Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ugh, fineee, I guess I'll actually progress the story until I have the airship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Once I have all the researches (and max level) of a building there isn't any point to keeping personnel in it right? And I should move those guys over to production buildings or other research buildings?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Once I have all the researches (and max level) of a building there isn't any point to keeping personnel in it right? And I should move those guys over to production buildings or other research buildings?

There's no point in having people in a building if they aren't doing research period. You want people gathering if they're not researching UNLESS they have a skill you can see you're going to need mastered in the future for research, in which case stick them in the experience boost building.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Correct.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

Ugh, fineee, I guess I'll actually progress the story until I have the airship.

Is this the recommended thing to do? I just got to Chapter 5 after putting the game down for Far Cry, and I believe I'm about to get a boat. I've been clearing out the Tainted monsters I walked past earlier and doing sidequests to get more people for the Glorious Tyranny of Evan

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

Is this the recommended thing to do? I just got to Chapter 5 after putting the game down for Far Cry, and I believe I'm about to get a boat. I've been clearing out the Tainted monsters I walked past earlier and doing sidequests to get more people for the Glorious Tyranny of Evan

No if you're enjoying recruiting people and building your kingdom feel free to take it slow. Just once you get to the end of chapter 6, progress the plot a little bit more to get the airship rather than immediately going to the new sidequests. That's the point where it will start being super helpful anyway as you'll need to go to areas that can't be accessed otherwise to complete said quests.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They will still gain EXP while in any building, and personally I really could not be bothered to micromanage optimal gathering setups every single time I do something in the kingdom, but yes, there's no other reason not to reassign.

I really appreciate the game being very straight up with telling me "this next plot event will lock you out of normal gameplay for a while, do all your side poo poo now" in chapter 7, you don't often see that kind of courtesy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It doesn't lock you out for all that long, either.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

They will still gain EXP while in any building, and personally I really could not be bothered to micromanage optimal gathering setups every single time I do something in the kingdom, but yes, there's no other reason not to reassign.

I really appreciate the game being very straight up with telling me "this next plot event will lock you out of normal gameplay for a while, do all your side poo poo now" in chapter 7, you don't often see that kind of courtesy.

I'd just remove people from their buildings and then hammer triangle on the gathering spots to make it automatically assign idle people to them. :effort:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't even know about the Triangle shortcut, I've been manually moving everyone around :negative:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

precision posted:

Having just done the opposite, I would still actually recommend this, yes. Chapters 5 and 6 are both not too long and you get new party members who will be annoyingly underleveled if you do every possible side activity before moving on, not to mention terribly behind on all the spell developing and equipment fronts and other such nonsense. Although that doesn't mean you'd need to singlemindedly rush the main story. Just don't dawdle too long, I don't think the game expects you to do that.

E: oh my god there's an autoassign function, I tried that once 30 hours ago, thought "eh, i can do this myself" and completely disregarded it. what the gently caress that makes it so much easier to just slam people into facilities

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
fyi if you're having trouble getting the sequential invaders in evermore skirmish to show up after each one if you teleport to evermore castle, save, reload, then teleport to world map it shows up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As noted I'm still pretty early on so I don't know if this is possible, but I seriously hope for a NnK3 where you play as a group of rebels who fight to overthrow God-Emperor Evan, and along the way you fight older versions of this game's party members as sub-bosses.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Nnk2 is definitely one of the most ripe alt storyline games since FFTA and Marche's quest to destroy the world

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd just remove people from their buildings and then hammer triangle on the gathering spots to make it automatically assign idle people to them. :effort:

I wonder what that keypress is on the PC?
That said gathering stuff seems pointless anyway other than maybe for quests (like with the socktopus)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Taear posted:

I wonder what that keypress is on the PC?
That said gathering stuff seems pointless anyway other than maybe for quests (like with the socktopus)

Select personnel and you'll see a thing at the bottom labeled "Recommended".

As for gathering it's really more for stuff like spells and weapons. There's no other good way to get the high quantities of materials you need.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since I'm having a hard time sort of "reading" the action in skirmishes: is it worth having an archer unit around? I usually find that I have a tough time keeping the archers out of danger because I often need to rotate so the units adjacent to them can attack something. The problem is that I can't really tell how much damage the archers are actually doing and whether it'd just be more useful for me to have a fourth melee unit around.

I'm most of the way through the game and so far I've mostly just gotten through skirmishes by holding square and mashing shock tactics, but if I can save some military might by not having to revive my fragile archers quite as often that might be nice :v:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Nnk2 is definitely one of the most ripe alt storyline games since FFTA and Marche's quest to destroy the world

I haven't finished the game yet but I feel like it kind of swings back and forth between portraying the whole thing as fantasy United Nations and portraying it as Evan becoming king of the whole world

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 10, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ranged units are good, but if your archers are taking too many hits then try some shieldbearers instead. Or maybe try Min Ti's rifle squad, which has the ability to detach from your formation for a little while.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I hit platinum last night and I did every skirmish with melee units, usually 2x red 1x blue and 1x green or 2x blue 1x red 1x green for monster heavy skirmishes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The counter to archers appears to be walls, in that if there is a wall in the vicinity, my archers will prioritize it, even if it’s behind me and my melee units are currently engaged in a ferocious battle in the front

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Does this game get much more interesting past chapter 6? I've been feeling increasingly less interested in the game after really liking it initially and if the story doesn't get better or anything I think I am just gonna drop it here.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

chapter 7 is good but the story drops off at the end of chapter 5 and never really recovers

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I thought the only time the game's story was at all interesting was like the very first 30 minutes. It hasn't been unpleasant at any point either, though. Just very very... standard.

E: Oh my god I've gone like 20 game hours, and most of my kingdom built, without the "cheaper buildings" research option because I thought I didn't have anyone with the ability required, when it turns out it's just that loving lumberjack guy who I adamantly refused to remove from the lumberyard and somehow never looked at the skill name of.

I can honestly see myself never noticing that until I've got literally all of the citizens and begin to wonder if I maybe missed something. Oh jesus.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 10, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My very last research item was the final research cost reduction, for similar reasons.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Other than the passive skills people get does it matter at all who you put in the gathering jobs? It doesn't actually list a related ability so I'm assuming anyone is as good as anybody else.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If there's another difference, I've never noticed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want to build an empire where everyone will be happy!

My definition of "happy" is "everyone must slave away 24/7 finding me spools of thread and monster bones"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

I want to build an empire where everyone will be happy!

My definition of "happy" is "everyone must slave away 24/7 finding me spools of thread and monster bones"

All must contribute to the well being of the state

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Im an apprentice smith and I really want to live up to my dead grandmas hope of me of becoming a great at the job just like her!"

"Of course of course! We have the finest smiths in the world that you can mentor under! You'll be great in no time"

*Immediately forced to live for the rest of his life inside a mine"

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 11, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Evan works himself to the bone tracking down random bullshit for everyone in the world. It's only fair.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As you can see people who you have stationed somewhere walk around the town freely while still doing their jobs, I never got the impression you were slavedriving them. It's a good touch, because a game as idealistic as this really does want to avoid that implication.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

They're searching for bones and rocks and scraps of cloth and poo poo not just wandering around

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

As you can see people who you have stationed somewhere walk around the town freely while still doing their jobs, I never got the impression you were slavedriving them. It's a good touch, because a game as idealistic as this really does want to avoid that implication.

I like to imagine every time they give me an item it's a bribe so I won't double their hours.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What should I be doing with my higgledies? I don't really get what most of the poo poo listed int he party tab does, and I see that a certain amount of a certain color of higgledie will power up my skills but I don't know how to do that. Is there any rhyme or reason to what makes a good higgledy team comp?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Agent355 posted:

What should I be doing with my higgledies? I don't really get what most of the poo poo listed int he party tab does, and I see that a certain amount of a certain color of higgledie will power up my skills but I don't know how to do that. Is there any rhyme or reason to what makes a good higgledy team comp?

I don't think there's really any need to put much thought into them, beyond making sure they all have different personalities and skills you want.

It's honestly probably optimal to just bring 4 that have the healing skill because nothing else they do seems nearly as consistently useful as that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My last research was the boat house stuff because lmao why does it even exist?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I haven't really paid any attention to trying to match higgledy colors with my party members' skills. If you stand near higgledies, you can hold down a skill button to absorb higgledies and power up the skill, but if you're using your skills at 100% zing like you should be (just for MP efficiency if nothing else) then you're getting the upgraded versions anyway.

You can scroll through a higgledy's abilities in the party menu, and in my opinion the most impactful one is the third page, which is the ability the higgledy uses when they get their little circle and you can activate them. Just pick ones that sound useful, like cannons or healing or things like that. Some later higgledies can do things like summon minions that fight alongside you and things like that, which is fun.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The plot in chapter 6 feels really weirdly paced. We spend some time in dog town doing some investigation and following up on stuff before the plot comes to a head. Then we go to fish town and have to do some stuff. But I just show up in hipsterville and instantly we're seeing some climax with no build up. Its real odd.

Game is cool and good tho.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Goldpaw has two chapters dealing with it, the other kingdoms only have one. Also a weird design choice, I think, is to place Broadleaf right next to the landing point on Autumnia and make 95% of the continent completely optional to walk over. I get that they probably had plans to put other stuff there or something, but in the absence of that would just making you land further away from broadleaf, say, at the northern edge of the continent, been much to ask for? Would naturally pace that chapter out much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To a certain degree I sort of get it from a writing perspective--in Broadleaf, things were going to come to a head whether the party showed up or not. And it's kind of an inversion of the previous story arcs, where things go nuts before the dungeon crawl.

It's very weird in a story pacing sense, though.

• Locked thread