Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trolling the chat thread is haram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not singling any side of this out but it's kind of hard to feel bad for anyone when pretty much every "disagreement" boils down

0: Is [comic] any good?
1: YEP!
2: NOPE!
1: Actually, YEP. Because gently caress you.
2: Nope! gently caress YOU.
1: Typical 2, being wrong. Eat a dick.

Like there has been a sentence and a half of actual discussion of the pros and cons of 52 (or The Question or Rorschach) in the past two pages, mostly sort of hypothetical, but a whole lot of dogpiling on Lurdiak and other "bad posters" for not sufficiently taking down unassailable positions like "yeah that rules, shut up"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I don't read much DC and I picked up 52 on a sale last year and I liked it pretty well. For someone who only kind of in passing follows the line, it was an interesting look at some characters I've never read like Steel and the Question. Also, I love Black Adam, well I love Black Adam's name and design, and his parts of the story were for me the best parts. It's not the most accessible thing for a Marvel or indie reader and I'm not 100% sure exactly where it fits in continuity. It's got a pretty deep bench so I had to check a lot of wikipedia character bios, especially for evil scientist island.

It was a pretty ambitious idea and they pulled it off well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Burden of proof is on the wrong.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

Well, I don't read much DC and I picked up 52 on a sale last year and I liked it pretty well. For someone who only kind of in passing follows the line, it was an interesting look at some characters I've never read like Steel and the Question. Also, I love Black Adam, well I love Black Adam's name and design, and his parts of the story were for me the best parts. It's not the most accessible thing for a Marvel or indie reader and I'm not 100% sure exactly where it fits in continuity. It's got a pretty deep bench so I had to check a lot of wikipedia character bios, especially for evil scientist island.

It was a pretty ambitious idea and they pulled it off well.

I was picking it up in single issues with some love for Morrisson and no current knowledge of DC, and 52 was just a slog. It felt like the stories assumed some affection for the characters or situation, which I didn't have, and the way the book only gave a few pages to any story really killed any change for developing an interest. Plus the art was just sad and generic, and I couldn't tell if the DC history pages at the back were serious or comedy.

I got the TPBs cheap and made it through more recently, and it was an ok story. A weekly comic made by a group of great writers is an ambitious project, but I prefer Spider-Man's take on it where each writer gets to tell an arc, then the next writer comes in.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am trying not to be a dick but it's hard

Story of my life.

Aphrodite posted:

Burden of proof is on the wrong.

Everyone is wrong all the time. Problem solved.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Picking up the floppies did make it seem very disjointed and it works better in one reading. The individual storylines ranged from okay to excellent and my personal faves were the island of mad scientists and black Adam.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

52 is what you expect from superhero comics when you've heard about them, but not read them. It has poo poo-tons of colorful characters with barely-described backstories, having goofy, violent adventures peppered with mysteries to crack. Events have consequences, and when a character changes because of their experiences, you can expect the change to endure. And there are 52 issues of it, so it's all coming at you from a firehose.

I like 52, and liked it even more when I was reading it for the first time, as it was coming out. At the time, I would have been jazzed as heck if DC has cancelled 12-16 books, in favor of running 52-style "story spine" series for the DCU and major sublines (Batman, Superman, JLA?). I talked with nerd friends about how :krad: that would be. Then came Countdown, and more recently, things like Batman Eternal. Now, I get that the weekly serial format is a whole lot easier to get wrong than to get right, and 52's secret sauce was the writing team it had going bananas all over its plotlines.

52 is a treasure and if you want pure superhero pumped directly into your retinas, you should give it a read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorting comics to prep them to sell is BORING and TEDIOUS.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Well, I don't read much DC and I picked up 52 on a sale last year and I liked it pretty well. For someone who only kind of in passing follows the line, it was an interesting look at some characters I've never read like Steel and the Question.

Steel was my least favorite part. The whole plot relies on everyone being incredible stupid and the only good part was the dream sequence by Morrisson and the "Rain of the Supermen" cover.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alaois posted:

the best part of X-Men 3 was when Cyclops died and NOBODY in the movie gave a poo poo, it was amazing

The funniest part is they killed him off because Marsden was working on Singer's Superman movie. He told Fox that he would have plenty of time to film both but they were all "You want to be in Superman? Fine, CYCLOPS IS DEAD."

Fox also wanted the movie to come out before Superman Returns, no matter what. Which is why Matthew Vaughn quit and they brought it Brett Ratner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Sorting comics to prep them to sell is BORING and TEDIOUS.

I once spent an entire week-end sorting computer files, and no one gave me money at the end of it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trolling the chat thread is haram.

I want to state for the record I am not trolling, Cyclops is actually dumb and bad

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I once spent an entire week-end sorting computer files, and no one gave me money at the end of it.

I've already made a couple hundred bucks which is what motivated me to prep more.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I want to state for the record I am not trolling, Cyclops is actually dumb and bad

Please don't do this Travis343.

You and I had something beautiful together.

You're breaking my heart Travis.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Travis343 posted:

I'm so sorry but you are incredibly wrong and, it turns out, Cyclops is good and cool and right about the issues.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only X-Man better than Cyclops is Gambit.

And also X-Man. Nate is so much cooler than Cable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-Man is terrible in every conceivable way and I can't help but love him, without irony, because of it. It's some serious Mr. Burns diseases poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It is Storm who is the coolest, and best X-Character.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

http://webm.land/media/Yk0q.webm

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 16, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The only major X-Persons I think I really dislike are the grizzled angry badass/soldier ones like Cable and Wolverine (Logan).

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Havok is the superior Summers brother who never gets the attention he deserves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if he was cool before (he wasn't), there is no recovering from this:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

The only major X-Persons I think I really dislike are the grizzled angry badass/soldier ones like Cable and Wolverine (Logan).

I really like classic 80s Wolverine before he was functionally immortal and in every single comic forever.

What a douchebag. gently caress this guy, seriously

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
As Redditors would say, ELI5: Why is Alex a douchebag for that scene?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dario the Wop posted:

Replace the word "mutant" with Muslim in that scene.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Travis343 posted:

I shall meet you at the monorail!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

It's a longer speech.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It was made worse at the time with Remender telling critics of the speech that they should drown themselves in hobo piss.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And made better by Bendis having Kitty Pryde call him out on it in All New X-Men.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Skwirl posted:

Replace the word "mutant" with Muslim in that scene.

Or, ya know, "negro."

Martin Luther King Day is Monday.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Travis343 posted:

Nah, Cyclops rules, you drool.

Squizzle posted:

Please don't do this Travis343.

You and I had something beautiful together.

You're breaking my heart Travis.
No he's right, Cyclops sucks.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm so sorry but you are incredibly wrong and, it turns out, Cyclops is good and cool and right about the issues.
Stop looking a fool, Cyclops is horrible.

WickedHate posted:

The only X-Man better than Cyclops is Gambit.

And also X-Man. Nate is so much cooler than Cable.
No, those people are all dumb.

Travis343 posted:

Nope, she isn't!

Good talk guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As we later see in Avengers, Cap's primary motivation is to bring about the end of the Earth and prevent anyone from stopping that with his fists.

Ergo we can determine that Cyclops was indeed right simply because he opposed Cap.

(And also the way they solved it ended up being pretty much his original plan.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dario the Wop posted:

That's the tail end of an incredibly tone-deaf speech in which Havok shreds his identity as a minority and declares the very concept of being in that minority to be offensive (the echo between "m-word" and "n-word" is awfully blatant). Comics Alliance has a good, detailed takedown of the whole thing. It kicked up an immediate fuss for the obvious reason that mutants are the Marvel stand-in for literally every oppressed minority and Marvel'd just published a comic saying "just act white, gosh".

The backlash carried over into the actual comics once other writers saw it. Bendis put his retort into the mouth of Kitty Pryde and later said that the incident Kitty relates there is based on something similar that happened to him (Bendis is Jewish).

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Thank you. Obviously it's clear how in general trying to draw real-world parallels between mutants and RL minorities could be problematic, but I wasn't sure why those particular panels were drawing such anger. I needed the entire speech, as I missed out on the initial furor. The CA article showed the entire speech, and the problem with, for lack of better words, identity politics. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my density, in those initial panels I saw a ham-fisted attempt at "we're all people," which I didn't see as worth quite all the vitriol I saw from my fellow goons.

So yeah, as Travis said, Havok is a douchebag. Further proof that Cyclops is the best Summers brother. :awesomelon:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Completely removed from the "mutants as metaphor" thing, Havok's making a pretty reasonable point. Mutants are only one gene off from humans, they can interbreed just fine. There's no real reason to call mutants a separate species.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Nah, Cyclops rules, you drool.

:yeah:

Edge & Christian posted:

Good talk guys.

:yeah:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

Thank you. Obviously it's clear how in general trying to draw real-world parallels between mutants and RL minorities could be problematic, but I wasn't sure why those particular panels were drawing such anger. I needed the entire speech, as I missed out on the initial furor. The CA article showed the entire speech, and the problem with, for lack of better words, identity politics. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my density, in those initial panels I saw a ham-fisted attempt at "we're all people," which I didn't see as worth quite all the vitriol I saw from my fellow goons.

So yeah, as Travis said, Havok is a douchebag. Further proof that Cyclops is the best Summers brother. :awesomelon:

I didn't want to make a giant image post. I figured enough people would get it from the last part.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't want to make a giant image post. I figured enough people would get it from the last part.
I repeat: I'm sorry for being dense. I didn't get it. I don't want to offend anyone. :saddowns:

boom boom boom posted:

Completely removed from the "mutants as metaphor" thing, Havok's making a pretty reasonable point. Mutants are only one gene off from humans, they can interbreed just fine. There's no real reason to call mutants a separate species.
But the "mutants as metaphor" thing has been a Marvel talking point forever. Taken at face value it's been a big selling point for the X-books, and a way for many readers to identify with the characters. It's when you start digging into it and actually looking at some of the stories that it becomes an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

boom boom boom posted:

Jews can breed with gentiles just fine, so there's no reason to call them Jews.

• Locked thread