Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not dead! real life has been keeping me real busy these last couple of days. i have the next update started and will finish this morning. i am going to try and fast track the next couple of years into the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dash Rendar posted:

not dead! real life has been keeping me real busy these last couple of days. i have the next update started and will finish this morning. i am going to try and fast track the next couple of years into the thread.

And here was me thinking the war would be over by christmas

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Someone setting up an elaborate double agent plot for cheating at Diplomacy is unfortunately plausible.

Not just plausible, its not an uncommon problem on some web versions of the game that allow for play between random players. It gets you a ban from the platform if it gets sniffed out. Probably wouldn't be an issue with just a Goon game though. I think they only chase stuff down for public games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zengetsu posted:

Probably wouldn't be an issue with just a Goon game though.

i don't think there'll be any issue at all. no rules for the Conspiracy app were broken--Hat and I lied about breaking the rules. the chat logs prove it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ilmucche posted:

And here was me thinking the war would be over by christmas
:golfclap:

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

i don't think there'll be any issue at all. no rules for the Conspiracy app were broken--Hat and I lied about breaking the rules. the chat logs prove it.

What if I don't believe you.

Clearly the only way you and Hats can prove your innocence is to dump all your chat logs so that we can enjoy the schemes and betrayals verify that everything is on the up and up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
fwiw, i have taken extensive notes on my scheming in the thread! so much so that my postmortem may require more than one post. but you may be satisfied by the end result!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Fall 1918

Not much to speak of this turn:

The Mediterranean remains locked. Germany takes back Vienna, forcing the Ottoman Empire to burn a unit.

United Kingdom
F Edi H
F Eng - Mid
F Gol H
A Nap H
F Nrg H
A Pie S Tus - Ven
F Rom H
A Spa H
F Tun H
A Tus - Ven (failed)
F Tyn S Nap

Germany
A Boh S Vie
A Gal - Rum (failed)
F Hol - Bel
A Mos S Ukr
F Nwy H
A Pru - Lvn
A Sil - Gal (failed)
A Tyr S Vie
A Ukr S Gal - Rum
A Vie S Tyr
A War S Ukr

+ A Mun

Romania is successfully defended and the Ottoman's bring their fleet up to the Black Sea. Austria-Hungary holds on, but for how long?

Austria-Hungary
A Sev H

Ottoman Empire
F Adr S Ven
A Alb S Tri
F Apu S Ven
A Bud S Rum
F Con - Bla
F Gre S Ion
F ion S Apu
A Rum S Bud (support cut)
A Ser S Rum
A Tri S Bud
A Ven S Tri (support cut)

- A Alb

League Chat is still dead.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
going to try and rush out another update so we can catch up with the game...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dash Rendar posted:

going to try and rush out another update so we can catch up with the game...

Now THIS is a quality joke.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CirclMastr posted:

Now THIS is a quality joke.

my reputation precedes me :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The year starts out with a new draw request:

Which is declined:

Spring 1919

The bulk of the action is now Germany/UK versus the Ottoman Empire. Of note, the combined German-British forces are able to break into Venice--but that's about it.

United Kingdom
F Edi H
F Gol H
F Mid H
A Np - Apu (failed)
F Nrg H
A Pie S Tyr - Ven
F Rom - Nap (failed)
A Spa H
F Tun H
A Tus S Try - Ven
F Tyn S Rom - Nap

Germany
F Bel H
A Boh S Gal - Vie
A Gal - Vie (failed)
A Lvn - Stp
A Mos S Sev
A Mun - Tyr
F Nwy H
A Sil - War (failed)
A Tyr - Ven
A Ukr - Rum (failed)
A Vie - Tri (failed)
A War - Ukr (failed)

Ottoman Empire
F Adr S Ven
F Apu S Ion (support cut)
F Bla S Rum
A Bud S Rum
F Gre S Ion
A Rum S Bud (support cut)
A Ser S Tri
A Tri S Ven (support cut)
A Ven S Tri (support cut; retreat: burnt)

Meanwhile, A-H continues to fight!

Austria-Hungary
A Sev S Ukr - Rum

League of Nations Chat posted:

<Ottoman Empire> Alright, if anyone has a reason I shouldn't just give up let me know. Not sure I want to go through the slog of hopelessly watching myself lose.
<United Kingdom> An honourable surrender does sound a lot better than like twenty turns of trench warfare slowly crawling through the Balkans
<Austria-Hungary> Austria-Hungary is merciful, and is willing to accept the surrender of any neighbouring nations
<United Kingdom> Yeah tbh I don't think anyone can catch up to Austria at this point
<Germany> A victory for Germany is a victory for all!

Fall 1919

The slow fight continues, but the Ottomans are beginning to lose ground to the combined attack. They are unable to reclaim Venice and also lose Romania.

United Kingdom
F Edi H
F Gol H
F Mid - Wes
A Nap - Apu (failed)
F Nrg H
A Pie S Ven
F Rom - Nap (failed)
A Spa H
F Tun - Ion (failed)
A Tus S Ven
F Tyn S Rom - Nap

Germany
F Bel H
A Boh S Vie
A Gal S Ukr - Rum
A Mos S Sev
F Nwy H
A Sil S Gal
A Stp - Fin
A Tyr - Tri (failed)
A Ukr - Rum
A Ven S Tyr - Tri
A Vie S Tyr - Tri
A War S Gal

+ A Ber
+ A Mun

Ottoman Empire
F Adr S Tri
F Apu - Nap (failed)
F Bla S Rum - Sev
A Bud S Tri
F Gre S Ion
F Ion S Apu - Nap (support cut)
A Rum - Sev (failed; retreat: A Rum R Bul)
A Ser S Tri
A Tri S Bud (support cut)

- A Bud

Importantly, A-H lives to fight another year.

Austria-Hungary
A Sev S Gal - Rum (inconsistent)

As a side note, Germany brings an end to Finnish autonomy.

League of Nations Chat posted:

<Ottoman Empire> So apparently the app doesn't let you voluntarily disband
<United Kingdom> When displaced? it does, Germany used it to replace fleets with armies
<Ottoman Empire> No, during the adjustment phase
<Ottoman Empire> I was going to disband everything and have the sultan hang himself
<Ottoman Empire> I could have sworn you could do that (in the board game rules)
<United Kingdom> Oh right
<United Kingdom> Well, don't worry--soldiers will be along shortly to assist them
<Ottoman Empire> rear end

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rules question. An unit cannot cut support to an attack against itself.

So, ignoring all other units, what happens if SEV attacks RUM with UKR support, BLA attacks SEV with RUM support and MOS attacks SEV?

Basic: SEV always displaces RUM because it's 2 vs 1

Option 1: BLA and MOS bounce because RUM's support was cut from the displacement

Option 2: BLA sails into SEV because RUM's support can't get cut by SEV

EDIT: gently caress. I'm talking about these positions:

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 13, 2020

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Funny, this is the exact miserable slog I predicted would happened when I tried to suggest a draw.

Come on guys, the game's as good as over. Let it just end, I can speak for Turkey on how both blindingly frustrating and unbelievably boring this stage is, especially without the ability to just concede.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think germany could go for a bit of a stab here if they slide their MUN and BOH forces west, what could britain even do about it, and how would they strike back? They've already got a boat over there to guarantee numbers advantage for a while anyway

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Turkey's also the only likable (sorry) faction left, so seeing them die slowly and horribly is a real buzz kill.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Turkey's also the only likable (sorry) faction left, so seeing them die slowly and horribly is a real buzz kill.

Whoa whoa whoa, what about our underdog AH?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Don't worry, they won't die slowly

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I agree that the way things are going, it'll be a slog, but Germany is set to get a solo victory here. They have 14 of 18 needed, and they show no signs of ceding anything to England.

There's room for one more twist where England stabs Germany, and one where Germany stabs England.

A draw can't be allowed while Austria still exists since a 4-way draw is the same as saying that France, Italy, and Russia won (at least that's how I'd rule it :D).

EDIT: Let's say Germany wanted to win this coming year. They can win by stabbing now.
- Belgium -> Picardy/ENG -> Brest
- Norway -> NOR -> London; (Finland army covers Norway)
- Munich -> Burgundy -> Paris
- Then find a way to get net 1 SC from Turkey.

(If England is caught off-guard, then the fall moves can be completed with no risk.)

EDIT2: You all better betray this year.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 13, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Am I the only one that likes the plucky Austria-Hungary?

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Omobono posted:

Rules question. An unit cannot cut support to an attack against itself.

So, ignoring all other units, what happens if SEV attacks RUM with UKR support, BLA attacks SEV with RUM support and MOS attacks SEV?

Basic: SEV always displaces RUM because it's 2 vs 1

Option 1: BLA and MOS bounce because RUM's support was cut from the displacement

Option 2: BLA sails into SEV because RUM's support can't get cut by SEV

I believe this results in Sev moving to Rum and BLA moving to Sev.

Sev has 2 to Rum's one, so displaces it.

BLA has 2 to Sev's one, so blocks Moscow and enters Sev.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

How do draws work in the app?
1.) Does it say who proposed it?
2.) Does everyone need to agree? Or just "majority of SC-holders"?
3.) Do you get to see how the vote went or just "draw failed"?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The joke was very funny and people getting mad about it was even funnier

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MagusofStars posted:

1.) Does it say who proposed it?
2.) Does everyone need to agree? Or just "majority of SC-holders"?

1)

2) Everyone

3) no clue

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

jimmydalad posted:

Am I the only one that likes the plucky Austria-Hungary?

They're the protagonist.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Germany is going to roll away with a victory and England is doing absolutely nothing to stop it. The betrayal started several turns ago when Tyr failed to support an English army into Ven, and was cemented when Germany went and took Ven form themself, which for some inexplicable reason England actually helped with.

This is why the joke wasn't funny, by the way. England has been making bizarre pro-Germany plays that don't benefit them in any way for at least half the game, and "haha I was cheating to make myself win the whole time" is kinda just a slap in the face to all the spectators who have been enjoying analyzing the plays and speculating on what must be going on behind the scenes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You must be real fun at parties

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.

ZiegeDame posted:

England has been making bizarre pro-Germany plays that don't benefit them in any way for at least half the game,
Yeah, this (and Germany passing up some good stabs) made the whole thing pretty plausible.

MagusofStars posted:

I think it just says draw declined, it may tell you who declined it first but not the full vote.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Don't worry, they won't die slowly
I know my playing was an unmitigated failure, but you don't have to be an rear end about it.
I could have drawn things out, but didn't see the point. Especially as, even if you weren't the same player, for all it mattered I was fighting against over 2:1 odds.
I'm not terrible at orders, but there was nothing I could really do. Despite all your claims of some sort of "epic" showdown.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

You must be real fun at parties

The joke was in bad taste. Don't be sore that people are criticizing it.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I found the sheer drama of it to be funny, but overall, I did not appreciate the joke either. Having a pseudo-authoritative figure validate the joke via bans was too much interference. (I suppose the real lesson here is not to take all bans at face value.)

I still await a reasonable explanation from England why they would let Germany run away with the game when they were the ones set to get a solo earlier. Allowing Germany to take Venice would have been fine if there were a territory trade (e.g., Belgium). That didn't happen, so it is fair to question England's gameplay.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Wasn't it the rock-paper-scissors LP that caught a goon posting in the other thread? I just remember two hands flipping off a certain poster at the end...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

habituallyred posted:

Wasn't it the rock-paper-scissors LP that caught a goon posting in the other thread? I just remember two hands flipping off a certain poster at the end...

Yep, and none other than Crow even! Though that one did help add to how great that thread was. :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Having a pseudo-authoritative figure validate the joke via bans was too much interference. (I suppose the real lesson here is not to take all bans at face value.)

Yeah, I totally cop to that and that's my bad. I genuinely got caught up in the moment and thought it'd be a great laugh for everyone involved, but there are a couple of things that wrecked it in retrospect. For one, roping in crow to help "sell" the joke was probably too far. I thought changing Enhanted Hat's avatar would push it so far into absurdity so that no one would for a second think it was sincere--but crow being a third party coming in from no where and the fact that Enchanted Hat and I both ate probations with those particular reasons (which were my suggestion) probably pushed it over to the uncomfortable Andy Kaufman realm of jokes.

I've also got this going against me: I've made a gimmick in my LPs of dedication to dumb but elaborate jokes. As someone said, they could totally buy me doing something this stupid--though I hope no one thought my intentions were malicious, especially not any posters who don't frequent LP or aren't familiar with my dumb jokes. I may have trusted too much that everyone reading knew crow and I probate each other fairly regularly over made-up drama. (The last time we did was as recent as the fake mod uprising April Fool's joke).

Lastly there's the fact that though while I am just another player on the game I am also kind of GMing it for this LP. I set the whole thing up. Who's to say Enchanted Hat isn't an old alt of mine? (They aren't).

I'm glad that the joke was enjoyed by at least some people, but absolutely get why others think it was in bad taste. Mea culpa. Sincerely. I'd rather walk back the joke than have any one lose faith in me to run a goon Diplomacy game, as I certainly hope this isn't the first and last time I run one!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habituallyred posted:

beaten by Dr. Snark, but yeah, check nine-gear's rap sheet and you'll see the specific probation reason that will take you right to the thread!

edit: grammar

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 14, 2020

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Joke probations are kind of a tradition in Crow's and Dash's LPs by now, so you really shouldn't be surprised by them :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ProfFrink posted:

I think it just says draw declined, it may tell you who declined it first but not the full vote.

Yeah, it's this. You get to see who called for the draw and who declined it. But there's no tally of all votes that is shown.

ProfFrink posted:

I know my playing was an unmitigated failure

Also hey! Certainly not the case! You held an aggressive A-H at a stand-still for an absurdly long time, and in fact never permanently lost any of your original provinces, and wound up making a comeback to be a contender before being back-stabbed--which is my fault, not yours!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Diplomacy - Come for the backstabs, stay for the critical joke analysis.

Does the game have anywhere interesting to go from here? I have never played this game but to me it seems like England and Germany have safely boxed in Austria-Hungary and Turkey in roughly 1/4 of the map with the latter 2 not really able to do anything about slowly getting steamrolled.

The only real options Turkey has is to either spam draw requests to annoy everyone else, move everything back to Turkey thereby throwing the game or simply :airquote: forget :airquote: to submit any orders to hasten their demise.

If England or Germany turns on the other, it seems like they would need too much manoeuvering to pull off anything more than a simple scratch before the other has time to react. Knowing this, why would they bother stabbing each other? Even if through some miracle Turkey or Austria-Hungary manage to snag a supply center or 2, they'd still be in the same position, thus dragging out their own suffering even further.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Joke probations are kind of a tradition in Crow's and Dash's LPs by now, so you really shouldn't be surprised by them :v:

This is my first time seeing one of their LPs so how would I know?

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Same. But duly noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

1234567890num posted:

Thanks for reminding me I should re-read Crow's White Knight Chronicles LP.
That LP was almost as entertaining as the game was a mess, and the game was a gigantic mess.