Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I have made an important discovery at dragoncon. I am taller than Charles Guan from Overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Great Beer posted:

I have made an important discovery at dragoncon. I am taller than Charles Guan from Overhaul.

With or without cat ear headphones?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Beta was the only hammer I recall ever doing any visible damage to anything, and that includes the arena pulverizers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Blacksmith and Warhead was mildly fun to watch, like two toddlers fighting with pool noodles.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Madurai posted:

Beta was the only hammer I recall ever doing any visible damage to anything, and that includes the arena pulverizers.

I feel like the hammers were way more powerful in the Comedy Central version

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They could one shot lower weight classes. But at this weight class, only the screws are dangerous for being able to get ring outs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oh jay posted:

They could one shot lower weight classes. But at this weight class, only the screws are dangerous for being able to get ring outs.

The arena floor is more dangerous in this version if only because it can trap bots long enough for their opponent to score a hit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Free Shipping seems to lose in the most spectacular ways possible.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

And next week has HUGE!!! We are living in a golden age of bots.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Free Shipping seems to lose in the most spectacular ways possible.

Yeah, I'm always happy to see it appear on the card. I'm not rooting for it to win but I'm happy to watch it explode over and over. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RBA Starblade posted:

Hammers in general seem largely useless against bots compared to literally anything else.

Flamethrowers seem massively overhyped and pretty useless too. Maybe if they could do "sticky liquid" type flamethrowers they'd be more use.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what the gently caress hasn't anybody strapped a cutting torch on the front of a bot yet

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

logikv9 posted:

what the gently caress hasn't anybody strapped a cutting torch on the front of a bot yet

Flame weapons are limited to propane and butane or blends of the two. It's also difficult to make the other bot sit still.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Flames seem better as a way to obscure the vision of the opponent than as an actual method of damage.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Flames seem better as a way to obscure the vision of the opponent than as an actual method of damage.

And now the next seasons meta is going to be having a drone flying in front of the opposing players box and obscuring their vision with flames.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

There's a lot of rules when it comes to weapons. Most of which are there to keep the battlebox itself from getting too hosed up. Even though, it's obviously taking a beating this season. You can even see damage on the glass during the intro bit of the last episode...

Although, I think only Tombstone and SOW are the only 2 to do significant damage to the box...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's a lot of rules when it comes to weapons. Most of which are there to keep the battlebox itself from getting too hosed up. Even though, it's obviously taking a beating this season. You can even see damage on the glass during the intro bit of the last episode...

Although, I think only Tombstone and SOW are the only 2 to do significant damage to the box...

Jamie Hyneman (the Mythbuster with the mustache) was given a championship once because the couldn't let him compete anymore because his gas-powered spinner embedded shrapnel of an opponent deeply in the battlebox. They were afraid if they let him continue he might put pieces of other robots completely through the arena.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nightmare also got most of the Comedy Central season 5 rumbles cancelled when one of its teeth ripped out at full speed, punctured the roof of the box, and hit someone in the audience.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Apparently we weren't quite done after the Bite Force match.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

MikeNCR posted:

There's a rumour all over the reddit that this episode has a really lovely judges decision somewhere in it. I don't know what it is, but can make some educated guesses, and I can't wait to see the future replies!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The fact that battlebots uploaded a video explaining the way rumbles are judged today is pretty telling of which match it might be in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MikeNCR posted:

SO does Last Chance Rumble have all 6 bots in it at once

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

SO does Last Chance Rumble have all 6 bots in it at once

That’s how it it works in pro wrestling. I hope Duck wins it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A 6 bot rumble is bound to have an unpopular judges decision in it. I can't imagine the other one going to a judge decision since they are all Vertical spinners / drums.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I am kinda curious how Bombshell ended up in there at all, its not exactly impressed this year. Or even come close. Kraken or Petunia seem like they'd have been better choices. Maybe even warrior dragon if they could keep it working for more than 30 seconds. Only thing I can come up with is that its one of the few robots with enough spare parts left to do another (potentially) 5 fights.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

I am kinda curious how Bombshell ended up in there at all, its not exactly impressed this year. Or even come close. Kraken or Petunia seem like they'd have been better choices. Maybe even warrior dragon if they could keep it working for more than 30 seconds. Only thing I can come up with is that its one of the few robots with enough spare parts left to do another (potentially) 5 fights.

Yeah, as with the US vs. the world exhibition episode, they're probably just throwing together anyone who can still fight.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm hyped as gently caress for huge vs icewave

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It will probably be a 1 hit fight... Giant horizontal spinning bar vs Giant vertical spinning bar should be quite interesting...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Did Tombstone get knocked out or is he just not in this week's ep?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ConfusedUs posted:

Did Tombstone get knocked out or is he just not in this week's ep?

He's done his 4 fights. This isn't the tournament.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yep, tournament starts next week.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Edit: removed

halokiller fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 14, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Today's episode is great.

That Huge v. Icewave fight was crazy and yet not totally unexpected. Also, wow, go Bombshell, that was a great rumble. I can see why some folks might think it should've gone to Duck but it seemed like a close call.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Rexxed posted:

That Huge v. Icewave fight was crazy and yet not totally unexpected. Also, wow, go Bombshell, that was a great rumble. I can see why some folks might think it should've gone to Duck but it seemed like a close call.

Still technically under the NDA till the show airs on Discovery, but I think it's safe to say that a close read of the judging rules makes the result pretty straightforward, even if that doesn't make people like it.

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/BattleBots-Tournament-Rules.2018.Rev-1.01.pdf (7.6.1 on page 31)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
huge vs icewave went over exactly how i would've imagined, in that i knew that one of them would be entirely hosed up by the end. rip huge, looks like horizontal spinners really can gently caress up those wheels.

also that decision, while entirely within the rules, is awful

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's two bots icewave has ripped in half now.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
That was nowhere near as bad as I was fearing. It really did seem like the correct call. Congrats MikeNCR! Sorry that I'm still cheering for Tombstone next match. :)

RIP in pieces HUGE. I first thought the judges decision was going to be that fight. I could easily imagine ICEwave cutting a few chunks out of HUGE's wheels, then HUGE takes out the ICE engine. Then ICEwave spends 3 minutes pushing around a less-mobile-than-usual HUGE and winning a decision.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gun to the head, I prob go with Duck there

Huge v Icewave was extremely fun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like giving duck the W would encourage boring rumbles where everybody tries to avoid combat, so giving bombshell the win for giving two big shots makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rexxed posted:

Also, wow, go Bombshell, that was a great rumble. I can see why some folks might think it should've gone to Duck but it seemed like a close call.

Yeah same, Duck may have lasted the distance and performed some good tactical moves in pushing its opponents into each other's weapons but it's still just a glorified wedge and it just ran around booping snoots and not really doing anything else.

• Locked thread