Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu posted:

Dear thread, I am rendering an animation for you.

Here is a one frame preview while it takes forever to finish:

I am excite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i put a curve on the shininess but the curve was bad. it was meant to go between rough and smooth but it only blips into very shiny briefly :cry:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwS43PAtACo

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

how did you do the colours? retroactively change the colours on those??

i like it. tell me what you did it in.. and how you rendered it..

and then tell me why you didnt make it into a gif

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

so good it hurts

does your software animate the drawing for you?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!
i wish. drew/painted it all in many layers in photoshop, then brought them into After Effects. from there it was quick and easy, just animate a feathered mask for each layer. i don't doubt that someone's made a script to do it automatically, but with this being my first time i wanted to do it myself.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

yospos BIoTHC

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I simulated that in max, rendered in mental ray. That said this is really straight forward and you should be able to get the same results out of pretty much anything.

For setting up the colors I just baked out the whole sim, then reassigned colors based on how they landed. Like this:

And i didn't make it a gif because massive gifs are an affront to god. That's what videos are for.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:prepop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu posted:

I simulated that in max, rendered in mental ray. That said this is really straight forward and you should be able to get the same results out of pretty much anything.

For setting up the colors I just baked out the whole sim, then reassigned colors based on how they landed. Like this:

sort of assuming thats howd you do it. wanna replicate but in free software

quote:

And i didn't make it a gif because massive gifs are an affront to god. That's what videos are for.

massive gifs are the way of the future. gfycat

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i know basically nothing about 3d stuff but why do those take so long to render. i would have thought a shiny pyramid would be trivial to compute these days? or is it just because your computer is some decade old pile of poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
old school ray tracing isn't slow at all. it works on an entirely predictable model based on lots of assumptions about how matte surfaces shjould be shaded depending on angles to lights etc

the poo poo im doing is slow because its well, it calculates things "properly", there are no tricks or cheats. it bounces rays around from both the camera and the lights and then you have to consider for exampler which way does a ray bounce when it hits a matte surface? well it bounces any way, so to make it look good you have to sample that happening dozens or thousands of times to resolve all the potential bounces into a final result

like all of physics it relies on probabilities and when you have lots of potential outcomes lots of samples need to be made to come to your statistical average or whatever concept is relevant

and so im using area lights so rays have to be shot from all points on it, bouncing all sorts of ways to come to a decent result. add in volumes and scattering and it adds to the amount of potential rays. people are doing this on the GPU its inherently parallelable but the renderer im using the GPU implemenation is sad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ahh i see. thx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most decent final renders are at least 1500 samples per pixel, times how many pixels (i dont bother more than 500 except on my epic ones)

1920x1080 is about 2 million pixels so we're talking a 3 billion sets (rays are bounced over 10 maybe 20 times) of vector math per image. i guess thats why its so slow

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

(i dont bother more than 500 except on my epic ones)
theyre all epic though?? :confused:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aha thanks for the confidence but not quite "epic"

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

echinopsis posted:

eh didnt turn out that cool

and soi much noise

thats really cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i am wholly uncreative.

suck my fuckin dick and then tell me how creative you need to be to fit that mother fucker in your mouth.... geniuses have tried and havent the full girth.. hwat do you have t offer>?????

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

echo i wanted to show you that i like what you do

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i started blender again after a year and nothing is in the same place or works, the only tutorial I found is by a literal child on youtube fuccck :(

e its starting to make sense again

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 16, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

i started blender again after a year and nothing is in the same place or works, the only tutorial I found is by a literal child on youtube fuccck :(

e its starting to make sense again

the 3d cookie tutorials have some solid presenters. just watching a guy work and making copious use of T and N keys and the space bar to bring up a command manually if I can't remember

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mido posted:

the 3d cookie tutorials have some solid presenters. just watching a guy work and making copious use of T and N keys and the space bar to bring up a command manually if I can't remember

yeah i'm even subscribed to them but their videos don't show up on my feed. i kinda almost achieved what I was trying to do and updated by blender notes that I actually take in a notebook.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mido posted:

echo i wanted to show you that i like what you do

:worship:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hey echhi

http://webglstudio.org/

https://vimeo.com/135628810

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:o

ill look into it when I get som time cheers

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

crap nerd posted:

hey if you want to gently caress about with that dynamic world thing i was making i uploaded a html5 build here

i turned down the resolution and turned of the weather sim so hopefully it'll run smooth on p much whatever lovely computer you have, eventually i'll start making the spherical sim i was talking about but i've been taking a break since starting back to full time employment

i made the ground get a big brown boner

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

inspired by faxlore

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

NICE

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ur so gonna burn in hell echi

edit: i chuckled

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

inspired by faxlore

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thanks, that's a better view

now make that one wiggle too, peon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
youre' welcome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

now make that one wiggle too, peon

:negative:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Q: how easy is it to get into Unity without programmer skills? can you cobble stuff together click-drag Lego style with flow charts etc or do you actually need to write a code?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Q: how easy is it to get into Unity without programmer skills? can you cobble stuff together click-drag Lego style with flow charts etc or do you actually need to write a code?

that is what he does

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
youre thinking of unreal engine 4

unity requires legit typing in of code

ue4 is drag and drop, its quite easy in a sense until you realise that unlike even say 3d modelling where you can make sphere and move camera and hit render, game engines require a lot more basic poo poo laid down for anything to happen at all

although if someone had a free day and watched the official youtubes first they'd get a decent hang of it quite quickly. something I should have done. ive hosed around with many softwares over the yeears and been able to pick it up by myself until i tried ue4. nothing stumped me as much. because I never realised how many things needed to be in palce to make simple things work. once yuoure theyre though its quite good

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
unity probably has a kismet-like addon tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"probably"??

the only reaons unity would be preferable is as if youre targetting scrub tier equipment. its not like its "easier" or "simpler"

also the ue4 bluieprints are built from the ground up integrated with the engine, not some addon

• Locked thread