Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

hurggg what am I doing stop loading.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Pavlov posted:

For anyone who seems intimidated, the crafting system is actually really simple. Here's an example of a common crafting process:

1. Chop down a tree for firewood.
2. Produce Distilled Water by boiling contaminated water with your firewood (using your water distillation skill).
3. Go out and mine some Calibrite and Anthracite from Calibrite and Sarnium deposits respectively.
4. Combine your Calibrite, Anthriacite, and Distilled water into Polyacrylonitrile using your Mineral-Metal Synthesis skill, this will be your polymer.
5. Next go find a Hudson Fir tree (make sure it's a Hudson Fir) to chop down and heat its wood with the Distilled Water you made earlier to get some Hudson Moss.
6. Then you need a Textile Fiber which can be more Hudson Moss but if you can't find any more Hutson Firs you can use Acrylic Fibers made by:

6a. Heating some Cree'it wood with Distilled Water to make Acetic Acid.
6b. Mine some Chromite Clusters from a Sarnium deposit and mix it with your Acetic Acid and Distilled Water to make Chromium Acetate.
6c. Mix the Chromium Acetate with more Acetic Acid and Polyacrylonitrile to make Acrilic Fibers.

7. Anyway next pick some Kosha plants and mix it with more Distilled Water to get Sulfuric Acid.
8. Mine some Baryte Clusters from a Pyrohemalite deposit and mix it with your Sulfuric Acid and Distilled Water to make Hydrogen Peroxide (using Mineral Acidification).

Finally mix your Hudson Moss, Textile Fiber, Polyacrylonitrile, and Hydrogen Peroxide to make a Composite Rope that you can use to hang yourself.

I thought this was a joke but then I looked it up and well

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

it reminds me of project gorgon, but with more sci-fi and less weird banter npcs.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

-cursor hovers over platinum package- no no remember archage -buys silver-

Same,

Bought and downloaded. Will try this crazy fuckery of a sperg game when I get off work.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

It's weird and crazy. I was shooting some wildlife when I found an unattended speederbike, stole it and flew it off to lands unknown until I crashed it into a tree.

Sorry guy.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

killstealing posted:

I thought this was a joke but then I looked it up and well

That's basically what's making me not even want to install this game. I'll only go as far as chopping and hauling wood for medieval castles. :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm going to do what I do IRL and spend all my time synthesizing one chemical that is used in one part of a fifty step process

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Somehow this game never even managed to make a blip on my radar. Perhaps because my faith in MMO's managing to keep my attention for longer than the initial month has pretty much faded.

So yesterday my regular group of friends I play with that are totally into Sandbox (Space Engineers, Archeage, Wurm, Minecraft, done them all) games picked this up.

I did play SWG when it was all fresh and new, and have a couple of years of EVE under my belt, so I think I'm made of the right stuff to handle this type of game. However by just looking at some streams I must say I'm a bit worried about the combat system (especially the animations). Does it feel better when playing that when just watching vids?

Also I read that making potions and stuff is all very hard work, is there no way to "heal" a partymember or yourself for free? (besides some resource like mana off course).

Lastly, is melee a viable option or is it pretty much pewpew all the way?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I havent done any medic stuff so far but i thinks its pretty much swg, you get a poo poo skill heal which costs some mana or whatever, but to do a decent healyou need stims which you can craft, or let someone else do all the hard work and buy them off the market

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

They keep overhauling the game and melee used to be completely useless. It was supposed to change but that was when I was in the alpha and early beta. I'm not going to reinstall until it's go full balls. This game is worth it just for making a character with the jankiest of chins

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Are there any goons still playing this with any regularity?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Inimicul posted:

No. Everybody is waiting for them to launch the game so we're not wasting effort on characters that are going to be wiped anyway.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Inimicul posted:

This game seems to be designed for large groups of people who support each other's crafting bullshit. Test the game and see what you think of it, but don't get comfortable yet.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Do I understand it correctly that the next and only wipe to come will be at launch, and depending on your pre-order level (silver/gold/plat) you get X amount of days of Head Start?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Evernoob posted:

Do I understand it correctly that the next and only wipe to come will be at launch, and depending on your pre-order level (silver/gold/plat) you get X amount of days of Head Start?

Correct, if there isn't some massive overhaul in data structure. Release by 2016.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Alright, that doesn't sound too bad then to get myself into this at some point during the year. (Not right now though... having too much fun killing Dino's and Dodo's)

Hopping in after the summer to get my bearings and a nice grasp of the opportunities to seize at launch. I just hope they optimise the animations and combat because they seem to fall behind bigtime compared to the whole crafting/advancement this game offers.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Chiming in as another guy who's waiting for the wipe.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Anticheese posted:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Yeah if you're a sperging retard like myself then we will have figured out how to grind out a bunch of space bucks so we can build a goon fort by the time silver and bronze players join in.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have not yet purchased, and my experience with Early Access has learned me I usually have something happen IRL those exact few days.
With popular launches (which this one will probably not be to the masses) server instability is also usually a problem.

So I have not yet made up my mind if I will pledge a large amount just for those few extra headstart days.
(off course there is also a chance I'll just take the week off)

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Umm you're not going to miss anything with a few header days. With 3-6 goons the city can start up. So it wil probably be me, Drinkfist, Dryb, Anti cheese and whoever else had put some money down from what I remember in the thread and you can just come in when it's free and put up your tent/cabin in the walls and go shoot dudes

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Like I've said before if you have an interest and aren't sure wait. If you want in get it now test it out and don't get heavily invested

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Yeah I wouldn't pay more than the 15$ I did. It's not that kind of relationship.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

They made a patch thing you can read.

https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9778

Things to note:

UI updates and graphics
The rest is tons of poo poo about where they put lasoo warrior or something

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I have like $100 in this, but I don't know if I'll be able to be one of the hardcore launch people helping with resources since I have to work. However, I will be playing the poo poo out of this. Pre-CU Jedi on Ahazi so I'm pretty excited.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'm down for helping to build a day-1 goonfort. If you get a bullet pointed list of poo poo you want written up, I can probably help with a new OP down the point too or some other stuff. :shrug:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I actually backed this game during Kickstarter, and forgot about it because the early alpha was even more atrocious than I predicted. Hopefully it has improved.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I had a lot of fun playing the rough alpha stuff and if it continues in that direction which it seems to be doing nicely I'll be happy when it gets to a more final state.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

I actually backed this game during Kickstarter, and forgot about it because the early alpha was even more atrocious than I predicted. Hopefully it has improved.

It has improved on everything you saw in the Kickstarter demonstration and the alpha. I'd imagine if you backed it, you liked the concept.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

The game grew and changed a lot from the two separate beta instances I played it. I'll try to find out what exactly is needed to make a goon town or whatever. I'm sure it's probably more than just credits and if it's retarded amount of resources well like I don't know just don't kill yourself trying to make a stockpile of cement

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Packages are 25% off until June 22nd, includes bump up pledges. I just hit Platinum.

New build too
https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/266-15-5-1-build-notes

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 12, 2015

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Anticheese posted:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I impulse bought it while it was still on sale. Bring on the wipes!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Crap I missed that sale apparently and was kind of holding out for it. How much was it? 50%?

I played shorty at a friend's house a while ago, and while I'm sure the game has a huge potential I feel the controls and combat gameplay and graphics felt a little akward.
Is any big progress being made by the developers with weekly patches or something? Or did development kind of halt right now?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Development seems to be going on at a pretty good clip, and apparently they're not averse to changing the combat since melee used to be a lot worse, but I've not played enough to share any experiences on its development pace.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Development seems to be going on at a pretty good clip, and apparently they're not averse to changing the combat since melee used to be a lot worse, but I've not played enough to share any experiences on its development pace.

not glacial but they work on something that doesn't work before adding something else. So it seems slow when they fix something like turkey butts being worth too many credits and being able to combine into a majority of chemical recipes

Moakley
Mar 19, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Crap I missed that sale apparently and was kind of holding out for it. How much was it? 50%?

I played shorty at a friend's house a while ago, and while I'm sure the game has a huge potential I feel the controls and combat gameplay and graphics felt a little akward.
Is any big progress being made by the developers with weekly patches or something? Or did development kind of halt right now?

The Steam sale was only about 33%. It was at 25% a couple days later when I got it after that sale stopped.

The game does seem kinda buggy and clunky right now. I only barely messed with the crafting and combat. I died a few times because I didn't know what I was doing. They have mini surveys after some missions so this is a good chance to influence the games design if that's what you're into.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

Even better: what if it's so bad it goes out the other end into weird Manos Hands of Fate territory?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So what are you guys planning on doing? Hardcore full loot or carebear servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Hardcore loot. Move in packs. Ruin somene's day. :black101:

• Locked thread