Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Oscar Wild posted:

The male prescient supersedes the female, like how Jessica and all the reverend mothers can interact with the female memories, but the men are inscrutable. At least that's how I interpret it. Men can sense men and women but women are limited in their memories. Or it is simply a plot device.

I think it's that reverend mothers can only talk to female ancestors. Abominations can talk to both (like how Alia can interact with her grandfather). Also the distinction is made between prescients (the Atreides line) and those who can recall ancestral memories (all the BG reverend mothers). Ghanima and Leto just happened to have both abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thread inspired me.

also lmao at the sheer number of Brian and KJA Dune hardcovers marked down to like $3 each

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

thread inspired me.

also lmao at the sheer number of Brian and KJA Dune hardcovers marked down to like $3 each

Even The Whipping Star/The Dosadi Experiment or the Jesus Incident series, which are basically off-brand Dune, are a hundred times more Dune than the KJA/BH tripe.

I also recommend The Dragon In The Sea, probably my favorite Herbert work aside from Dune.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I like how Frank Herbert has his own font

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I also recommend The Dragon In The Sea, probably my favorite Herbert work aside from Dune.

Your av is great. :)

He wrote really good creepy/horror science fiction, too. Hellstrom's Hive is probably my favorite non-Dune book of his, had some great moments and a sense of mounting dread (tempered with dark humor).

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

phasmid posted:

Your av is great. :)

He wrote really good creepy/horror science fiction, too. Hellstrom's Hive is probably my favorite non-Dune book of his, had some great moments and a sense of mounting dread (tempered with dark humor).

How do we set it as a tag?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

you just buy it as an av.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I will recommend The White Plague by Frank Herbert. I really liked it when I read it nearly twenty years ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Even The Whipping Star/The Dosadi Experiment or the Jesus Incident series, which are basically off-brand Dune, are a hundred times more Dune than the KJA/BH tripe.

I'm partial to The Heaven Makers because it's like James Cameron's Avatar only super short and humans want to deal with aliens instead of conquer them and some of the characters aren't assholes and oh hey here's a few pages about our insane faith-created demon that collectively reflects all of our worshipers at once who appears every time we gather to worship no big that's just how it is everything else is fine.

One thing with those two Dune mini-series, the casting was so weird. Like a lot of folks in it were great, and the cast in general are all talented people but, like, drat. Like the two guys who played Stilgar are both great actors but :laffo: like what about either of them even remotely is like the Stilgar in the books. Ian McNiece deserved to play the Baron in a better adaptation. Children of Dune really is so much better than the first though, they even got a different composer to do a much better soundtrack.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Having stumbled upon this thread and reading it all in one sitting, I'm amazed that it came from GBS. Quality thread, voted 5, I'll probably be looking up Whipping Star at the local library.

Ahem, IMO: Dune was a standalone classic, it's been years since I've read Messiah, but all I remember is thinking "Where the gently caress is Paul?!". I think Children properly had characters I cared about (and firmly killed Paul, waaah), but I think I'm the only guy on earth who really really Enjoyed, and still Enjoys, God Emperor. It's such a wild take on the golden path and noble despot thing and I loved how it's basically just another standalone novel all over again.

This thread has had a lot of good takes on Herbert's sources, and books are often much better when knowing their context (See: Catcher in the Rye, gently caress that boring book), so cheers for that.

Now, back to talking about WormDicks.

vvvvvEdit: Everyone I know IRL hates it, and I got the impression that goons where like "It's got huge plot holes, but hey remember that time in Messiah..."

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 7, 2018

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Serephina posted:

Having stumbled upon this thread and reading it all in one sitting, I'm amazed that it came from GBS. Quality thread, voted 5, I'll probably be looking up Whipping Star at the local library.

Ahem, IMO: Dune was a standalone classic, it's been years since I've read Messiah, but all I remember is thinking "Where the gently caress is Paul?!". I think Children properly had characters I cared about (and firmly killed Paul, waaah), but I think I'm the only guy on earth who really really Enjoyed, and still Enjoys, God Emperor. It's such a wild take on the golden path and noble despot thing and I loved how it's basically just another standalone novel all over again.

This thread has had a lot of good takes on Herbert's sources, and books are often much better when knowing their context (See: Catcher in the Rye, gently caress that boring book), so cheers for that.

Now, back to talking about WormDicks.

How do you think you're the only God Emperor fanatic if you read the whole thread? It's practically goonsensus.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Books 1-4 are great, though 4 is seperate. Read 5 & 6 at your whim.

Read no farther, for it is bad. Like, bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm glad you like this thread, i've tried to make it a few times over the years since the foundation of gbs 2.0 and one fizzled and died and I killed the other one by being a huge idiot so the fact the Dune thread has finally worked out more or less makes me pretty happy.

And yeah goons in this thread seem to agree with you that God Emperor is good. I can't speak for a wider consensus, though. I don't read TBB or anywhere else opinions might be solicited. I know I loving love it.

Generally it seems like people either think Dune is the only good one, or 1-4 are good, and your mileage varies on 5-6, as phasmid says.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Defiance Industries posted:

They fall into the trap of "women use sex to control men and make them do things!"

Don't get bent out of shape but that happens a lot in real life. It's not the dynamic governing all relationships but it happens.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

basic hitler posted:

I'm glad you like this thread, i've tried to make it a few times over the years since the foundation of gbs 2.0 and one fizzled and died and I killed the other one by being a huge idiot so the fact the Dune thread has finally worked out more or less makes me pretty happy.

And yeah goons in this thread seem to agree with you that God Emperor is good. I can't speak for a wider consensus, though. I don't read TBB or anywhere else opinions might be solicited. I know I loving love it.

Generally it seems like people either think Dune is the only good one, or 1-4 are good, and your mileage varies on 5-6, as phasmid says.

5 and 6 have good moments, like the revelations on Tleilaxu society and just wtf Axlotl tanks are. Revealing it at the same time they reveal the sisters have been turning each other into them for their own purposes is masterful.

Then you have all the brain syphilis ideas like sex ninjas and whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I can agree with 1-4 are good, 5&6 have good.

BUT

1 is a thing all it's own, is perfect without any of them, and if definitely the best.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune has several ideas, and several themes they all come together and weave into a singular masterful book thats' part sci-fi, part philosophy, and even a treatise on theology. It's a novel that tries to reach through multiple disciplines and modes of thought to construct its universe and it succeeds wildly at it.

The other books narrow their ideas and themes to one or two at a time, giving them a tighter focus in exchange for something lost.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Amarcarts posted:

Don't get bent out of shape but that happens a lot in real life. It's not the dynamic governing all relationships but it happens.

When you make it a cornerstone of a pan-galactic millennia-long conspiracy it starts to feel like you might have issues.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Amarcarts posted:

What a strange response to that criticism of a work of fiction.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Amarcarts posted:

Lol. I also apply this dynamic to interplanetary politics.

No Hope
Oct 15, 2017

by Smythe

basic hitler posted:

Imagine being so hosed up that you kidnap your 9 year old grandson and have your family goon force feed him a substance that will potentially permanently wreck his psyche.

Yeah...but is it all that different from circumcision? *sigh* white people

No Hope
Oct 15, 2017

by Smythe
Also which Dune book has the butch lesbian soldier lady having an orgasm from watching Duncan Idaho climb a wall?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

No Hope posted:

Also which Dune book has the butch lesbian soldier lady having an orgasm from watching Duncan Idaho climb a wall?

God emperor

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

No Hope posted:

All of them. Everybody is having orgasms watching Duncan Idaho do stuff.

No Hope
Oct 15, 2017

by Smythe
women having orgasms? this really is sci fi

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
God Emperor owns. 400 pages of like four characters wandering around having a conversation and it's somehow awesome, I love it.

Sci-Fi was developing an attempt at adapting it, that would have been "amazing."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A tv adaptation of God emperor should be centered on Moneo. It opens up with him waking up in a sweat, he's just recieved reports that sionna has successfully stolen some of Leto's journals.

He gets dressed and goes about his day, finally entering the chamber of the God Emperor, where it turns into My Dinner With Andre

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would watch that until my eyes burned out of their sockets

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it would could be so good

No Hope
Oct 15, 2017

by Smythe
Which frank Herbert book is where they're crashed on a horrible jungle planet that just relentlessly tries to kill you every second and they're trying to get to a hab sphere and it's super intense. I like that one

No Hope
Oct 15, 2017

by Smythe
It was raining constantly and slowly driving everyone insane.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That was Ray Bradbury.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

phasmid posted:

That was Ray Bradbury.

Ray Bradbury is way underrated as a writer. "The Illustrated Man" is one of the best selection of short stories in American literature.

No Hope
Oct 15, 2017

by Smythe
Oh poo poo that's right it was Bradbury. He's so good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Which story was that?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Which story was that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Rain

On Venus.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
"Crashed on a horrible planet that's constantly trying to kill you" does sound a lot like Herbert's Jesus Incident though.

Also that book, The Dosadi Experiment and Dune all shared the theme of a very dangerous and stressful life creating powerful people out of the few who manage to survive.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi first time long time

do guild heighliners travel through space instantaneously no matter the distance, or do they warp space like star trek and it takes longer to go farther ?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The second option I always thought; there's some flight time at the start of Dune when Paul's a kid, and the whole 'using spice to enable us to pilot around things so we don't hit them' implies corrective courses rather than plotting a chart and pressing a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aside from space-folding, do they even have engines or do they literally just fold to a spot in orbit and hang out there without moving at all?