Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Insect Court posted:

oh yeah well what about *furiously googles for a historical incident where anabaptists were attacked by 'da West*

Papists did a number on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

unpacked robinhood posted:

Terrorist Info: Djaziri Adam L, the Paris islamer was from a "salafist family" and was an S since 2015 because he radicalized himself.

His family organized every weekend and for years weird meetings behind closed shutters with several dozen people, in their home.
The neighbours warned the city about this.

But salafists are just really spiritual people guys.
It's funny because iirc when you practice at a club and go through the paperwork to own handguns (as in you're allowed to keep them home) the prefecture can still tell you to gently caress off and aren't obligated to cite a reason.

You'd think organizing secret salafist meetings would be a pretty good reason but that's probably racist/an -ist (=bad).

nah salafists can go gently caress themselves

I feel like the whole issue would be way less wrapped up in identity politics if more people actually referred to any salafi/wahhabi beliefs held by terrorists rather than simply the muslim aspect. Even radical islam sucks as a descriptor for this

like when describing the white terrorists in America this year, I feel it's more useful in addressing the issue if you refer to them as white nationalist instead of simply conservatives because while I find the ideology repugnant p much from top to bottom, it's mostly the white nationalists who take it a step further and commit fatal attacks and that's where your attention should be focused in trying to establish some cultural norms around making the holding of such extreme beliefs more taboo

and if you're known to hold salafist/wahhabist/white nationalist beliefs I think the government should probably scrutinize your rear end in a top hat a little more than everyone else's

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Pretty sure scrutinizing salafists/wahhabists is already racist by western standards. It's too late.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Pretty sure scrutinizing salafists/wahhabists is already racist by western standards. It's too late.

Just curious but when has this been true? This seems like something you'd only see in wahhab-supporting gulf states.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Boner Zone posted:

it's mostly the white nationalists who take it a step further and commit fatal attacks

[citation needed]

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Psycho Society posted:

Just curious but when has this been true? This seems like something you'd only see in wahhab-supporting gulf states.

It's picking out an minority within a minority. Just the sound of it makes it no bueno. It's a catch-22. Schrodingers racism. If you observe it, its racist.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

[citation needed]

lmao I'm being charitable as gently caress to conservative ideology right there dude and am not about to die on the hill of "it's white nationalists, not conservatives!"

But I can think of five fatal attacks this year in North America off the top of my head that had some kind of white nationalist motivation so :shrug:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Boner Zone posted:

lmao I'm being charitable as gently caress to conservative ideology right there dude and am not about to die on the hill of "it's white nationalists, not conservatives!"

But I can think of five fatal attacks this year in North America off the top of my head that had some kind of white nationalist motivation so :shrug:

Haha I googled "five fatal attacks this year in North America off the top of my head that had some kind of white nationalist motivation"

First result is this:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-fresno-shooting-20170418-story.html

Swing and a miss.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Boner Zone posted:

I see, you are saying most attacks by conservatives are white nationalists, not all attacks overall.

Right?

Also, what is covered by "attack" in your mind?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 20, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Looks like it's spreading some more - http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/fairfax/police-search-for-girl-missing-from-religious-institution/450100705

Some spanish dude attacked a group of teens outside a mosque and killed a girl. Cops are saying it's just a simple case of road rage but idk what kind of road rage compels you to get out of the car and kill people

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Boner Zone posted:

5 fatalities in the US is like chump change, all things considered

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I always wanted to visit the UK but now seems like a bad time

Well... at least I got to see France, Germany and Italy while I still could

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

CharlestonJew posted:

idk what kind of road rage compels you to get out of the car and kill people

:psyduck:

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

I see, you are saying most attacks by conservatives are white nationalists, not all attacks overall.

Right?

Also, what is covered by "attack" in your mind?

I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about within the context of right wing extremist violence, yeah. This isn't to say there isn't a strong vein of white nationalism in conservative ideology itself, but it's harder to pin down your everyday conservative as a white nationalist on account of the protective layer of mucus they secrete.

When one stabs a black man to death to discourage interracial relationships or shoots an Indian guy for being a legal immigrant though, they're pretty undeniably white nationalist.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

JB50 posted:

Haha I googled "five fatal attacks this year in North America off the top of my head that had some kind of white nationalist motivation"

First result is this:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-fresno-shooting-20170418-story.html

Swing and a miss.

lmao is that your regular googling method

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Looks like it's spreading some more - http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/fairfax/police-search-for-girl-missing-from-religious-institution/450100705

Some spanish dude attacked a group of teens outside a mosque and killed a girl. Cops are saying it's just a simple case of road rage but idk what kind of road rage compels you to get out of the car and kill people

I'm more confused about the arrest. They found the body a day later and just arrested someone driving around nearby? And then the police department immediately posts his photograph on twitter?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Psycho Society posted:

I'm more confused about the arrest. They found the body a day later and just arrested someone driving around nearby? And then the police department immediately posts his photograph on twitter?

they say the suspects always return to the scene of the crime... clearly this guy came back to admire his handiwork

yeah maybe i worded that wrong but its hard to imagine a simple case of road rage when these kids weren't even driving, just walking/biking home

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently all her friends ran away when he started assaulting her... I know they're teenagers, but that's a little messed up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlestonJew posted:

idk what kind of road rage compels you to get out of the car and kill people

i know this isn't what you mean but i've seen a guy trying to pull out of an alley with heavy foot traffic and no right-of-way, get out of his car, and lose his poo poo and get into a shouting match with some pedestrians

my understanding of southern european city streets is that the entire place is basically all alleys with tons of walkers and no right-of-way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Psycho Society posted:

Apparently all her friends ran away when he started assaulting her... I know they're teenagers, but that's a little messed up

I can't really fault a bunch of scared teenagers for GTFO when some random rear end in a top hat comes tearing through wth violence, though I do wish someone had called 9-1-1.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/world/europe/darren-osborne-london-attack-mosque.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

How Neighbors Saw Man Held in London Mosque Attack: ‘Drunk, Cursing and Vile’

quote:

JUNE 20, 2017

CARDIFF, Wales — He was born in Singapore, but his family moved back to Britain when he was a child. He had family problems and was known by locals as belligerent and aggressive, with a drinking problem. He had Muslim neighbors, who described his behavior as fairly unremarkable, and his children had Muslim friends.

No one on the cul-de-sac in Cardiff, Wales, where Darren Osborne, 47, lived could readily explain what he is believed to have done: rented a van, driven it 150 miles to London and plowed into a crowd of Muslims as they finished prayers at the Finsbury Park Mosque early Monday.

Numerous residents here said that Mr. Osborne was often agitated, even disturbed, but few described him as frightening and none said he had expressed political sentiments, much less anti-Muslim or far-right ones — until last weekend, when he was kicked out of a local pub, the Hollybush, after a drunken tirade.

“My son was at the pub on Saturday night and said he got kicked out because he was scribbling all over the tables and shouting racist comments about Pakistanis and Muslims,” a resident, Ross Johnson, said outside the pub on Tuesday.

The authorities have not formally identified Mr. Osborne as a suspect. But British news organizations, including the BBC, have named him, and friends and family members recognized him as the man arrested after Monday’s attack. The man was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism including murder and attempted murder.

The police raided Mr. Osborne’s house on Monday, and officers have been posted outside.

The assault wounded several people; seven remain hospitalized with a range of injuries. A man who had been receiving first aid at the scene died hours later, but it was not clear whether the attack had directly caused his death. Mr. Osborne was pinned down by bystanders after the attack and was shielded by an imam and other men before being hauled away by the police.

Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain called the act a terrorist attack targeting Muslims, and it was widely seen as yet another assault on the cosmopolitan, multicultural British capital, which had already experienced two terrorist attacks since March. It also raised questions about where the line between terrorism and hate crimes can be drawn, and whether the distinction is even meaningful, particularly in cases of severely disturbed individuals.

Several residents in and around Glyn Rhosyn, the street where Mr. Osborne lived in a semidetached two-story house, said he at times seemed disturbed and volatile.

Chris Peter, a car mechanic, said that he used to work with Mr. Osborne but that he had found Mr. Osborne to be “unreliable” and “erratic.”

“You just didn’t know what you’re going to get with Darren,” Mr. Peter said. “One minute he’s fine, the next he’s drunk, cursing and vile. He was a nut job.”

Mr. Peter added: “I stopped working with him because he had anger problems. One day, he came in stinking of booze and sweat and started shouting his mouth off throwing tools. I haven’t seen him in a while, but my mate said he’s been sleeping out in the woods in a tent because his lady kicked him out the house.”

Jennifer Mears, who lived a few houses away from Mr. Osborne, said she considered Mr. Osborne scary.

“My husband and I called him the ‘mad man,’ ” she said. “He would always zoom up and down the road in various cars that he would bring here. I think he bought and sold lots of cars, and it was annoying that he would park them all down the street.”

One resident described a time when Mr. Osborne had shouted at his family and thrown things around his garden.

“He threw a plastic swing, and it went over the fence and almost hit his neighbor,” said the resident, Laura Granger, who witnessed the episode. “When they complained about it, he swore at them and then went inside and started shouting at his children.”

She added: “We heard him scream at his wife, and he said, ‘Don’t make me get the cricket bat.’ ”

Elsa Newington, who works at a grocery story, said Mr. Osborne shopped there regularly and would buy his children chocolate and candy. After dropping them off at school, he would return to buy alcohol, she said.

“He came in here drunk a lot,” she added.

Lenny Evans, a friend of Mr. Osborne’s who met him about three years ago at a rugby game, said he had learned about the attack on the television and had been shocked to learn that he knew the man who had been detained.

“I saw him about a week ago and he seemed tense, but I knew he was having problems with his missis and thought it had something to do with that,” Mr. Evans said. “He made a few comments about all the recent terrorism in London, and criticized the government for being too soft on Muslims, but he never talked about wanting to kill anyone. When I’ve seen him angry, it’s been about his missis or money problems. Nothing about politics or terrorism.”

Mr. Evans added: “He’s very up and down, but at his core, he’s a good man, or so we all believed.”

Mr. Osborne’s children attend the local Glyncoed Primary School and have several Muslim friends, according to other parents in the area.

Amir Jark, a Muslim father of two children who attend the school, said that he had seen Mr. Osborne many times and that he had appeared to be kind and even loving toward children.

“I heard that he got into a fight with one of the parents in the playground last week, but I don’t think he’s shown hostility towards the Muslims here,” Mr. Jark said, before his 8-year-old daughter interrupted and said: “I don’t like him. He’s mean.”

Mr. Osborne, born in 1969, grew up in Weston-super-Mare, England, and moved to Glyn Rhosyn, in an outer district of Cardiff, the Welsh capital, several years ago. His mother, who still lives in Weston-super-Mare, told journalists that her son had a partner and four children, but she declined to discuss the attack.

A nephew, Ellis Osborne, said in a statement on behalf of the family: “We are massively shocked. It’s unbelievable; it still hasn’t really sunk in. We are devastated for the families. Our hearts go out to the people who have been injured.”

Members of the Al-Manar mosque in Cardiff said on Tuesday that they had detected growing anger toward their community after a string of terrorist attacks in recent weeks — one in Manchester and two in London — for which the Islamic State has claimed responsibility.

“Ever since ‘Brexit,’ the messages in the newspapers have been to get rid of Muslims and immigrants, and all the terrorist attacks have been an opportunity for them to reinforce that point,” said Salma Dhae, 28, a trainee lawyer from Cardiff, who attended prayers at the mosque on Tuesday, referring to Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union. “It was only a matter of time before a sick man or woman would act out on that.”

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like he's a regular GBS poster.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wonder what his blood alcohol level was

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

spacetoaster posted:

Wonder what his blood alcohol level was

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ban alcohol.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Shaocaholica posted:

Ban alcohol.

Regulate the media

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Woops belgians prevented another islaming in a train station.

In a classic display of terrorism the attacker ran at soldiers while yelling the akbar and got terminated.
Seems like some explosives went of hurting no one.
Thank god ramadan probably makes them more djihad prone but also weakens them physically and mentally.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

unpacked robinhood posted:

Woops belgians prevented another islaming in a train station.

In a classic display of terrorism the attacker ran at soldiers while yelling the akbar and got terminated.
Seems like some explosives went of hurting no one.
Thank god ramadan probably makes them more djihad prone but also weakens them physically and mentally.

as someone on reddit said, it was a suicide vest, not a homicide vest

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Another Terrorist attack in the great month of Ramadan

This time Flint Michigan airport

http://abcnews.go.com/US/airport-flint-michigan-evacuated-officer-injured/story?id=48183234

Stabbing of officer at Michigan airport being investigated as act of terrorism

quote:

Authorities are investigating the stabbing of an airport police officer at Bishop International Airport in Flint, Michigan, on Wednesday morning, as an act of terrorism, David Gelios of the FBI said Wednesday.

The police officer, Lt. Jeff Neville, was stabbed in the neck, and is in stable condition and expected to fully recover, officials said.

The suspect, who was taken into custody after the incident, was identified as Amor Ftouhi, 49, a Canadian man who legally entered the U.S. in Lake Champlain, New York, on June 16, and later traveled to Flint, Gelios said.

Officials said the suspect was outside the TSA screening area at the time of the attack.

Ftouhi allegedly went into a public restroom, then dropped his bags and "came out, pulled out a knife, yelled 'Allahu Akbar' and stabbed Lt. Neville in the neck," Gelios said.

Gelios said the attacker, armed with a roughly 12-inch knife with an 8-inch serrated blade, "continued to exclaim 'Allah' and he made a statement to the effect of 'you killed people in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan,' and, 'We're all going to die.'"

Officials said Neville got the suspect to stop the attack, and that "Neville never stopped fighting" until the suspect was in handcuffs, which happened within about one minute.

The suspect was interviewed about his motivations and was cooperative, officials said. No one else appears to have been involved and there is no information to suggest a wider plot, officials said.

Canadian police also searched an apartment in Montreal where the suspect is believed to have lived, authorities said.

There's no indication that the suspect spoke to anyone before the attack, but police said they were questioning three people who had been staying at the Montreal residence, according to The Associated Press.

Officials said it appears the suspect "has a hatred for the United States and a variety of other things that motivated him to coming to the airport today to conduct this act of violence."

After the incident, a complaint was filed against the suspect for "violence at an international airport," but officials noted that there could be more charges in the future. The investigation is ongoing as a part of a joint operation with Canada, officials said.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement, "I want to assure all our law enforcement across the nation, any attack on someone who serves and protects our citizens will be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law." He added, "Our prayers are with the officer and his family for a full recovery.”

The airport, which was evacuated and shut down, was later reopened. All passengers were safe amid the investigation, officials said.

An airport official said Wednesday afternoon that Neville is "doing fine" and "resting comfortably" at a hospital.

The FBI said earlier, "We believe this to be an isolated incident" and there is "no specific, credible information that there is a threat to the Flint community."

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder wrote on Twitter, "There is simply no room for senseless acts of violence such as this."

"It is my hope that we can come together as one Michigan in the face of this terrible incident, just as people did today at Bishop Airport," Snyder said. "Even with this attack, we must continue to balance our need for increased security with understanding and tolerance." :laugh:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:ohdear: Oh my gosh an evil Canadian!

Not really.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2017/06/what_we_know_about_amor_ftouhi.html

What we know about Amor Ftouhi, Flint Bishop Airport stabbing suspect

quote:

FLINT, MI - The shackles binding Amor Ftouhi's hands and feet clinked as the U.S. Marshals directed him to his seat in the Flint U.S. District Court late on Wednesday, June 21.

"It is only twenty years or my whole life, this is what I do not understand," Ftouhi said through his spit guard face mask to his attorney, David Kelzer, before the initial appearance hearing began.

Large, red marks on Ftouhi's forehead and a fresh-looking bloodied wound on his elbow were visible before he sat down. An average build and with a graying beard, the Montreal man stood less than 6-feet-tall.

Suspected of stabbing Flint Bishop Airport Police Lt. Jeff Neville in the neck earlier in the day, Ftouhi is detained at the Genesee County Jail on a federal criminal complaint of violence at an international airport.

Here's what we know about Ftouhi, so far:

According to court officials, he is a dual citizen of Canada and Tunisia. A father of three, he has lived with his children and wife in Montreal, Quebec for the past 10 years. It was reported today that Canadian police were investigating an apartment in the St-Michel neighborhood in Montreal in connection to the stabbing attack.

Many of Ftouhi's family members, including his mother and several siblings, live in Tunisia, court officials said. He also has a sister who lives in Switzerland.

He has no self-reported mental or physical issues, court officials said.

Ftouhi works "on and off" as a truck driver and most recently worked two weeks ago, court officials said. He financially qualified for a federally-appointed attorney, U.S. Magistrate Judge Stephanie Dawkins Davis said.

Ftouhi primarily speaks Arabic and French with limited English, his attorney told Davis. However, Davis determined that he understood enough English to proceed through the short hearing without an interpreter.

Ftouhi entered the U.S. in Lake Champlain, New York, on Friday, June 16, and "made his way to Flint," FBI Special Agent David Gelios said during a press conference. Authorities haven't said why he came to Flint.

Ftouhi entered the first-floor lobby at the Bishop Airport at approximately 8:52 a.m. Wednesday, carrying a red duffle and dark satchel bag, traveling up an escalator and spending roughly 20 minutes at the airport restaurant before attacking Neville, officials said. Before he stabbed the lieutenant in the neck, Fthoui entered a restroom with his luggage and left approximately 30 seconds later, carrying no bags.

It was then that he allegedly walked up to the officer, yelled "Allahu Akbar" -- "Allah is the greatest" -- and stabbed him in the neck. After stabbing the officer in the neck, Ftouhi continued to yell, "Allah," several times, followed by something similar to, "You have killed people in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan, and we are all going to die," the FBI's criminal complaint said.

Ftouhi is scheduled to appear next in Flint U.S. District Court on Wednesday, June 28 at 2:30 p.m. He is currently detained in the Genesee County Jail.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Flipmode akbar

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
These terrors all have cool stuff to say when they're terroring. Why can't the white terrorists have some cool one liners?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Allah Allah Allah A" *gets shot/handcuffed/appropriately owned*

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Like if you have a terrorist hiding all you need to do is yell 'takbir!' And they're obligated to give away their position. I bet this would work well fighting IS. Just have micro drones with speakers blasting takbirs and calling in snipers or air strikes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Radical Canadian Terrorism. We must find out what Trudeau knew, and not take regime change off the table.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Say it, don't spray it. :smuggo:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

They're amassing on our border, and they're not sending their best!!!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Should have made him drink the water

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement, "I want to assure all our law enforcement across the nation, any attack on someone who serves and protects our citizens will be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

wow special treatment much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

vyst posted:

Should have made him drink the water

• Locked thread