Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the last 3 seasons will come out at a much faster pace compared to the previous hiatus (though unfortunately it seems we’re stuck with 9 episodes per season the whole way through)

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/11/03/the-dragon-prince-season-5-confirmed-release-will-be-much-faster-says-staff/?amp=1

Based on some of his dialogue in episode 2 I wonder if there’s a chance for a Viren redemption arc eventually as well (I haven’t finished the season yet though so things might change in that regard)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Aaravos only shows up in 'person' for one scene the whole season and it's to bully children and kiss us goodbye.

Best elf :allears:

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 5, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Larryb posted:

So Rayla’s VA isn’t naturally Scottish then? Could have fooled me

Actual Scottish people have complained about her a lot that I've seen.

I think she passes my "I'm not from Scotland but talk to a lot of Scottish people" test though where she's at least 90% competent, where the main errors you'd pick up on if you actually live there, but otherwise she sounds decent. But an Australian pronouncing "after" the way someone from the north of england would like Terry did instead of the way someone from the south of england would is a real big error tbh.

That said - American stuff using different accents to denote "I'm from a different place" is SO UNBELIEVABLY RARE that I'm still glad it's a thing.

I still wish they had a reasonable amount of episodes. 9 per series is poo poo. Like it's actually poo poo, it hurts the show. I'm not saying "You cannot tell a story in only 9 episodes" but I'm saying "the story they want to tell feels really rushed when condensed this badly"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tbh I feel that this season was actually pretty good at telling the story they wanted to over 9 episodes. It really felt like a season 4 part 1 arc. Though I do agree they should have at least 3 more per season. But I also feel that way about a few other animated shows, such as Lower Decks.

BoJack Horseman should be the template for shows like this, 12 episodes a season (except the final but gently caress Netflix for that one) with the 11th being the pinnacle

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

Actual Scottish people have complained about her a lot that I've seen.

I think she passes my "I'm not from Scotland but talk to a lot of Scottish people" test though where she's at least 90% competent, where the main errors you'd pick up on if you actually live there, but otherwise she sounds decent. But an Australian pronouncing "after" the way someone from the north of england would like Terry did instead of the way someone from the south of england would is a real big error tbh.

That said - American stuff using different accents to denote "I'm from a different place" is SO UNBELIEVABLY RARE that I'm still glad it's a thing.

I still wish they had a reasonable amount of episodes. 9 per series is poo poo. Like it's actually poo poo, it hurts the show. I'm not saying "You cannot tell a story in only 9 episodes" but I'm saying "the story they want to tell feels really rushed when condensed this badly"

As someone else mentioned she was actually born in Scotland and despite being raised in Canada was probably around enough Scottish people to at least fake an accent well enough but I can see why a native would have a problem with it. Out of curiosity though, has said actress ever been in anything else where she used her natural speaking voice?

As I said above we’re apparently sticking to the 9 episodes per season rule for the rest of the series unfortunately but at least production seems to have picked back up again so we shouldn’t have as long a wait for the next one

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 5, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

According to the cast list Paula Burrows also voices Opeli, so that might be closer to her everyday accent

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

According to the cast list Paula Burrows also voices Opeli, so that might be closer to her everyday accent

Huh didn’t know that, there you go then (apparently she’s not the only double dipper in the cast as Jason Simpson voices both Viren and Barius and in addition to voicing Callum Jack De Sena also provides the noises for both Zym and Bait)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 5, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I mean, when it arrived, I literally... Let's just say these aren't the same trousers I wore to work this morning. lol.

Also, I enjoyed Viren's reactions to meeting Terry.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 5, 2022

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Larryb posted:

As someone else mentioned she was actually born in Scotland and despite being raised in Canada was probably around enough Scottish people to at least fake an accent well enough but I can see why a native would have a problem with it. Out of curiosity though, has said actress ever been in anything else where she used her natural speaking voice?

As I said above we’re apparently sticking to the 9 episodes per season rule for the rest of the series unfortunately but at least production seems to have picked back up again so we shouldn’t have as long a wait for the next one

As someone who was born in England but grew up in the US with one British parent, I can't fake a British accent to save my life.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Friggin’ Chekhov’s silly putty got me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kazy posted:

As someone who was born in England but grew up in the US with one British parent, I can't fake a British accent to save my life.

Fair point (though in my opinion Paula did get better at it after the first season at least).

Come to think of it, were any of the Nightshadow Elves played by an actual Scottish person (unless they all didn’t have the same accent, I forget)? Or did any actor on the show that played a character with one have a natural accent (besides US/Canadian that is) for that matter?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 5, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Fair point (though in my opinion Paula did get better at it after the first season at least).

Come to think of it, were any of the Nightshadow Elves played by an actual Scottish person (unless they all didn’t have the same accent, I forget)? Or did any actor on the show that played a character with one have a natural accent (besides US/Canadian that is) for that matter?

Ruaan is voiced by someone from the UK, but not from Scotland, they're from Shropshire. Ethari's voice actor is a guy called Vincent Gale and he's actually scottish. Like I said I do think Rayla sounds really good, I've only heard complaints from a few scottish people.

The guy that voices Harrow is also the one who voices Karim, they double dip quite a lot. It's what makes it feel a bit like they've not got a very big voice acting budget.

Kazy posted:

I'm just going to say that saying "british accent" makes no sense and there's absolutely loads.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Just finished it. A bit disappointed about how little the plot actually moved. Rayla getting the soulcoins containing her family was nice though. And the characters are still enjoyable.

Maybe I missed it but what exactly is the good gang's plan once they find the prison?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Laughing Zealot posted:

Just finished it.
Maybe I missed it but what exactly is the good gang's plan once they find the prison?

I believe they literally haven't thought about that yet.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Laughing Zealot posted:

Just finished it. A bit disappointed about how little the plot actually moved. Rayla getting the soulcoins containing her family was nice though. And the characters are still enjoyable.

rayla didn't get the coins, Claudia tricked her into catching a bag of rocks. Terry commented on how lovely that was

Did anyone catch any Easter eggs in Rex Igneous' lair? I saw sokka's boomerang and rayla's glider, did he have anything else recognizable? A sword, helmet, and staff all stood out but I didn't recognize them

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think their intent is to intercept Claudia/Viren (and the staff) before they can reach Aaravos. With no way to track them or know where they are, the best they can do is beat them to their destination and be waiting there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

rayla didn't get the coins, Claudia tricked her into catching a bag of rocks. Terry commented on how lovely that was

That actually convinced Claudia to toss the real coins to her. You might have missed that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven’t finished the season yet but was there a point to Rayla going on a wild goose chase for 2 years at the end of the comic other than to create drama?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well the comic has her go to destructive ends to prove whether Viren was still alive or not (she even says they didn't find his body and that's why she couldn't let it go), which culminates in her writing a letter to Callum explaining that she doesn't want to cause him harm because of her conviction.

Her reason for coming back when she did doesn't work the greatest for a narrative, but the show has never been good at that. I kinda feel it would have been better if they ran into Rayla on their journey to see Igneous Rex, or when she shows up she was like "so, Claudia has been busy, and I can't do that alone"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

Well the comic has her go to destructive ends to prove whether Viren was still alive or not (she even says they didn't find his body and that's why she couldn't let it go), which culminates in her writing a letter to Callum explaining that she doesn't want to cause him harm because of her conviction.

Her reason for coming back when she did doesn't work the greatest for a narrative, but the show has never been good at that. I kinda feel it would have been better if they ran into Rayla on their journey to see Igneous Rex, or when she shows up she was like "so, Claudia has been busy, and I can't do that alone"

Oh I’ve read the comic, I was just curious if she found anything useful on her journey besides a new pet. But yeah, either of those two would have probably been preferable to the reunion we did get.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I know it’s a kid’s show, but the tone felt weirdly all over the place. I attribute this to each group of characters being comprised of at least half goofy comic relief characters. Maybe it was always like this and I’ve just gotten older and grumpier. Just weird to have a character grappling with PTSD interspersed with fart jokes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was the humor this juvenile in the previous 3 seasons? Fart jokes feel a bit beneath this series to me (not to mention a bit tonally inappropriate for the scene as mentioned above)

Aside from that and the fact they could have handled the reunion with Rayla a bit better this wasn't bad overall though (hell, this is probably the first time they've gotten me to even briefly feel sorry for Viren) and hopefully the information I posted earlier turns out to be correct and the remaining 3 seasons come out at a slightly faster pace from here on.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 6, 2022

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Got around to watching this, and while I enjoyed it, it feels so much like a half season. Like they're introducing the stakes, and then just ending it there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It does become clear that Avatar's success was the result of a large team effort. Whatever Ehasz brought to the Avatar table it was not how to properly integrate wacky and serious.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Dawgstar posted:

It does become clear that Avatar's success was the result of a large team effort. Whatever Ehasz brought to the Avatar table it was not how to properly integrate wacky and serious.
I dunno, cause I feel like Korra which was the non-Ehasz project was much worse about flat characters and inappropriate fart jokes in serious moments (fartbending).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

It never felt as strange in 1-3
They're rushed, but tonally fine

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just finished. Janai definitely had the strongest story of the season, though I thought the Rex Igneous episode was really good. Terry was a standout too. What happened to his glasses, though? He def had glasses when we first met him but then just didn't later on.

I'll try to reserve judgment on the remaining arcs until we see how more of it develops because these episodes seemed like mostly setup for later stuff, but yeah the Rayla stuff felt a little underwritten, with her having almost nothing to do until the last ten minutes of the season. Also like...what's up with the monkey. Where did she find a monkey that does Portal. I'm a bit iffy on having three whole cutesy animal companions tagging along.

Also can't help but be a bit disappointed on, like, getting basically no lore about the Earthblood elves despite introducing multiple Earthblood elf characters and the title of the season being "Earth" but, again, hopefully that's something that will come later soon, please.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea where did they get those wyverns from?

I still don't understand Rex not realising the dragon king was dead though. it just doesn't fit with anything we learned in 1-3

BrianWilly posted:

I'll try to reserve judgment on the remaining arcs until we see how more of it develops because these episodes seemed like mostly setup for later stuff, but yeah the Rayla stuff felt a little underwritten, with her having almost nothing to do until the last ten minutes of the season. Also like...what's up with the monkey. Where did she find a monkey that does Portal. I'm a bit iffy on having three whole cutesy animal companions tagging along.

I love cutesey animals and it still feels a bit much, it's very "this show is specifically for kids"
Which is fine but has a different air to "everyone is along for the ride"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Taear posted:

Yea where did they get those wyverns from?
Well it seemed like they were getting the wyverns (drakes, I suppose) by...beating these wild animals into submission? And it's just a normal rite of passage for them which they've been doing forever, and it seems like such an un-elf-like thing to do, to the point that other elves must surely find them contemptible...which makes it weird that Soren, a human, would be pissed about it but Rayla was just like "eh we can't do anything, let's go."

Combined with them misgendering Terry when he was young, so far it seems like the Earthbloods are just a troupe of assholes?

Taear posted:

I still don't understand Rex not realising the dragon king was dead though. it just doesn't fit with anything we learned in 1-3
Ah, I thought this part was pretty believable. Rex was just an ornery recluse who stayed in his house and threatened to eat anyone who visited, so it tracks that he hadn't heard any outside news for a decade, if not longer. I thought his opinions against Avizandum were really interesting, making it seem as if there really might have been two sides to everything and that human weren't the only ones escalating these conflicts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Well it seemed like they were getting the wyverns (drakes, I suppose) by...beating these wild animals into submission? And it's just a normal rite of passage for them which they've been doing forever, and it seems like such an un-elf-like thing to do, to the point that other elves must surely find them contemptible...which makes it weird that Soren, a human, would be pissed about it but Rayla was just like "eh we can't do anything, let's go."

Combined with them misgendering Terry when he was young, so far it seems like the Earthbloods are just a troupe of assholes?

Ah, I thought this part was pretty believable. Rex was just an ornery recluse who stayed in his house and threatened to eat anyone who visited, so it tracks that he hadn't heard any outside news for a decade, if not longer. I thought his opinions against Avizandum were really interesting, making it seem as if there really might have been two sides to everything and that human weren't the only ones escalating these conflicts.

Oh no I get where literally they came from, it just doesn't seem like it fitted them calling the wyverns "dragons". Especially when we have that red one to compare other dragons to.

My main thing isn't how it was presented in this series - more that in series 1-3 they gave the impression that all of Xadia would come rolling into the human lands because of the theft of the Dragon Prince. Clearly not though since the Earthblood elves and their dragon didn't even know it happened.

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The pacing in this show can really throw me with it feeling like we've skipped a step. Was there a lot of build up to Amaya and Janai that I'm just forgetting? Which is likely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The pacing in this show can really throw me with it feeling like we've skipped a step. Was there a lot of build up to Amaya and Janai that I'm just forgetting? Which is likely.

If I recall correctly yes, there was at least a decent bit of it that happened during the previous two seasons

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The way the third season ended the relationship seemed to be headed the way it went.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 8, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

On the official website there are a bunch of short stories (more like blog posts but same diff) that do check ins with a bunch of people as a lead up to the season. There is one featuring Amaya and Janai (also one featuring Janai and Carim doing a soul candle for their sister as a setup for that subplot) that has more flirting and relationship development.

Another is the letter Rayla left Callum at the end of the comic series, one about Callum discovering the mirror. There's a whole bunch and they're quick reads too.

I'll edit this post when I have a link handy

edit: https://thedragonprince.com/riseagain/ this was the latest one they did and it's actually from when Claudia and Soren were kids and it has...well, it definitely gives some further insight into why the two turned into what we see through 4 seasons

Aces High fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 8, 2022

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Every character is a corny goofyball, and no scene can go very long without something wacky happening.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

On reddit the superfans are mostly saying that they feel the breakup was more because they didn't quite know what to do with Reyla/Callum over the timeskip.
And honestly that rings true. Especially when you remember that they weren't originally gonna put them together at all and only did it because they liked the idea when the fans talked about it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Every character is a corny goofyball, and no scene can go very long without something wacky happening.

Yeah this was my feeling too. The show was at its best when only the guy who played Sokka was trying to be Sokka.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, Soren manages to be a pretty balanced character. He's not the brightest, he's well aware of that fact, but his self-confidence is enough that everyone loves him anyway. I'd say for the first 3 seasons my favourite character was Ezran but Soren is absolutely my favourite after this season

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Aces High posted:

I dunno, Soren manages to be a pretty balanced character. He's not the brightest, he's well aware of that fact, but his self-confidence is enough that everyone loves him anyway. I'd say for the first 3 seasons my favourite character was Ezran but Soren is absolutely my favourite after this season

I still like Claudia the most. I love how she moves ever deeper into soul devouring evil magic, while not even adjusting her regular bubbly and sort of good hearted demeanor. This felt way more interesting than her becoming Azula 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I still like Claudia the most. I love how she moves ever deeper into soul devouring evil magic, while not even adjusting her regular bubbly and sort of good hearted demeanor. This felt way more interesting than her becoming Azula 2.0.

Yeah, I kind of like that I legitimately don’t know where the characters are ultimately going to end up at this point. Claudia’s clearly nuts but also genuinely cares about her boyfriend and was kind enough to give Rayla back the coins (even her dad seemed like he might have been headed towards a face turn at first)