Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

From the AAC commissioner:

quote:

IRVING, Texas – American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco has issued the following statement on today’s announcement by the Big 12 Conference.

Today’s news confirms what we have said all along regarding our status as a power conference. The irony that three of our schools are being asked to take the place of the two marquee schools which are leaving the Big 12 is not lost on us. Our conference was targeted for exceeding expectations in a system that wasn’t designed to accommodate our success.

All three of these institutions have enjoyed unprecedented success as members of The American, as have our remaining schools. Many of our schools have achieved competitive success similar to the departing schools. We have every expectation that the three departing schools will abide by the conference bylaws to ensure an amicable and orderly transition. We wish them continued success in the future.

Our remaining schools are unwavering in their commitment to competing and succeeding at the highest level and we will not allow external factors to put a ceiling on our potential. We remain unified and resolute and will consider all of our options as we move The American into our second decade and beyond.

I assume the AAC has to raid the Sun Belt or something, right?

The Sun Belt already put out a statement at https://sunbeltsports.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Komet posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up adding Boise State, even though it seems like a bad marriage for both sides. That's a flirtation that dates back to the twilight of the old Big East.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Congrats to Goons whose programs are part of the new BigXII. I will be curious to see what the TV rights' value will look like. BYU and UCF in the same conference, hard to believe.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up adding Boise State, even though it seems like a bad marriage for both sides.

Just speaking generally here (the Sun Belt seems insane) Boise's in a weird spot where it tests the only football matters part of things. Yeah football matters most but Boise State really brings absolutely nothing else.

Also they're in a hell of an awkward place geographically.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 10, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

Just speaking generally here (the Sun Belt seems insane) Boise's in a weird spot where it tests the only football matters part of things. Yeah football matters most but Boise State really brings absolutely nothing else.

They should join the big sky

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MourningView posted:

why do people think colorado state is good

Because of these awesome uniforms they wore... one time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Scarf posted:

Because of these awesome uniforms they wore... one time.

I saw those in their uniform lineup in their stadium atrium for this year so they're still available for them to wear. Who knows if they will again, but they were some good unis.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Trying to poach the Sun Belt would make sense but Mountain West would likely be the easiest course of action. Does AAC really bring in that much more revenue than Sun Belt?

Grittybeard posted:

I mean AAC already had Cincy to UFC to Houston. Granted they're more populated areas but still a really spread out conference.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 10, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

No one ever talks about raiding the MAC because a) the MAC is probably the most stable of all G5 conferences and b) almost all MAC schools exist in the Big Ten footprint and bring no real revenue to anyone. And so many teams have had brief periods of being either really good or really bad over the last 20 years.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Trying to poach the Sun Belt would make sense but Mountain West would likely be the easiest course of action. Does AAC really bring in that much more revenue than Sun Belt?

I mean AAC already had Cincy to UFC to Houston. Granted they're more populated areas but still a really spread out conference.

It's dramatic. In 2019, when the AAC re-upped its contract, they paid out $7 million/year to schools. The Sun Belt was $500k per year, total. The Sun Belt just extended their rights deal, so I expect that number to be higher, but it remains to be seen by how much, as neither they or ESPN release numbers back in July.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

No one ever talks about raiding the MAC because a) the MAC is probably the most stable of all G5 conferences and b) almost all MAC schools exist in the Big Ten footprint and bring no real revenue to anyone. And so many teams have had brief periods of being either really good or really bad over the last 20 years.

They also generally exist to play each other, so why leave your family like that? The rivalry web over there is, uh, elaborate.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Their basketball program isn't great or anything but it's been okay since the football program took off. But yeah they are probably the team that suffers the most from football becoming increasingly centered in the south and there being only two FBS conferences on the west coast.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

At least right now their TV deal is a lot better but I imagine that's about to go down a fair bit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah the 8-team core remaining of the AAC is pretty dire, especially right now. I could maybe talk myself into a scenario where C-USA or the Sun Belt take from them rather than the other way around. But I guess those three exit fees maybe give everyone enough spending money to keep things stable.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The remaining AAC teams aren't all that much more attractive than the Mountain West, so I'm not sure Boise State gains much by leaving.

Sun Belt has 12 teams and Conference USA has 14. There's not much room for them to gobble up the remainders. There might be a couple of teams eyeing the job from FCS to FBS, like JMU. Or someone might be desperate enough to take Liberty.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Liberty is a pretty appealing expansion candidate if you think you can live with them.

I don't think the remaining AAC teams are more appealing than the MWC at all, especially if your school is in Boise, ID, but I keep hearing that Boise is unhappy there for whatever reason.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Had it not been for BYU, I probably would have never said the combination of words "Jimmer Fredette" in my life, so there's that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Liberty is a pretty appealing expansion candidate if you think you can live with them.

I don't think the remaining AAC teams are more appealing than the MWC at all, especially if your school is in Boise, ID, but I keep hearing that Boise is unhappy there for whatever reason.

TV money and the bowl partnerships are the big complaints I think. Also it's just been kinda bad recently outside of a couple teams. Nevada seems like they're in a good spot with Norvell but most of the time it seems like SDSU and Boise are the only two really trying that hard.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The main tough thing for AAC in assessing expansion candidates is that most of the programs in the C-USA and Sun Belt seem close in terms of resources. I mean I guess App State has always shown good fan investment and good decision making, but you could've said the same of Georgia Southern up until a few years ago. Western Kentucky was a model G5 program right up until the point that it wasn't (much like current AAC member ECU). You basically just draw 2 or 4 out of a hat and hope they don't make a couple of bad hires in a row.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Komet posted:

Yea, the MAC is kind of funny how all of their schools are just completely covered by Big 10 fan bases. I think even a lot of MAC fans are probably fans of the nearest B1G school. Buffalo is the only school kind of out there on their own. MAC seems to be a pretty low point right now. Wasn't that long ago that you could have 2-3 MAC teams that could've been middle of the pack of a P5 conference, but right now it's pretty rough. Buffalo and Ball State were good last year, but 2019 was brutal for most of the conference. 2020 is hard to judge since the MAC only played conference games, so who the hell knows how good anyone was.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I could see Boise, SDSU, Utah State, and Nevada looking to position themselves as the core of a "new" national football conference. Those seem to be the teams that try hard and have had some measure of success over the last decade or two. Throw in Memphis, SMU, and ECU, and you have a trans-national football conference that is trying to be competitive.

It clears Hawaii, and the California State schools from the conference too, which are big drags.

You can bring in the service academies to get you to 10, and then add add, say, a Tulane and Tulsa or some up-and-coming Sun Belt team that is hungry to compete, or maybe a strong basketball mid-major that has a football program you could beat up on. Coastal Carolina and App State fit the profile.

The 8 remaining teams in the AAC could make that sort of package deal for the 4 western teams, or they could go everyone for themselves and wind up in a similar situation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wouldn't call Fresno State a "drag" on the MWC; it's been pretty consistently solid since I've been following college football.

For a bi-coastal conference of that nature to work, I think you'd need to have at least 6 teams in the west that could form a full division. That way with an 8-game schedule you're only having to make 1 or 2 cross-country trips. It would probably have to be a football-only conference for either the western teams or the eastern ones.

Hell, maybe the AAC just invites their 8 favorite MWC teams and calls it a day.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 10, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do hope SMU lands somewhere it can find success, on a pure stupid sentimental level I like all of Texas' big cities having a relevant and fun football program (besides Austin, obviously)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring me the B1G/MAC promotion/relegation agreement

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bring me the B1G/MAC promotion/relegation agreement

I would trade Rutgers for Buffalo permanently. I love the city of Buffalo and it's only 3.5 hours from State College anyway.

I just saw the Illinois plane fly over my house to the Charlottesville airport. I thought it was Southwest Airlines (which doesn't come here) until I checked flightaware.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

There's a top 25 game on tonight. Also, it's a top 10 El Assico tomorrow.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Who cares about that I'm here for A&T beating Duke

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I can respect that. :hmmyes:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Is there a gdt for the weekend yet? Anyways, KU didn't look too bad on that opening drive.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A page late but gently caress BYU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TipTow posted:

A page late but gently caress BYU

Pretty sure that would get you kicked out

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

From the AAC commissioner:

I assume the AAC has to raid the Sun Belt or something, right?

Rutgers when the Big Ten boots them out.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Seems like JT Daniels probably won’t play this weekend against UAB.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

gently caress BYU

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1434357189964144641

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
i can't wait for another full action packed slate of football tomorrow.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

LLCoolJD posted:

Congrats to Goons whose programs are part of the new BigXII. I will be curious to see what the TV rights' value will look like. BYU and UCF in the same conference, hard to believe.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BITCH

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
also congratulations to the big xii for finally having a team that's won a natty in the playoff era.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

also congratulations to the big xii for finally having a team that's won a natty in the playoff era.

Lol I really hope they start claiming that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Komet posted:

I noticed that the kickoff for the Illinois @ UVA game is set for 11am. I've never heard of an east coast kickoff that early before. It's going to be a pain in the rear end that people are going to start parking in my neighborhood before I even get home from the farmer's market.

Im pretty pleased about this and wish it held true for all the illini games in the eastern time zone. Just get them over with by noon Central if you can

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Seems like JT Daniels probably won’t play this weekend against UAB.

game has red loving flags all over it. Get ready for a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Oh God we're already 1/12 of the way through college football :cry: