Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, if the line is like this in mid-August I'll be very tempted to bet all my savings on Mayweather. I give McGregor a 2% chance of winning at most, and it's only that high to account for the possibility that Mayweather won't take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Or Conor dives in the right round to secure that bet?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
remember when the ufc thread was ridiculing everyone who thought holm might win against rousey and I also remember a super bowl halftime score of 28-3. go ahead. bet all your life savings that a 40 year old man can beat up conor mcgreggors.tttttttttttttttttttt

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Gay Horney posted:

remember when the ufc thread was ridiculing everyone who thought holm might win against rousey and I also remember a super bowl halftime score of 28-3. go ahead. bet all your life savings that a 40 year old man can beat up conor mcgreggors.tttttttttttttttttttt

No, you don't understand, Ronda is a once in a LIFETIME... once in EVER... kind of fighter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I saw a rocky analogy earlier... Would Conor be Clubber Lang, and Floyd be Rocky?

Nah, I'm pretty sure Lang was actually a professional boxer. Conor is more like Thunderlips.

doctor thodt posted:

This is a deeply cynical event that was meticulously orchestrated by a handful of greedy capitalists for the sole purpose of lining their own pockets, knowing full well the deep dissatisfaction every fan will have after the final bell rings and the profound long-term damage they could do to their respective sports. It does nothing beneficial for anything or anyone but them. It's playing to people's baser instincts with insider knowledge, the knowledge that we just can't help ourselves. We've seen this game countless times before. We know it's rigged against us, but we keep playing it anyway.

There's that great clip of Bob Arum after the third Pac-Marquez fight, the one with the weird decision. Arum says he doesn't understand why anyone's upset. Everyone made a lot of money. And he seems genuinely confused. That's basically boxing in a nutshell to me.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

There's that great clip of Bob Arum after the third Pac-Marquez fight, the one with the weird decision. Arum says he doesn't understand why anyone's upset. Everyone made a lot of money. And he seems genuinely confused. That's basically boxing in a nutshell to me.

I get what you're saying, but there's boxing, and then there's whatever this is. JMM is a storied Mexican boxer with over 50 professional wins. Conor McGregor is an amateur boxer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

I get what you're saying, but there's boxing, and then there's whatever this is. JMM is a storied Mexican boxer with over 50 professional wins. Conor McGregor is an amateur boxer.

Oh, I know it's not the same. It's just that there was so much going on in that fight, both from a narrative perspective and a boxing one. And, obviously, plenty of people were disappointed with the result. But all Bob Arum could see was how much money everyone made. It's the same attitude here. To someone who only cares about money, the fights are the same as each other. They're both going to make a lot of money.

It's a common attitude at the top of a lot of industries. There's a story of a film executive seeing the terrible numbers for the Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle 'Sudden Death' which is 'Die Hard, but at ice hockey.' He apparently yells "I don't understand, we had so many more hostages than Die Hard." Same complete lack of understanding of why people care.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 23, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

This is a deeply cynical event that was meticulously orchestrated by a handful of greedy capitalists for the sole purpose of lining their own pockets, knowing full well the deep dissatisfaction every fan will have after the final bell rings and the profound long-term damage they could do to their respective sports. It does nothing beneficial for anything or anyone but them. It's playing to people's baser instincts with insider knowledge, the knowledge that we just can't help ourselves. We've seen this game countless times before. We know it's rigged against us, but we keep playing it anyway.

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably buy it.

its true that the people involved want to make money from it

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

I.N.R.I posted:

its true that the people involved want to make money from it

This fight is breaking boundaries

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

The first is an mma fighter vs an mma fighter. The second is a football team vs a football tea,. This fight is between an undefeated boxer vs a popular guy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

doctor thodt posted:

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably buy it.

if ever there was a thing to pirate

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Does anyone know the price of this? I have been assuming it will be one hundred dollars.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Does anyone know the price of this?

The -0 on Floyd's record

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, I know it's not the same. It's just that there was so much going on in that fight, both from a narrative perspective and a boxing one. And, obviously, plenty of people were disappointed with the result. But all Bob Arum could see was how much money everyone made. It's the same attitude here. To someone who only cares about money, the fights are the same as each other. They're both going to make a lot of money.

It's a common attitude at the top of a lot of industries. There's a story of a film executive seeing the terrible numbers for the Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle 'Sudden Death' which is 'Die Hard, but at ice hockey.' He apparently yells "I don't understand, we had so many more hostages than Die Hard." Same complete lack of understanding of why people care.

Lmao sudden death owns and that owns too

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i'm gonna watch it at my friend javi's house who got so mad during mayweather/marquez that he smashed a xbox controller and a nice lamp and "gave up on boxing"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Think How mad he's going to get when Conor wins and calls out the New York Yankees

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

Think How mad he's going to get when Conor wins and calls out the New York Yankees

cant wait

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Conor could defeat Tom Brady in the NFL.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cigar Aficionado posted:

More and more this event strikes me as a cynical fixed fight put together to help both sports' overall popularity. McGregor's actual boxing skills are so poor compared to Floyd's that I can't see how this is really going to be a straight fight. Floyd either carries Connor for much longer than he has a right to last, or Floyd somehow finds a way to lose to set up a rematch.

bro did you see mcgregor beating up that deck of cards?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cards are for pussies, Conor needs to get on this level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_dIxkJ_iEM

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Most people don't know poo poo about boxing, like the fact that it exists and who the boxers are

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
McGregor is Spider Rico in Rocky Balboa. Mayweather is Apollo Creed in Rocky 5

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

Most people don't give a poo poo about boxing, like the fact that it exists and who the boxers are

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

McGregor is Spider Rico in Rocky Balboa. Mayweather is Apollo Creed in Rocky 5

The guy who played Spider Rico is a more accomplished boxer than McGregor

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo he is! 18W 3L! This guy fought Ken Norton??

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Gay Horney posted:

Most people don't know poo poo about boxing, like the fact that it exists and who the boxers are

With MMA, people are kind of aware of it, but their think it only consists of the UFC and only care about a handful of fighters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holy poo poo he is! 18W 3L! This guy fought Ken Norton??

There's a saying. Hmmm, how does it go?
Ah yes - most people don't know poo poo about boxing.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Lmao sudden death owns and that owns too

The late, great Powers Boothe fuckin' makes that movie. Pity about everything else that isn't Powers Boothe threatening little children or JCVD doing high kicks in a Hockey goalie's outfit.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Can't wait for Aldo and Connor to train on the beach for the rematch against Floyd.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Gay Horney posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would be so happy if it turned out Conor McGregor's entire career was because he was trying to win a Brewster's Millions-style bet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Some guy at work is convinced McG will win. I could probably get him to bet on it, but he's kind of dumb so idk if its ethical.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
its unethical to not take that sucker's money

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So is there a way to bet on the outcome being shenanigans? Like I'm expecting in the second round to see Connor sneak in a knee to the groin, the ref to miss it, Roger Mayweather to rush the ring, then both entourages rush the ring and after all is settled Max Kellerman will enter the ring to sell the rematch.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Shankel Magnus posted:

So is there a way to bet on the outcome being shenanigans? Like I'm expecting in the second round to see Connor sneak in a knee to the groin, the ref to miss it, Roger Mayweather to rush the ring, then both entourages rush the ring and after all is settled Max Kellerman will enter the ring to sell the rematch.

most betting sites have odds for all kinds of insane outcomes. you can probably bet on how many protuding nose hairs mayweather shows up to the ring with if you want

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A "will Conor lose by disqualification" wager might be good to bet against, because I imagine so many people believe he will that the odds for it happening will be driven too high.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i read somewhere floyd was worried conor would do something crazy and get disqualified so they wrote something into the contract that severely punishes him if that happens

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Skip My Posts posted:

i read somewhere floyd was worried conor would do something crazy and get disqualified so they wrote something into the contract that severely punishes him if that happens

Unless the punishment is he loses his entire purse than the possibility can't be totally discounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The SituAsian posted:

Unless the punishment is he loses his entire purse than the possibility can't be totally discounted.

I'm sure it's a very substantial portion of the purse

• Locked thread