Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I still really love the stupid fact that Amy and Knuckles stayed on the dying planet rather than asked for Sonic and Tails to bail them out. Because, y'know, the Six Deadly Sevens fired up their doomsday machine back when Tails was still not-captured and, IIRC, he had fixed the drat plane so it wouldn't have been out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
At this point, I'm half inclined to believe that SEGA wants to kill off Sonic's friends to appeal to the people always complaining about them and this was their way of doing it without actually doing it.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

There's a new episode of this out now. I guess Keith forgot to update the thread or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH09OCxMK38

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey I watched this already- guys this game really sucks. It powerful sucks in like almost every way, please finish it in time for the next questionable-looking Sonic game. :v:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

For the record, the charged homing attack has been a feature the whole game...up to three charges. or whatever reason, that final hit lets you, and requires you to, charge up to 5 to win. It's stupid and no one would ever figure it out themselves.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh hey I watched this already- guys this game really sucks. It powerful sucks in like almost every way, please finish it in time for the next questionable-looking Sonic game. :v:

Which will be Sonic Boom, I believe.

Semi-related note, I saw a trailer for the cartoon and good lord it looks terrible, which sure doesn't give one good hopes for the game!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Which will be Sonic Boom, I believe.

Semi-related note, I saw a trailer for the cartoon and good lord it looks terrible, which sure doesn't give one good hopes for the game!

If by terrible you mean THE BEST then you're right.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

For the record, the charged homing attack has been a feature the whole game...up to three charges. or whatever reason, that final hit lets you, and requires you to, charge up to 5 to win. It's stupid and no one would ever figure it out themselves.

Look, if you're a mediocre-to-bad game at least have the decency to make yourself easy to get through. My god.

Also those hoops you had to shimmy across in the slide level looked pretty unfun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
All the information I have been able to find out about Sonic Boom strongly suggests it will be an absolute trainwreck.

Whether it is an entertaining trainwreck or just a disappointing one, only time will tell.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Look, if you're a mediocre-to-bad game at least have the decency to make yourself easy to get through. My god.

Also those hoops you had to shimmy across in the slide level looked pretty unfun.

The worst part about that one breakable hoop where Kyle dies a bunch is that the way those cacti are coming at you, it makes it look like you're supposed to weave between them. This invariably kills you. I understand rolling a couple of them down to force you across, but the pattern they use doesn't have that effect at all.

The thing about Lost World is that you can tell they really put in the effort. The mechanics work and the levels have been playtested to make sure everything's working as intended. The fact that it still turns out so damned dull and frustrating makes me think they built the mechanics, made sure they all worked out, but then once they started making levels they suddenly realized it all loving sucks when it's put together. Then it was too late to make major changes. But then they make weird choices like the above and I don't know what the gently caress anymore. Do they not know what fun is?

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 15, 2014

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Other things that might be good to know:
There are actually three homing attacks when in the air. There's the kick on X/Y, as Kyle mentioned, there's the homing attack on A and then there's the "doublejump" or flip on B. Note that when there's no enemy around, A will also do the flip. There's no indication that when an enemy's around, A and B will do different things. What were they even thinking? :bang:

The circles that indicate that the Homing Attack is locked on also show the strength of the A homing attack (and therefore how much damage it will do). A fully charged homing attack will 2HKO almost all bosses in this game. You WILL need to know the circle thing to beat a boss later on.

I... tried to warn you, at least?

Not that I'm mad or anything, this played out exactly as I hoped it would :allears:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

but then once they started making levels they suddenly realized it all loving sucks when it's put together. Then it was too late to make major changes. But then they make weird choices like the above and I don't know what the gently caress anymore. Do they not know what fun is?
It feels like it was rushed out the door and barely was polished at all or something. Lost Worlds has a lot of interesting concepts, but I'll be damned if the execution wasn't the most needlessly obtuse and lovely thing I've seen in ages.

You know how people criticize Platinum Games for hiding essential skills in the shop menu? Sonic Lost Worlds is kind of if they wanted you to enter a cheat code to even be able to enter that shop. Or maybe more like playing old fighting games that didn't have command lists for the first time. It's poo poo, is what I'm saying.

Also the homing attack charge thing is terrible and it feels very much shoehorned in, especially since it kills almost all bosses in two hits.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The charge attack thing is one of the worst issues of the game's obtuse controls and such not only because of its obscure usage, but the honest to god fact that there is no indication previously that you would ever need the ability in such a fashion. If you've charged a homing attack before this, its almost certainly either out of an accident, or just to get maybe one extra ring on it to quicken up a boss fight. But its never been necessary to finish a boss off, and up until you finally have to use it, the trend was kick then homing attack, which at least is vaguely reinforced over the course of the game, where enemies with additional defenses have to be kicked over simply homing attacked.

But its not the worst. Because however much I might be generous to this game, that's still coming, and once realised, is going to piss the ever loving poo poo out of people.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This game is indefensible

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God loving dammit and Generations was pretty good, too.

Why Service Games, Why?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Why Service Games, Why?

Revenge on Nintendo.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It's such a nice looking game too. All the environments look great and they all have great music. What a missed opportunity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look guys, I know it almost definitely wouldn't help with the actual playing of the game and getting around some its shittier mechanics, but no one would hold it against you if you just got on GameFAQs and used a walkthrough to help know which lovely gimmick you're supposed to be using on which enemy.

(Also every time the game keeps telling you to look at the gamepad for hints and you don't look at hints my soul dies a little)

e: Okay never mind got to the point where they use a guide thank god

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 16, 2014

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
I almost lost it when you looked at the guide and it didn't even help much. :allears:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Lazerbeam posted:

There's a new episode of this out now. I guess Keith forgot to update the thread or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH09OCxMK38

YEAH I TOTALLY DID! Kyle posted the episode while I was at work and then I fell alseeeeeeep

Regy Rusty posted:

This game is indefensible

It's really my least favorite sonic game apart from unleashed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somethingdumb posted:

YEAH I TOTALLY DID! Kyle posted the episode while I was at work and then I fell alseeeeeeep

It's really my least favorite sonic game apart from unleashed.
I think you meant to say Sonic '06.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think you meant to say Sonic '06.

I think they've mentioned it before, but Sonic '06 as fun to play in a "How much worse can it POSSIBLY get?" way. It was so bad that everything about it was so broken and confusing that it was at least fun to get through.
Unleashed has good day levels (although Keith would disagree), but they're only 10% of the game compared to the slow slog of night levels.
Colors seems technically proficient, but just boring. So it's not fun to get through.

Edit: poo poo I meant Lost World, not Colors.
Colors was a good game.

Sartorius fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 18, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sartorius posted:

Colors seems technically proficient, but just boring. So it's not fun to get through.

What is this post

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TwoPair posted:

What is this post

It's a post by a true goon. There are no fun video games. In fact, there are no video games and there is no fun. You can't like things.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo I'm an idiot. I meant lost world. That's the boring one. :downs:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That boss fight might have been the laziest, most low energy late game boss fight i've ever seen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Real hurthling! posted:

That boss fight might have been the laziest, most low energy late game boss fight i've ever seen.

You clearly have not watched the rest of this LP.

I do not think that at any point any human being put any effort at all into this game.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Real hurthling! posted:

Are we even late game?

Don't we have like 3 or 4 levels left or something where we actually kill the Friendly Five?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It seems like they tried with everything except the level design and the Deadly Six. Music is good, art is good, but it seems like most of the levels have the same gimmicks. The boss fights are really uninspired, though. With all of them you basically just wail on them until they die, and there's a minor gimmick to the fight that doesn't effect much.

This only sold around 750,000 copies, which isn't impressive either.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 18, 2014

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like they tried with everything except the level design and the Deadly Six.

And the story script. My god, the writing in this game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MR. J posted:

And the story script. My god, the writing in this game.
I guess, but most of the Sonic games the last 5-6 years have pretty much the same plot.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
No, you know what; this game COULD have been good. It wasn't, but it could have.

Like, Eggman found this ancient evil, okay, and he's using it for his latest hare-brained scheme, fine, that's not new. But then Sonic jumps the gun and fucks everything up himself. That's new. That's something they could have done something with. They just, like, didn't.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. Buttass posted:

No, you know what; this game COULD have been good. It wasn't, but it could have.

Like, Eggman found this ancient evil, okay, and he's using it for his latest hare-brained scheme, fine, that's not new. But then Sonic jumps the gun and fucks everything up himself. That's new. That's something they could have done something with. They just, like, didn't.

Eggman admits he kind of had it coming and works together with Sonic! Tails gets kidnapped and breaks free with a discarded toothpick!

It's like the guy carrying their original script tripped and fell and dropped half the pages in a mudhole.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
I just want to mention for the folks in the thread, that the next two (last two?) episodes of this LP are up on the youtube channel. What a long, strange, miserable trip it's been.

Part 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15NlYavMzCo

Part 12:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t63O-ydGLc

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is this the Illuminati-hunting sister who's trying to bring her boyfriend over? How does she know she can trust him?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Never have I been so polarized with an LP. One one hand I agree with Keith's definition of purchased, and that it is purchased once you get a receipt and complete the transaction. On the other hand, such misguided animosity towards omelets. They can be filled with so many things. How is that bad?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am shocked that people as versed with pop culture and TV as you guys are are just learning about the Tommy Westphall Universe theory. I mean, it's completely retarded, but it's funny.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

PSWII60 posted:

Never have I been so polarized with an LP. One one hand I agree with Keith's definition of purchased, and that it is purchased once you get a receipt and complete the transaction. On the other hand, such misguided animosity towards omelets. They can be filled with so many things. How is that bad?

I feel like the taste of the eggs is completely destroyed in all but the most well made omelets. I have had good omelets but a standard quality omelet is a tragedy.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
HEY NEW THINGS! Last things?? Who knows?!
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 11

Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 12

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Jack Gladney posted:

So is this the Illuminati-hunting sister who's trying to bring her boyfriend over? How does she know she can trust him?

he's an unmedicated 30 year old schizophrenic living in a tent in the woods im PRETTY sure he's not a government pawn also yes this is real

EDIT: oops i posted 3 times im so so tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
So are you guys going to play the Yoshi's Island and Zelda DLC levels?

• Locked thread