former were originally horse-men and Centaurs are associated with archery, it's easy to see where the modern depiction came from.

I've seen sources citing both. As is often the case with mythology it isn't entirely clear. According to one source it was just a normal guy, who was depicted with horse features in the constellation because he rode horses a bunch. Since my topic was satyrs I went with the satyr route. Also gently caress centaurs. The whole sagittarius thing was the view put out by Eratosthenes, better known as the guy who figured out the circumference of the earth, so the satyr theory has that going for it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Penises are indeed funny. :)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Tonight's episode brings you no new enemies, so we'll learn about one we've been running into since video 1.

Episode 11: Harpies ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy ... Hosted

Also, I've started a Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition LP as well, if you're interested.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You missed a red chest in that room with the Tetris blocks - you can climb on top of them and jump up to a ledge on the far side. I forget how many orbs you get, though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact, Harpies and Sirens were pretty similar description-wise before the latter became synonymous with Mermaids.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wait. Ares disguised himself as an old lady to tell Kratos not to kill his family, Kratos did it anyway and blamed Ares?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

Wait. Ares disguised himself as an old lady to tell Kratos not to kill his family, Kratos did it anyway and blamed Ares?

It's not quite that dumb. But it's pretty dumb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So...does Kratos ever accept the slightest shred of responsibility for any of his actions?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Well, it was either lead an army of darkness on a bloody campaign of senseless destruction or die a hero's death. Kratos' hand was forced.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Night10194 posted:

So...does Kratos ever accept the slightest shred of responsibility for any of his actions?

Well, he never realises it, but the dreams and nightmares are pretty much his conscience at work. But he's Kratos, so he blames the gods for that, too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Night10194 posted:

God of War: Never Learn Anything.

So, no.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Small, tiny update to tell you that the hosted version of the video is up for your downloading pleasure.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

In this game? No.

On camera? ...No.

At some point in the undefined future? It is implied...?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

How much personal responsibility can you have if a literal god of war straps a couple of doom blades onto your arms in exchange for your life? The only redemption there is suicide, but Kratos' post-chaining conduct was at the behest of Ares who pretty much owned Kratos at that point. I guess Kratos could have enjoyed his new job less, but hey, doing what you love for a living is something we all strive for.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Are we supposed to like Kratos? I know he's supposed to be a grimdark anti-hero but he has no charisma, he's dumb as hell and his character design was taken from the doodles of a 13 year old boy's maths workbook.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I finally updated the interesting posts section. This thread slowed down around page 11. I guess it was inevitable, but it still made me a bit sad.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pwnstar posted:

Are we supposed to like Kratos? I know he's supposed to be a grimdark anti-hero but he has no charisma, he's dumb as hell and his character design was taken from the doodles of a 13 year old boy's maths workbook.

Probably not? I mean he's the protagonist of these games, but he's not the kind of guy you root for. He's a blood thirsty psychopath out for revenge. He's The Punisher without any sense of morality or empathy. It's not even really a lesser of two evils situation. Ares is a petty dickhead, but that's kind of what the Greek Gods are known for. He's waging war against Athens, but what else is the god of war going to do? Cross stitch a tasteful plaque to hang above his mantle?

It's just a shithead vs shithead battle. At least Kratos is fun to watch.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, aren't most Greek "heroes" shitheads anyway?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, aren't most Greek "heroes" shitheads anyway?

Honestly I always assumed that was sorta the point of God of War; this is what a Greek Hero actually was. A murderous gently caress who did whatever he wanted until his Hubris caught the attention of the Gods and they brought him low.

Turns out people though that was loving awesome so we got a whole series of him murdering all the things without much irony or awareness. e: I should note I only know GoWII and III by reputation so maybe they are more aware than they seem on the outside.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe all of the surviving Greek myths we have were from their "dark, gritty reboot" phase. It would be like having your only exposure to Batman being the Growly McArngryface version from the recent films.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CmdrKing posted:

Turns out people though that was loving awesome so we got a whole series of him murdering all the things without much irony or awareness. e: I should note I only know GoWII and III by reputation so maybe they are more aware than they seem on the outside.

Multiple characters in 3 on several occasions shout at Kratos to consider the damage his whiny revenge spree has done so I think it'd be fair to say there's at least some self-awareness there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pvt.Scott posted:

Maybe all of the surviving Greek myths we have were from their "dark, gritty reboot" phase. It would be like having your only exposure to Batman being the Growly McArngryface version from the recent films.

That's... actually a damned good point.
I hope theres some paper out there that supports this.

And as for the self-awareness there is quite a bit of it.
It's not very apparent of it since Kratos displays none of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Kratos is a Spartiate. From everything we know about them, they didn't get too hung up on the whole murderous rampage stuff as long as the guys they were killing weren't also Spartans. Honestly, his wife would probably be proud of him.

• Locked thread