Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

SurgicalOntologist posted:

The former, I suppose. "Possible to explain in physical terms."

Edit: Specifically defending myself against the claim that "intelligence is a non-physical concept" and shouldn't be mixed with physical terms.

Have you read Fodor's Special Sciences? I'm curious if you think his critique applies to your position here.

(If you don't have academic library access: Link.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not a physicist so I can't really comment on what it adds to physics specifically. But from the perspective of psychology, it gives us an understanding of intelligence that applies not only to humans, not only to animals, even not only to living things. Specifically, it i gives us a non-algorithmic view of intelligence.

In any case you seem to be implying that either this is contradictory to existing understandings of thermodynamics (it's not) or that science is over and we've already figured out all there is to know about this stuff. It's very much continuous with existing perspectives on thermodynamics, after all the main physicist working on the project literally wrote the textbook on modern thermodynamics (Kondepudi).

Great, if it has value to psychology.

I'm just saying that from a thermodynamic perspective, there is nothing surprising about the emergence of complex life and intelligence. It's crystal clear and obvious why it appears.

quote:

Well, that's the goal of the project, to understand "intelligence" in physical terms. Scare quotes because it's not necessarily colloquial intelligence.

What you call "intelligence" is already understood in physical terms and scientists have been experimenting with it for quite some time. Off the top of my head, there are these batshit self-assembly things that some scientist have created with DNA. They have build self-walking devices that can react to sensor inputs like light or pH gradients and have a size in the nanometer range.

It's all just thermodynamics and a little bit of reaction kinetics.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
brb programming a robutt that runs on AA batteries, can scan for and collect AA batteries to keep running longer, and can cross zones of low AA battery density to reach larger concentrations of AA batteries than the one it is currently sitting on. i will have discovered the secret of life, while the reanimated corpse of vitalism shambles out of the dustbin of scientific history

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Juffo-Wup posted:

Have you read Fodor's Special Sciences? I'm curious if you think his critique applies to your position here.

(If you don't have academic library access: Link.)
I don't think antireductionism means we can't have cross-talk between the sciences. We can not necessarily reduce to physical types but instead reduce to common principles that are scale invariant. I may be missing your point though.

waitwhatno posted:

I'm just saying that from a thermodynamic perspective, there is nothing surprising about the emergence of complex life and intelligence. It's crystal clear and obvious why it appears.
Well you yourself said that the purpose of intelligent life is to keep the planet in equilibrium. I think the more consistent view is that intelligent life exists to keep the planet out of equilibrium. That was the impetus for my post (it wasn't to claim that here's a new thing that no one's ever thought about before). Is your reply simply "Yeah, duh"? In which case, fine, we agree.

waitwhatno posted:

What you call "intelligence" is already understood in physical terms and scientists have been experimenting with it for quite some time. Off the top of my head, there are these batshit self-assembly things that some scientist have created with DNA. They have build self-walking devices that can react to sensor inputs like light or pH gradients and have a size in the nanometer range.
And do you tell them that their work is trivial because we already understand all there is to know about life? For all I know we're talking about the same people. They do the same kind of thing.

blowfish posted:

brb programming a robutt that runs on AA batteries, can scan for and collect AA batteries to keep running longer, and can cross zones of low AA battery density to reach larger concentrations of AA batteries than the one it is currently sitting on. i will have discovered the secret of life, while the reanimated corpse of vitalism shambles out of the dustbin of scientific history
Hello loan of intelligence.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well you yourself said that the purpose of intelligent life is to keep the planet in equilibrium.

that was my impression of minasole on :catdrugs:, wondering about the wonders of the universe. probably something like 90% of this thread is shitposting.

D&D has changed, maaaan. when have you been here the last time?

and minasole is not really a research chemicals addict with brain damage, he is just trolling

quote:

And do you tell them that their work is trivial because we already understand all there is to know about life? For all I know we're talking about the same people. They do the same kind of thing.

nope, i think it's a neat way to see it and hope it can have some use in things like AI research. but i don't think that it has any explanatory value in terms of physics or chemistry.

the path to life and intelligent life is pretty clear from a physics/chemistry perspective and i don't think that labeling it with fancy terms adds anything to the whole mess and its understanding. but i also don't have a reputable research institute in my name and grants out of my rear end, so who gives a poo poo about my opinion? i certainly don't :shittydog:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

D&D has changed, maaaan. when have you been here the last time?

:eng99:
I tend not to venture into the science threads (what few of them there are).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

i just wanna remind everyone about the op, please stay on topic

minasole posted:

is life only evolved and selected chemical reactions?

e: IMO it is, but i don't fully understand the question. so, it may not be.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yes, to be fair, I was turning it into a teleological statement to support my narrative. If you want to be all positivist about it, of course the teleology is not really testable. But the facts of the matter are relatively straightforward. A dissipative structure is a system which maintains itself away from thermodynamic equilibrium by exchanging matter/energy with its environment. I.e., by dissipating energy. In doing so, it is an example of local organization (negentropy), but the system repays this negentropy debt by destroying negentropy in its environment (i.e., dissipating energy) at a faster rate than would have occurred at thermodynamic equilibrium.

This revolutionized the fields of self-organizing systems, non-equilibrium thermodynamics, and complex systems back in the 70s and Prigogine won a Nobel Prize in Physics.

The next step, that I alluded to in my post, is the application of dissipative structure theory to living systems. This effort, ironically, is being lead by a group of ecological psychologists, the field that earned Blowfish's ire earlier in the thread, in collaboration with several leading thermodynamicists and chemists.

Living things are unarguably dissipative structures. They maintain their non-equilibrium stability by seeking out and dissipating negentropy. What the Physical Intelligence project (blame DARPA for the lovely name) is trying to nail down is what distinguishes, thermodynamically speaking, a biological dissipative system from a non-living one, say a hurricane. Here's how I understand it (these are my colleagues, though I'm not working on the project myself): a hurricane is a slave to the local potential. When it runs out of negentropy to dissipate, it itself dissipates. A living system (to be exact, a system possessing what they call "physical intelligence"), on the other hand, is capable of responding to low-energy fields (e.g. light) that carry information about the location of high-energy deposits (e.g. food). Unlike a hurricane, an intelligent system can climb out of a local potential well in search of a deeper well elsewhere. This is the role of perception-action. And thus, perception-action increases the rate of entropy production and is perhaps an inevitable consequence of thermodynamics. This is a perspective on biology that, in my opinion, goes deeper than evolution but does not contradict it.

I find a teleological explanation easier to convey, but of course some are going to object to that kind of framing.

If you go back and read the abstract I quoted, hopefully it will make more sense now. That article from 1991 was the first to lay out this idea (although it had been hinted at by Rosen, Schrodinger, and others), but it's really taken off in the last 5 years or so, when they got a DARPA grant (although it was short-lived, they now have an NSF INSPIRE grant). The PI group is working at it from several angles, including bottom-up attempts to build non-biological systems that meet this definition of intelligence.

Edit: I felt like I could use these theories to give a new perspective to the debate you all were having about equilibrium when I arrived, but was having some trouble figuring out anyone's position. So instead I clarified a post that was being mocked but actually was unintentionally getting at something interesting. waitwhatno was actually pretty close to being right, but living things don't help keep the system in equilibrium, they help keep it stable away from equilibrium. This process can be seen as a kind of global "evolution" (scare quotes because it's not by natural selection).

You're blowing my mind, dawg, love it.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

I don't think antireductionism means we can't have cross-talk between the sciences. We can not necessarily reduce to physical types but instead reduce to common principles that are scale invariant. I may be missing your point though.

Yes, that was the point. I was trying to pin down where you stood on the gradient from strict independence, through interdisciplinarity, to strict reduction. I fall somewhere in the middle, and it sounds like you do too. Unfortunately a lot of people who like to talk about the potential contributions of physics to other fields have a very strong reductionism in mind, and I guess that's a pet cause of mine.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Juffo-Wup posted:

Yes, that was the point. I was trying to pin down where you stood on the gradient from strict independence, through interdisciplinarity, to strict reduction. I fall somewhere in the middle, and it sounds like you do too. Unfortunately a lot of people who like to talk about the potential contributions of physics to other fields have a very strong reductionism in mind, and I guess that's a pet cause of mine.

Yeah, I'm very much an antireductionist, "systems science" type but your post made me realize that the whole non-equilibrium thermodynamics thing has an air of reductionism. Maybe it is, in a weird way, being reductionist about emergence. Hmm...

All Else Failed posted:

You're blowing my mind, dawg, love it.

Thanks!

---

Re-reading my post after the quote, I did kind of trade the teleology for essentialism in the way I explained it. Oops. And if I made appeals to authority, it's because the usual reaction is to assume I'm some kind of Dr. Bronner type or something.

waitwhatno, I'm genuinely curious, if there's any literature you can point me to about the thermodynamic perspective on perception?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Juffo-Wup posted:

I don't see why that's a problem.

The fact that systems with many components tend to be hard to understand from the bottom up tells us that interacting parts of systems do so in complicated ways, not that understanding them from the bottom up would be inherently wrong.

Unless you believe that physical laws -> magic -> organisms:okpos:, the whole reductionism vs. holism/independent fields/... argument is bullshit. Reductionism as an approach assumes we are already smart enough to arrive at a bottom-up understanding while going top-down assumes we don't (or may never) have the prerequisite knowledge or intelligence.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

I don't see why that's a problem.

The fact that systems with many components tend to be hard to understand from the bottom up tells us that interacting parts of systems do so in complicated ways, not that understanding them from the bottom up would be inherently wrong.

Unless you believe that physical laws -> magic -> organisms:okpos:, the whole reductionism vs. holism/independent fields/... argument is bullshit. Reductionism as an approach assumes we are already smart enough to arrive at a bottom-up understanding while going top-down assumes we don't (or may never) have the prerequisite knowledge or intelligence.

I take it you didn't read the paper I linked? Because that is not in fact the argument.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

waitwhatno, I'm genuinely curious, if there's any literature you can point me to about the thermodynamic perspective on perception?

sorry, physics is not really my field and i don't think i have ever read anything on that specific subject.

what exactly are you interested in? are you talking about the mechanics of a molecular sensors or more about sensors in a broader, evolutionary context?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

sorry, physics is not really my field and i don't think i have ever read anything on that specific subject.

what exactly are you interested in? are you talking about the mechanics of a molecular sensors or more about sensors in a broader, evolutionary context?

The latter. Honestly I'm surprised this is at all an unclear request given our conversation yesterday. Your response to my narrative (about how the development of perceptual systems was the inevitable next step of non-equilibrium thermodynamics) was pretty much "Duh, stop wasting my brain space with stuff we already know" :smuggo:, so I figured the least I could do is see what I was missing from the literature...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The latter. Honestly I'm surprised this is at all an unclear request given our conversation yesterday. Your response to my narrative (about how the development of perceptual systems was the inevitable next step of non-equilibrium thermodynamics) was pretty much "Duh, stop wasting my brain space with stuff we already know" :smuggo:, so I figured the least I could do is see what I was missing from the literature...
naah, i'm just smug on principle, at all times. :smuggo:

ok lets try this, lets do some drunk napkin philosophin':

once you have a population of self-replicating and mutating chemical systems that can change into a huge amount of possible configuration states, entropy dictates that all of the possible states will be populated over time, right? now, some of these possible states are configurations that are capable of perception-action and once some of these states are populated, they will act as transition states and open up the new and enormous state-space of modern complex life. this state-space is much, much larger than the one of primitive, simple life.

i think that there is nothing special about the first perception-action capable state. once you have all the prerequisites in place, this type of state will be populated sooner or later and from then on, state entropy will lead to complex lifeforms completely displacing all non-complex life.

the best analogy that i can think of right now is a polypeptide. polypeptides can fold into an enormous amount of possible configurations, with some of these configurations acting as transition states to important functional enzymes. now, if you leave an infinite amount of these peptides out, these transition states will be populated sooner or later and lead to the formation of functional enzymes. imagine that this functional enzyme was our commons ancestor and the transitional state was the very first perception-action capable state.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

entropy dictates that all of the possible states will be populated over time, right?

Uh-oh, firstly: it isn't entropy that dictates this.
But much more importantly: it takes a really really long time to go through all possible states, even for extremely simple systems e.g. : https://books.google.be/books?id=GJ...urrence&f=false

The more complex your system, the more state's you'll have to move through.

A good primer on nonequilibrium stat mech is http://www.math.ens.fr/~bodineau/GT_2012/kac-ring.pdf

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

Uh-oh, firstly: it isn't entropy that dictates this.
nah, man. you gonna have to come up with something better than that. state entropy is minimized when all chemical systems/chemicals in the ensemble are in a single state and it is maximized when the probability to encounter each state is exactly the same. THAT much i can remember from school. (this is all talking about the microcanonical ensemble, obviously)

quote:

But much more importantly: it takes a really really long time to go through all possible states, even for extremely simple systems e.g. : https://books.google.be/books?id=GJ...urrence&f=false

The more complex your system, the more state's you'll have to move through.

A good primer on nonequilibrium stat mech is http://www.math.ens.fr/~bodineau/GT_2012/kac-ring.pdf

well, the first perception-action state got populated, or otherwise we would not be here. do you really disagree here?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

nah, man. you gonna have to come up with something better than that. state entropy is minimized when all chemical systems/chemicals in the ensemble are in a single state and it is maximized when the probability to encounter each state is exactly the same. THAT much i can remember from school. (this is all talking about the microcanonical ensemble, obviously)

I came up with something better: I linked you to an excellent primer on nonequilibrium stat mech which gives a good explanation of what things like entropy are as far as we can understand them. (Entropy is very poorly understood in some non-equilibrium situations but in the toy model in the link it's perfectly understood.) Obvioulsy I can't go through that here because it'd take about 20 pages but if parts of the text are unclear, I'd be happy to help.

waitwhatno posted:

well, the first perception-action state got populated, or otherwise we would not be here. do you really disagree here?
That's of course true, I'm just disagreeing with your explanation of why it got populated. Higher complexity will make it less likely for specific states to get poplated when there are no other influences so that's actually detrimental.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

I came up with something better: I linked you to an excellent primer on nonequilibrium stat mech which gives a good explanation of what things like entropy are as far as we can understand them. (Entropy is very poorly understood in some non-equilibrium situations but in the toy model in the link it's perfectly understood.) Obvioulsy I can't go through that here because it'd take about 20 pages but if parts of the text are unclear, I'd be happy to help.
yeah, sorry, but i'm not gonna read a 30p paper right now. maybe later. what exactly is your point? all i'm saying is that a microcanonical ensemble with all particles in the same state will move to a system-state with all particles spread out over all possible states and that this is due to entropy. where do you disagree?

if you are trying to say that the transition probability between two states in a real system is not always the same, than i totally agree. but that doesn't really change the argument. while the more complex states and the states with a higher gibbs energy are less likely to be populated, this doesn't matter if you assume an idealized system with infinite time and particles.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 26, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

yeah, sorry, but i'm not gonna read a 30p paper right now. maybe later. what exactly is your point? all i'm saying is that a microcanonical ensemble with all particles in the same state will move to a system-state with all particles spread out over all possible states and that this is due to entropy. where do you disagree?

if you are trying to say that the transition probability between two states in a real system is not always the same, than i totally agree. but that doesn't really change the argument. while the more complex states and the states with a higher gibbs energy are less likely to be populated, this doesn't matter if you assume an idealized system with infinite time and particles.

My problem is that this:

waitwhatno posted:

a microcanonical ensemble with all particles in the same state will move to a system-state with all particles spread out over all possible states and that this is due to entropy.

Is wrong in reality. You say infinite time, where that statement could be true but it's not true at any timescale relevant for the real world. In the card-shuffling example I linked:

It takes an absurd number of times the lifetime of the universe. And that's for a system with only 52 elements. Compare that to even the simplest living organism.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

My problem is that this:

Is wrong in reality. You say infinite time, where that statement could be true but it's not true at any timescale relevant for the real world. In the card-shuffling example I linked:

It takes an absurd number of times the lifetime of the universe. And that's for a system with only 52 elements. Compare that to even the simplest living organism.

aaaaaah, now i get what you are saying and i totally and absolutely agree with you here. some bio-chemical processes have an insanely low reaction rate and it is obvious that something more complicated is at play here. the actual processes that allows for these reactions to happen can be extremely sophisticated, from a statistical mechanics point of view. i totally agree. (on an unrelated note, i remember reading a paper of someone doing qm simulations of protein folding processes and publishing it, so it's not even clear whether biochemistry is a purely classical process yet)

yeah, obviously most life processes are non-equilibrium processes, which only reach equilibrium under idealized conditions. gonna read your paper when i have some time.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

naah, i'm just smug on principle, at all times. :smuggo:

ok lets try this, lets do some drunk napkin philosophin':

once you have a population of self-replicating and mutating chemical systems that can change into a huge amount of possible configuration states, entropy dictates that all of the possible states will be populated over time, right? now, some of these possible states are configurations that are capable of perception-action and once some of these states are populated, they will act as transition states and open up the new and enormous state-space of modern complex life. this state-space is much, much larger than the one of primitive, simple life.

i think that there is nothing special about the first perception-action capable state. once you have all the prerequisites in place, this type of state will be populated sooner or later and from then on, state entropy will lead to complex lifeforms completely displacing all non-complex life.

the best analogy that i can think of right now is a polypeptide. polypeptides can fold into an enormous amount of possible configurations, with some of these configurations acting as transition states to important functional enzymes. now, if you leave an infinite amount of these peptides out, these transition states will be populated sooner or later and lead to the formation of functional enzymes. imagine that this functional enzyme was our commons ancestor and the transitional state was the very first perception-action capable state.

So where does dissipative structure theory come into play?

In any case, my understanding is that life does not necessarily have a larger state space than non-life. The most general characteristic of life is entropy reduction, no? (locally, obviously) What is important is not the opening up of new states but the increase in the rate of entropy production. In short, your description is in terms of equilibrium thermodynamics, but that is an incomplete picture. Self-organization is driven by non-equilibrium thermodynamics. I could easily be missing a connection between what you're saying and dissipative systems, though.

Edit: equilibrium vs. non-equilibrium is much more important than simplifying assumptions or looking at a system under idealized conditions.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 26, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm digging the comparison of storms of one kind of 'dumb' dissipation structures compared to plants or animals forming in aqueous media and eventually working their way onto land. Different time and spatial scales - but some of the same basic materials and forces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5lCLJ0tE8

Another interesting youtube - we must be responsible for our dreams.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

aaaaaah, now i get what you are saying and i totally and absolutely agree with you here. some bio-chemical processes have an insanely low reaction rate and it is obvious that something more complicated is at play here. the actual processes that allows for these reactions to happen can be extremely sophisticated, from a statistical mechanics point of view. i totally agree. (on an unrelated note, i remember reading a paper of someone doing qm simulations of protein folding processes and publishing it, so it's not even clear whether biochemistry is a purely classical process yet)

yeah, obviously most life processes are non-equilibrium processes, which only reach equilibrium under idealized conditions. gonna read your paper when i have some time.

For sure reaction rate is a part of it, but even with an insanely fast process, you can't go through all possible states in a reasonable time.

To take the going through all states of a deck of cards again: In the text I link they take 1 second for shuffling and dealing a deck. But, let's say we take the shortest time we can control as the time we take to shuffle and deal: 10^-17 seconds. Then even at that rate, it takes 10^28 times the lifetime of the universe to go through all possible configurations of a deck of cards. And a deck of cards has 52 elements compared to a whole bunch for even the simplest photoreceptor. So yes, you need something more complicated.

EDIT: Oh, and al lot of non-equilibrium is still a big mystery, even to experts who've been doing this for all their lives. It's for example not even clear if all non-equilibrium systems ever go to an equilibrium. For a living thing to become an equilibrium system means that it's now a dead thing.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 27, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The most general characteristic of life is entropy reduction, no? (locally, obviously)

that's an a priori statement and it doesn't really have much to do with physics, since there is no concept of life in physics.

quote:

In short, your description is in terms of equilibrium thermodynamics, but that is an incomplete picture. Self-organization is driven by non-equilibrium thermodynamics. I could easily be missing a connection between what you're saying and dissipative systems, though.

Edit: equilibrium vs. non-equilibrium is much more important than simplifying assumptions or looking at a system under idealized conditions.

non-equilibrium thermodynamics, transition state theory, etc. explain how life can emerge under realistic conditions and in a reasonable timeframe. i was concern with showing that complex life follows from state entropy. (which is apparently not the case, according to the belgian. gotta read the paper.)

The Belgian posted:

For sure reaction rate is a part of it, but even with an insanely fast process, you can't go through all possible states in a reasonable time.

To take the going through all states of a deck of cards again: In the text I link they take 1 second for shuffling and dealing a deck. But, let's say we take the shortest time we can control as the time we take to shuffle and deal: 10^-17 seconds. Then even at that rate, it takes 10^28 times the lifetime of the universe to go through all possible configurations of a deck of cards. And a deck of cards has 52 elements compared to a whole bunch for even the simplest photoreceptor. So yes, you need something more complicated.

EDIT: Oh, and al lot of non-equilibrium is still a big mystery, even to experts who've been doing this for all their lives. It's for example not even clear if all non-equilibrium systems ever go to an equilibrium. For a living thing to become an equilibrium system means that it's now a dead thing.

i'm not sure what your point is here exactly, it has been long established that nature uses an huge amount of tricks to make all the necessary biochemistry occur at reasonable timeframes. with the right chaperone you can probably get through that deck of cards in no time ...

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

i'm not sure what your point is here exactly, it has been long established that nature uses an huge amount of tricks to make all the necessary biochemistry occur at reasonable timeframes. with the right chaperone you can probably get through that deck of cards in no time ...
No, even with something like that, you can't get through all the states of a deck of cards in a reasonable time. As I said, 10^-17 sec is the fastest 'stuff can be done', and much faster than any molecular thing and it still takes 10^28 lifetimes of the universe to go through all states. Of course, if you don't want to cycle through all states but have something specific in mind, like say sort the deck according to suite, you can do that very quickly by yourself or using a computer or metaphorically using a chaperone molecule. But that's in a sense going beind the very basic stat mech 'cycle through all states'.

EDIT: The point is 'be careful with entropy!'

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 27, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

No, even with something like that, you can't get through all the states of a deck of cards in a reasonable time. As I said, 10^-17 sec is the fastest 'stuff can be done', and much faster than any molecular thing and it still takes 10^28 lifetimes of the universe to go through all states. Of course, if you don't want to cycle through all states but have something specific in mind, like say sort the deck according to suite, you can do that very quickly by yourself or using a computer or metaphorically using a chaperone molecule. But that's in a sense going beind the very basic stat mech 'cycle through all states'.

EDIT: The point is 'be careful with entropy!'

the chaperone example was meant metaphorically :confused:

i'm not sure why you are so hung up on your card example or why it's interesting. IRC, there are something like 10e30 bacteria lifeforms on earth, so give each one a tiny, itzy-bitzy card deck and let them draw permutations. i bet this speeds up the whole thing to only a couple of universe lifetimes. problem solved!

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

the chaperone example was meant metaphorically :confused:

i'm not sure why you are so hung up on your card example or why it's interesting. IRC, there are something like 10e30 bacteria lifeforms on earth, so give each one a tiny, itzy-bitzy card deck and let them draw permutations. i bet this speeds up the whole thing to only a couple of universe lifetimes. problem solved!

Yes, I know the chaperone was meant methaporically, I just said it explicity to avoid confusion. (Causing confusion in doing so, of course.)

Yes, with all the bacteria working on it, you can go through all the states of a single deck of cards in maybe few universe lifetimes. But I was using the deck of cards as a simplest statistical systems. It's intersting ebcause it's fairly easy to think of the possible configurations of a deck of cards as a kind of warm-up. A single cell has an incredibly much larger number of configurations than a deck of cards, so even with all the cells doing it, you can't go through all the configurations of a single cell in a vaguely reasonable time.

EDIT: The Kac ring text I linked to is a kind of conceptual warm-up too, but we can say much more exact things about these ideal systems than a real-world non-equilibrium system.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 27, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So it seems to me that you're saying that not all of the states are gone through, and that somehow specific ones appear to be strongly preferred.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

So it seems to me that you're saying that not all of the states are gone through, and that somehow specific ones appear to be strongly preferred.

Yes, it can't jsut be all the states get propegated equally as was initially proposed. But why are some of the states preferred? Part of it would be by drawing the macro/micro state distinction and noting that 'perceptor' is a macro state to some extent which corresponds to a nulber of micro states. But clearly that way you still only cover a very small part of the state space, so why the preference?

EDIT: Having a perceptor is clearly useful once you have it, but why would there be a drive towards it before you have it?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 27, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

Yes, it can't jsut be all the states get propegated equally as was initially proposed. But why are some of the states preferred? Part of it would be by drawing the macro/micro state distinction and noting that 'perceptor' is a macro state to some extent which corresponds to a nulber of micro states. But clearly that way you still only cover a very small part of the state space, so why the preference?

EDIT: Having a perceptor is clearly useful once you have it, but why would there be a drive towards it before you have it?

I think you have completely misunderstood the point, that I was trying to make. There is no "preference". For example, take a rubber band aka "the entropic spring". A fully stretched, ideal rubber band has only a single possible configuration, while a relaxed rubber band has an enormous amount of possible configurations. So, as soon as you stop stretching it, it will quickly go to one of the relaxed states by itself. But this is not due to "preferring" to move there, it's just state entropy in process and the relaxing is a result of that.

It's somewhat analogous with living organism states. As a start, lets say you have a polypeptide polymer with k^N possible peptide arrangements, where N is the length of the polymer and k is the amount of different peptide types available. Each time you increase the length N (make it more complex), the amount of possible arrangements(states) explodes. Almost all possible states are with large N (complex polymers), while small N (simple polymers)do not really contributing much to the overall sum of all possible state. So, now transfer this idea to a real living organism. Like with the polymer, almost all possible states are with complex life forms and simple life forms do not really contributing much to the overall sum of all possible state. But unlike with a polymer, you can't make the living organism arbitrarily complex because there are bottlenecks between state spaces. For example, without perception-action, you are limited in complexity simply because of energetic concerns. You just can't keep getting more complex. Only once the perception-action state is finally populated, you can go through the bottleneck and move into the larger state space of perception-action capable organisms from this populated state.

Soooo ... a rubber band system moves randomly into all possible states, without concerns or preferences and only assumes a relaxed state due to state entropy. Live "mutates" into all possible(and feasible) states, without concerns or preferences and only reaches important bottleneck transition states due to state entropy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Belgian posted:

Some states are preferred because they assist in self-replication. Such states are propagated through time by the replication process itself. There is a drive toward perception because it is, by definition, the only way to correlate action with the current environmental context. A self-replicator - even something as simple as an RNA molecule - which randomly acquired a useful perception-action mechanism would be at a tremendous advantage over randomly acting self-replicators and quickly dominate, even if the perception was only weakly correlated with the full state of the environment and the action thus only barely appropriate.

Perception is at the very core of life, right beside self-replication. The information received through perception is what narrows the state space by restricting possible actions. That's what perception does, on a mechanical level; allows or disallows certain internal states based on interaction with the external state.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The point I was trying to make is that there is a deeper reason for perception beyond its evolutionary advantage. That is, there may be a selection principle rooted in thermodynamics rather than self-replication. Perception increases the ability of a system to sustain its state away from equilibrium by dissipating negentropy in the environment (specifically, distant negentropy deposits). In doing so, yes, the system survives and is more likely to reproduce, but more fundamentally the rate of entropy production increases. Combine this with a hypothetical extremal principle in thermodynamics (controversial, I know, but there are proposals from multiple camps), perhaps that the rate of entropy production is maximized, and now you have a physical selection principle which I take to be more fundamental than the biological selection principle (selective replication with mutation).

This could potentially answer the question of why there is a drive toward perception before it exists. Self-organization doesn't merely happen by accident. Granted, there is an important role of fluctuations, but there is an undeniable drive toward specific organization. Rayleigh-Benard fluid doesn't try out random configurations until it discovers one that helps transfer the heat. The order is spontaneous. Instability leads to symmetry breaking (this is the random part) and convection rolls form directly from the laminar flow. This is perhaps driven by a maximum entropy production principle: the specific configuration of the convection cells maximizes the dissipation of heat through the fluid. Depending on the boundary conditions, these may be hexagonal, square, or other predictable patterns. Similarly, perhaps perception doesn't (/didn't) happen by accident, but was somehow "selected for", even before selective replication comes into play.

Obviously I'm being imprecise with my language and making it sound like magic. But the story's incomplete so it's bound to come across that way. The way I see it, the examples we have of self-organization that are uncontroversial and widely accepted already seem like magic so we should keep an open mind and not be surprised by the possibility that self-organization and dissipative structures may take us one step further than we previously supposed.

Those of you who didn't check out the article I originally linked, you really should; after the discussion in the last few posts its relevance should be clear: PDF. It speaks to nearly everything that's come up in the last few pages: different perspectives on thermodynamics, the limits of natural selection, incommensurability of biology and physics, end-directedness, etc.

waitwhatno posted:

non-equilibrium thermodynamics, transition state theory, etc. explain how life can emerge under realistic conditions and in a reasonable timeframe. i was concern with showing that complex life follows from state entropy. (which is apparently not the case, according to the belgian. gotta read the paper.)

Non-equilbrium thermodynamics gives us reasons for self-organization. Transition state theory does not. The fact that you keep conflating these, and brushing off dissipative structures. tells me that you've made little effort to understand the point I'm making.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

I think you have completely misunderstood the point, that I was trying to make. There is no "preference". For example, take a rubber band aka "the entropic spring". A fully stretched, ideal rubber band has only a single possible configuration, while a relaxed rubber band has an enormous amount of possible configurations. So, as soon as you stop stretching it, it will quickly go to one of the relaxed states by itself. But this is not due to "preferring" to move there, it's just state entropy in process and the relaxing is a result of that.

Soooo ... a rubber band system moves randomly into all possible states, without concerns or preferences and only assumes a relaxed state due to state entropy. Live "mutates" into all possible(and feasible) states, without concerns or preferences and only reaches important bottleneck transition states due to state entropy.
The rubber band does not move into all possible micro states. If it did that, you would see it be relaxed for a while, suddenly fully strech for a brief instance, then relax again,... You'd have the Poincaré recurrence from the text I linked. The rubber band will only move through a very small number of all possible micro states and yes, it does so whitout preference. The reason why the rubber band relaxes is that practically all the micro states belong to the relaxed macro state and only a few to a stretched macro state (only one for maximally stretched). The path through micro state space then with practical certainty lead the rubber band to the relaxed macro state. The same isn't true for perceptors. If you have some amino acids or whatever, only a few of their macro states will be 'perceptor'. The vast majority will be 'biological goop' and there'll be about as many 'sugar->cyanide converter' as 'perceptor', so you really need more to egt the drive to perceptor.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Some states are preferred because they assist in self-replication. Such states are propagated through time by the replication process itself. There is a drive toward perception because it is, by definition, the only way to correlate action with the current environmental context. A self-replicator - even something as simple as an RNA molecule - which randomly acquired a useful perception-action mechanism would be at a tremendous advantage over randomly acting self-replicators and quickly dominate, even if the perception was only weakly correlated with the full state of the environment and the action thus only barely appropriate.

Perception is at the very core of life, right beside self-replication. The information received through perception is what narrows the state space by restricting possible actions. That's what perception does, on a mechanical level; allows or disallows certain internal states based on interaction with the external state.

As I said in the edit, there's an advantage once you have a perceptor but there's not before you do. You can't just get the first perceptor by cycling through the state space as that would take absurdly long times as I've given several examples of.

Edited again: actually, after reading this again instead of skimming it when just woke up I realizy this is actually all pretty crazy and I totally misread i the first time. Oops!

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 27, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Obviously I'm being imprecise with my language and making it sound like magic. But the story's incomplete so it's bound to come across that way. The way I see it, the examples we have of self-organization that are uncontroversial and widely accepted already seem like magic so we should keep an open mind and not be surprised by the possibility that self-organization and dissipative structures may take us one step further than we previously supposed.

Those of you who didn't check out the article I originally linked, you really should; after the discussion in the last few posts its relevance should be clear: PDF. It speaks to nearly everything that's come up in the last few pages: different perspectives on thermodynamics, the limits of natural selection, incommensurability of biology and physics, end-directedness, etc.

I actually looked up your article, and frankly it and everything surrounding it is poo poo.

Starting at the "looking up" part, because for some reason your link doesn't work.

1) What the gently caress is the ~sonoran institute for epistemic studies~?

It's a vanity website run by some guy called R Swenson. Swenson also runs more vanity websites, including spacetimenow.tripod.com which is identical with rodswenson.com, entropylaw.com, https://www.lawofmaximumentropyproduction.com and (most likely - the sites are missing any author data but each host a single swenson paper and little else) philosophyofscience.org and ecologicalpsychology.com

2) What the gently caress is the law of maximum entropy production?

It says that beyond the second law of Thermodynamics there is a law that you get the process decreasing entropy at the fastest possible rate. Swenson uses an example about how cold air rushes in through an open window even though heat transfer through the walls of your house would also dissipate entropy, and many words are used to attempt to explain the origin of self-organisation and life with it. This alleged law was formulated by Swenson in 1988 or thenabouts.

In the entire bulk of scientific literature, over almost thirty years, it has only ever been the subject of niche publications in niche conferences/journals, and invariably R Swenson is the (or, on the rare multi-author papers, one) author.

3) With this in mind, the ever-relevant Crackpot Index should be kept at hand when reading Swenson papers. Since Swenson and very few colleagues claim to have discovered the secret of life or something, I suggest extra points for hilarious biology fails and for gratuitous or unnecessary self-citation.

In keeping with the tradition of Gibson's original eco-psych paper full of basic misunderstandings of ecology and evolution which Swenson for some reason likes to cite, Swensom himself starts out by just assuming away reality and starting in a ridiculously simplistic and often clearly wrong place.

Fig. 1, used by Swenson to show how entropy decreases on Earth with the proxy of increasing atmospheric oxygen, and previously published by Swenson in some obscure book.

Reality: lol nope.

Fig. 2, used by Swenson to show how metabolic rates per unit mass of animals increase over geological time. There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start, but perhaps some basic failings are wrongly lumping together/separating animals (if you use the term reptile, then that includes birds aka the uppermost points, or if you actually separate out birds from reptiles then you have to put dinosaurs and crocodiles in with them), and some obvious bias in that all the lower points are broader clades grades typically at class-level or above while all the higher points are cherry-picked orders. Even accounting for changes in animal systematics after this plot was made, many such mistakes remain. This plot is basically useless unless you really like to draw exponential lines through things better explained by other models.

At this point there is no reason to continue reading because if you start from false assumptions, no amount of logic and thinking can possibly save your argument.

e: heh, just saw thot wikipedia of all places, bastion of accurate specialist knowledge and strict standards of article maintenance and relevance that it is, deleted the article on the law of maximum entropy production for being blatant garbage :laffo:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 27, 2016

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Fig. 2, used by Swenson to show how metabolic rates per unit mass of animals increase over geological time. There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start, but perhaps some basic failings are wrongly lumping together/separating animals (if you use the term reptile, then that includes birds aka the uppermost points, or if you actually separate out birds from reptiles then you have to put dinosaurs and crocodiles in with them), and some obvious bias in that all the lower points are broader clades grades typically at class-level or above while all the higher points are cherry-picked orders. Even accounting for changes in animal systematics after this plot was made, many such mistakes remain. This plot is basically useless unless you really like to draw exponential lines through things better explained by other models.

Is there any explanation as to why the points are where they are on the x-axis? I can't make out all the numbers but the placement seems rather arbitrary. Coelenterata looks like it could be when the group first evolved, but the first point for Aves looks to be about halfway between the first bird and the modern day. Although frankly, every single point should be at the absolute end of the x-axis because that's the only point in time where the metabolic rate per unit mass of any of those groups has been measured.

Bonus: As all the non-bird reptiles with a high metabolic rate are extinct, including birds in Reptilia is the only way you could have that group not have a higher average metabolic rate in the past than it does today. The only reason I wouldn't expect the average metabolic rate for Reptilia as a whole to have been higher in the past than it is today is because about half of all living reptile species are birds. (I'm also being generous here and using Sauropsida. Reptilia proper is the crown group, which most likely contains every single sauropsid with a high metabolic rate that has ever lived.)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Juffo-Wup posted:

I take it you didn't read the paper I linked? Because that is not in fact the argument.

I wasn't specifically responding to your linked paper in that post.

But, having looked at it, it is at least interesting and not obvious junk like SurgicalOntologist's stuff, so I'll comment on it in somewhat more detail.

Fodor illustrates his main point pretty well:

quote:

The assumption that the subject-matter of psychology [note: or, more broadly, every other science] is part of the subject-matter of physics is taken to imply that psychological theories must reduce to physical theories, and it is this latter principle that makes the trouble. I want to avoid the trouble by challenging the inference.

As far as his description of how physics -> everything else is commonly understood goes (i.e. that everything, directly or indirectly reduces back to a physical law if you look hard enough and that it's not just a one way street in which physical events cause some other things but where you can't go back from all other things to physics) , I agree with him.

For the sake of his argument, reductivism is that

quote:

reductivism entails the generality of physics in at least the sense that any event which falls within the universe of discourse of a special science will also fall within the universe of discourse of physics. Moreover, any prediction which follows from the laws of a special science and a statement of initial conditions will also follow from a theory which consists of physics and the bridge laws, together with the statement of initial conditions. Finally, since 'reduces to' is supposed to be an asymmetric relation, it will also turn out that physics is the basic science; that is, if reductivism is true, physics is the only science that is general in the sense just specified. I now want to argue that reductivism is too strong a constraint upon the unity of science, but that the relevantly weaker doctrine will preserve the desired consequences of reductivism : token physicalism, the generality of physics, and its basic position among the sciences.
with 'token physicalism' being

quote:

simply the claim that all the events that the sciences talk about are physical events.
, while not claiming that every property other sciences describe is inherently a physical property, and reductivism going too far here.

He initially lays out his definition of 'natural kind predicates':

quote:

Equivalently, I take it that there is no natural law which applies to events in virtue of their being instantiations of the property is transported to a distance of less than three miles from the Eiffel Tower [...]. By way of abbreviating these facts, I shall say that the property is transported... does not determine a natural kind, and that predicates which express that property are not natural kind predicates.
with the 'natural kind predicates' being

quote:

roughly, the natural kind predicates of a science are the ones whose terms are the bound variables in its proper laws

Fodor says that

quote:

The reason it is unlikely that every natural kind corresponds to a physical natural kind is just that
(a) interesting generalizations (e.g., counter-factual supporting generalizations) can often be made about events whose physical descriptions have nothing in common,

(b) it is often the case that whether the physical descriptions of the events subsumed by these generalizations have anything in common is, in an obvious sense, entirely irrelevant to the truth of the generalizations, or to their in terestingness, or to their degree of confirmation or, indeed, to any of their epistemologically important properties, and

(c) the special sciences are very much in the business of making generalizations of this kind

He argues that you cannot reduce everything down to physics with the following example:

quote:

Gresham's law says something about what will happen in monetary exchanges under certain conditions. I am willing to believe that physics is general in the sense that it implies that any event which consists of a monetary exchange (hence any event which falls under Gresham's law) has a true description in the vocabulary of physics and in virtue of which it falls under the laws of physics.
So far agreed...but so what?

quote:

But banal considerations suggest that a description which covers all such events must be wildly disjunctive. Some monetary exchanges involve strings of wampum. Some involve dollar bills. And some involve signing one's name to a check. What are the chances that a disjunction of physical predicates which covers all these events (i.e., a disjunctive predicate which can form the right hand side of a bridge law of the form 'x is a monetary exchange -> /<-...') expresses a physical natural kind? In particular, what are the chances that such a predicate forms the antecedent or consequent of some proper law of physics?

The point is that monetary exchanges have interesting things in common; Gresham's law, if true, says what one of these in teresting things is. But what is interesting about monetary exchanges is surely not their commonalities under physical description. A natural kind like a monetary exchange could turn out to be co-extensive with a physical natural kind; but if it did, that would be an accident on a cosmic scale.
Fodor doubles down on this by claiming that reductionism requires there to be, in fact, a physical law of economic transactions, and presents a thought experiment boiling down to the same point for the relationship of psychology and neurosciences. Thus, it turns out Fodor's objection is that events which are broadly similar from a human perspective specifically and which can individually be reduced to physical events do not form a distinct category of physical events.

Again: so what? The fact that an answer is not the most useful answer to you, a human in tyool 1974 does not constitute a statement on whether this answer is true or whether, through sufficient effort, it could be used to form a more elaborate framework to produce answers you find useful. In fact, a reductionist description of e.g. financial transactions, would not attempt to find a physical law of all and only all financial transactions but to find physical explanations for a much broader category of phenomena which then happen to include financial transactions as one of most likely many phenomena. A reductionist would say about economics that among all physical events described by the relevant theory/theories, a subset have features that are interesting to economists because they fulfil the entirely subjective criteria people use to categorise something as an economic transaction. Fodor's argument at the end of his paper, that reductionism doesn't work because basic (physical) laws are exceptionless while the other sciences' laws have exceptions, is again besides the point because reductionism does not require that all phenomena grouped together by people in other fields are explained by the same physical law (unless you go all the way back to a not-yet-developed theory of everything), merely that all these phenomena could ultimately be explained through pure physics at all. There is no reason to consider "multiple types of physical systems spit out results that are superficially similar in a particular way" to be unusual at all. It is thus more useful to consider the laws of other fields to be different from physical laws in that they are explicitly intended to only describe a subset of the properties of any phenomenon, in order to be more useful as an approximation of systems too complicated for humans using currently available computers to understand from first principles.

tl;dr: Fodor complains that explaining other fields with physics results in answers which aren't the types of answers most people care about. He makes a decent argument, but completely misses the point.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 27, 2016

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yes, Swenson is a crackpot. His websites are an embarrassment. I didn't realize the link I gave was to another of them, ugh. FWIW, he hasn't been involved for a long time, and the scientists who are are well-respected in their fields. For example, Kondepudi, who's textbook on thermodynamics you may have used in undergrad.

The modern literature on the topic is probably more rigorous, but alas it is behind paywalls. Nevertheless I feel that the Swenson article is more accessible, given that he goes deeper into the background and history than any of these:
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heco20/24/1
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heco20/24/3

I'm disappointed to hear that those figures are inaccurate. However, he didn't come up with data out of thin air, he does give references. The second one isn't even his figure. And the correct version of the first that you posted seems perfectly consistent with the idea that evolution has tended toward a state of greater O2 concentration. I'm assuming that spike that he missed was some extinction event.

It's too bad you find these inaccuracies to preclude even continuing to read the paper. To me they don't seem damning of the entire enterprise. I'm sure there's plenty more you could pick apart.

blowfish posted:

e: heh, just saw thot wikipedia of all places, bastion of accurate specialist knowledge and strict standards of article maintenance and relevance that it is, deleted the article on the law of maximum entropy production for being blatant garbage :laffo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremal_principles_in_non-equilibrium_thermodynamics

Swenson probably should have latched onto on the of these rather than trying to forward his own formulation, but it's not like he's the first or the last to do so.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The Larch posted:

Is there any explanation as to why the points are where they are on the x-axis? I can't make out all the numbers but the placement seems rather arbitrary. Coelenterata looks like it could be when the group first evolved
Yeah pretty much...

quote:

, but the first point for Aves looks to be about halfway between the first bird and the modern day.
... and yeah, he gets it wrong. I suppose he could have simply been uninformed about the correct times.

quote:

Although frankly, every single point should be at the absolute end of the x-axis because that's the only point in time where the metabolic rate per unit mass of any of those groups has been measured.
:agreed:, this is a good point to illustrate how hilariously wrong his assumptions are. This type of stuff is from the bad old days when biologists first discovered they could measure metabolic rates and then extrapolated back because nobody knew better yet and you have to start somewhere.

quote:

Bonus: As all the non-bird reptiles with a high metabolic rate are extinct, including birds in Reptilia is the only way you could have that group not have a higher average metabolic rate in the past than it does today. The only reason I wouldn't expect the average metabolic rate for Reptilia as a whole to have been higher in the past than it is today is because about half of all living reptile species are birds. (I'm also being generous here and using Sauropsida. Reptilia proper is the crown group, which most likely contains every single sauropsid with a high metabolic rate that has ever lived.)

This might have been before the time when people finally agreed that birds need to go into the reptile grade if you want to make it a clade, but yeah, ignoring all extinct reptiles is a hilarious oversight.

Yes, Swenson is a crackpot. His websites are an embarrassment. I didn't realize the link I gave was to another of them, ugh. FWIW, he hasn't been involved for a long time, and the scientists who are are well-respected in their fields. For example, Kondepudi, who's textbook on thermodynamics you may have used in undergrad.

The modern literature on the topic is probably more rigorous, but alas it is behind paywalls. Nevertheless I feel that the Swenson article is more accessible, given that he goes deeper into the background and history than any of these:
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heco20/24/1
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heco20/24/3
If I have time I may read these in detail and critique them.

quote:

I'm disappointed to hear that those figures are inaccurate. However, he didn't come up with data out of thin air, he does give references. The second one isn't even his figure. And the correct version of the first that you posted seems perfectly consistent with the idea that evolution has tended toward a state of greater O2 concentration. I'm assuming that spike that he missed was some extinction event.
See: bad old days when people were still laying the foundations of their field and didn't know enough facts to draw useful conclusions.

quote:

It's too bad you find these inaccuracies to preclude even continuing to read the paper. To me they don't seem damning of the entire enterprise. I'm sure there's plenty more you could pick apart.
Essentially when someone is an obvious crackpot I don't see any reason to continue picking apart. There are too many crackpots in the world to care about any particular one of them. It's like starting a math argument with "based on the premise that 1+1=3".

• Locked thread