Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

I'm not worried about the FFVII remake because it's being done by CyberConnect2 which launched 7 games, three animes, several manga and poo poo all for one series just on the PS2.

Also probably why it's being broken up into parts.

On the other hand, Noumra thought Kitase was directing the game until the trailer released and he saw his name. On the game they'd already started prelim work on. My confidence is not high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some people like watching other people play games, especially if they're funny or interesting or do stuff the average player can't.
Also watching random people playing a game gives you a better feel for whether you'd enjoy it than trailers or promo stuff.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

tap my mountain posted:

Diablo 1 isn't that great though, and if they really wanted to get people to hop on a nostalgia hype train it should have been D2 instead

Necromancer is part of a dlc pack which will probably cost 10-20

I'll buy this pack because D3 is a great game to have around, although I would've preferred an actual add-on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's crazy how much some of them seem to make in donations if you watch one of the big streamers for like 10 minutes

I guess it takes a lot of work to get to that point but it's weird seeing someone play a game/not really saying much and making hundreds of dollars in a few minutes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

people get lonely or whatever and want to not only watch someone play games but also interact with them so they feel important and part of the show so they do this by spoiling surprises, spamming what to do if someone gets stuck, and paying to have their name pop up with a sound effect to get noticed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Empress Brosephine posted:

can someone explain to me why twitch is so popular. i just dont understand watching people play games long form i guess :shrug:
Just like TV, if you don't find the right channel it's not entertaining

Find someone you find funny or who has a particular talent like speedrunners, or plays obscure stuff that you can't get (shoutouts to Macaw45) and it can be pretty entertaining. Though to be fair you could get the same out of Youtube videos, you just wouldn't get to interact with each other and the host

I'll also use it to get an impression of new games sometimes since I can pop in somewhere in the middle without having to scroll through a bunch of videos, plus I can ask a question and I have a general idea of how competent the people I follow are and who will be putting in more effort

I don't tend to like the massively popular channels where they scroll too fast to chat, but there are even a couple of those on my list since they're entertaining.

Real hurthling! posted:

people get lonely or whatever and want to not only watch someone play games but also interact with them so they feel important and part of the show so they do this by spoiling surprises, spamming what to do if someone gets stuck, and paying to have their name pop up with a sound effect to get noticed.
Kids do love that, most of the channels I frequent have no-backseating rules and try to keep the sounds unobtrusive. The ones with giant loud full screen alerts I can't stand to watch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

bloodychill posted:

On the other hand, Noumra thought Kitase was directing the game until the trailer released and he saw his name. On the game they'd already started prelim work on. My confidence is not high.

I still feel like that was only ever supposed to be a cute anecdote that people instantly took to prove massive mismanagement at the top of Square.

Like if he had said he wasn't aware he was working on the game at all that would be troubling, but as-is he just didn't know his position on the project. I mean if I got taken off of as the director of a game in the series that represents the entire company you might not think you'd have such a prolific part on the remake of the most favored game in that series regardless of working on it in the past.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

can someone explain to me why twitch is so popular. i just dont understand watching people play games long form i guess :shrug:

Real hurthling! posted:

people get lonely

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like watching people play games that gave me a "spark" back in the day because the only way to get that again is to watch other people play that game for the first time.

I want to play Super Metroid and Shadow of the Colossus again for the first time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only really watch speed/challenge runs, I don't see the point in watching something I could just do myself.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean i played and streamed super metroid for the first time on twitch and it was fun, but i was the streamer. I didn't understand the people who watched me literally every moment of the game :shrug:

speedruns are fun if they're like 5 minutes, I just don't get the long form. oh well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I only really watch speed/challenge runs, I don't see the point in watching something I could just do myself.

watching great fighting game players is cool too. skill i'll never have

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

Honestly, mobile games in general seem very underpriced, it's an unusual phenomenon

Its a hyper competitive market compared to console games. The barrier to entry is so much lower so you get a ton of indies trying to break into the scene and constantly having to undercut each other for any attention at all, then you've got free games on top of that competing with them too. Keeps things super cheap.

Also they're mostly digital and priced accordingly. Console games are in the extremely awkward position where digital releases generally are more expensive than physical in order to avoid offending retailers, when digital should be way way cheaper.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

The Witcher 3 was $60, one of the largest RPGs ever made, fully voice acted. FFXV is probably going to be bigger than W3, and it's only $60. W3 has way more than 40 hours of gameplay, and I'm assuming the FFXV will.

More importantly, the original FFVII only had about 40-50 hours of gameplay, so what the gently caress are they adding to stretch it over multiple games? Bloating a game up and splitting into multiple games doesn't make it worth paying more for.

edit: Pricing aside, in general, I don't expect my FFVII nostalgia to be a persistant thing. If it was gonna be one game that I could buy and play and beat, I would probably get it for full price for the trip down memory lane. If I can only start it, and then have to get more as it comes out, I don't care enough.

Dud you should like watch a trailer of the FF7 remake before you make all these weird angry posts that have nothing to do with reality.

They're completely remaking the game. Its more like an FPS or Kingdom Hearts than the original FF7. "what the gently caress are they adding?" EVERYTHING.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That and reliving the old times when you were bullshitting with your brother or friends in front of a game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It feels like hanging out with people and playing games, but without needing to expend gaming effort or leaving your house.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Watching streams instead of television programs is just another way millennials are destroying the traditional economy (see also: "diamonds" , "houses") and I'm glad of it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Face cams are bad

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chomp8645 posted:

Watching streams instead of television programs is just another way millennials are destroying the traditional economy (see also: "diamonds" , "houses") and I'm glad of it.

Ten bucks for the SA forum account to follow in-forum LPs, no cost to watch youtube or twitch - what's cable, again?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You're right, I didn't watch a recent trailer. There was an IGN article in april that said FFVII would be "multiple full games" and that they were using FFXIII as their template for how it would be released. That's literally the last time I gave a poo poo about it. I didn't even know there were gameplay trailers out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Recalling the amount of people that dropped a tenner (sometimes on shared accounts) to read the dangan ronpa and dangan ronpa 2 lp's will always get a chuckle out of me. They ought to come out with another one of those games so Lowtax can line his pockets with gold once more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ten bucks for the SA forum account to follow in-forum LPs, no cost to watch youtube or twitch - what's cable, again?

idk but Cox really wishes I would spend $100 a month on it instead of using Netflix for like $12 instead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's up november games chat thread

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I wish ubisoft would rerelease the first 3 Splinter Cell games and give them the current-Gen makeover

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm watching people play Bloodborne for the first time and it's cool to see them learn & grow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I got Broforce in the humble monthly and it's....good! I'm shocked at how fluid and fun it is to control and how satisfying it is to leave a hoard of dead guys behind you. Mindless violence reduced down to pure fun. :allears:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'm watching people play Bloodborne for the first time and it's cool to see them learn & grow.

Cool

I'm watching a longplay of Sanitarium, cause I know I'm never gonna play it and I'm 3/4ths of the way through the longplay already and don't have anything else to do at the moment so might as well watch it

StrixNebulosa posted:

I got Broforce in the humble monthly and it's....good! I'm shocked at how fluid and fun it is to control and how satisfying it is to leave a hoard of dead guys behind you. Mindless violence reduced down to pure fun. :allears:

Yeah Broforce is a bunch of fun! I dunno if they are still adding characters to it or not, but I hope they are because it was neat seeing the different kinds of playstyles they could come up with

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool

I'm watching a longplay of Sanitarium, cause I know I'm never gonna play it and I'm 3/4ths of the way through the longplay already and don't have anything else to do at the moment so might as well watch it

Yeah Broforce is a bunch of fun! I dunno if they are still adding characters to it or not, but I hope they are because it was neat seeing the different kinds of playstyles they could come up with

I booted it up without knowing it was going to have actual referenced dudes in there, so I was expecting generic action dudes - and then I got Brade. And whatever the Bro equivalent of Mr T is. And so on. I can't wait to see who else is in this silly, silly game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

They had an update in July that added a bunch of characters and rebalanced the Snake Plisskin character to be more fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

You're right, I didn't watch a recent trailer. There was an IGN article in april that said FFVII would be "multiple full games" and that they were using FFXIII as their template for how it would be released. That's literally the last time I gave a poo poo about it. I didn't even know there were gameplay trailers out.

Basically they realized that simply updating the graphics on FFVII wouldn't satisfy the fans, so they're instead making a huge insane fan-dream version of FFVII where every little screen is a huge, massively detailed map that you can freely run around and explore and fight enemies with Kingdom Hearts / FFXV style real-time melee combat stuff.

Its a gigantic undertaking. We'll see how they end up pricing the episodes, but if they remake all of FFVII on that scale, its going to end up being over a hundred hours long easy.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Phantasium posted:

drat it thread, stop reminding me of good PS2 games.
Okay.

Demolition Girl. Mega Man X 7. Shadow the Hedgehog.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I want a new FPS.

I'm torn between Battlefield 1 and the new Call of Duty. What should I get goons?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm at work and my impending doom sense has been tingling uncomfortably for the past week. Death can not come soon enough.

I am also working my way through Color Splash and DQ7, albeit very slowly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ostentatious posted:

I wish ubisoft would rerelease the first 3 Splinter Cell games and give them the current-Gen makeover

love to see hi def textures on 20 poly models

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm at work and my impending doom sense has been tingling uncomfortably for the past week. Death can not come soon enough.

What's wrong?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Milosh posted:

I want a new FPS.

I'm torn between Battlefield 1 and the new Call of Duty. What should I get goons?

Titanfall 2 is goddamn gold

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

Recalling the amount of people that dropped a tenner (sometimes on shared accounts) to read the dangan ronpa and dangan ronpa 2 lp's will always get a chuckle out of me. They ought to come out with another one of those games so Lowtax can line his pockets with gold once more.

they did make another one but it's a terrible survival horror game

maybe i should lp it, id become famous

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Milosh posted:

I want a new FPS.

Battlefield 1 is really fun. Its probably my favorite Battlefield game ever. I didn't even really get into the past ones (played 1942 and 3 and 4 here and there) but I just keep wanting to play BF1.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Great Joe posted:

Okay.

Demolition Girl. Mega Man X 7. Shadow the Hedgehog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ BURN BURN BURN BURN BURN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

they did make another one but it's a terrible survival horror game

maybe i should lp it, id become famous

Only if you translate it from japanese like Orenronen did the original dangman grandpa so weebs flock to it like bees to honey.

• Locked thread