Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

Pick 13: 18C2C

A late economic pick. Going over my draft list, it’s unusual not to have any economic games since it makes up the bulk of my collection. Given the choice, I probably should pick Hab and Gut since it runs closer to the usual style of economic game. 18xx is a narrow field and doesn’t deal with labor supply or other things like Arkwright and Container does. Rolling stock might be a better pick here too.

But it’s also large. Chonky. An absolute unit. This game runs my house.

Very cool priority marker on the board there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoever catches my cat is the first player in the game. It adds a nice dexterity mini game to a genre that could sure use dexterity mechanics.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Battlelore 2nd Edition

C&C is my favorite war game system behind Seki, and Battlelore does the most interesting things with it. The setup system is far and away the best innovation and creates infinite replayability. Only thing that would make it better would be more factions.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Eclipse

I've loved the concept of 4x before I could even name it. Colonization was my favorite video game as an 8 year old (even with how awful I was at actually playing it). Eclipse has some flaws, but is quite enjoyable, and is a decent approximation of the genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Penultimate Pick

Dune

The past few years my group has come around to discover we really like political games because we enjoy competing with each other rather than competing against each other. Euro conflict games exist in a vacuum where everything is segregated and fair, whereas the trashiest of Ameritrash conflict games are no holds barred slugfests where the luckiest player wins (usually by sucking the weakest player dry). But Dune I can't believe how it perfectly nails asymmetric political conflict.

Big thing Dune understands is that negotiations only work with distinct and exclusive leverage. Half the treachery cards are literal garbage, so when the Atreides peak at a card before auctioning it they can solicit bribes for that knowledge. But Harkonnen gets a draw off the top with every buy meaning there's an unknown card in the wild but even Harkonnen could sell that information if another player is carefully counting the deck. And combat, drat, everyone's idea of Ameritrash combat is chucking bucket of dice but Dune turns fighting into a bloody auction where both combatants lose something but the winner basically only gets a discount in their corpses.

And I look at Dune clones and just shake my head because they don't get it. Rex ruins everything clever about Dune, just filing away and away until it becomes smooth and flavorless. But even TI4, a game I probably played a dozen times at 6 players last year, has issues where too much variety in objectives, action cards, and laws result in tit-for-tat plays making some games feel like 6 hours of snail-like build up leading to 1 hour of loving storming the beaches of Normandy. Losses are crippling in Dune which makes every action, every card, every advantage, every traitor a nail biting experience.

So yeah, fingers crossed they don't gently caress up the re-release. Go by Starbase Jeff's abridged ruleset (based on what the original designers recommended post mortem) and upgrade the components.

cjpsmith
Nov 19, 2018
Pick #199
Arkham Horror

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:chloe:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nnnnnooooooooooo

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I guess I should justify my picks:

Overall Strategy I want a good mix of games by 'weight' and player count, as well as a decent diversity of mechanics to ensure that it's a pretty replayable collection. I've also stuck to games I have played a physical copy of and preferably own.

Crokinole - I want a good dexterity game, and there is a real shortage of good flicking games: Crokinole, Seal Team Flix and maybe Icecool? So This needed to get picked early. Also, I didn't really want anything else.
Indonesia - This is perhaps my personal favourite splotter. It's a super deep economic game, and to me is a lot crisper than the 18xx games while doing many of the same things. The Merger/Private equity buyout mechanic is fantastic and makes for a very deep game despite a limited number of turns.
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant I love real time games, and I love Bazaar trading games. This game is the only good trading and negoitation game (I don't think Chinatown is really a good trading and negotiation game because I don't think it really supports market like trading), AND it's a real time game and it supports very large player counts. I've had a blast with 6-7 players. The only problem is it needs the right group - introverted wallflowers who want to take a lot of time to consider things will not like this game.

Now we enter the phase of the draft where we have games when I'd maybe prefer another game but those got first picked:

Arkham Horror LCG - Okay I'd rather have Gloomhaven. That said, the conditions of contest (getting all the expansions and stuff thrown in) make this a great choice. For me I particularly like the deckbuilding element because I can take the game away from the table and think about my decks etc between games when I am bored at work. The actual gameplay isn't as good as Gloomhaven, but it's one of my favourite Co-op games along side Space Alert and Mechs vs Minions. This is one of my two picks that I don't personally on, my best gaming buddy owns this.

Hansa Teutonica - It's a deep classic that plays fast and supports 3-5 players (the two player mode is bad). Fills out my midweight euro category.
Inis - There are three 'dudes on a map' game that I considered for this pick: Kemet, Inis and Cthulhu Wars. Then other people picked Kemet and Cthulhu Wars. Inis is pretty great once you know the game, but can occasionally be unsatisfying in a protracted 'hammer down the strongest' style. It's not quite as bad as COIN games as often you can just draft a great combo of cards and power through.
Junk Art - One of the best light/party games and supports up to 6 players. It's real good.
Here I Stand I wanted a big 'event' game. I quite like this one, though it can be a bit random at times. The 'only really playable with 6' downside is offset by the fact that it's a thing you specifically organise so can find 6 players. Also my father really likes it and it's nice to play it with him.

Space Empires 4x I wanted a 4x game and this is my favourite. A big, big, big plus is that it offers FFA, teams, 1 v Many and Co-op modes... and they work! The Co-op mode is mostly fun and a great way to introduce new players to the game. Replicators looks to improve the co-op mode even more which is excellent. I think this is the best of the 4x a likes.
Deception: Murder in HK - My personal favourite of the social deduction games. Simple, intutatively graspable, new player friendly, plays quickly. More resiliant than the Resistance.
Three Kingdoms Redux - I wanted another heavy game, and I wanted a worker placement game, and this is the best worker placement game in the world. The inflexible player count and front heavy rules teach due to the interlocking systems means I play AFFO more often in real life but I like this more and someone had already picked AFFO.
Skull - This is my most played boxed boardgame. Everyone loves it, it's great to play with 'non-gamers' as its simple, light and fast. This and Captain Sonar have caused people to realise that modern boardgaming doesn't mean monopoly and there is lots of fun to be had.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Pick #200
1960: The Making of the President

Another 2 player game as my list is lacking in those. I have a tradition of playing this game with a friend every time there's an election going on, we missed the 2016 one and we saw how that turned out.

I don't have a lot to say about it, except this:

It's. Just. Fun.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KvC pick: the voyages of Marco Polo.

It’s really loving good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Surprised to see that go so late, expected it mid draft. I still need to play it but it has a stellar rep.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Pick # 13
1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight

Ok I'm going to break my own rules now and pick a game that I both have not played and is seemingly impossible to find.

1860 is a title I do not expect to play this year or even the next but if this draft is for the penultimate game collection it seems appropriate to make room for the 18xx I've seen possibly the most praise for from clearclaw, Cole, and other members of the community who's opinions I respect.

While I might have preferred to have 1889 or 1849 for their shorter playtimes and smoother rulesets 1860 is a different beast. It's not new player friendly at all due to it's high complexity and convention breaking rules and as such is something to build up to and conquer. If people call 18xx the final boss of board games in my mind 1860 is like that big monkey in Sekiro.

also it has the best 18xx pnp

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

cjpsmith posted:

Pick #199
Arkham Horror

This is the only indefensibly bad pick. This is a worse pick than Zendo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DogCop posted:

Pick # 13

Ok I'm going to break my own rules now and pick a game that I both have not played and is seemingly impossible to find.

1860 is a title I do not expect to play this year or even the next but if this draft is for the penultimate game collection it seems appropriate to make room for the 18xx I've seen possibly the most praise for from clearclaw, Cole, and other members of the community who's opinions I respect.

While I might have preferred to have 1889 or 1849 for their shorter playtimes and smoother rulesets 1860 is a different beast. It's not new player friendly at all due to it's high complexity and convention breaking rules and as such is something to build up to and conquer. If people call 18xx the final boss of board games in my mind 1860 is like that big monkey in Sekiro.

https://youtu.be/h2xMJbGpEzs

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Pick ???
We were joking in Discord about picking a board game that's just expensive for resale, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the draft, so instead of picking a solid gold backgammon set or something I'll just say For Sale. It's quick to explain, quick to play, decisions are limited but impactful, and makes sense as a segue from the conversation.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DogCop posted:

Pick # 13

It sucks that GMT isn't doing this as their 2nd xx

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cjpsmith posted:

Pick #199
Arkham Horror

1st, 2nd or 3rd edition? You're wrong no matter what the answer is - even if you like the game, Eldritch Horror obsoleted it completely - but there are degrees of wrongness.

Bottom Liner posted:

Surprised to see that go so late, expected it mid draft. I still need to play it but it has a stellar rep.

Undeserved IMO. Troyes does everything VOMP does better, it just happened to be out of print when VOMP was released.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Undeserved IMO. Troyes does everything VOMP does better, it just happened to be out of print when VOMP was released.

Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good jedit

cjpsmith
Nov 19, 2018
Wanted to get my pick out earlier before I was out for the night, but here's why I picked Arkham Horror (2nd edition for the record, although I'd like to try 1st and 3rd).

First, Arkham Horror has special significance for me, as it’s the first “heavy” game I ever bought back when I was first getting into modern board gaming (c. 2008). Heavy here meaning lots of rules, lots of bits, and a long play time. I’m sure there are much better games that have played a similar role for others, but AH happened to be that game for me.

It illuminates something that I enjoy in games, something that may not be a universal value. I love learning rules. I love digging into the systems that give a game structure and make its engine hum. And I love when that exploratory process is big and imposing; I love the feeling of having to wade through concepts before seeing the whole thing come together. (This is one of the reasons I'm interested in one day exploring Magic Realm, although from the outside the game sounds like a disaster).

For this reason, one of Arkham Horror’s flaws—its mountains of rule inconsistencies and confusions—actually made the game enjoyable for me. The process of getting the game to WORK felt like putting together a kit car and finally seeing it run... and then sputter and stop short and require another bout of fiddling head-scratching.

The "heaviness" also had some overlap and intertwining with the "epic" feel of the game. It was my first "event" game, where you needed to gather a bunch of friends and have them block out a big chunk of their day to actually make it happen. This spilled over into the many expansions, which was the first time I had the "WHOA, Endless Content! So much to explore!" feeling now provided by every kickstarter.

Second, the Lovecraft mythos is one of the few fandoms I actually feel comfortable enjoying, which is unfortunate because it's also one of only ones that has huge, objective problems in Lovecraft's racism (I try to take solace in that the things I like about it are abstracted enough to be disconnected from his bigotry, but of course there will always be SOME connection, but there's enough to explore there in other writing). Still, cosmic horror combined with 1920s trappings (especially in New England, which also has personal significance) just does it for me. Call of Cthulhu is still my favorite RPG, and I'll always love the idea of battling against something huge and unknowable and almost certainly unbeatable.

Finally, I enjoyed playing the game! It was very hard at first, which really delivered on the theme. It was fun to see everyone slowly fall to pieces and get stomped by an ineffable ancient power. Then we eventually learned how to play well, and we got the pleasure of eventually beating something that seemed impossible. And, meanwhile, there was plenty of fun stuff to discover in the random encounters and items and whatnot--it was one of those games where I enjoyed not knowing what any of the decks contained until during gameplay. I also liked what each of the expansions added. Dunwich gave an extra level of urgency and the panic-moment of the Horror appearing, while Kingsport successfully created the feel of a sleepy, eerie town with deeply hidden secrets.

There are many reasons the game could be considered objectively bad by many modern standards. It's too long. It's too fiddly. The rules are confusing and messy. It's too random. It's too easy once you know how to play. Etc. I'm sure Eldritch Horror is indeed a sleeker version of the same concept, and that concept might not even be something you want to waste your time on. But I'll still love all of the crunch and grit and mess of the game: showing up at the Silver Twilight Lodge and hoping to get a membership (who knows why? We'll have to keep playing!), Ashcan Pete deciding whether to sacrifice Duke, nuns with molotov cocktails, and flipping over a Chthonian chit for the first time and wondering how the hell we were going to deal with it.

So, I'm always going to keep my copy, even if I'll likely never recapture those same first experiences, even if I never actually feel like playing it again. And it will always be in any of my "top X" lists, this draft included.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I... I don't even...

Sagrada

If I can't draft Azul, I'll draft my next-favorite "pretty pattern" game. Every round, dice are drawn from a bag and rolled, and are drafted by players to fill in a stained-glass pattern. Depending on the difficulty of the pattern, you're given X number of uses of tools to help change the dice to make them fit into your pattern. Games are fairly quick, and it has nice board to insert the patterns into that hold the dice in place.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friends and I opening the Arkham horror box:

The game’s tome slowly making you insane as you read it is thematic as hell

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I actually agree with this post, Arkham also holds some special significance for me as the game that got me into heavy gaming in a way. But our conclusions are different in that I sold my complete set to someone for like $250 and bought much better games. I don’t regret the time I played arkham but man I just didn’t know better

If I had any photoshop skill I’d make They Live guy with rose sunglasses looking at a Broken Loose fun rant, and through the glasses it says: Your favorite games are good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I honestly thought it was picked or I may have taken it a few rounds ago. I'm going to go with the absolutely delightful Captain Sonar, one of my favorite recent releases.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Colonial Twilight

It's the best remaining COIN.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Colonial Twilight

It's the best remaining COIN.

Remind me, your favorite is the Afghanistan one and then this? Or was there more in between?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Remind me, your favorite is the Afghanistan one and then this? Or was there more in between?
No that's right

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Falling

A light real-time card game, why not.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Falling

A light real-time card game, why not.

Is this better or worse than brawl?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wish Endgame were more than a day old because I want to make a funny with it and the Arkham Horror pick.

We basically only have a round left. That's exciting! Cthulhu Dreams is on the clock.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So when does someone draft Campaign for North Africa?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
This draft has been great. Lots of great picks early in and now everyone is picking niche lost causes, hate drafting, or straight up trolling and it's beautiful.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I haven't come up with better picks so I guess Bridge and Passtally

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Tetris Link

This one is 100% indulgence, this game is dumb fun but I can't imagine not having it. Dropping pieces onto the stack is so drat satisfying.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Someone just mentioned CFNA!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Talon

It’s pretty good for a fast playing SFB-style system.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Bridge is the best playing card game in existence, so you did p well here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Brass:Lancashire

because it's really funny to see it go 200 picks after Birmingham.

(and it's very good)