Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

habeasdorkus posted:

Should we consider transitioning Josh Gibson to 1B or OF from behind the plate? It's what the Twins had to do with Joe Mauer due to his concussion history.

I think it's gonna depend on what Gibson looks like come spring. Mauer had a host of other issues, not the least of which being that he's a pretty tall dude and his knees were wrecked as far as catching was concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Should we consider transitioning Josh Gibson to 1B or OF from behind the plate? It's what the Twins had to do with Joe Mauer due to his concussion history.

This might not be a bad idea...he played a decent SS briefly earlier in his career so he could probably make the switch fairly easily. It'd suck to lose him behind the plate as he's a monster defensively but we'd get ~20 more games out of him a year also.

This is all assuming he actually does make it back, the post concussion thing seems to have a pretty high frequency of "uh oh you had a setback see you in 8-9 more months" and or "early retirement" so fingers crossed.

edit - just checked, he definitely has the tools to be a plus 1B, and maybe even an above-average 3B (he has a huge arm but limited range). OF is probably a no-go.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 29, 2021

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
if i recall right there's a "charge mound" button in ootp during games and I would just slam that button every at bat against Nate for a game or something

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2032 ALDS: A's vs Mariners

Game 4 "Highlights"

In a delicious little bit of irony, we seem to have re-charged a flagging Mariner's mini-dynasty by trading them a couple of quality players.

This season has been rough despite a pretty good record, and that Game 4 really encapsulated it. Seriously, can you imagine watching that poo poo live? Two bloop single/errors, and a botched routine grounder?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2032-33

League News

The Detroit Tigers end their 20-year rebuild with a Game 6 Series win over the Braves.

Victor Mederos wins Rolaids Reliever of the Year.

Heeny Groce and Contreras win Silver Sluggers

Demon Crow runs away with Rookie of the Year. Big Ron Acuna wins his second MVP at age 34. If he stays healthy -- which he likely will not -- he could be an inner-circle hall of famer when all is done.

Bobby "Bats" Witt Jr and Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez both hit free agency. The end of an era in Seattle. Ke'Bryan Hays is still sticking around also, and hits the FA market for the first time. Remember back when we signed all these guys to their long-term extensions?

We're going to have another...interesting offseason.

We pick up our option on Victor Mederos; he's one of baseball's best relievers and a total bargain. He'll be gone next year for sure, but we get one more season of him closing our games.

No fewer than 8 of our pitchers enter arbitration, but no one's number is very high. The same cannot be said for Cubby Contreras and Double Lopez, who both get big ARB1 numbers.

We have a little bit of cash to play with, but we're pushing the upper limit of our budget. No need to cut costs immediately thanks to our maneuvering last offseason, but we probably will next year.

From where I sit, we have three big decisions to make this offseason:

Josh Gibson. Assuming -- fingers crossed -- he's healthy and ready for spring training, do we want to try a position switch? He'd likely be a slightly above-average 3B glove or an elite 1B glove, or...still one of the best defensive catchers in the game. This is a very tough call -- elite two-way catchers are some of the most valuable assets in the game, and he's super-elite in both areas. But, playing catcher exposes him to injury (though it wasn't the cause of this one, was it, Nate Pearson?) and cuts into his playing time. Normally even good-hitting catchers aren't good enough hitters to make a position switch very attractive, but Gibson absolutely is -- if he gets back to where he was, he'll be an MVP candidate no matter where he plays.

If we try 3B, we should probably trade Juan Galindo despite our heavy investment in him and his solid season last year. If we try 1B, we'll probably have to send off one of Ken Shank, Mike Peterson, or Luis Contreras. We'll probably need to bring in a new catcher as well, as it isn't looking like Logan Tanner has much left in the tank at this point.

Next issue: second base. We invested heavily in Shawn Corely, who didn't really stick as our everyday 2B last year. Jordan Thompson is gone, so Corely the incumbent there now. Do we give him another year to see if he can put it all together, or do we look for new blood?

Third issue: outfield crowding. This is actually a good problem to have: Humberto de la Torre is definitely ready for the bigs next season, but we have three VERY good outfielders plus an elite utility guy (Contreras) blocking his path. Briggs isn't going anywhere and de la Torre isn't a great CF anyway, so that leaves Felix Lopez and Mike Nichols as trade possibilities. de la Torre has the most trade value, but all have plenty. Lopez just entered ARB1, while Nichols still has two more glorious years of pre-arb left. It doesn't make sense to keep all 3 -- who do we trade, and for what?

VOTE

Josh Gibson:
1) Keep him at C
2) Convert him to 3B, trade Galindo
3) Convert him to 1B, trade one of Shank, Nichols, or Contreras

If 2 or 3:

1) Ride with Logan Tanner and some trashcan guys
2) Bring in a blue chipper at C

Second Base:
1) Let Corely try to figure it out.
2) Trade Corely, bring in a blue chipper (could be had by either the Gibson move, or the OF move in #3)
3) Trade Corely and bring in some trashcan players.
4) Keep Corely, bring in some trashcan players for competiton's sake.

Outfield:
1) Trade de la Torre
2) Trade Lopez
3) Trade Nichols

Lot of moving pieces again this year. Let's get down to business.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 29, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our 3 OF's scouting pages, for better decision information:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

1, 2, 3

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

seems solid enough

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

1, 2, 1

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
By the way: Nate Pearson update: we didn't play the Rockies again last season; he tore his labrum and is now out of contract. He may or may not get another major league job this season. If he does, we'll be there.

It looks like we're of one mind moving on at 2B. Here are the best trade possibilities. All of them are available as a straight swap or swap plus a kicker with Corley. Several of these guys are conversion projects -- they have the tools to play a major league 2B, but will have to learn the trade, which can take some time and can be a bit of a risk if they're not easily adaptable players.

Tim Hansen came up as a 1B last year and did very well as a...25 year old rookie. He probably has the chops to play 2B at an average level and has a great looking bat with room to grow.

Mike Masibuwa is another conversion project, but he looks like an elite contact/power bat. Could be a solid 2B glove as well. But...has a bit of an injury history.

Wes Hennessey looks like a potential elite 2B glove -- he'll have no problem making the switch. His bat isn't bad but also isn't electrifying...he'll probably be about a league average hitter, maybe a bit more. but...that's a gold-glove caliber defender.

Abel Bornstein's scouting report looks like something from an 1880s OOTP game. Zero HR power (like, ZERO) but his 300 isn't entirely empty, he works hard, and his glove will be a huge plus. You'd like to see a bit more range and a bit less arm for a 2B, but who is picky.

Oh, and there's one more possibility. A bit of a...blast from the past, this one.

The bat is gone and the legs are a bit slower than they once were, but he's still probably the best infield defender in the world. And, he's cheap.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I'm a sucker for players like Bornstein, but Hennessy is probably the stronger overall choice.

Hennessy

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Benny the Jet must return to us

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Schnorkles posted:

I'm a sucker for players like Bornstein, but Hennessy is probably the stronger overall choice.

Hennessy
:same:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I like Masibuwa myself.

It's be great to have Benny in the clubhouse tho.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Easy as 1, 2, 3.

The Ghost of Monty Burns is extremely taken with Abel Bornstein.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Benny seems like a great utility guy to have on the bench. Also get Bornstien

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2033

We waffle back and forth between Abel Bornstein and Wes Hennessey; in the end, Bornstein costs a lot less so that tilts the deal in his favor. We send Shawn Corley and 6'8" teenager pitcher Francis Aguilar off for Bornstein, RP prospect Jim Price, and former #6 overall pick Chance Francis, who looks like a bust but is still a decent kicker if he meets anything like his former potential.

Two RULE CHANGES: the secondary roster is now 42, and the expanded fall roster is the same size. That...is a big baseball team. Dugouts will need to be expanded. Bigger news: the NL adopts the DH!

Danny Raiff goes to see that same loving guru that hosed up Julio Rodriguez all those years ago. He also comes back "less interested in baseball." Fantastic. We're only on the hook for $200 million for this guy.

Bobby Bats puts on a new uniform for the first time in over a decade: he goes to the White Socks for $27m a year.

SINNER Konishi heads to San Fran. He's 35 now and lost a few MPH on his legendary heater, but still looks like a top shelf reliever.

Josh Gibson emerges from a darkened room shortly before Christmas. He seems none the worse for wear, though he'll be more prone to concussions from here on out.

We send Mike Nichols off to help restock the pitching prospect cupboard; he brings back Sean Burnett Jr. (1.5/3.0), the #32 overall prospect.

We also need to start thinking about a bullpen revamp: Mike Peterson brings back elite young reliever JJ Doncaster (4.0/5.0) and another promising young bullpen arm in Ron Merritt.

No one makes the hall of fame, and Joe Mauer falls off the ballot. Which, wtf?

There's a bloodbath of owners on the west coast: the Dodgers and Giants owners pass away in the same week. The Dodgers have been in a serious hole the last 3 years and don't seem close to getting out of it.

A neat day: Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez comes on board on a 1 and 1 deal, at $2 mil a season. It is honestly a pretty good bargain: he'll be an elite utility infield glove, pinch runner/bunter, and clubhouse leader.

We also bolster our rotation with another old friend: Jack Leiter signs minor league option deal with a $2.6 mil salary.

Fans and the clubhouse both love both of these signings -- they'll probably pay for themselves in "intangibles."

Abel Bornstein makes a seamless transition to second in the spring.

Our former #3 overall pick and #1 overall prospect Milt Holdeman destroys his elbow and will miss over a year. He now has two bad seasons of ML ball and a serious injury, while we have the league's best shortstop. That was a smart trade.

Jack Leiter has a great spring training, and it warms the heart.

We play Benny the Jet all over the place defensively this spring and he has no problems anywhere on the field: he can now play 2B, SS, 3B, and either COF position somewhere between competently and brilliantly. He still can't hit, but oh well.

Josh Gibson looks his old self through the spring, and Athletics nation breaths a collective sigh of relief.

Nate Pearson signs a deal with the Rangers. He's injured in the spring, but we may just see him in action this year...

When Sadler tells Jack Leiter that he not only made the opening day roster, but also the starting rotation, he starts crying. In March of 2031, he had some shoulder discomfort after a spring start, and had a devastating diagnosis: a torn rotator cuff. After surgery and 6 months of rehab, he suffered a serious setback, one that would take 15 months to recover from. The Mariners voided the last year of his contract, and he sat around doing nothing but rehab for almost 2 full years (though the Mets signed him to a rehab deal last summer for some reason?)

Anyway, it has been a long road back.

Opening Day Roster

1. Ken Shank, 1B
2. Cubby Contreras, DH
3. Double Lopez, RF
4. Josh Gibson, C
5. Lawnmower Briggs, CF
6. Heeney Groce, SS
7. Humberto de la Torre, LF
8. Juan Galindo, 3B
9. Abel Bornstein, 2B

Logan Tanner, C
Benny Rodriguez, IF
Roger Barreras, OF

1. Turducken Madden,
2. Riff Raiff
3. Jeff Critz
4. Wacky Jack Leiter
5. Joe Bradley

Victor Mederos (CL)
Joel Harris
JJ Doncaster
Mike Taylor
Joe Getts
Danny Bagley (L)
Tommy Coressel
Josh Dinkins
Kevin Wright

We're predicted to win 100 games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This is the heartwarming story I needed after the loss of Pete and the Gibson scare.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am sad I didn't find this thread earlier but I love it

I'd like to humbly suggest Tony Conigliaro as a future Historical Baseball Figure to add into a future draft; he was always my Dad's go-to example of a player who could have been a megastar if only he hadn't gotten hit directly in the face with a powerfully-thrown baseball

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

rickiep00h posted:

This is the heartwarming story I needed after the loss of Pete and the Gibson scare.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2033 All Star Break
61-31, .670, 1st Place, AL West

League News

Our former beloved SS Fransico Lindor is still getting it done at age 39. He has a 3-dinger game on April 27th.

Joe Kalafut waits until May to sign a contract, but finally heads back to LA on a one year, $32 mil deal.

Former A's starter Edwar Colina announces his retirement -- he gave us two solid seasons, but sort of fell off a cliff when he got to Philly.

Ichiro Suzuki misses a few weeks with a bad shoulder, but is hitting close to .500 in mid-May, along with a 35-game hitting streak.

Daemon Wrona just goes around flexing on the whole drat league. He isn't hitting for huge power yet, but he's putting up Bonds-like OPS numbers.

It looks like a pretty weak draft overall, but there's another historically outstanding top prospect: John McDormand.

He isn't quite as otherworldly as Wrona, but he's one of the best pitching prospects I've ever seen. 6 pitches? Why the hell not.

He'll go to Cleveland, unless they seriously gently caress up.

Team News

After a mostly injury-free spring, our star closer Victor Mederos tears a biceps and is out half the season. Then Gabe Briggs hurts his back. Then Humberto de la Torre hurts his hand. Then Kevin Wright hurts his shoulder. Then Roger Barreras hurts his back. Then Josh Dinkins hurts his wrist. Then Jack Leiter hurts his oblique. Then Gabe Briggs gets hurt again -- this time a hammy that will keep him out a month. Then Ty Madden is out for a month and a half with a triceps. The Luis Contreras goes down for half the season with a hammy. Then Logan Tanner goes down for 2 months with...I dunno, leprosy.

Our training room looks like a field hospital at the Somme by mid-June. We start getting healthier after that, though.

Heeny hits for the cycle on April 19th. You really don't see that too much.

We have our first series with the Rangers in late April - Nate Pearson is now in the bullpen, and he does not see the field.

Gibson doesn't exactly light the world on fire in April, but we've had several scouting updates since his return and there isn't any cause for concern just yet.

Conversely, Abel Bornstein absolutely lights the world on fire the first two months of the season.

Jack Leiter looks a lot like his old self through the spring and early summer. He sends us a message asking about an extension -- starting at 3 years, $16m AAV. We'll discuss.

We sign 18 year old SS Alex "Clueless" Medina as our international free agent. He has impressive tools, but is clueless, apparently.

We take Ethan Cain in the draft; he's a giant college pitcher who relies on a cutter/curve combo. He doesn't throw it a zillion MPH but his control is very impressive.

We also take a 6'8" powerbat from Curacao named Winston van den Bos. He is very one dimensional, but it is a pretty good dimension.

Benny the Jet is playing well enough in a part time role we start getting trade offers for him. I tell everyone to gently caress off.

Gibson is just not himself so far this year, but who can blame him? Let's root for him to tear it up in the second half.

Our all stars are Critz, Leiter (yay!), Doncaster, Groce, and Lopez.

VOTE

Trade Victor Mederos? He's gone at the end of the season, he's not been great so far this year, and we have a really solid pen behind him. But, trading away an elite closer for...probably not that much...might look real dumb in the fall. We can always QO him and get a pick when he leaves.
1) Trade Mederos
2) Keep Mederos

Extend Wacky Jack? It looks like he'll be on board with something like a 2/22 type deal, with the second year being a TO. He's been fantastic this season, but he's...very injury prone these days.
1) Extend!
2) Cya later Jack!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, and I almost forgot again: this season's LEGENDS OF BASEBALL entry is none other than Tony "Tony C" Conigliaro, who hopefully will not get drilled in the head this go-around.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

You can't write that sort of update and expect me to vote against Jack.

2/1

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Also I see the Rangers probably heard through the grapevine that the entire team was ready to kill Pearson and wisely didn't use him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bewbies posted:

Oh, and I almost forgot again: this season's LEGENDS OF BASEBALL entry is none other than Tony "Tony C" Conigliaro, who hopefully will not get drilled in the head this go-around.

YAY

Trade Mederos, Keep Jack

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

QO Mederos at the end of the season and keep Jack

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trade, Extend

Jack is a no-doubt HoFer, yeah? Dude has to be the best pitcher of his generation.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Keep the bullpen strong, extend Jack.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

1 1

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 Playoffs
106-54, .654. 1st Place, AL West

League News

By late summer, Ichiro is once again flirting with the big four zero zero. He's hitting .393 at the end of August, and the baseball world is watching and rooting for him. Japan in particular is more or less consumed by his chase. He's right on the brink on October 1 -- .396, with 7 games left to play.

Oct 1 vs KC: 1-4, .395
Oct 2 vs KC: 1-4, .395
Oct 4 vs MIL: 0-3, .392
Oct 5 vs MIL: 3-4, .394
Oct 7 vs CWS: 1-3, .394
Oct 8 vs CWS: Injured hammy. Will miss the last two games.

...what a disappointing end to the chase.

Bo Jackson puts together the best season of his carer at age 31, including a 36 game hit streak.

The Mariners fail to make the postseason for the first time in 12 years.

Team News

We dangle Victor Mederos and shortly after get a very nice bite -- Dan Williams (3.0/4.0) is a lefty reliever currently serving as the Phillies closer despite being only 22. He isn't as good as Mederos, but he has 6 years of TC ahead of him...and he's a lefty. Fans don't like the trade though.

Benny tears his hammy and is out 6 weeks. Tough break for the guy, he's been rock solid for us.

Dan Williams hurts his ankle, and we decide the time is now to call up forgotten former top prospect Luis Salazar. He didn't develop anything like we'd hoped (he's basically a low-power contact bat with a bad glove) but he's still a decent callup option at this point in the year.

We send Bryant down when he gets healthy, and apparently he was a douchebag in the clubhouse so the players are happy to see him leave.

Josh Gibson turns it around after the break, and we start to see some of his old self in August as he slashes 388/429/741.

Dan Williams comes in and dominates for us; adds some velo and gets a nice scouting bump. He looks like a winner. Danny Raiff meanwhile gets downgraded. Thanks, "guru."

We clear our IL for the first time this sesason on September 4. Then Abel Bornstein, who is having a great year, tweaks his groin and is out for most of the playoff window. Tough break.

Jack Leiter signs a 2 year, $22 mil extension, with the second year a TO.

Danny Raiff gets another downgrade -- he's now 3 stars. loving guru.

We await the winner of Yankees/White Sox in the Wild Card game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Danny Raiff getting hurt and not coming back right is extremely realistic.

Abel Bornstein loving rules and we should have a whole team of him.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

habeasdorkus posted:

Danny Raiff getting hurt and not coming back right is extremely realistic.

Abel Bornstein loving rules and we should have a whole team of him.

I enjoy building smallball teams in ootp. Contact hitting and stealing bases all day every day.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

Jack is a no-doubt HoFer, yeah? Dude has to be the best pitcher of his generation.

Yes he absolutely is; I'd go so far as to say he's getting into first-ballot territory. He's won 5 Cy Youngs and was baseball's best pitcher for a solid 5 seasons. Coming back strong this season is great -- it definitely looked like his career was over at 30, and he's still working with a shoulder held together with gum and twine, but for this season at least he showed some of his old self.

That 3 year gap is crazy.

Dude doesn't have so much as a hangnail for 8 years and then....

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Having a solid top of rotation season right after being done for 3 years is nuts. You feel like a comparable "real player" would absolutely cement themselves in the hall if they did that because of how big the storyline would be.

e: Also W-L percentage isn't as important as it gets made out to be, but Leiter's is good enough for the 2nd best ever.

e2: jfc daemon wrona is leading in SB, OBP, BB, and OPS. He's a gold glove caliber defender too isn't he?

Schnorkles fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 31, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2033 ALDS: A's vs Yankees

Well, that was straight up domination. Two Yankee hitters (Maria and Wrona) basically won that series for them.

Schnorkles posted:

e2: jfc daemon wrona is leading in SB, OBP, BB, and OPS. He's a gold glove caliber defender too isn't he?

Yeah he's a straight 80 in both center and right. The only reason he isn't playing CF full time is the Yankees have Pache, who has now won 11 GGs at center (probably soon to be 12) and has to be the best defensive outfielder of all time...he's at almost 55 career WAR with an OPS+ of 107.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 1, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

Yeah he's a straight 80 in both center and right. The only reason he isn't playing CF full time is the Yankees have Pache, who has now won 11 GGs at center (probably soon to be 12) and has to be the best defensive outfielder of all time...he's at almost 55 career WAR with an OPS+ of 107.

Demon Crow is one of my favorite things in sim games like this, a player on another team who just straight fucks your poo poo up. Imagine if he grows into his power tool!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Yankees appear to be good at baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

can't wait to see wrona's post-arb contract