Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Rarity posted:

We're in LYLO. I'm the tracker and having so many PRs means 3 scum for sure. I got roleblocked N1 and tracked Hurt N2 (he went nowhere). I'm sorry I've played so poo poo this game.

Why in the world did you not track the claimed cop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I would like to hear Hurt's claim before we do anything like vote for people.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Why in the world did you not track the claimed cop?

What does that accomplish? The claimed cop was overwhelmingly likely to get killed or blocked.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

What does that accomplish? The claimed cop was overwhelmingly likely to get killed or blocked.

This. Also it was uncountered and with a small number of players to choose from I figured I'd have a better shot trying to catch a scum.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rarity posted:

This. Also it was uncountered and with a small number of players to choose from I figured I'd have a better shot trying to catch a scum.

I'm not following. Can you explain to me in your own words your thought process for making your decision?

I know I'm being pedantic here but I really want you to be like "So I looked at the situation and this is what I thought: _____"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"So I looked at the situation and this is what I thought: it was uncountered and with a small number of players to choose from I figured I'd have a better shot trying to catch a scum."

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Somberbrero posted:

I could pick apart her posts all day, but I think you see the point I'm making. I should have picked up on this sooner but I was not giving the game the attention it deserved. ##vote Murmur Twin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxypL-PZwwY

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hurm. Pint, does that make sense to you?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I guess what I'm asking Pint is if that is what you would have done in his situation yesterday.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well, there was no hammer there, so that's kinda useful.

Quid, I don't see the point in unvoting, but okay. ##unvote

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Quidnose posted:

I guess what I'm asking Pint is if that is what you would have done in his situation yesterday.

I would have tracked Murmur, I think. I don't see what information would be gained by tracking the cop. If Exakt is scum and you track him to the kill target, it's really easy for him to say "Great news, turns out Punt was town" and somewhat nullify the results of the tracker investigation. If Exakt is town, scum doesn't let him live through the night with useful information - he's either dead or his action fails, and tracking him did nothing.

Tracking a player that's scummy gives you information you didn't have. Tracking Exakt doesn't have much upside that I can see.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rarity, am I right that there's no breadcrumb hinting you were roleblocked n1?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I'm being a bit dense today, I'm sorry, class was hard after a 4 day weekend. I'm trying to make sense here.

So Rarity, the logic was along the lines of "This dude is probably going to die so I should try to catch someone going elsewhere?"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think the calculus changes if you know there's a scum role blocker. In that case, I think tracking Exakt is a defensible move.

If Exakt is a cop, he's now either going to get killed or role-blocked, so tracking him is essentially an investigation - if he goes somewhere, (and 100% of a 2 person scum team and 67% of a 3 person scum team is going to go somewhere), he's scum, and if he goes nowhere and stays alive, he's town.

I still don't know that it's what I would have done though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think the calculus changes if you know there's a scum role blocker. In that case, I think tracking Exakt is a defensible move.

If Exakt is a cop, he's now either going to get killed or role-blocked, so tracking him is essentially an investigation - if he goes somewhere, (and 100% of a 2 person scum team and 67% of a 3 person scum team is going to go somewhere), he's scum, and if he goes nowhere and stays alive, he's town.

I still don't know that it's what I would have done though.

So here's the deal: Rarity, having been Roleblocked N1, knew there was a role blocker, a common scum role.

And yet "well I knew the cop was going to be killed or roleblocked" hasn't functioned into Rarity's argument. It functioned in yours.

If I knew that I was role blocked N1, I think there's a great potential I would have been liked "welp no point in tracking the cop because he's going to be role blocked." And I'd sure as hell repeat that as my reasoning if I was asked specifically to explain what went into my thought process.

So I'm finding it odd that:

1. Rarity hasn't mentioned this at all.
2. You mentioned it as a reason right out the gate, because the information was provided at start of day. I didn't think about this when I was rereading the events at the beginning of the day, hence my question of "why the hell didn't you track the cop?"

"He's gonna die" is a reasonable thought. "He's going to die or get role blocked" is kind of odd unless you're paying A LOT of attention, Pint.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

Rarity, am I right that there's no breadcrumb hinting you were roleblocked n1?

There's not, I didn't even consider it tbh because I had no info to share.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quidnose posted:

I'm being a bit dense today, I'm sorry, class was hard after a 4 day weekend. I'm trying to make sense here.

So Rarity, the logic was along the lines of "This dude is probably going to die so I should try to catch someone going elsewhere?"

No it was a case of him already being essentially confirmed by the lack of a counter so I'd try my luck in getting a scum instead of wasting the night.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

No it was a case of him already being essentially confirmed by the lack of a counter so I'd try my luck in getting a scum instead of wasting the night.

Especially because with 2 scum and 6 players to choose from a 1 in 3 chance was fairly good odds.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rarity posted:

Innnnteresting, since you haven't gotten to the point I just made yet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Especially because with 2 scum PRs and 6 players to choose from a 1 in 3 chance was fairly good odds.

Mafia edit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quidnose posted:

Innnnteresting, since you haven't gotten to the point I just made yet.

That's my reasoning. I can't stay and argue it because I live in a hostel and all the other girls in my dorm are trying to sleep now and I'm not going to keep them awake.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Rarity posted:

Mafia edit

Two scum PRs?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You missed my big post.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Am I allowed to vote for the scum team yet?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

Hurt hasn't posted all day. That seems weird. Is it weird?

Yeah Pin said it, but we had Student-lead conferences today so I had to stay at school until about 5:30 and then I was making dinner and watching television with my family. Sorry I'm just fried today.

Rarity is telling the truth about me not going anywhere. I'm the plainest of Vanilla Towns.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Nobody has anything to say about my theory dump?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hurt is a newly minted school teacher, so he can't come on SA during the day. That seems normal.

Hi. Where did you learn this? He didn't mention it in thread.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Your big theory post doesn't have a clear thesis that I understand and can react to.

Quidnose posted:

Hi. Where did you learn this? He didn't mention it in thread.

This isn't the first game I've played with Hurt, and also he mentions it all the time in games (and in off-forum places like the viewer vistas for the Survivor games)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Your big theory post doesn't have a clear thesis that I understand and can react to.

Everyone learned there was a roleblocker when Exakt, our claimed cop, said "I was role blocked last night."

Everyone except for Rarity, who was Roleblocked N1, and therefore would have known there was a role blocker.

And yet, Rarity, in discussing why she chose to check out Dr. Hurt, only said "well my thought process was 'if the cop died, it would have been useless, and there was also no counter so what was the point.'"

She didn't say "also I knew there was a good chance that the cop would be role blocked since I knew there was a role blocker out there."

Ergo, I think Rarity is lying.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yep, I agree. Also murder twin, who stopped by to acknowledge that they are scum. Good game. ##vote Rarity

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
We still have plenty of time. Rarity, I'd really like to elaborate more on what you meant by saying that there were two scum power roles.

Somber, could you do a bit more casing? The way you're throwing out votes and latching on to other people's cases weirds me out a bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EXAKT Science posted:

Two scum PRs?

Ugh, I meant 2 visiting scum. It was late.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quidnose posted:

And yet, Rarity, in discussing why she chose to check out Dr. Hurt, only said "well my thought process was 'if the cop died, it would have been useless, and there was also no counter so what was the point.'"

I never said a thing about the cop dying. It wasn't part of my thought process.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

##vote rarity I honestly am finding your claim to be a bit suspicious.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Dr. Hurt posted:

##vote rarity I honestly am finding your claim to be a bit suspicious.

##vote rarity

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

##vote rarity :redhammer:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: This game will be better without Rarity!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sorry I played so lovely this game, guys. Told you it was LYLO.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Ah damnit. That tears things a bit.

If Rarity is telling the truth and Hurt went nowhere, there are a couple possibilities. The Scum Team would be Murmur, Pinterest, and Hurt or Quid. Roles would be Roleblocker/Goon and Godfather respectively. That is hard for me to accept. I was just scum with Pin and I feel like he's been on point this game.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Real life happens, Rarity, nobody can be mad at you for it.

• Locked thread