Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I read through pretty much all of Sweet Tooth today, having bought it during some sale on Comixology awhile ago, and starting it on a flight but never finishing. Anyway, that’s a really good series! The characters were all well-defined with great character growth throughout, and the story goes places I wouldn’t have expected at all. Lemire’s art is as beautiful as ever. Highly recommend.

Lemire is one of those work horses who just has a knack for doing amazing comics. I highly recommend checking out his graphic novels like Essex Country, Underwater Welder, and the Nobody. He had a new one this year called Roughneck which was pretty good too. Also read his Black Hammer series which is one of the best series being published right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I caught up on the newest run of Runaways an for a utterly loving insane to me that it took over a loving DECADE for someone to do a good followup to BKV's run.

It's literally teen drama featuring on the run superheroes. It's not a difficult high concept at all, and only Gillen was able to capture that feel with vol. 2 of YA with a completely different cast. How has NOBODY done it good until now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whedon's run did so much damage that nobody could salvage it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was hoping that Krampus: devil of Christmas would be a good Christmas movie. It wasn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
War of Jokes and Riddles was fuckin good as hell man. That ruled

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Whedon's run did so much damage that nobody could salvage it.

Remind me why his run was so bad? I have the 8 little mini books and don't remember the last one being god awful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Remind me why his run was so bad? I have the 8 little mini books and don't remember the last one being god awful.

I started reading it immediately after a reread of Vaughn's run and the major turn off was him not getting any of the character's voices. Stopped after 2 issues, so I don't know if anything worse happened.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
One big problem with Whedon's run was that the delays killed the book's momentum.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It dropped all the story momentum to go to the past for no reason to tell a shaggy dog story that had delusions of being a Grand Tragic Romance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think adding a time displaced child bride didnt help much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I'm reading irredeemable/incorruptible and like, overall it's engaging enough to keep reading but there are some things in this where it's just readily apparent that waid is an awful person.

Volt is a racist trope, but oh he points out how he's a racist trope so that makes it okay. The Japanese woman channels the ghosts of ancient sword fighters because that's what Japan is all about right?? Modeus is a closeted gay man who kills people because he's in love with the plutonian! Plutonian kidnaps women and dresses them up as his crush so he can get a boner and rape them! Max damage is a pedophile!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

Modeus is a closeted gay man who kills people because he's in love with the plutonian!

I agree with the others, but I didn't think this one was meant to be a Gay Panic thing, it was more like an exaggeration - that often pops up in fandoms - about how the villain is so obsessed with the hero he secretly wants to bone him, like what people say about the Joker or Lex.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Given context of everything else in the book and waid as a person I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't that also basically Katana and Armor's powers?

In comics Japan apparently that just is what they do, between ninja training and Yakuza activities.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d like elaboration on Waid being a lovely person

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

So I'm reading irredeemable/incorruptible and like, overall it's engaging enough to keep reading but there are some things in this where it's just readily apparent that waid is an awful person.

Volt is a racist trope, but oh he points out how he's a racist trope so that makes it okay. The Japanese woman channels the ghosts of ancient sword fighters because that's what Japan is all about right?? Modeus is a closeted gay man who kills people because he's in love with the plutonian! Plutonian kidnaps women and dresses them up as his crush so he can get a boner and rape them! Max damage is a pedophile!

I don't agree with most of these. Volt is meant to be a commentary on how stupid it is virtually every major black character has lightning powers; a Big Theme of Ireedeemable is as a commentary on the tropes that dominate superhero and specifically DC comics, and there's nothing about Volt that's specifically racist over highlighting how tired and lazy writers are with most black characters.

Kaidan is like literally the only main character in Irredeemable who isn't awful in some way, and I thought her power was actually super interesting and unique.

Modeus is not a gay panic character. As Samuringa mentions, he's absolutely 100% Waid commenting on the relationship superheroes and supervillains have,feeding into the demonstrative that runs through Irredeemable specifically of Waid highlighting the elements of superhero stories that he feels worthy of commentary that he can do because he isn't writing a story for the big two.

The Plutonian stuff is like, after he's literally destroyed a country and murdered everyone in it. Its titled Irredeemable for a reason.

The one I agree with you the most on is the Max Damage stuff,and its not helped by how they play Jailbait/pedophilia jokes for laughs,but the main thematic thrust of Incorruptible is trying to highlight how an utterly amoral - not even evil, just does not know what morality is - person approaches being a moral person in the wake of personal enlightenment and after the harm has already been done, so there's a big theme of Jailbait sort of being a living reminder to Max that no matter how much good he does or how good he tries to be moving forward there's a severely broken woman he had a hand in creating hanging around him. Again,its not helped by the jokes they make about it,but Incorruptible is an intentionally more light hearted work than Irredeemable so a lot of it can be blamed on the tone shift not landing as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I don't agree with most of these. Volt is meant to be a commentary on how stupid it is virtually every major black character has lightning powers; a Big Theme of Ireedeemable is as a commentary on the tropes that dominate superhero and specifically DC comics, and there's nothing about Volt that's specifically racist over highlighting how tired and lazy writers are with most black characters.

Kaidan is like literally the only main character in Irredeemable who isn't awful in some way, and I thought her power was actually super interesting and unique.

Modeus is not a gay panic character. As Samuringa mentions, he's absolutely 100% Waid commenting on the relationship superheroes and supervillains have,feeding into the demonstrative that runs through Irredeemable specifically of Waid highlighting the elements of superhero stories that he feels worthy of commentary that he can do because he isn't writing a story for the big two.

The Plutonian stuff is like, after he's literally destroyed a country and murdered everyone in it. Its titled Irredeemable for a reason.

The one I agree with you the most on is the Max Damage stuff,and its not helped by how they play Jailbait/pedophilia jokes for laughs,but the main thematic thrust of Incorruptible is trying to highlight how an utterly amoral - not even evil, just does not know what morality is - person approaches being a moral person in the wake of personal enlightenment and after the harm has already been done, so there's a big theme of Jailbait sort of being a living reminder to Max that no matter how much good he does or how good he tries to be moving forward there's a severely broken woman he had a hand in creating hanging around him. Again,its not helped by the jokes they make about it,but Incorruptible is an intentionally more light hearted work than Irredeemable so a lot of it can be blamed on the tone shift not landing as well.

If Volt is a commentary on anything then its loving awful at it because it literally opens with him acknowledging hes a racist trope like that somehow absolves waid of using it and then volt doesnt do much of anything and then gets unceremoniously killed ten issues in. What is the point? What is waid saying by doing this?

Same for Kaiden. She's not a lovely person like most characters in the book, but was there nothing else waid couldve come up with for her power set other than relying on orientalist tropes of "Japanese, therefore communing with ancient spirits and swords"? What is waid "commenting" on here that necessitated this?

Why does waid have to use a gay panic character who is also a psychotic villain to get this point across?

So the only way to show plutonian was now a bad guy was rape? Like, youre saying that murdering millions of people didnt get the point across, it was only with rape that we got it? It's not even dewelled on in the book as A Big Deal, the reader just gets shown and told that he raped a couple women and the book moves on, never talking about it. That had to be used as a storytelling device? What profound statement is waid making here that legitimizes sexual abuse of women as a throwaway line?

There was nothing else waid couldve done with max, he has to be a pedo to get the point across?

You could call all these deliberate choices commentary if waid was saying anything at all with them, but it doesnt seem to me that he is

E: admittedly im just now at issue 20 for both books, but somehow i dont see any answers to these questions coming soon if at all

E2: oh cool, waid made the trans woman a rapist too

site fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I caught up with the Conan Omnibuses and found out there's no announced release date for the next one so I'm worried Dark Horse just decided to stop giving a poo poo like they did with Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do I need to find that E&C post about how the "black superheroes always have lightning powers" cannard is really dumb or should i wait for him to post it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alaois posted:

do I need to find that E&C post about how the "black superheroes always have lightning powers" cannard is really dumb or should i wait for him to post it

I am not sure what point it would serve but you can do it if you like.

Don't even have to post it in this thread even

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Madkal posted:

I was hoping that Krampus: devil of Christmas would be a good Christmas movie. It wasn't.

Instead of doing that I read Hellboy: Krampusnacht, which is a comic where Adam Hughes draws Hellboy punching out the Krampus. It also has a rare reference to the Fatherland Front, the fascists who ruled Austria in the 30s before the Nazis rolled in. Historically, they're rarely referred to because they were obviously overshadowed.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It was written by Joss Whedon

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 27, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

I was going to bring that up but it seemed kind of irrelevant to site's discussion of Irredeemable/Incorruptible being full of kind of lazy faux-clever archetypes. Whether it's "there is a weird racist stereotype about black characters with lightning powers" or "Mark Waid is lazily assuming there is a weird racist.." doesn't change very much. I didn't want to be seen as nitpicking or trying to undermine site's feelings about the two books; I didn't really care for them either, for many of the same reasons.

Anyway, the Comprehensive List of Black Characters With Lightning Powers, 1977-Present

1. Black Lightning: the lightning-based black superhero created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden
2. Black Vulcan: the character from Super Friends that Filmation used after they realized they'd have to pay Isabella/Von Eeden royalties for using their character under new creator-participation contracts established at DC in the 1970s
3. Juice: the character from Justice League Unlimited Warner Brothers Animation used after they realized they didn't want to pay Isabella/Von Eeden royalties for using Black Lightning, and FIlmation owned Black Vulcan
4. Soul Power: the character from Static Shock that they had to use when they realized they couldn't use Black Lightning or Black Vulcan
5. Static: an unrelated character outside of a shared power set and the possible influence to include an electricity based hero into the Milestone universe launch as a nod to Black Lightning? Maybe?
6. Lightning: the lightning-lady daughter of Black Lightning created by Alex Ross for Kingdom Come
7. Black Power: The Earth-3 Black Lightning
8. Volt, the Mark Waid Incorruptible character that is an explicit take on the joke "all them black characters with electrical powers "
9. Coldcast, a guy from the Elite. I don't know if this was a reference to Black Lightning but this is the same writer/run that officially brought Apache Chief into the DCU so you never know.
10. Thunder Fall, one of a team of African super villains that appeared in like half an issue of Batwing.
10a. Electro was black in the film Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Of the ten (or eleven) black superheroes with electrical powers, seven (potentially eight) are explicit analogues/spin-offs of Black Lightning. It would be like making a list of Superman, Superboy, Eradicator, Superboy Prime, Supergirl, Superwoman, Super Turtle, Mon-El, Valor, Sunshine Superman, Superduperman, Stupidman, Ultraman, Bizarro, Supreme, Lady Supreme, Hyperion, Gladiator, Kid Gladiator, Omniman, Homelander, the High, Mister Majestic, and Martian Manhunter, and wonder aloud why all aliens are white dudes with capes. Which might have happened in Irredeemable, I forget.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I caught up with the Conan Omnibuses and found out there's no announced release date for the next one so I'm worried Dark Horse just decided to stop giving a poo poo like they did with Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

:raise:

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3003-027/Conan-Omnibus-Volume-4-TPB

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Edge & Christian posted:

I was going to bring that up but it seemed kind of irrelevant to site's discussion of Irredeemable/Incorruptible being full of kind of lazy faux-clever archetypes. Whether it's "there is a weird racist stereotype about black characters with lightning powers" or "Mark Waid is lazily assuming there is a weird racist.." doesn't change very much. I didn't want to be seen as nitpicking or trying to undermine site's feelings about the two books; I didn't really care for them either, for many of the same reasons.

Anyway, the Comprehensive List of Black Characters With Lightning Powers, 1977-Present

1. Black Lightning: the lightning-based black superhero created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden
2. Black Vulcan: the character from Super Friends that Filmation used after they realized they'd have to pay Isabella/Von Eeden royalties for using their character under new creator-participation contracts established at DC in the 1970s
3. Juice: the character from Justice League Unlimited Warner Brothers Animation used after they realized they didn't want to pay Isabella/Von Eeden royalties for using Black Lightning, and FIlmation owned Black Vulcan
4. Soul Power: the character from Static Shock that they had to use when they realized they couldn't use Black Lightning or Black Vulcan
5. Static: an unrelated character outside of a shared power set and the possible influence to include an electricity based hero into the Milestone universe launch as a nod to Black Lightning? Maybe?
6. Lightning: the lightning-lady daughter of Black Lightning created by Alex Ross for Kingdom Come
7. Black Power: The Earth-3 Black Lightning
8. Volt, the Mark Waid Incorruptible character that is an explicit take on the joke "all them black characters with electrical powers "
9. Coldcast, a guy from the Elite. I don't know if this was a reference to Black Lightning but this is the same writer/run that officially brought Apache Chief into the DCU so you never know.
10. Thunder Fall, one of a team of African super villains that appeared in like half an issue of Batwing.
10a. Electro was black in the film Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Of the ten (or eleven) black superheroes with electrical powers, seven (potentially eight) are explicit analogues/spin-offs of Black Lightning. It would be like making a list of Superman, Superboy, Eradicator, Superboy Prime, Supergirl, Superwoman, Super Turtle, Mon-El, Valor, Sunshine Superman, Superduperman, Stupidman, Ultraman, Bizarro, Supreme, Lady Supreme, Hyperion, Gladiator, Kid Gladiator, Omniman, Homelander, the High, Mister Majestic, and Martian Manhunter, and wonder aloud why all aliens are white dudes with capes. Which might have happened in Irredeemable, I forget.

Not trying to argue but could it be that this notion got popular since there are far fewer prominent black superheroes around, at least until the 2005s or so(there wasn't a racial revolution or anything, but at least people are realizing other races exist)? In raw numbers yea, there's only a dozen or so, but in the percentage that might be different.

And have you ever done a list such as this but regarding asian characters? I was wondering about that one, they probably are featured even less than the african-americans.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh cool, it just wasn't on Amazon I guess.

But my point still stands about Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Samuringa posted:

Not trying to argue but could it be that this notion got popular since there are far fewer prominent black superheroes around, at least until the 2005s or so(there wasn't a racial revolution or anything, but at least people are realizing other races exist)? In raw numbers yea, there's only a dozen or so, but in the percentage that might be different. And have you ever done a list such as this but regarding asian characters? I was wondering about that one, they probably are featured even less than the african-americans.
Asian characters have a much higher percentage of their powers/personas based on like... martial arts, samurai swords, ancestor warrior spirits, etc. In terms of black superheroes, never mind 2005, prior to Black Lighting's debut in 1977 you've already got Black Panther, Falcon, Luke Cage, Gabe Jones, Misty Knight, John Stewart, Storm, Misty Knight, Bronze Tiger, Brother Voodoo, Bill Foster, Deathlok, Tyroc, Mal Duncan, Flipper Dipper, Vykin the Black, Rocket Racer, Prowler, and a number of black antagonists like Man-Ape, Moses Magnum, Diamondback, Chemistro, Nightshade, etc. etc.

By 2005 you'd added dozens if not hundreds of other characters. Out of that list I posted, half of them never appeared in actual comic books, just in other media and as one-off characters in a couple of cases. In terms of regularly appearing black superheroes, the list of Electrical Guys is:

- Black Lightning
- Lightning, Black Lightning's daughter
- Static, one character out of the entire Milestone line which was majority African-American/non-white heroes with a wide variety of powers
- Coldcast
- Volt, commenting on the preponderance of the characters above.

I think anyone reading comics can come up with twice as many ninja off the top of their head as that list.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Please tell me superduperman is a real character

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superduperman was a parody from Mad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed now

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed now

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

He was the inspiration for either Alan Moore's take on Miracleman or Watchmen. I can't remember which.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was the inspiration for either Alan Moore's take on Miracleman or Watchmen. I can't remember which.

It's both. Superduperman blew little Alan Moore's mind.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Wheat Loaf posted:

The early Mad stuff is pretty great in general. DC did a great 4 volume set of that stuff, highly recommended.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh cool, it just wasn't on Amazon I guess.

But my point still stands about Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service!

I'm really excited for the next volume of Berserk to come out a full year after its Japanese release, as per usual.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's the Wally Wood one?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just accidentally stumbled across a complete comic adaptation of the Bible and it's actually pretty awesome from what I can see.

Like, that's art from the book.

It's definitely made by Christians for Christians, but the art looks actually pretty awesome and there are some stories in the Bible that are just entertaining. I'm Catholic, but I normally avoid the by Christians for Christian stuff because it's always very preachy and sometimes sort of messed up. I'm not going to buy it, but that hardest shockingly awesome that art is shockingly Awesome for a biblical comic.

It's weird. During their ad on YouTube, they go " action, adventure, Romance!" And it's like, yeah, that is the bible, never thought of it that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vincent posted:

That's the Wally Wood one?

Yep, that's the one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

I'm Catholic, but I normally avoid the by Christians for Christian stuff

I'm not religious at all, but I usually find the grungy takes on biblical matter really entertaining.
Not knowing exactly how you feel, I dunno if these would be interesting or terribly offensive, but have you tried Jason Aaron's The Goddamned? https://www.comixology.com/The-Goddamned/comics-series/57862 It's a brutal action comic set in a super ugly pre-flood Earth. Sort of like if that Noah movie was ten times harsher.
Boom has a new series about Judas https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/boom-studios/judas I haven't tried it yet, but it's been well reviewed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 28, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy 95th birthday to Stan Lee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It was originally Kirby's but he stole the date

• Locked thread