Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nice run what was the highlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well, I learned that there's one extra thing in the CCB labs ending if you do everything else (and have a total of 9 multitools to blow).

Hadn't bothered to stick around before.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

resistentialism posted:

Well, I learned that there's one extra thing in the CCB labs ending if you do everything else (and have a total of 9 multitools to blow).

Hadn't bothered to stick around before.

Yeah, I did this just now and was one multi tool short. I was so salty.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Was having a really dominating run with a fully decked out scout with Sniper and Level 3 Overlord, tons of healing items and grenades, until I fired a BFT at some enemy and accidentally hit a friendly hacked robot in my line of fire, then died immediately from full health. God drat it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya the shots bounce to friendlies, so you don't want to be standing next to one. Everybody does this at least once.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Finally got a clear as Scout a couple runs later. I was having a hard time doing much in Dante earlier, I was leveling up a lot of hacking/infiltration with Ghost, but the huge damage output of Sniper, Deadly Precision, etc, made things much easier. I still had plenty of ability to stealth when I really needed it, but my character was powerful enough to win most encounters without needing it. I accidentally went into Inferno, which drained a lot of my extra resources and ammo, but I was given Void at the end, which fixed my ammo issues by itself.

The real clincher might have been finding the medusa slither relic, which boosted my dodge to 90-180% with max hellrunner. I still got hit by some splash damage, and I had so many reserve healing items that the drawback (starting each floor at 20%) didn't matter.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’ve been booting this back up lately, and dying a bunch on medium. Well below my previous skill, focus, and judgment levels. That’s fine, I’ll get my brain wired up for it again.

Question: I’ve been going into the Callisto Mines and getting the attunement. I figure I’ll figure out if that means anything past the mines on my own when I’m competent again. Inventory is a more immediate concern. The special relic, is there any reason to keep that on hand if the lesser relic is suited towards my build?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Best of luck with that. It's convoluted to be sure, but no need to sweat what you're bringing with you to Callisto 6.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good Old Somehow Already v1.5 and start of Robust Modding Support~

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/3401926123930275775

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I see this is on sale, but every Roguelike I've ever played I eventually get frustrated at losing all the time and drop them. Doesn't matter which genre or type.

Also I was wondering why it's being bundled on Steam with Postal: Brain Damaged until my brother pointed out that it's the same devs. Quite a departure.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

Also I was wondering why it's being bundled on Steam with Postal: Brain Damaged until my brother pointed out that it's the same devs. Quite a departure.

It's the same publisher, not the same developer.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Grimthwacker posted:

I see this is on sale, but every Roguelike I've ever played I eventually get frustrated at losing all the time and drop them. Doesn't matter which genre or type.

JH does come with an easy mode that doesn’t feel cheap, fwiw. Still probably gonna die to something stupid like I do, but odds are good you’ll get a fair share of earned victories, especially if you don’t gently caress around with special levels. Or blindly activate scripts at terminals without making sure you won’t be flooding the floor with poison first.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The new update is pretty fun, still need to visit some of the new branches/fully figure out what's up with the new dark cathedral though. New fire angel is fun and works with pretty much any weapon type, but is tragically weak against the new Io boss.

LordSloth posted:

I’ve been booting this back up lately, and dying a bunch on medium. Well below my previous skill, focus, and judgment levels. That’s fine, I’ll get my brain wired up for it again.

Question: I’ve been going into the Callisto Mines and getting the attunement. I figure I’ll figure out if that means anything past the mines on my own when I’m competent again. Inventory is a more immediate concern. The special relic, is there any reason to keep that on hand if the lesser relic is suited towards my build?

To answer your direct question, the special relics you can get from the anomaly are only worth taking if you want what they do, there's no secrets associated with them.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Managed to do a clear with Wizard + Toxicologist tech, which was pretty easy by the end. The drones aren't too great, the sentries are strong, and the bots just gently caress poo poo up. Didn't end up actually using the poison smoke that much since a lot of stuff was dead well before they could get close. Also I looted Calamity in Europa and didn't really need to use any of other weapon after I found it. I had a Pierce rifle I fired maybe once, and an expanded mag + swap harness Super Shotgun that I never had to pull out by the time I got it.

Now that I cleared Normal with everyone, so I might try some of the interesting challenges, like the all rocket launcher one.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Having some fun with this AV2 Rocket Launcher.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Re: Wizard build, which weapons do y'all use before lvl 6? So far I've mostly gone with assault rifles.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Caustic Soda posted:

Re: Wizard build, which weapons do y'all use before lvl 6? So far I've mostly gone with assault rifles.

no context

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Cleared Angel of Carnage on Hard as a Gun Runner scout. That was a really fun run. I manufactured an AV2 rocket launcher and modded the hell out of it with Whiz Kid. Dash and Hellrunner meant I could run away from almost any encounter, and get off free shots in-between. The hardest part was just making sure I didn't run out of ammo, I ended up skipping fights with weaponless enemies and spending multitools on ammo stations. Might take a break from the game now though, I've done a lot of the things I wanted to do at this point.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Caustic Soda posted:

You're mostly just a generic doom guy at that point so here's a generic guide...

Hunter Rifle: King of the early game. One shots common grunts, sergeants, fire fiends and anything weaker than a brown fiend. One shots brown fiends half the time if you aim first. The only gun in the early game with a good optimal range. Mods don't do much for it, longshot if anything.

9mm assault rifle: Perfectly serviceable. lovely range, but fine if you calibrate it and/or auto-calibrate it. Tons of ammo. Don't forget to abuse aiming past severely wounded targets to hit multiple foes in the same turn. Usually you eventually run out of ammo on your hunter rifle and swap to one of these.

If you're a scout you probably have one or the other rifle. If you're a tech or marine you might keep both.

Grenade launcher: The other king of the early game, but ammo is a big problem. Good swap speed and it's the best common early game weapon to have on you when things get really bad. Often worth it to pick up a new one just to blow the three rounds in the chamber. Techs can put a swap harness on it. The rest probably want to save mods.

9mm SMG: The other good swap weapon. One shots brown fiends at close range. There's an outside chance that modding for empty-reload speed might save your life at some point.

Revolver: Not as good of a swap weapon, but it's ok.

Shotgun: Pretty cumbersome but they have their uses. Sometimes you get in a spot where a shotgun can do a guaranteed kill on a monster behind cover. Techs can put a swap harness on them for free and also can make use of blind firing through smoke. Marine and scout usually won't bother.

7.62 assault rifle: A bit better than a 9mm one. If you happen to find a lot of early ammo then an early switch is doable.

Chaingun: Actually kind of good, but kind of a hassle. Gets a bit more appealing on the extremely unfair difficulties.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Since I’m currently playing on medium, I often find myself using the shotgun and 44 revolver a lot (hard gives more enemies, better equipped, and thus more choices), but I pretty much always have these available.

The shotgun is more useful when you remember to close doors, and the .44 is a quick swap against robots, etc.

On hard, I usually run with the 9mm auto rifle or SMG, until I find something interesting, or a terminal teases something relevant.

If I’m planning the Callisto branch I’m going into in advance, then I may put a lot more thought into the weapon I’m using, since some of the rewards are weighted towards whatever weapon type has the most kills, or I may just settle for mod/manufacture, since you’re a technician and all that

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
does anyone know how Silent works with Gunslinger?

i have the .44 deagle (30) with the 9mm torrent SMG (7x5), does this mean i get an extra shot with both my weapons or just the first one? i imagine i only get one extra SMG shot? (7 damage). actually, on that note, would something like Rush

while i'm at it, i've got GHOST and Shadowcloak (auto stealth on kill) and i'm trying to decide between the Silent AMP and:

code:
-pistol booster (+20% damage)
-pistol target tracking (+1 optimal range)
any thoughts? i'm using stealth a lot but the new AMP looks great for when i'm low on Energy.

final question: is there a way to view the combat log without dying?

edit: nvm figured out how Silent works and went with it. works amazing with Skilled +2, I get 3 free shots out of every stealth.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 29, 2022

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Know? No. However, given how I’ve been told damage modifiers work on Bulletstorm Marines and/or SMGs, I’m assuming the entire turn counts on both weapons, with damage modifiers (e.g. fresh mag, ripper) matching the starting shot for every shot that turn.
That is, I believe stealth works just fine for a dual pistol build, but I never build stealth so I could be full of poo poo.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm not certain offhand but typically all modifiers/effects work on a per action or per 1 time unit basis, so stealth should apply 100% crit rate to the full fire action of both guns.
If you're playing a ghost run +stealth attack count generally outweighs every other possible perk you could get, but I also only usually play ghost with melee where you hit a critical mass of permanent attacks while stealthed from energy leech, so it might not be quite as significant with guns.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thanks guys. got my first win (medium). switched the Torrent SMG to a Plasma Pistol and then a Plasma SMG. got pretty dicey on the end boss when i ran low on energy, but a win's a win!

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

resistentialism posted:

You're mostly just a generic doom guy at that point so here's a generic guide...

Thank you very much. I usually play weapon-focused builds, (recently sniper-shotgun for that OG Doom feel) so I was feeling rather at sea for Wizard.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 29, 2022

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I had a technician fireangel run and felt totally useless when I got to the final boss and ended up meleeing it to death with the power saw I'd found.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you go to IO black site you can get a TTL manufacture weapon that helps fireangel deal with the last moon.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i picked up a JS 12ga focused shotgun (+25% crit damage, narrow shot cone). it does impact damage instead of slash so it doesn't benefit from Army of Darkness :mad:

also it has 0% chance crit and i'm a marine :saddumb:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Drone_Fragger posted:

I had a technician fireangel run and felt totally useless when I got to the final boss and ended up meleeing it to death with the power saw I'd found.

Fire angel's damage component seems pretty bad by the endgame since most things that are really dangerous (medusas, warlocks, CRI bots, the boss) are highly resistant or completely immune to fire. I've had one fireangel win where I found an early riot smg and decided to go for a fireangel smg build to maximize the amount of stacks I could put on enemies at once. The splash damage resistance felt like the far more important part of the skill from IO on, which is kinda boring. The final boss was mainly bombed down with grenades.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
anyone know what to do about the "thermal lock active: temperature too high" door in tyre outpost? i tried shooting getting frozen by the clouds before trying to open but it didn't work. i guess i just missed a valve on an earlier level or something?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

When you touch the valve you raise the temperature so you have to pick and choose which ones you want to activate and leave some.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is that in the messages or something?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Might be that you have to leave all the valves alone, actually. I think you just have to figure it out from the fact that turning them off is making the level easier.

Just finished up a run on UV as Vampyre, which I hadn't tried before. Skilled for maximum fury generation and found a combat sword mid-Europa which has +100% crit while using adrenaline. Also found an early supply visor and a huge number of medical stations, so I was at 160 max hp even before getting soulstealer.

Spent most of Dante wandering around at 320 hp and wasted time in the harbinger's arena going around killing summons to make the number on soulstealer bigger.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's going on with this game? Several patches ago my controller stopped working with it. No big deal, I prefer keyboard anyway, but it was an odd change, and I was unable to get it working again. I see the most recent major patch "improved fire visuals". Fire looks like poo poo, like 90s tier 2D CGI animations. In fact the game looks lower quality visually than I remember, despite me running it at max settings at 144 fps.

Again, ultramax settings. Should it look like that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

idk about "should" but that's what it looks like for me

i agree it's a bit poo poo

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I haven’t had any game pad problems with the game, might want to do the standard driver stuff, then report the specific model to the dev. (I have an Xbox controller, first party stuff so about as mainstream as possible).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Does anyone have any tips for the last boss? I've finished it with Scout, but I seem to take way too much damage on Marine no matter how geared up I am.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Throw a gas or smoke grenade at it and get behind it where there's solid pillars to stand behind.
If you have a plasma grenade save it for the final form which doesn't have a damage gate.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

resistentialism posted:

Throw a gas or smoke grenade at it and get behind it where there's solid pillars to stand behind.
If you have a plasma grenade save it for the final form which doesn't have a damage gate.

Hmm, okay. Do damage gates prevent the stripping of armour (like Krak Grenade)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Hmm, Thompson doesn't work with Onslaught?

edti: hmm, it works sometimes and not other times

crepeface fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 8, 2022